What I Ate Before and After the Marathon and Low Fat Red Velvet Cupcakes

I was feeling a little guilty for not posting what I had planned yesterday. I like to see what everyone eats (I’m nosy like that) so here’s a quick peak into what I ate before and after my marathon Sunday.

Ready?

My go-to pre-race meal is always the same: whole wheat pasta with marinara sauce. This time I mixed in some broccoli, mushrooms, onion and tomatoes into the sauce and topped it with a little fat free feta. You know I love my spice, but after my little incident with America’s Finest City Half Marathon, I try to lay off the crushed red pepper the night before a big race. Ha ha.

Dessert was this. Smallest dessert I’ve ever had (yes, that’s a bite size one, not the fun size, even smaller- just silly). I was trying to play it safe and I knew I would have my fair share after the race.

Pre-race breakfast for marathons is a banana and Naturally More sandwich on my favorite bread made in my sandwich maker with a mocha. If I’m only running a half I ditch the one slice of bread or forgo the bread and just go with a banana and peanut butter. This time I added some chia sprinkles to the inside of my sandwich (because I have this newly found chia addiction thanks to GNC).

I blame Grandma D’s driving for the bad photo (or the fact that it was 5:00 am and I was not feeling well). Since my stomach was already hurting I couldn’t even finish my mocha or that banana half. I gave the banana to Grandma D as as “thank you for getting up at the crack of dawn to drive me to my race” gift.

Along the way during the race I had a packet of watermelon GU Chomps at mile 13 and then a GU gel Octane blueberry pomegranate flavor around mile 21. Sorry no pictures.That would have just been silly to stop and take a picture during the race.

At the aid stations they offer a lot of electrolyte drinks, but my stomach doesn’t really like too much of that while I’m running. When I’m doing long training runs on my own I always drink Ultima, but during races I usually go for water with my GU.

After the race the family went out to breakfast at Centre City Café here in town. I ordered egg whites and turkey sausage and I traded a sausage patty for a scoop of the boys’ hash browns.

Oh and they just happen to come with a huge Belgian waffle.

I ate 3/4 of it with a mix of sugar free syrup and the real warm maple good stuff. Best waffle I’ve ever had. Well, you know, that wasn’t green and all.

Later in the day I snacked on a few Trader Joe’s honey wheat pretzels and had one of these protein bars.

Side note on these bars. I found them at Costco and got them because they’re around 200 calories and have very little sugar. They’re okay. Not the best. The best by far are Supreme Protein bars (I order those frequently from All Star Health for the best price), but these do the trick.

Now dinner……. you’ve seen it before since I eat it pretty much after every race. I had to snap this picture really quick because Andrew (and an episode of The Office) was waiting for me in the other room. Antipasto salad (I don’t eat any of the meat) with this dressing and two ginormous slices of vegetarian pizza from our favorite local pizza place Filippi’s.

Oh, and wine of course.

Thank you Costco for carrying this wine and selling it for $7.99 a bottle.

Dessert was this ice cream

with one of these low fat red velvet cupcakes the boys talked me into making earlier in the afternoon.

It looked a little like this.

Yep. That’s a post marathon dessert all right.

Wait, what? You want to know more about the cupcakes?

Alright.

First of all, it wasn’t my idea. I wanted to rest. These guys wanted to make another version of low fat boxed cupcakes.

IMG_8573IMG_8574IMG_8571

And a certain someone wanted to help of course.

We used our Easiest Boxed Cake Recipe trick, but this time subbed in some pumpkin instead of the applesauce.

I have to admit I was pretty impressed with how they came out. I’ll also just go ahead and speak for Andrew and the boys also, because they way we went through those cupcakes I think they were impressed too.

Here you go:

Best Low Fat Boxed Red Velvet Cupcakes

Ingredients:

1 box red velvet cake mix

1 cup egg substitute

1/2 cup pumpkin

1 cup water

Follow box directions using the cake mix and the above ingredients.

They don’t come out crumbly at all like other low fat versions. They are spongy and moist and well, just awesome.

They’re even great without the frosting, but sometimes you just have to go all out and put the jarred stuff on there.

There you go!

Now I need some Flat Kitty Friday pictures for our Flat Kitty peanut butter par-tay tomorrow. Email me or post your pictures on my Facebook page with a link or recipe or whatever you want to share!!! Anything peanut buttery. Recipe, favorite treat, favorite way to eat peanut butter, favorite brand, whatever your heart desires.

Email me if you need me to send you a Flat Kitty as well. You’ll just have to cut him out yourself!

Have a great day!

We’re making another video today. Yippee!

