Doctor Orders and the Perfect Running Shoes

Random? Yes.

Too late to come up with a different catchy title? Yes.

Sitting in bed listening to Andrew snore loudly (which actually is good since it’s muffling the sound of my typing)? Yes.

Let me give a quick update on my doctor appointment today.

image

He doesn’t know quite what’s wrong with me. he took a lot of notes and asked a lot of questions. I’m going in early tomorrow (with my double stroller of course) for some blood work and some other um, shall we say, samples.

In the mean time I’ve been instructed to not eat dairy.

I’m okay with that (I guess). I had to do it before when I was breastfeeding (Judah had some milk allergy issues).

It’s definitely not going to be fun, but right now I’ll do whatever it takes to figure out what the heck is my problem.

I said goodbye to dairy tonight with some cheese sandwiches for dinner (with roasted broccoli and marinara sauce). Lucky you, I didn’t even feel like taking a picture.

Of course the no dairy news came after I ordered all these protein bars last week.

Isn’t that just always how things work?

And I guess I won’t be stealing any more Vanilla Chocolate Chunk Chobani Champions yogurts from the boys for a bit either. They seemed pretty excited about that tonight.

photo

What?

I’ll update you more as I find things out. For now though the food might look a little different around here. I really need to get my hands on some good dairy free protein powder. Thanks Sarena and Heather for the recommendations.

I did just order $100 worth of PB2 to help me feel better. Thank goodness there isn’t any dairy in three ingredient fudge or healthy cookie dough dip. I have a feeling I’ll be hitting both of those up tomorrow. Ha.

Okay. Let’s talk running shoes really quickly.

First of all, in light of my tummy issues and being sick as of late, I haven’t been very motivated to run a lot in addition to all the classes I teach. Ever since the Carlsbad marathon it’s been difficult for me to do longer runs. I’m okay with that since I’m trying to decrease my activity level anyway, but it made me think about how sometimes it’s just hard to make yourself do it.

I have to make deals with myself sometimes (example- I can have a Golden Spoon dairy free chocolate bar if I do my run), schedule it in my day, grab a good romantic comedy to make the time go faster,

(This was my movie of choice the past two days.)

put my darn shoes on and just do it.

We have a treadmill in our house, so there are no excuses. Especially since we converted what was kind of a garage into a workout room/storage/office space.

Don’t even try to figure out the mess. It’s a good thing I don’t train my clients at my house. That ironing board has been used maybe once. Hence why it’s in that room.

I’ve said this before, but I used to be about 20 pounds heavier (that’s a lot for short person like myself) and I couldn’t run very far at all. My back hurt, my knees hurt, etc. I had a whole list of reasons why I thought running might not be my thing. I stuck to it though. Eventually I fell in love with it. You can see all the reasons I love running here.

One thing that has truly changed my running is the perfect shoes.

These are my perfect shoes. Mizuno Wave Nirvana.

It took me awhile to find my perfect shoes. Now that I have them though I won’t run in anything else.

Here’s my tips on finding the perfect shoes.

Go to a running store where the evaluate your food placement, stride, etc. (like Road Runner Sports).

Find a shoe that’s comfortable and is one that they recommend for your feet.

Save your money and don’t buy the inserts. If you’re shelling out the dough for good shoes you won’t need them. (This is just my personal opinion. I bought the inserts originally and found that I didn’t like using them.)

Also, make sure to buy at least a half size bigger than your regular shoe. I buy one full size larger than I wear in normal shoes (and I’ve still lost a few toenails).

This is the key-

Once you’ve worn out your shoes, take them with you when you go to buy new ones (or take your current shoes in when going shopping for the first time). They can check the wear on the bottom and determine if that shoe is the right stability, control, etc. for you.

I did this two separate times to get to the shoes I have now. The first pair of shoes I bought after my initial evaluation were a different model of Mizunos, but my knees still hurt quite a bit when I ran.

It takes a little time and trial and error to find the best shoe, but so worth it when you find the perfect fit.

I have VERY flat feet and over pronate. These shoes I have now have done wonders for me.

Oh, and I just happen to have a different pair of Mizuno Elixir shoes for racing and faster treadmill runs.

(These haven’t been worn yet. I’m waiting until I feel better to break them in.)

Holy purple.

Disclaimer- I have no affiliation with Mizuno although it would pretty much rock my world if I ever did someday. Also, both of these pairs of shoes are new. I had not purchases new shoes for a year. I did not pay in full with my own money. I had a gift card to Road Runner Sports from my birthday from Mom and Dad. They sure know how to give a good gift, don’t they?

Okay. Off to bed. Early morning tomorrow to start my day with some, um….. dare I say “samples” again?

Sorry.

Email me some fun Flat Kitty pictures for tomorrow’s post. They can be whatever you want. I could just use a good laugh. Couldn’t you?

Comments

Robin Baker says:

no dairy?! I don’t even know what to say. Speechless really. It was enough for me to give up cheese. Kind of. But NO DAIRY?! I might die. I’m so sorry!

