How the Heck

Good morning!

I get asked a lot how the heck I do everything I do- running and training for races, owning a business, teaching a billion fitness classes, writing on the blog, being a mom of twins, etc.

Most of the days I don’t know how I do either. If I’m being totally honest, I don’t exactly do it well (just ask STUFT Daddy). My family keeps me afloat. If I didn’t have the amazing family that I do (my immediate family and all of my in-laws), there’s no way I would be able to do everything. I am a very lucky mama.

I feel like I should really come clean on a few things.

I’m never on time and I’m generally rushing out the door in a frantic state.

Our house is usually messy and I never devote the time to cleaning that I should.

I always have piles of laundry in the laundry room that need to be done.

I forget to scoop the cat box a lot.

I used to plan our meals weekly. Every dinner was written out and posted on the fridge. I haven’t done that since the boys were born (even though I tell myself I will start doing it again every week).

I cut out coupons, but always forget to use them.

I burn things.

I spend way too much time experimenting in the kitchen when I should be doing other things.

I don’t sleep enough or take the time that I should to look halfway decent for the day. I use the excuse that working out is my job.

I owe a lot of dear friends phone calls and/or emails.

I rarely remember birthdays.

It’s a daily struggle to balance everything out. More often than not, I go to bed wishing I’d devoted a little more time to something I’ve put on the back burner.

Lovely.

With all that said, I want to sincerely thank you for taking this roller coaster of a ride with the STUFT family. This little blog turned a year old the other day.

One year ago I had the crazy idea that I wanted to start a healthy living blog. I thought the idea was original, that no one else was doing it. Ha. Little did I know there was an amazing healthy living blog community and that it would turn into something I love so much.

I had planned on doing a little giveaway for you today, but since I’ve babbled enough already and these guys just woke up an hour early

IMG_1149_thumb[1]

let’s just talk a little What I Ate Wednesday, shall we?

Yesterday started off (after my strong morning mocha of course) with the exact same breakfast sandwich I’ve been eating everyday for the past two weeks- egg substitute and sugar free jam on my favorite bread toasted in my sandwich maker.

IMG_9887_thumb

I ate one of these Chocolate Almond Coconut Clif Mojo bars in the car in between Strollerwise and my BOSU class.

If you haven’t tried these yet, you need to. Oh my goodness, so good. The best price is at Trader Joe’s. They go for $.99 each. I bought a whole box.

I also recently discovered this Texas Caviar at Costco (I know I’ve already talked about it here), but after STUFT Daddy got his hands on it and approved, I thought it deserved another mention.

IMG_1147_thumb[1]

I’ve seen it at Costco many times before, but I always stayed away because I saw “caviar”. I thought caviar was a fish thing. I never knew that a “caviar” didn’t have to have fish? I’m sure I’m missing something, but oh well. I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed sometimes and that all doesn’t really matter because this stuff is good. Check out the nutritional stats and all the veggies in this mix.

IMG_1148_thumb[1]

I’ve been putting it in wraps and topping salads with it.

In fact, lunch yesterday with this stuff was so good that I was already halfway through it when I decided I needed to take a picture and show you.

IMG_1142_thumb[1]

In the salad- romaine, Costco rotisserie chicken, this Texas Caviar, TATS BBQ sauce, low fat ranch dressing, a Serrano chili and kale chips.

Snack yesterday was an STUFT salted caramel mocha (iced) and some pumpkin protein cookie dough topped with a little NuttZo.

Dinner was roasted broccoli slaw with marinara and some cheese less sandwiches and friends, I didn’t even take a picture. You’ve seen enough of those I’m sure. I should’ve though as for once I didn’t burn it. Ha.

Dessert was a couple whole grain waffles. One topped with my chia berry jam and the other with some White Chocolate Wonderful Peanut Butter and a couple of these Trader Joe’s unsweetened baking chocolate discs.

These two things might just be the perfect combination.

A couple things before I go.

