Carlsbad Marathon 2012

I have to get a quick marathon recap done while everything is still fresh in my head and before I have my celebratory glass (or two) of wine.

I’ll do all the food talk on my What I Ate Wednesday post later this week, but for now I’ll just talk race. Okay with you?

Good.

Well, as most of you know I was feeling sick the past two days. Not sure what happened, if it was a stomach bug or what, but it was not good. I still wasn’t feeling well last night and this morning I was not my usual prerace self.

I did walk out the door with just about everything I needed except for my race bib and timing chip this morning. Now that just would NOT have been good at all. Luckily, I figured it out before Mom and I actually got in the car.

We got to the race about 10 minutes before the start time. In typical Kristin fashion I was in the porta potty when the start gun went off at 6 am. Lovely. At least I waited until after the National Anthem to use it, right? By the way, the National Anthem always gets me before a race. I always get choked up.

I was one of the last people to cross the starting line, but still tried to take a quick picture.

starting line

Not the best picture or the best idea as I used the first mile fumbling with my phone, headphones, gloves (I lost one along the way), etc. to get everything in the right place. I was off to a pretty slow start in the pitch black.

Let me just say when you run 26.2 miles you have a lot of time to think. Mom asked me what I thought about and I told her it depends on the mile. It truly does. I also do quite a bit of talking to myself (in my head only). I’m guessing others are doing the same.

Here’s a rough look at what I’m dealing with mentally on the road. Not sure of exact mileage, but you’ll get the picture.

Mile 1- Really? Is a “mile 1” sign even necessary? That is just mean.

Mile 2- Holy stomach, why do you hurt so bad?

Mile 3- I like that girl’s pants. I wonder where she got them.

Mile 4- Dang my pace is slow and if I’m trying to qualify for Boston I better pick it up.

Mile 5- Hmm… about 3 more hours or so to go. No big deal.

Mile 6- Kristin, you are finally feeling okay. Let’s do this. Time to get serious.

Mile 7- I am the luckiest person in the world to be able to do this.

Mile 8- Bonnie told me to “leave it all on the road”. That’s exactly what I’m going to do.

Mile 9- Kristin, you get your GU Chomps at one more mile. Take them out of your shirt already.

Mile 10- Watermelon GU Chomps? Don’t mind if I do.

Mile 11- It’s starting to get hot and I’m not sure how those chomps are making my stomach feel.

Mile 12- You’re fine Kristin. Hang in there. Take it easy. Remember what Andrew always says, “Don’t be a hero.”

Mile 13- Sweatshirt is coming off. I hope someone who really needs it picks it up.

Mile 14- Alright it’s time for some music. Playlist on. Favorites for the race included Journey, Pitbull, Ne-Yo, Kelly Clarkson, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, and Cee Lo Green.

Mile 15- Hey, only 11 more to go.

Mile 16- Um, yes, this will be the perfect bathroom stop. Thank you porta potties for being here.

Mile 17- I wonder if Dad, Andrew and the boys made it here yet.

Mile 18- Hmm… where are we going to go for breakfast. And,,, what am I going to make Andrew go pick up for dinner?

Mile 19- How in the heck did I get here? What just happened?

Mile 20- HALFWAY!!! (Marathoners say your not half way until your at mile 20. I found out why my first marathon last year.)

Mile 21- Whoa, that guy in front of me just put the hugest gob of Vaseline on his nipples. So that’s why they keep passing that out.

Mile 22- Hmm… legs are starting to really hurt. I am thirsty.

Mile 23- Speed it up friend, there’s only 3 miles to go and you’ve got some very important people waiting for you at the finish line.

Mile 24- I guess I’m not qualifying for Boston. But I’m going to finish this race the best that I can.

Mile 25- Ahh… less that 10 minutes to go. I can do this. Thank you downhill slope. Dang that girl for passing me this close to the end.

Mile 26- Where the heck has mile 26 been all my life?

Mile 26.2- Finish………… Done. I made it. I do NOT feel well and I need to post on Facebook that I’m done.

Phew.

After slowly walking through the exit and “accidently” grabbing two goodie bags, I found the family.

