Carbo Closure

In the wake of yesterdays carbohydrate overload, I feel like need to let you in on a little something. Were that to have happened 3 years ago, things would have been very different. It would have not just been a huge afternoon snack, it would have been a full DAY of eating everything and anything in site that I usually didn’t let myself eat. I would’ve put my workout on hold and told myself that it would be the last time I would indulge in “junk food”. Without going into too much detail, I felt a little vulnerable posting that yesterday, but I know other people struggle with the same issues. I felt the temptation to just keep eating yesterday, but I couldn’t do that to myself. I’m a different person than I was 3 years ago and I have a healthier attitude about food (most of the time). Recently I wrote a post for Tina over at her blog Faith, Fitness, Fun and talked about my past issues. It was an honor to write for her blog and easier to write openly because no one really knew who I was. I would like to update my about page in the next few days and republish a version of the post. In case you want to check it out here’s the link:

Self Love Reflection- People Can Change

Yesterday, it was a struggle to not fall into old patterns. I’ve talked about my need to find a distraction before. That’s EXACTLY what I did.

Well, that one wasn’t by choice. After taking care of that “issue” though, I put on my shoes and decided to run our stairs that I use for my quickie backyard workouts.

I ended up running just a few times, because I kept having to retrieve balls.

These guys were having fun, but I got frustrated pretty quickly.

Look at them- just toying with me.

That was the last straw step. Smile

At least I got to see our tortoises. (I don’t go down in the back that often.)

Kitty wasn’t impressed with their actions either. I think he got lonely (or maybe he just appreciated being left alone).

Just in case you’re wondering, he’s not aloud outside. He can get sunburned. Steaming mad

Later last night I did manage to get on the treadmill and eat a healthy dinner and a relatively large dessert. I was tempted to just throw in the towel and find an excuse not to run or a reason to eat a fattening dinner (since I had already overindulged) and a crazy dessert, but I didn’t. I knew I would NOT be feeling good today if I did. Thank goodness.

Okay, well, I don’t want to ramble on and on (like I usually do), I just felt like that post needed a little closer.

I’ll leave you with a couple of fun things that happened today. I did not stick to my WIAW plan. Things always change as the day goes on. Ha!

I made the BIGGEST Mighty Green Microwave Muffin ever (and it didn’t explode).

The boys ate the WHOLE thing. (I’m so proud. Clean plate club honorary members just like their mama.)

Speaking of, I ate my whole high protein green microwave muffin too (with some PB2 and Naturally More on top).

Then Joaquin tried to feed his new little girlfriend some greens.

How awesome is that? I still can’t stop laughing. PS- it was done mouth to mouth.

Later in the afternoon I used my Cuisinart Griddler for the first time in about 6 months. I made sandwiches for the family with the crazy good jalapeño yogurt dip (dip, turkey, light Jarlsberg).

Don’t mind the dust.

And I DIDN’T burn the kale chips!!!!!

Lastly, I got a really exciting package in the mail. I LOVE Vitalicious!

It was the buy one get one free deal they had last week.

I even got a package of their new Vitabuns FREE!!!! Smile I wonder if that was a mistake.

I can’t wait to get my hands on these things! In fact, I’m going to dig in to a chocolate muffin right now with some STUFT Fro Yo (butter toffee flavor tonight). YUM!

Comments

Sandy says:

Hi Kristin,
    I just read your “people can change” article. Isn’t that the truth, says the sober girl of almost 2 years! yes, ME! As I listened to your words it made me feel like an eating disorder is like being an alcoholic, only maybe worse. You have to deal with food everyday, there is no getting around it, you have to! I have desires still, to drink, but I don’t have to look at alcohol, like you have to look at food. For me the key to getting sober was loving and respecting my mind, body and soul. Like my sister used to tell me, “fake it till you make it” So I went to the UnityCenter, my church. I started takeing better care of my body with excercise and eating better, I just did it, I faked it, UNTIL it eventually started to mean something….and I started to realize that I was not just this earthly body, I am a perfect soul created by God made to give love and get love…..I love myself now, I don’t want to hurt myself anymore. I respect myself and I honor myself more than I ever have….I wish it would’nt of taken me until I was 45 to figure this out, but at least I did….and Life Is Good!, isn’t it!

