Let’s Chat- Wellness, Eats, and a Recipe

I just feel like chatting today. I hope that’s okay. I haven’t posted about what we’ve been eating or our daily shenanigans for awhile and I miss it.

Can you tell my guys have different personalities? Can you guess what they’ve been having for dessert every night?

Yep. That’s right. Three ingredient fudge. Only sometimes for them I use real peanut butter because I’m selfish and hoard my PB2. They call it “BAnana PUdding”. Conveniently, I usually have to give baths right afterward while Andrew has to clean up the high chairs. Not sure who has it worse.

Moving on.

I am not my usual self. I’ve pretty much been sick since Super Bowl Sunday. Not fun. My stomach has hurt every single day and the things I’ve been eating have been random. Just today I realized that we haven’t had broccoli slaw in the house for over a week. What the? I can’t remember the last time that has happened. The worst part about it is that I don’t even want it. So sad. So not normal. Someone help me.

I also just got off the phone with my doctor about my tummy troubles and he told me to stay away from dairy products for a couple of days.

yogurt bed

Oops. That was the only thing my stomach could handle last night. It was delicious. Peanut butter, chocolate and a little cake batter. The best combination. And I ate it in bed.

My doctor also told me to continue to work on decreasing my activity (a whole other issue I have going on over here with my hormones,etc.). Done. Especially this week. It’s been very humbling to not be able to exercise as usual and barely being able to run. I’ve been making it through my classes, but additional running and workouts have been pretty limited. It makes me really appreciate the times when I can work out and feel good doing it. Hopefully I can get back to that soon (but at a decreased level).

I made a couple of big decisions the other day regarding health/wellness. First, I joined the Quaker Heart Healthy Challenge (if you missed that post or our 6 Minute Go To STUFT Workout video click here). Second, I said “no” to another date with My Trainer Bob this upcoming Monday because it was going to be too hard to find subs for all my classes. Can you believe it? I’m turning down a date with “my boyfriend”. I’m still in shock too. Lastly, I decided not to sign up for the Rock n Roll San Diego Marathon in June. Who am I?

Well, I’m desperately trying to get things together over here and while I love racing and training and running myself ragged, there are way too many other things I need to focus my attention on. I already have 4 races in the next three months so I think that’s enough. It’s time to take a step back.

Okay, enough rambling. Here’s a couple things we’ve been eating around here.

I found these at Costco on one of our recent trips.

They were pretty tasty and an easy thing to bake for the boys to go with their dinner. I had mine with the last green meal I had a couple of days ago.

Spinach, goat cheese, chicken breast salad with this Newman’s Own light sun dried tomato dressing.

It was a good combination, but did my stomach in. Not recommended for those having stomach issues.

The boys had those veggie patch patties today for lunch again with their Flatout Foldit quesadilla.

On a side note, I must say I freaking love divided plates. I wish they made cool ones for adults.

My lunch today was this.

Baked French Toast made with Teresa’s Blueberry Bread.

Don’t mind the date. (Yes, it’s been in the freezer for over a year.) I usually use whole grain bread, but this week I’ve had to feed my body the white stuff. It’s all I can handle. This bread is pretty darn incredible (and pricey) if you need something special.

I was craving French toast after I saw Heather write about it the other day.

I love baking French Toast because it gets crunchy on the outside and stays soft in the middle. Love it.

Basic Baked French Toast Recipe

2 slices bread, preferably whole grain (I usually use my favorite bread)

1/2 cup egg substitute

1/2 tablespoons nondairy or low fat milk

1/4 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract

cinnamon (optional)

1 packet of sweetener (I usually use Splenda)

Mix ingredients.

Dip bread slices and place in baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.

Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.

Serve with sugar free maple syrup.

I just so happen to eat the exact same thing yesterday for breakfast.

Good stuff.

My go to lunch this week (other than today of course) has been this.

lunch

Trader Joe’s Organic Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper Soup with a cheese sandwich and little garlic rolls I put together with a Flatout Foldit in the sandwich maker.

I haven’t been feeling like dessert (Andrew knows that’s when I really don’t feel well), but earlier in the week I did a little experiment.

I took my Peanut Butter Surprise Pizoatie (that post has been updated with a printable recipe)

and instead of putting peanut butter in the middle I did this.

Oh yes. That’s some three ingredient fudge in there. That darn fudge is just as delicious warm. It reminded me of a molten chocolate cake filling, only healthier.

Oh and I had a little fudge left over from the serving I made so I did this.

(I also turned off the flash on my camera which wasn’t a very good call.)

Oh well. Who cares when you’re eating something like this, right?

Okay. I’m off. I’m planning on relaxing tonight after teaching my classes and hopefully finally getting a chance to do something about my toenails and watch last week’s episode of the Bachelor.

Have a great night (or morning, depending on when you read this).

Sorry I’m bailing out on my Flat Kitty Friday post tomorrow, but he will be featured in a STUFT in the Kitchen video we shot the other day very soon.

I’ll take suggestions for what Flat Kitty theme we should do next week.

Now go make this and this so you can eat this.

See you soon!

Comments

I’d like to eat one of everything. Hoping our Costco has those veggie patch patties. Were they in the frozen section?

Hope you’re feeling like your old self again soon Kristin, and glad to hear you’re taking it easy. Hope you guys have a good weekend!

They were in the refridgerated section, by the flatbreads and hummus. :) They’re good. :) Emailing you this weekend. It might be a long one. :) Have a good weekend.

Jessica says:

I love seeing what you feed the boys (it gives me on idea’s for my little guy)! Hope you feel better soon!

I’m loving that you’re saying NO to more and more things!! Pick the best opportunities for you and your family, and let the rest pass by! that’s so hard to do sometimes, but I’m praying that you’ll find a happy balance!

