Warning: Declaration of StatigramWidget::widget($args) should be compatible with WP_Widget::widget($args, $instance) in /var/www/app/wp-content/plugins/instagram-image-gallery/plugin.php on line 0
“Must Do” Monday

“Must Do” Monday

I don’t mean to be bossy. In fact I rarely am (with the exception of training a few clients and occasionally with STUFT Daddy). But… I’ve come across a few things as of late that I really think are worth sharing (or telling you you “must do”).

I’m also going to make a conscious effort this week to make my posts meaningful. Enough jibjab of everything I have to do, more helpful information for you all. Good plan, yes?

Here we go. Your “must do” list for the week.

1. Never underestimate the power of sleep.

(Yes, I need to take my advice more often on this one.) We all know that we need sleep, but I saw this in Health Magazine this weekend that was a little unsettling.

Say what? Now I know when I skimp on sleep I’m more sluggish, crave more food, etc., but I did NOT know that it it causes your metabolism to slow down the next day. That is not okay. You know what else is not okay? The fact that your metabolism slows down as you get older. There’s not much we can do about that (except get moving and offset the process a bit by adding in some strength training into our routine), but we can do something about the zzzzzz’s.

Need another reason to get more sleep? (Why, yes, yes, I do.)

Look at what Dr. Oz said on Twitter. People who are sleep deprived consume more calories. Again, not okay.

Get some sleep. (Yes, I’m talking to myself too.)

2. Be prepared to fight off temptation.

Yesterday afternoon I found myself a little very overwhelmed, tired and anxious. I had a million things to do and didn’t want to face any of them. Back in the day (check out my looking back post to see what I’m talking about), I would have filled up on sugary, processed food to avoid tackling my mile long “to do” list. Yesterday I was in no way going to let that happen. I’ve learned through they years to find an alternative (whether it be a certain healthy food to carb cravings or a particular distraction).

Lately, when I feel like I want to consume a boat load of chocolate instead of being productive I make myself a dark chocolate peppermint mocha. Something about the rich chocolate, the peppermint and the caffeine seems to always save the day.

So next time you hear that voice in your head telling you to throw in the towel and stuff yourself silly, have a mocha (or healthy food/drink of choice) instead. If I can avoid temptation, anyone can. And why yes, there is a boat load of dirty dishes behind me in this particular picture.

3. Find healthy alternatives.

All that avoiding temptation talk being said, sometimes it’s okay to give into your cravings. I give in to my craving for cookie dough quite a bit actually. I do this with my chia cookie dough dip (which I’ve made twice in the past week) and just yesterday the boys and I all sat down and ate some healthy cookie dough dip for lunch.

It was marvelous.

4. Roast some vegetables.

We’ve been out of broccoli slaw for approximately 4 days. I know, I’m going a little crazy, but it has not stopped me from eating my fair share of broccoli. I’ve been roasting vegetables all weekend. My favorite things to do wit them is to take roasted broccoli (prepared exactly like roasted cauliflower) and dip it in marinara.

Check out my dinner Saturday night.

Roasted broccoli, roasted tempeh (Trader Joe’s organic) and some stuffed mushrooms (stuffed with nonfat cream cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic and parmesan).

It actually looked a little like this (complete with cheese sandwiches and my favorite wine and all).

(Andrew was out with some friends so I was living it up. Ha ha.)

My friend Chelsea just wrote a post on the basics of roasting vegetables. If it’s a new thing for you, you might want to check out her post here.

5. Eat broccoli.

This goes right along with the last one, but I felt like it needed it’s own number. Broccoli is freaking fabulous (so is spinach). I came across this Build a Better Body With Broccoli article yesterday and it made me smile. Read it. Then roast some broccoli like this or go buy some broccoli slaw and serve it up broccoli slaw spaghetti style or with some red pepper and tomato broccoli soup.

6. Get a “Fitness Pal’”.

I haven’t officially joined yet, but this program looks awesome and it has a great iPhone application. Here’s the website: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/. Who wants to sign up with me?