Wouldn’t you know after begging Andrew to bring my nice camera I had it set on the self-timer (I must have been taking pictures of myself the last time I used it- that’s weird) so there was a 10 second delay. This picture is when we figured that out.

He must have some skill though because he did manage to get me finishing.

See me way over there? Ha ha!

We got the camera situation figured out and annoyed a few people by trying to snap some pictures.

Yeah, I know what you’re thinking. How cool is that sign?

My mom never disappoints. She even put Flat Kitty on there. Love her. LOVE her.

(I’m not sure that girl walking by is too impressed though. I think she might need a Flat Kitty in her life.)

We were out of there pretty quickly because the boys were done (and so was I). This was my favorite picture though. It just makes me smile.

instagram race

We all went out to breakfast afterwards.

You better believe I ate my fair share of food- egg whites, turkey sausage, hash browns and 3/4 Belgium waffle.

And once we got home I made everyone take a few more pictures because well, I’m just that person.

And Andrew is just this photographer.

Ugh.

It was a good race. I loved every minute of it.

My second full marathon is in the books.

image

I didn’t qualify for Boston or reach my other goal of getting 500 Facebook “likes” on my Facebook page, but that’s okay. Life is all about the journey, and while I’m all about the following quote:

image

I also am a true believer in having to work hard to get there. I may not have succeeded today in my big goals, but I know someday I will. Life is about dreaming big, taking chances and going for it. It’s not about how long it takes to get there, it’s about the journey along the way. The times we have to pick ourselves up and try again just make us stronger and more determined.

Oh man, now I’m just getting sappy.

With that, I’m signing off for a couple days to rest and recover. I need to get some life things in order around here that have been put on the back burner lately. Poor STUFT Daddy has been picking up my slack for a little too long. Have I told you how amazing he is? I am one lucky lady.

All in all I am blessed with the amazing ability to be able to run, darn proud of finishing a marathon today and even prouder to be the mama of these guys.

Yep. Best moment of the day.

Hugs!

I’m off to finally have my wine I’ve been waiting for all day and spend some quality time with my main man.

Comments

Kris says:

you ROCK, mama. I love this recap!

and baaa HAAA… why IS there a mile one?? seriously, that IS just mean. I have thought that before, probably eye rolled as I ran past. ;) XXO!

I know, I want to kick that darn mile 1 sign every time. :) You’re in my thoughts and prayers friend. :) And….. those fabulous twinkies of yours are on my “must make” list. :)

TriGirl says:

Again, congrats!!! I have huge race envy these days, as I was supposed to run my first full in November but I got sidelined. So, I want to be where you are right now!!

Mama Pea says:

Good job, sister! You take however long you need to recover and do what you do. And have a glass of wine for me. :)

Thanks Sarah. I’m so looking forward to resting and finally taking care of myself this week. Just read your amazing post. :) Oh, and had a glass of wine for you last night too. :)

Annette says:

Congrats! Such cute pictures. Get some rest!

Thanks Annette! Sooooo awesome that Andrew and the boys were there at the end. :) Rest is priority this week (and finally getting around to thank you cards- one is on the way for you). :)

Congrats lovely lady! I love the pictures of you and your boys – who knows, maybe one day you’ll all have finisher medals around your necks :)

Thanks Jenny! Oh… that would be so cool to all have medals around our necks. They already love running by the stroller. :) We’ll see what life has in store. :)

Sasha says:

Congrats Kris! So proud of you and love the photos of you and the boys. :)

Thanks Sash. Hope your trip is going well! :) Miss you! Thought of you yesterday and how nice it was that you were all there last year at the finish line. Who the heck has best friends like that? :)

Jessica says:

Congrats Kristen! You are an amazing women and I am proud of you. Take some time for you, lord only knows you deserve it. I was thinking about you late last night and this morning and hoping that you were feeling better. I can’t imagine running a marathon, but I have no idea how you did it when you didn’t feel well. I hope you feel better soon and your recovery from the race is quick.

