Working It Out- Here’s The Thing

Yes, here’s the thing. This time of year it’s hard to make working out and taking care of yourself a priority. So many people figure it’s close enough to the new year and that’s when they’ll get back into their routine (or start a new one). People figure that during the holidays there are just too many other things that need to get done and working out gets put on the back burner.

I’m encouraging you to not let this happen. It’s more important now with all the holiday stress (and goodies) to take care of yourself. You might not have as much time to get full length workouts in, but any little bit you can fit in here and there will help.

Among the many benefits from exercise, it will help relieve stress, keep your metabolism up, help you sleep better, and just make you feel better over all.

My two rules I stick to during the month of December are these:

1. Watch Christmas movies on the treadmill. I let myself watch my favorite Christmas movies while running. It totally helps me look forward to my run and puts me in a good mood while doing it. Yesterday it was Love Actually. (If you haven’t seen that movie you should.)

2. Make the best use of your time by doing high intensity workouts. If I only have 20 minutes or so to try to fit in a workout I combine some high intensity moves and body weight training. You can burn a lot of calories in a short amount of time. Um, awesome.

So….

Here’s a little video of 4 moves that will do just that.

I use a BOSU, but you can do them without any equipment. The BOSU makes them more difficult and adds extra core work by adding in the whole balance factor.

When I do this I do each move for a minute or do sets of 50 (or 100) and go through 4-5 times.

BOSU Burpies

Mountain Climbers

Plank Jacks

Jumping Lunges

Video notes- The video is not the best. I shot it with my IPOD and they boys were not cooperating, but you can see the four moves.

Judah got a little frisky. Good thing there’s nothing there to show.

Joaquin has a pretty good workout of his own going on by pulling the poop scooper/pan. You can try that one instead if you want. My feelings won’t be hurt.

Here’s a couple other things:

This ab challenge is freaking awesome (as is the trainer).

I want to be Roxy.

I’m going to pretend I’m being personally trained when I’m trying out my variety of DVDS “my boyfriend” just sent me.

I can’t wait to try these! (I bought them even though I’m pretending he personally sent them to me. They were about $5 each form the Bob Harper website.)

Hey, that’s another way to motivate yourself-by doing workouts you like (and with people/trainers you like)!!!!

Here’s one last thing.

Some silly mama and her kiddos found their way onto the cover of the community recreation catalog.

Front Cover 11-16-11proof

Who do they think they are?

Thank goodness they spelled Mom and Tot correctly. Ha ha ha!

Have a great weekend!

One more day to enter the Spicing Things Up Again Giveaway!

Comments

Love your thoughts on making sure you get your workouts in during the holiday season! It couldn’t be said any better, and I totally agree.

Look at you on that magazine cover – love it! Very cute photo, and your arms are lookin’ hot! :)

Amy Zirkle says:

Thanks for the inspiring post – I too agree – somehow exercising daily helps me keep my sanity during this crazy (but loveliest) of seasons. I was so excited to find the sugar, chocolate and coffee bean grinder today at my weekly Trader Joe’s jaunt — and I have to say thank you for the flatout crisp recipe – I never would have thought of it until I read it here first :) . I made the savory ones but I plan to make the sweet ones this weekend. Enjoy your weekend!

Amy- Oh those Flatouts. They save me a lot. I know I can have my own serving of crackers or cinnamon crisps in a pinch. :) Sooo glad yo ufoudn that grinder at Trader Joe’s too. I love that thing!!!! Have you put it on anything yet? Hope you had a great weekend! Wait, is it over already? Ahh!!!

Watch Christmas movies on the treadmill – brilliant! I love how you multi-task! :) Your muffins look absolutely delicious. I have some extremely over ripe bananas that are just begging to be turned into some sort of baked good…think I know what to turn them in to! :) Have a great weekend!

Molly- running while watchign Christmas movies on the treadmill is truly one of my favorite things. Christmas movies are the best because they put you in a good mood anyway. Love it! Have fun with your over ripe bananas. :) Let me know if you make anything “green” with them.

Congrats on being on the cover of the magazine! That is awesome. And to think it all started when you and Kevin were in National Enquirer. I still have my copy. See you and the boys and Andrew in just two weeks!

Bob Harper = swoon. Except I’m not really digging his latest hairstyle. Thoughts?

Lindsay- they must have taped the show awhile back because his hair doen’t look like that anymore. It’s better now. :) he he! Swoon= good word and would work for the other Biggest Loser trainer also. :)

Those Bob DVDs look really good! I have one of his yoga ones and really love it. It’s the best at home yoga DVD I have ever found :) And that workout video made me really laugh. The poop scooper exercise looks very challenging ;)

Stephanie says:

I was planning to get on the treadmill and watch an episode of X-Files. Except that I’m alone tonight, and it gives me to creeps. So – in typical Stephanie logic – I was just going to run tomorrow instead. But no! After reading this, I’ll watch Elf and run and laugh. Right now. Thanks. ;)

Oo… X-Files. You’re brave. I can’t even watch that when I’m NOT alone. :) Elf would be a perfect treadmill movie. I bet running and laughing together burns more calories. :) Hope you had a great weekend Stephanie! I’m trying to figure out how I can copy your light box idea. :)

So I hate jumping lunges… and you did them with child!? Totally impressed. :)

That cover is ADORABLE! It could be your Christmas card and you’d just have to photoshop your husband in.

I…love…Bob….xoxo

Yowzah – that ab challenge looks hard! Roxy looks like she may have wanted to smack him during the video. :)

jennifer says:

I love the ab challenge and saw he has a butt challenge too! I will have to try it out! Adorable workout. Question: I have lots of spinach leaves and am inspired by you to add them to a persimmon muffin and cookie recipe I have. How much spinach do you add to muffins? Do you think I could substitute it for butter? And.. at Trader Joes today I discovered cocoa drizzled kettle corn! Oh my! I almost ate the whole bag when I got home! So good! Saw your brocolli slaw and thought of adding it to my weekly stirfry. Maybe next week. Adorable picture!

Jennifer- What? A butt challenge? How did I miss that? There’s a butt challenge in one of the videos I got I think.
      I add about 1-2 cups. I fill up the Magic Bullet loosely with spinahc leaves and add in the egg and mix. About a large handful.
      I did not see that kettle corn at Trader Joe’s. I’ll have to look the other way. Ha! I keep eying those chocolate covered potato chips though.
      You have GOT to try the broccoli slaw!!!!!

That cover is AWESOME! And how cool that your boyfriend sends you gifts, very romantic.

You might need to share your “boyfriend” as I’ve loved Mr. Bob for a while, although you did actually get to meet him (lucky girl).
    This holiday season my husband and I both decided we need to ramp up our workouts just so the holiday munchies don’t mess up our waistline (enter the 30 day shred with Jillian Michaels).
    And let me just say that magazine cover is SOOOO very cute. Love the idea of a mom and tot bootcamp, it could definitley allow more moms to work out.

Rachel- I have the 30 day shred. It’s good! Love that it’s short and tough. You just might need some Bob though. I have a feeling you and I share him with a lot of people. :)

Loving that magazine cover!!! You’re a super star celebrity!! ;) I have been making an effort to make time for exercise this month, and I feel fantastic as a result! Even 15 minutes is better than none at all! :D

1. [...] – 18 mile Long Run; Core (see video below – originally found of Kristin’s [...]

2. [...] I try to keep working out in perspective. I recently wrote a post on working out over the holidays. [...]