Sandy- you are amazing! I like the “Fake it until you make it”. What an inspirational story you have. Bravo to YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing and yes, life is Good.

Wow you’re so inspiring Sandy. What a wonderful story and I’m so happy for you…life is definitely good and no matter what age you did it, at least you have the courage and strength to make a change and finally start living, good for you and I’m so happy for you 🙂

Sandy says:

……I forgot to say, Bravo to you!

Annette says:

Ugh… You either have the food struggle or you don’t. I wish I didn’t and I always pray my girls don’t. It is so frustrating and it is part of every moment of every day….unfortunately. You are a true inspiration and give me motivation. I think having kids makes you realize there are way more important things in life. We want to be good examples for them. I can picture your day/struggle yesterday. I have had millions of those days. It is such a snowball/roller coaster. It feels so good, though, to conquer it like you did yesterday and have the power to say it can’t control you. Congratulations and keep up the great work in your life and on your site. P.S. I LOVE the Costco bread you shared. It is delicious. It is my new favorite.
    I also meant to post on your dirty bra blog—- I would definitely wear the dirty one. No one gets that close to me while I am working out 🙂 I can’t wear back up bras with these things. Only the real thing does the work.

Oh Annette- Thanks for your comment. I think the same thing abotu the boys. I think it’s different for them though, but I always aware of what kind of example I am for them. I felt like a hypocrite the other day drinking a Coke Zero in front of them becuase i would never let them have it. Kind of made me think a little (Now I’m drinking oen while they nap). Oops.
      Yes, the Costco bread. Something about it is so so good! 🙂
      And… I can’t thank you enough for reading and just for being so supportive with everything. You amaze and inspire me in so many ways.

Erin says:

I struggle with food everyday. Thanks for putting it all out on the table with this blog. I think being open about day-to-day (or meal-to-meal) struggles really helps because it takes away the shame and guilt. I’m glad you’ve been able to make so many amazing changes in the last three years!

Shannon says:

Hi Kristin! I found your blog thru your guest post on Tina’s blog. Thank you so much for sharing your story and being honest about your struggles. I’ve exchanged emails with Tina a few times over the binge eating issue. I’m struggling so much with it. I’ve become more conscious of it, but when I feel it coming on, it’s like an out of body experience. I can observe myself, but I feel like I can’t control it…like I can’t stop it. Last night was one of those nights for me. I went thru an entire jar of almond butter in 3 days. Normally, I don’t even keep it around for this reason and I just use PB2, but sometimes it makes its way into the house via the husband. It makes me feel so disappointed in myself because it’s impossible to reach my fitness goals with this looming problem. I’ve tried eveything – I have so many self help books on the subject, but I often feel like it’s a hopeless endeavor. I’d love any insight you could offer on this.

Shannon- I will definitely write you a personal email later tonight when I have more time. I hear you on the “out of body experience”. And I totally have those items that I try to not keep around the house. DEFINITELY NOT a hopeless endeavor. I think different thigns work for different people. Let’s talk over email!!!! 🙂 (Not that I’m an expert. I still struggle too!)

So inspiring for you to write this Kristin and I can totally relate to food struggles. I try to make healthy choices everyday, but sometimes a lil devil voice will pop in my head and tell me to restrict. But I push it down, ignore it, and go on with eating and living. Like Sandy said, I do feel having an eating disorder is like alcoholism…even though I’m healthier today, the disorder and voices will forever be with me, it’s just how I react to them that’s different now 🙂

deena says:

so proud of you. not only for all the changes you’ve made personally, but for being such an inspiration to so many people. i feel like binge eating is finally starting to get the attention it desperately needs and it’s through blogs/personal stories like yours that are truly making the difference. so thank you!

oh and get this… i actually mentioned it to my doctor once and she told me that it wasn’t an eating disorder and that unless i was purging, there was no true concern and that all people “overeat” when stressed or feeling emotional. here i was finally reaching out for help and she completely dismissed it as nothing. ugh. it wasn’t until recently that i realized how common it actually is and how harmful it can be both physically and mentally. and so, the journey to recover continues and i’m grateful to have you along the way!