Jennifer Mykytiuk says:

I am so proud of you! Way to go! First of all, Boston or not, that is an AMAZING finish time. Iaughed that you got to the race 10 min. before because that is SO me! Your thought process is WAY better than mine was my first marathon. I think from mile 20 only I could only think, “go, go., go”. There was not energy left to think anything else! Hoping I do better this time around in LA. And.. I can’t believe you made it to mile 14 before music! I could only if I was with someone and could talk along the way. You are hard core! Congrats! Enjoy your break and get some rest!

Thanks Jennifer. Mile 20 was a lot different this time than my first. By mile 20 last year I was barely surviving, this year it was a little better. :) So excited for you and LA. :) You’ll do great! Oh…. and off topic, but glad you like the Flatout crisps. We love them over here. :)

lindsay says:

you qualified for boston in my book! AMAZING!!! Your thoughts sound like mine. Except mile 18 is where i hit the wall. Way to go friend!!

Shannon says:

Congratulations, Kristin!!!! That is an awesome finish time – Boston or not. Running is so much a mental thing, an I truly envy anyone tough enough to hang in there with it. You definitely need to rest!! Congrats again! You are a rockstar!! xoxo :)

Shannon- oh my goodness yes, such a mental thing. It’s so easy to stop and give up, but you jst have to stay focused. :) You are too nice. Hopefully I do what I plan this week and rest like I’m supposed to. :)

Amy Zirkle says:

WOO HOO — YOU ROCK –I am so inspired – having never really ran an organized event I bow down to you – on my bucket list is to run a 5 K – (LOL). Congratulations on starting, finishing, and really savoring the journey both physically and mentally through the marathon – and for putting together an inspiring post – enjoy a rest day!!!!
    take care, amy

Oh Amy- you should totally run a 5K. You would love it! It’s so fun to see everyone out there. Thanks for the congrats and your kind words. Happy Monday to you! :)

That is SO exciting!!! GIRL look at your arms! You are amazing :)

Dang you have an amazing smile! I am so proud of you and I love your energy! You are such an incredible person and you can achieve your goals. Life is not easy, but dang when you get to where you’re heading it feels like such an accomplishment. I hope you had a restful night and again, Kristin, I’m so incredibly proud of you and inspired by you! Thank you for sharing this.

Oh and why don’t they make sports bras/tanks for guys so their nipples don’t chafe?

Sarena- YOU are inspiring friend. :) I love your positive attitude and outlook on life. :) Life is definitely not easy and I have some big carer decisions I’m facign head on in the next few weeks that scare the heck out of me, but I need to take things one step at a time. :) Thank you for your nice comments all the time. And yeah, they really need to make some special thing for guys. I did see them selling special nipple guards at the expo. I wonder if they help. Ha ha.

Awww, that was a beautiful recap. Awesome job! I jokingly say I will qualify for Boston when I am in the 80-85 age group so I have just got to keep running that long! (And keep up my current pace – lol!)

Ha ha! Yeah, maybe if I was in that age group I could’ve qualified. Ha ha. Thansk for your support and nice tweets. :) Good luck with your training! I know you’ll do great!

Megan says:

Awesome job!! I LOVE the thoughts through the miles – I should seriously write down what I think about as well. So random. :) And the last picture is absolutely adorable! What a great fan club to have as you finished your marathon!

Thanks Megan. I’m sure there was so much more that went through my head, but it all goes out the window once I’m done. Ha ha. Yeah, you should write your down. And too bad my fan club was cheering for my hubby in the last picture instead of me. Ha ha. I still love them though. They’re the best! :)

Marcia says:

Congrats!! What an awesome race you ran!!!! Great pictures too. Thanks for the recap and the INSPIRATION!

Jen Crandall says:

Amazing and inspiring post!! You are so right that it is all about the journey. How can you not enjoy the journey with those two adorable smiling faces!!

Jen- yes ALL about the journey and I have to remind myself of that a lot. :) Those smiling faces make my day EVERY DAY! I am one lucky lady. :) Thanks for reading!

Woot! Congratulations! You did awesome!! I love your signs and post race pictures with your family/kids!! I want to (and WILL) run a FULL marathon someday!! :)

Ha ha. There was a guy that finished before me carrying a sing that said “woot woot”. I was not happy that he beat me carrying a sign. I had to laugh when I just read that. And yes, you WILL run a marathon someday and you’ll love it!!!!!! :)

I love the play by play thought process mile to mile. It’s my favorite way to read recaps and captures it perfectly. :)

You did GREAT! And you have to know that you inspire me so much.