Oh Robin- It’s not going to be fun, but at this point I’m going to do whatever. Maybe it has nothing to do with it and I can have dairy as soon as we figure it out. :)

Haha, too funny! I JUST published my post about my new running shoes and included a snarky disclaimer! Great minds think alike?! bahaha!!

Kierston says:

No dairy…Boo!!! Hopefully things regulate themselves soon :) I love my Mizuno Wave Inspire 7′s! The disclaimer was gold.

Tara Burner says:

love the look of those shoes…i’ve never tried Mizuno but may have to check into them

You can do this no problem. I am with you on the peanut flour replacement issues. I swear if I end up with peanut issues, I am in big trouble! I’m glad you’re getting things looked at though. I’m worried since I know you are frustrated and suffering. Please keep me up to date on how you are!

I was just told about these shoes yesterday! I need to look into them. I still feel heavy when I run and I don’t like it. I did run a mile today and didn’t hate it, but I want to like it. I want that feeling of wanting to go for a run! I hope you have a great day (even with all the blood work and poo samples – yeah, I know what you’re up to).

Sarena- Oh I would definitely suggest Mizunos. They are the lightest, yet supportive shoes I’ve found. :) You will totally get there with wanting to go for a run. They “heavy” feeling will go away too. I know that feeling all too well.
      Thank goodness for peanut flour!!!!!! (Not the price though.) :)

Love PB2 and just used the rest of my jar last night so it’s time to re-stock up. I’ve yet to try Mizuno but have heard fantastic things about them. Right now I’m wearing Brooks Ghost 4′s. And I always tell anyone and everyone who will listen to go to a real running store (not Foot Locker) and get their gait checked.

I haven’t tried any Brooks shoes. I’ve heard a lot of good things about them though. YOu better stock up lady on PB2. I don’t know about you, but when we’re out of it over here it’s NOT a good thing. ha ha!

Tiff says:

Oh no, sorry about the dairy. Thank goodness there are a lot of decent substitutes out there. I hope it makes you feel better!

No dairy isn’t soooo bad… I hope it helps you!!! I’ve been using the Sun Warrior vanilla protein powder and I like it. It’s vegan! Check out the Vegan Goat Cheese Stuffed Oven-Roasted Tomatoes I posted today. I swear you won’t miss the cheese!

Funny you mention you’re on the short side… I always pictured you being tall!

Love those purple shoes!

Okay, too funny that you pictured me being tall. I need to try that SunWarrior protein everyone is talking about. If only it was half the price. :) Off to check out your recipe. The title is already making me drool.

jennifer says:

So sorry about your tummy problems! I had to dairy free with Madeline and since still don’t consume much. If I eat ice cream I get so sick! I am glad because this means more dairy free recipes! I had my feet analyzed at Fleet Feet in San Fransisco years ago. I bought my first part of Brooks and have worn them since. I am looking to switch to Asics though only because Brooks don’t have much cushion. Thanks for the tip on bringing your shoes back in! I never would have thought to do that! I will have to find a running store in LA to go to next month! Do you wear the fast racing shoes for marathons too? Or just shorter races? I’ve debating buying a pair.

I wear the racing shoes for quick treadmill runs and yes, for all of my races. :) They totally make a difference. Make sure to look for a “performance” shoe- they’re lighter. How many more weeks until your big race? :)

good luck going dairy free! hopefully it will help you feel better. :)

i just got my gait analyzed at a running store last night & got my first pair of “real” running shoes. i’m excited to (hopefully) notice a difference in how my feet/ankles/knees feel after running in them after i’ve been using the same cross-training shoes for everything for almost 2 years (yeah…i needed new shoes!).

I actually use arch support inserts in my running shoes, because I have really high arches. Finding a shoe that fits all my other desires + high arches is difficult, so inserts it is. But, they cost lest than $20 and last for over a year, so it’s not an expensive investment. :)

And if shoe companies would STOP changing their shoes on me, I could stick with one kind. I resorted to finding the older model of my Asics this week after they changed my favorite pair and I didn’t like them one bit. Serves me right for waiting until 2 weeks before a marathon to decide I need a new pair for the race. :)

I didn’t think about high arches needing inserts. I guess it depends on your feet and preference. Oh yes, why do they have to change them a little with every new model? Silliness. Waiting until 2 weeks before the marathon to get new shoes. You’re funny. :)

Hope the tummy feels better soon!

And I just received some new Mizuno Wave Riders yesterday. Can’t wait to try them out on my run this afternoon!