7. Show Flat Kitty your pantry.

Ha ha. Yeah, so this week I’m planning a little tour of my must-have pantry items for Flat Kitty Friday. If there’s an item you want to share email me your picture. If you have something else you’d rather share feel free to send it my way too. I just thought it would be fun to have a Flat Kitty pantry tour.

Okay, well, my list was supposed to be ten things, but since I hear the boys shouting “aminal park” from their cribs I better get a move on. Seven is a better number anyway.

This week might be a little quiet around here as I have a ton of STUFT Fitness business matters to attend to and another date with “my boyfriend” mid week. Not to mention my upcoming marathon is now just six days away. Ahhhhhhhh…..

Have a great day!

I love this guy.

Comments

Amy Zirkle says:

Hi Kristin -all so true indeed!!! I’m right there with you on finding the right way to fight temptation – last week my older son was home sick from school which meant working at home for me – and doing a lot of writing – thank goodness for roasted veggies – did up a big batch and ate some of those while sitting at the desk plugging away. Oh and I got the flatouts and plan to make those sugar cinnamon crisps today – have a great day!!!!

PS – found some Asics that I like better for working out so the Saucony’s are now my chasing around shoes on the weekend – take care,

Bonnie says:

Great thoughts this morning, Kristin! Thanks for sharing some inspiration! And I’m pumped about your marathon! Since I’m new(ish) to your blog, I’m wondering if you’ve done one before or if this is your first one? Wish I was flying down to enjoy some CA weather and run it – or just meet you for a peppermint mocha in your kitchen. 😉 I know you’ll do well and really respect you for being a mom and training – it’s okay if other things don’t get done. 😀 Have a great Monday!

Thanks Bonnie. I ran the same marathon last year with a horrible head cold. I’ve done quite a few half marathons, but this will be my second full marathon. I wish you could come down here and enjoy the weather over a mocha too. Someday………

Bonnie says:

PS – I love that guy at the end too. 😉

I love my chocolate peppermint mocha too…who needs Starbucks?! I am on myfitnesspal and love it. I also love broccoli. I don’t roast it much, but perhaps I should!

Sleep is definitely the best thing we can do for everything…and it’s so much fun! I’m with you on those healthy alternatives. I think you can make anything healthy, you just have to be creative. Flat Kitty in the pantry…what a fantastic idea! 😉 *runs off to take pictures*…
    P.S. – I can’t believe your marathon is already in 6 days!!

Annette Bailey says:

So funny! I just dowloaded and signed up for My Fitness Pal yesterday. I have a friend who told me about it. Pretty cool! I will have to keep experimenting. She said it even has a barcode scanner to scan foods but I haven’t found that.

Oh yay- we’ll have to chat about it next time we’re together. Yes, I heard about the whole barcode scanner things too! Fun! Now if I only had some time to play around with it……… 🙂

Seven is my favourite number. I don’t know why but it is 🙂 I love the tips and they have come at a good time. I’m usually pretty good at going to bed early but then other stuff (laundry, toy pick-up, etc.) gets neglected. One day we will have it all figured out – right?!

Seven is my favorite number too! I was born at in 1977 and 7 at night and weighed 7 lbs 7 ounces. Pretty cool huh? And yes, one day we’ll have it all figured out Jenny. Maybe we should clear our head with a little Lulu shopping date. Ha ha!

Can I get some more hours in the day so that I can catch more zzzzs?! 😉

Great tips! And I totally agree with the sleep one. We’ve been trying to be in bed by 10 and it has SO helped with my mood and energy the next day! Well worth missing some of the later tv shows for it!

Ahhhh honey, I need to sleep more!! I find my body functions better, my skin glows and I feel 100% better when I sleep, but lately its been a challenge….esp while traveling with a team of rocking peeps, we never sleep! LOL!!!