You are amazing. Even if I physically trained for a marathon I don’t know if I’d have the mental fortitude to finish. Maybe I could do a spinning marathon but not on my feet. Enjoy your family time (and wine)!

I LOVE the mile by mile thoughts. Congrats on a great finish – You rock! And you have killer arms. :)

Love your race recap and your attitude!! I have had the same marathon goal for the last 3 years (4 hours – will break it this year), so I think setting a lofty goal is a great way to approach a race! It’s the extra push you need when you CAN go faster but don’t want to, but also it’s a goal – not always something we’ll hit. Congratulations on an awesome second marathon!!

Beth Petrassi says:

My new goal for 2012… Run a marathon. Maybe… Okay – a 1/2 marathon at least. Maybe… Okay – I am going to need help, glad I have your blog and the 1 to 2 times a week I get to be inspired personally by you. Great recap of your race. Congrats on a job well done!!!

Bonnie says:

Truly, truly amazing job, Kristin! I’m sure you’re disappointed you didn’t BQ, but you seem so positive and like your perspective about the accomplishment is right on. :D And either way, you certainly left it all on the pavement (fun you thought of me!) and I really think you’re incredible. :D What a supportive husband and wonderful family too – God is good!

way to go!!! you’re such an inspiration… being a mom to two adorable twin boys, finishing a marathon, leading a healthy lifestyle, being a great wife!! keep it up! and enjoy your catch up time! :) love all the photos!

Ashley- thank you. And thank you for all your links lately. Everytime I see one I get so excited. You are just awesome. :) And don’t let me fool you….. I’m barely making it through some days. ha ha!

Becca says:

Wow! You are truly an amazing person. I love your blog, and I love all of the inspiration that comes with it. I can not wait to run my first marathon. :)

You. Are. Awesome.

Seriously. You rocked this race! Maybe you didn’t qualify for Boston, but there’s plenty of time for that and if I know one thing about you it’s that if you set your mind to something you will DO IT! :) Oh, and I love the mile-by-mile commentary. :)

Thanks Molly. YOU are awesome too! :) I’ve been having trouble getting to your blog lately. I don’t think it likes me very much. The page won’t load.

What pants are you using to run in? They look great! :)

Becca says:

Kristen,
    Did you follow any particular program when training for the marathon?

Thanks,
    Becca :)

Becca- I didn’t. I always say that I should, but I just find time to get the mileage in. There are some really great ones out there though for all different levels. :) If I sign up for another one soon, I’m going to try to find a good training plan that incorporates some speed training and stuff. :)

Awesome race report! I can identify with so many of those thought patterns. And I was actually thinking, what a great sign!! before you said so. :) Congrats!!

Thanks Laura. I figured other runners would be abel to relate to the thoughts. Oh and the sign… I kind of want to carry it around all the time. Ha ha!

BAD. ASS! You are seriously awesome!!! :D

1. [...] know I wasn’t planning on posting for a couple of days because I really need to recover after my marathon yesterday, but, you know, of course the day I “should” be resting I got word of a possible opportunity [...]

2. [...] planned on posting a What I Ate Wednesday post on what I ate before and after my marathon on Sunday, but I’m not motivated at the moment and I’m actually not sure it’s something you [...]

3. [...] what everyone eats (I’m nosy like that) so here’s a quick peak into what I ate before and after my marathon [...]

4. [...] by chance. This week I’ve been working my butt off (while I should’ve been resting from the my marathon), but I feel good about what I put [...]

5. [...] lately. I actually think it was some kind of a bug that I just couldn’t fully get over after my marathon (and my inability to rest and recover with my hectic schedule). I’m sure there’s some food [...]

6. [...] Roll San Diego Marathon and Half Marathon. I had almost signed up for this race awhile back at the Carlsbad Marathon 2012 expo, but decided against it since my race schedule was already pretty [...]

7. [...] ran the Carlsbad Marathon the past two years also and have recaps here on the blog 2012 and 2013. It’s kind of funny to look back and read [...]