Here’s a good article I saw the other day-

The 15 Best Fat-Burning Foods on Muscle and Fitness Hers

I also just got an email today about this special on Vitatops.

image

I’m about to place an order since my freezer needs a little restocking. I also need to get some more Flatouts. Oh man, things would not be good if we ever ran out of those around here.

decapitated with chainsaw Send me your where to buy chainsaws Flat Kitty lollipop chainsaw game over breakfast pictures. I’ll put them together and link you up for a chainsaw massacre house address Flat Kitty Friday push start chainsaw post this week. Yippee! Let me know if you need a cool flat friend sent to you.

Have a good one.

Question- Do you like seeing what I eat all day? Sometimes I feel weird posting it and I’m not sure if it even interests you. And yes, I know I eat a lot.

Comments

I always like seeing you eats! Oh, were you describing my life or yours? I got confused since I swear I live that way too…cat poop and all!

I hope you’re having a good morning! Oh and now I want some protein cookie dough! YUM!

So you are human! ;-) Kidding – I love that you admit that it’s not perfect, it is often frazzled, but you are doing what you love and you are taking care of a fantastic family as well. Who cares if the house is messy – real friends shouldn’t care (that’s my philosophy anyway).

My real friedns know to stay far away. LOL. Just kidding! Thanks Heather!!!! It’s just going to get worse with all the future athletic gear, right? :)

Your life sounds like mine, but i need to do more blogging. If I could find the time….

I am so glad I found your blog! It is fun to read!

Bonnie says:

Great post – real, honest, and here’s to people living life and allowing their houses to get dirty and meals to be unplanned once and a while! ;) Thanks for sharing your life with us – we love following along. Gotta remember my Flat Kitty pic this week – Wednesday already! Ahh! :D May you allow God to infuse some rest in your day amidst the busyness! Love you friend.

Oh yes, my Bonnie- my voice of wisdom and faith. I NEED to spend more time just listening to GOD!!! :) Will be adding that in today for sure. :) Thanks for inspiring me ALL the time!

i love seeing what you eat! it gives me more healthy and delicious ideas. :) i think it’s good that you eat a good amount… you’re incredibly active AND it’s healthy, so it’s just what your body needs! i think you’re an excellent example of that. :) thanks for being so honest in this post too! and that white chocolate wonderful is so dangerous in my house. love that stuff.

Oh Ashley- that White Chocolate is VERY dangerous. I never know if I sohuld buy it or not because I don’t always have the easiest time eating it in moderation if you know what I mean. How are you lady? Are you resting?

• i’m pretty good. just walking and doing some pilates & yoga, so yep, resting a lot more than i’m used to! i’m on week 4 of this new “lifestyle change”, and it’s been hard, but i can already feel my body appreciating it. thank you for asking! :)

Hey if you were able to do everything you do and still be on time with a super clean house then you might be an alien… But you’re human!

I love you food. I really want to follow you around and eat all day.

Also, you amaze me. My place isn’t clean and I’m always late, but I don’t even have twins to uses as an excuse! You are my hero. :)

I like seeing what others eat. It gives me ideas especially when I am stick in a rut, eating the same things. I feel the same way about going to bed wishing I had devoted more time to something. And don’t get me started on the laundry. We are a household of 5, and we are all athletes. I can’t let laundry go, or else my laundry room would grow some weird stinky bacteria.

Ashley Smith says:

Hey Kristin-
    I love reading your blog everyday. in fact i look forward to it poping up on my e-mail at work and hwne i dont have at by mid morning normally i check your site (oops! i shouldnt admit that!) But i have that same contant rushing behind feeling…and then when i’m NOT rushing and running behind I feel like somethings wrong! LOL oh well…
    i saw that VitaTops offer and just placed it…that along with my GIANT PB2 order (and the sf choc chip cookie dough syrup) arriving today will be a great start to the weekend!

Ok i saw Speculos cookie butter at TJ’s (right next to the white choc) — looked HORRIBLY wonderful. i resisted buying it…. but have you tried it?? could be dangerous.