I wouldn’t get too worried or carried away with finding dairy free alternatives on a permanent basis yet. I’ve been through all these tests (including those samples you mentioned) and it’s basically never what you think it is. Are you seeing your regular GP? I’m super impressed they ordered a food allergy panel and the “samples” because I went to my GP for months and then saw a GI specialist who just told me I’ll have to live with my symptoms (which forced me to quit my job) and now I’m seeing a Naturopathic doctor who did those tests. I still don’t have any significant improvement but I trust my doctor and it’s going to be a long process to treat the CAUSE not the symptoms which is what NDs focus on. Anyhow, I’m hopeful for you and if want any random advice in this area feel free to ask because I have been doing this treatment dance for over a year now.
    Those shoes are gorgeous. Even if they weren’t so great for running I’d probably still wear them. :)

I may be emailing you shortly (and frequently). :) I had the same thought about the dairy. I don’t eat that much and I just don’t feel like that’s the issue anyway.
      Oh my Dr. He was very thorough. First time seeing him, but I’m in love (well, you know, not love, love). I’m anxious to get results.

Nadine says:

First, those guys are so cute! I love seeing other twins.
    Second, good luck with the whole twin stroller small hospital corridor thing, I have gotten stuck in the hallways a few times,it’s a good thing they were cute and people wanted to help me!
    Third. Hmm. Well, last year, a year agoi kept getting sick and getting better, over and over again. I did elimination diets,dairy, wheat, the big ones. It was my appendix(and no, it didn’t hurt the way it was suppose to), but it was against balloon, they removed it and I felt great immidetatly(not infected, it had endometriosis in it, gross eh?). Anyhow,hope that isn’t the case for you.

And if your still eating chia, stop! Google it a little, and you will disocver that unless it’s fully soaked in water it can expand and cause all kinds of stomach issues(I think that was the beginning of the end for me, even soaked I can’t eat the stuff),

How did they figure out it was your appendix? Blood tests?
      Oh man, and I just happen to read this after I ate a large amount of chia cookie dough dip. Lovely. Will Google now. Maybe that’s part of the problem, huh? Ahhh!!! Thanks for telling me. So sorry you had to deal with all those appendix issues. Not fun Nadine.

• Nadine says:

They did an ultra sound, I’m stubborn when it comes do doctors/hopsitals. One night after eating gluten free (I thought I may have been a celiac) pizza made with CHIA I could no longer drink water without puking (gross I know), I ended up at the hospital. AFter a brief 16 hour wait i got an ultra sound and the tech told me that my appendix was massive, 4 hours later appendix came out, 6 hours after that I was home and feeling a WORLD of better. Best surgery/recovery ever.
        Actually everyone I know who has had appendix issues have long standing stomach stuff that comes (and goes) for several months.
        I googled, but, can’t find the chia info (I loved chia and ate it for months and months, then it started to turn on me, could be coincidence, who knows?).

Amy Zirkle says:

Ugh so sorry to hear about the no dairy – but that is manageable – right :) – (taking a positive view) – there are so many other options out there – and I don’t doubt you will find some inventive and creative ways to get around it – thanks for the shoe info too!! — take care and be well – amy

Yes, very manageable Amy. Not sure if that’s even the problem so I’m not too stressed about it yet. You better believe I’m going to be creative though. A mana needs her sweet fixes and chocolate. Ha! Hope you are well too!

I can so relate to your health issues. I have been going through the same thing for the past two years! My doctor told me dairy was the problem right off the bat too. After 9 months of being dairy free I figured out it wasn’t dairy but wheat that was causing most of the problems. I am much better now but not totally. I hope you get some definitive answers!
    Love the shoes! (But then, I have a thing for crazy colored running shoes anyway.)

Oh no… You’ve been dealing with it for 9 months? In so sorry. I hope everything gets figured out soon for you. I have a hunch dairy isn’t my issue either, but I’ll do what he says until I get some more information. So are you back on dairy, but totally off wheat right now?

• Candy says:

No, I’ve been dealing with it for over two years! I am totally off wheat now, and have been for about a year. I do eat some dairy but usually just Greek yogurt and a little cheese here and there. It was a tough transition at first but I’m okay with it now. I hope you have a much more simple fix.

Liz says:

Hope everything went well at the doc! Bella was climbing on me while I read this and got way excited when she saw the boys picture and proceeded to run through the house yelling their names! Anyway, thanks for the running shoe info and hope you find some delicious non-dairy treats soon! :)

I love dairy…I think I would have a hard time with that haha. Hopefully everything is able to get regulated quickly! Your mizunos are so cute! I’m in need of a new pair of running shoes but I just need to find the time to go to a store and try them on!

I got lucky and ordered them online since I know exactly what I needed. Going to stores us such a hassle. He he. I love cheese and chocolate. Those are going to be the hardest if I really have to do this for awhile.

1. [...] I was sporting my new STUFT mama shirt, my new hat and my new Mizuno Elixir shoes. [...]

2. [...] And since we’re talking favorites, have I mentioned how much I love my Mizuno shoes? [...]

3. Office Hours says:

[...] Oh man, I’m working on a big post friends. I’m talking HUGE. It has something to do with my favorite running shoes. [...]

4. [...] talked about my Mizuno love a lot, but I talked about finding the perfect pair here. Speaking of finding the perfect pair, Mizuno has this awesome precision fit analysis online to [...]

5. [...] have my Handful, my $30 miracle, my Mizuno racing shoes, and a couple of outfits.  I also have a brand new Halo racing hat from the wonderful people [...]