I need to try this peppermint mocha!!

xxoo

I think we all need to sleep more. It catches up with you for sure!!!! 🙂 I bet it’s so hard with your crazy schedule. I don’t evne travel and I can’t find time. Hugs Kris!

Oooh what a great “must do” list! I LOVE peppermint mocha!! I always get excited for the holidays because of the flavored coffees/creamers – and thus resulting in being equally bummed when the holidays end and those yummy flavors leave the shelves.

I have used myfitnesspal in the past… and am wanting to begin using it again. It is a fantastic program with ease of use! If you decide to join, I would love to ‘friend’ ya 😉

I know, I get bummed when the holidays are over too. That’s why I jst keep drinking these. Ha ha! And yes, let’s be fitness pal friends. I have no idea how that works though so you may have to help me out once I sign up.

Great tips. I’ve learned to ALWAYS be prepared. Especially with kids. Always have healthy snacks prepared and always have a meal plan. It keeps me and my family on track!

Kristen- that’s one things I’ve kind of dropped the ball on. I used ot plan out every meal, but these days I’m scrambling a lot. Thansk for the tip. I’ve got my schedule out as I write this! 🙂 Have a great day!

Katie says:

I just starting using MyFitnessPal today!

Oooo, I am totally down with a Flat Kitty pantry raid! (Get it? Like panty raid, but pantry? I crack myself UP.) I too have been making sleep more of a priority, and I’m SO glad! I love my zzzzz’s! 🙂

I am not shy at all on my thoughts on sleep. Gotta have at least 8 hours. So important!
    Mmm roasting veggies makes them so tasty! I roasted cauliflower the other night and it made it taste like popcorn!

Oh yes, cauliflower is one of my favorites. I dip it in marinara (as I do with pretty much everything). Ha! Someday I’ll get 8 hours of sleep a night. Right now I’m shooting for 7. 🙂 Baby steps. Have a great day Paige!

I am so guilty of not getting enough sleep. I’m definitely going to focus on that more. Roasted broccoli is the best! I love those crispy little trees! Cookie dough is on the list to make this week! I have to have it!

6 days – OMG!!! Do you have a time goal for this marathon (I apologize if you already shared that and I forgot)? I’ll have to track you online, so you can hear me cheering you on in your head. So exciting!!! =)

I should have made a hot chocolate tonight instead of a peanut butter s’more – I gave in to my cravings for sure!

Heather- you can never go wrong with a peanut butter s’more. Ha ha! I’m not sure of my time goal. I definitely want to finish in less that 4 hours, but I wnat to look over Boston qualifying times and see if I can get close to that. We’ll see…… your race is coming up too!!!!!!

lindsay says:

send me a flat kitty via email. I will cuddle with him and maybe he will make me sleep better. teehee.

Sara says:

This has encouraged me to be more creative w/ broccoli (I always just steam it. So boring.) AND I read that about sleep but somehow it hasn’t motivated me enough to actually do it. What am I waiting for? We love our Flat Kitty–thank you for sending it. Made our Saturday. My husband is already thinking of ways I can photograph him. He suggested I take him with me to my work meeting last night (I work part-time as a board secretary for a group of farmers, basically.) That would’ve been interesting but I’m sure they wouldn’t have understood Flat Kitty at all.

I know, reading about sleep and actually doing it are totally different things. But…. that whole slowing your metaboism things got me. Not okay. I’m os excited that you like your Flat Kitty! Yay! Would love to see Flat Kitty in a board meeting. You just made me think that I need to send him with Andrew to work…… Hmm… I wonder if he’ll survive. Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

1. […] “Must Do Monday” […]

2. […] – Getting 80 minutes less sleep a night made people eat on average 550 more calories the following day. (Not good. I wrote about the importance of sleep in this post.) […]

3. […] up. Actually, that’s lie. I’m pretty sure it’s stress and lack of sleep. I just reread my post on the importance of sleep and saw Dr. Oz said sleep deprived people consumed 300 more calories a day. I think I heard on […]