Shannon says:

Hi Kristin! I hope you feel better soon. I know how frustrating it is not to be at 100% especially when you are used going nonstop. I’m thinking about you, my friend, and hoping that you find the balance you’re looking for. When you find it, let me know what the secret is! Ha!! :) xoxo

Thanks Shannon. Definitely feeling better today. I’ll be sure to let you know the secret to balance whenever the heck I find it. Don’t hold your breath though- it just might take me my whole life. Hope you’re doing well and have a great weekend!!!! :)

I’m loving that the boys are so opposite! My kids are like night and day. The fudge picture of the boys speaks volumes. I’m glad you’re taking a little break and slowing down. You knew this was coming. It stinks, but maybe it will recharge you a little bit. I am happy to sub for you with our boyfriend. See, that was easy to find a sub for!

I’m heading to TJ’s tomorrow and I’m stocking up on that soup! I need more enchiladas! I hope you are feeling better tonight and get some rest!

sheesh woman, you’re brilliant – that fudge pizoatie is making me drool… seriously, i love you and your recipes and eats in general. i wish you could make me food every day. :)

i am so sorry you haven’t been feeling well… i had the stomach flu for 24 hours a few weeks ago, and i felt like i was on my death bed. i can’t imagine feeling like that for almost a week. i hope you feel better soon!! listen to those doc’s orders! ;)

You’ve gotta try that fudge pizoatie Ashley. :) I’m not brilliant, just have major “need to experiment” issues. :) So sorry you were sick a couple of weeks ago. Yuck. Have a great weekend!

Feel better soon! Stomach troubles suck… But I am very proud of you for making decisions to say no. I need to get better about this! I also know that feeling about wanting to be back to “normal”. I’ve been suffering a back problem the last 2+ weeks and still feel super limited on what I can/cannot do. Here’s to hoping we are both back in action soon!!!

Good for you saying no! Even if it was to your boyfriend. ;)

Hope you’re back to 100% soon. That french toast bake would certainly make me feel better – yum!

Liz says:

Thanks for all the yummy food (and silly J & J) pics and recipes! I’m so sorry you are still under the weather, hope you feel better very soon! Kinda happy you said no to your “boyfriend” next Monday (even though it’s the day before Valentines day!), I’m hoping to make it to your afternoon Y classes! Miss you :)

Mama Pea says:

Oh darling. I’m all for scaling back. Are you sure you can’t scale back more? :) I hope you start to feel better soon and if there is anything I can do, let me know. Wish I could take those boys off your hands for a few hours! :)

Maybe I should scale back more and just kick back with some maple donuts. :) Oh… I would love to see the damage my boys could do at the Pea house. :) Talk about couch cushions….

katie says:

oh man, I am so praying for you!!! I know its so hard when we have to take a step back in life, but dont ever forget you are Gods child, He is doing this for your very best. one day you will look back on this season and be like “thank you SO much God – thats exactly why you did that !! ” He IS faithful and He ALWAYS follows through :) He has got you!! I wish I could come babysit your sweet boys :) :)

Thanks Katie. You always say the nicest and most inspirational things. :) I wish you could come babysit too. He he! Have a great wekeend and thanks for keeping things in perspective for me. :)

Sara says:

I love reading about your costco finds :-) I’m so sad I forgot to take photos of Flat Kitty at work. :-( And I don’t have any wonderful ideas for his next adventure. Flat Kitty at the grocery store? Flat Kitty w/ pets?

I’m so proud of you! Such good decisions! I took a rest day yesterday as well if that helps. Gosh I hate them but we need them!! Sending good thoughts to you and your beautiful family and Flat Kitty of course :D

Tiff says:

I am so glad I’m not the one cleaning up that mess! Whew! Although I must admit, I do wish that I was the one eating the baked French toast. Yum.

Brigid says:

Sometimes saying no is the smartest decision. Most of us don’t say no enough :)

I hope you are feeling better! Your eats all look tasty!

Sorry to hear you’re not feeling 100%… but good for you for listening to your body and being able to say no to a few things. I always struggle with that, and have a tendency to take on too much and regret it later. Family time and balance in life is so important, thanks for your honesty! We can’t be superwoman all the time. :) But I do hope you’re back to your greens and running soon.

Amy Zirkle says:

Oh Kristin — so sorry to hear that you are blech – you need to listen to your body and take care – heck you need to listen to the Dr. That said your post echoed a common theme for most of your “followers” I bet – we all try to do so much – and we need to give ourselves all a break – sounds like you made the right decisions and put your health first for those commitments you discuss – you go girl! Feel better – rest, and take good care of yourself!

Elle says:

Bookmarking your post for when I have more time to read EVERY word. Your boys are adorable!

I love the look of the French Toast… baking is different and nice crunch… coming back for more!

Thanks.

I kind of love the chattiness of this post :) . I hope you feel better soon! Sometimes stomach things can be the worst kind of sick. BUT, your french toast and pizoatie recipes look freaking amazing. I seriously need to make a pizoatie ASAP. That baby looks delicious!

I am hooked on your favorite bread and am now also going to Trader Joes at least once a week. Coffee, frozen shrimp (shelled and deveined) and some other cool stuff I am finding. Oh, will try the Almond Milk in my next smoothie. Thanks, Kristin!

Erin says:

I’m sorry you’ve been sick. That sucks! I hope you feel better soon!! Good for you for saying no and taking care of yourself. I’ve been loving the fudge but the fudge pizoatie sounds amazing.

Nicole says:

I hope you feel better soon. I hate stomach troubles :/ Going to check out recipe for pizoatie …looks amazing!!