Comments

Yeah! You’re WIAMD post ;) LOL! And I love waffles and have not had one in WAY too long. Think I might remedy that this weekend….

Jody says:

You eat so much better than I do after my marathons. For some reason I feel like it’s a free for all and pretty much eat all the things I normally won’t during that day. I am taking notes :)

Another side note – I have a really low-fat easy way to make cakes/cupcakes. If you are making a white cake add a can of diet sprite to the mix with one egg white. That’s it. If it’s a chocolate cake use diet coke (or coke zero) and one egg white. They turn out wonderful! One other thing I noticed at my grocery store. Sugar free cake mix and sugar free frosting. I haven’t bought it though because I don’t want to give that much sugar free stuff to my kids. Someday when it’s only me eating it I will test it out.

I’ve done that before with the soda. I wasn’t a big fan of the texture though. They got a little sticky. I guess I need to try it again. And…. I’ve tried the sugar free cake mixes. They’re good. Definitely worth a try Jody. :)

Looks like some good eats! I eat the Pure Protein bars – would love to try the Supreme but the stores around here only have the massive versions. I supposed I could not be lazy and just order them online…

Bet that red wine was great with the red cupcakes. :) I uses the soda trick in my s’mores brownies (didn’t notice a texture issue, but I did it with brownie mix… maybe that makes a difference?). Love, love the idea of using pumpkin!

The pumpkin worked much better than I thought. And you’re right- the wine went really well with the cupcakes. He he. :) FYI- my broccoli wasn’t as bad as I thought tonight. :)

Heather says:

Congrats on the marathon! Amazing! Also, you have no idea how grumpy I am after I read one of your Filippi’s posts – man, I miss that place! Enjoy it, I have yet to find anything that comes close to it’s deliciousness here in Tejas!

All your food looks so YUMMY, especially the post-race pizza and dessert! What better way to reward yourself! I haven’t had a red velvet cake or cupcake in a while. I’m a sucker for anything with frosting on top. So glad I stumbled across your blog and looking forward to following you. Thanks!

I loooooove protein bars!! How are these ones form TJ’s???

Girl, I wanna come eat with you before and after a race ;) Gorgeous and fun food!!

xxoo

Stephanie says:

Is it weird that I half-want to be a marathon runner just so that I can eat more? Ha! Those cupcakes look good. I’ve never tried red velvet before, but it seems to be everywhere in blogland.

Nice eats! My kids are afraid of the color or red velvet cake. My kids are freaks! They won’t touch them even though I tell them they taste like chocolate. Sounds like you had some incredibly delicious fuel!

Brandy says:

Is the pumpkin flavor really strong in the cupcakes? Not that I wouldn’t like it, I love pumpkin stuff.

wowee, lots of GREAT looking eats! i think we have pretty similar taste buds. ;) i like that you fuel your body with healthy choices even the day before and after your marathon. i’m sure it would be easy to give yourself plenty of excuses to eat whatever you wanted, but you still stuck to healthy (but delicious!) meals and snacks. i definitely need to try out your healthy boxed cupcakes! yum! i’m a huge fan of red velvet too, so i’m sure they’d be a winner in my book!

Chels R. says:

Yummy looking cupcakes! Oh and I loooove that Red Velvet Cupcake vino.

I still can’t believe you pulled that marathon out not feeling so well. I could probably run with a cold or something but not stomach stuff. Your kids are going to grow up thinking marathons are a usual thing and will eventually think everyone else is a wuss. Ok not really…but they are going to be proud of their ubber strong Mommy when they are old enough to understand all this!
    PS- I hope you get some quiet time to catch up on Ben & Bob ;)

Waffles have offically invaded my mind! I told Andrew last night that I wanted waffles and he actually went on eBay to try and find a cast iron waffle maker for the stove (because that won’t be messy at all!) Maybe he should just take me out for breakfast :) I love seeing what people eat before, during and after a race. It always gives me ideas. I’m more of a brown rice girl the night before a race but the pasta does look yummy.

Sara says:

I like to see what people eat too because it gives me meal ideas :-) Those cupcakes sound delish!

Juliana says:

Instead of using applesauce and subbing for the pumpkin mix, does it come out tasting like pumpkin or is that just to keep the moisture and what not? These sound delish! Thanks!

Nikki says:

Can you use 100% real egg whites in the carton or the egg substitute? Will it effect anything?

1. [...] exactly (except for egg substitute instead of real eggs). I didn’t even make my low fat versions (this or this) like I usually [...]

2. [...] boys and I made some low fat red velvet cupcakes the other [...]