Hope you have an AWESOME WEDNESDAY! your posts always make my day a little brighter :)

Oh, I tried the Trader Joe’s cookie butter. It is DANGEROUS!!!! :) (BTW- I’m drinking a mocha with that sf cookie dough syrup right now.) Sounds like all your orders are going to make your weekend wonderful! He he! I just orderd my Vitatops this morning too! Yay! Thanks for your nice nice comment Ashley! :) It made my day!

Waffles please! Holy yum. My almond butter is almost gone and I might shell out a thousand dollars (ish) ;) to buy some NuttZo. Artisana sent me some walnut butter. Have you had that? It’s heaven.
    When the boys get a little older you can assign them a bunch of chores and that way you won’t have to worry about the house ;)
    Well you know I love to see your WIAWs because our food is so similar but lately we’ve been getting some opposite food allergies. I’ve been laying off the wheat now too.
    Oh I took some flat kitty pics this AM, I shall email you!

Wait, wait- they sent it to you? :) I’m jealous! I have a jar of Artisana walnut butter sitting in my pantry. I can open it when I’m done with the NuttZo. :) How’s the now wheat going? That would be so hard for me.

• Yes they sent it to me! That company loves to send samples if you email them. It’s not hard for me without wheat. I never really ate much anyway. It’s harder to avoid oats which I’m highly allergic too, I just feel a little intolerant of wheat.

You and I are so similar! Running around like chickens with our heads cut off! How DO we get by?!?!
    GOD!

And I need a new Flat Kitty! Can you send one to Boulder?

Yes, how do we get by?????? Holy cow. I can totally send you a Flat Kitty to Boulder or I can email you one if you feel like cutting it out yourself. Either way. Let me know friend!!!!! :)

I’ve been reading your blog for a bit now, and really enjoy it! I don’t think I’ve ever commented – but I really liked this post. I’m a mom of 3, ages 2-5 and I don’t work and it’s hard to find the time for everything! Your kids are so little, you have to let certain things go for now that just don’t matter in the grand scheme of things. Good for you for keeping it all together! I also had to comment because I LOVE the flatout bread too, and broccoli slaw. I couldn’t believe I was missing out on them for so long! I have a wrap for lunch everyday with the flatouts. And I think I’m going to grab some of those vitatops too! Great post:)

Oh Katie- don’t be fooled, I do not keep it all together. Ha! You have 3 kids ages 2-5? How is that??????? Oh, I have a Flatout wrap pretty much everyday for lunch too. It’s fun to wrap different things isn’t it? :) Oh… and broccoli slaw. What did we do without that stuff? :) Hope you’re having a good day!

Happy one year of blogging! I always enjoy wiaw posts, but I know what you mean- I often feel kind of silly posting them, too. Could I have a new flat kitty, please?

Jessica says:

Yes, I love seeing what you eat, it gives me healthy-eating ideas.
    That caviar looks divine! I make something similar from scratch. I wish I had a costco near me!
    Cutest.little.boys.ever.

I love your blog…your boys are adorable…your kitty …well, um…HA!HA!

I enjoy seeing what healthy concoctions you come up with so please keep them coming. I clicked on the link to see what your favorite bread would be and I couldn’t get past the picture of your vehicle so loaded down with food from Costco. That was a crazy pic girl! ha!

You are one STUFT mama!

What? You don’t love Kitty’s man boobs?????? Ha ha. :) Glad you don’t mind seeing my crazy concoctions. Oh man, do I have some weird looking stuff. Oh my car at Costco- it’s always a scary sight, but I have learned to pack it in like no other. Ha! Thanks for reading Kathy. Do you need me to email you a Flat Kitty?????? He he!

RunEatRepeat says:

I like seeing a whole “day in the life” posts!

I literally just bought that Mojo bar yesterday! I haven’t tried it yet. I think it may be a late night studying snack for me tonight :)

You may be busy, and things may fall to the wayside (heck, I mopped my floors for the first time in a long time yesterday so don’t feel bad) but your energy is spent doing the things you love which is awesome! As long as you are happy that’s what matters most :)

Please don’t stop posting your daily eats, it’s my favorite part of blog reading :) Yep, I’m a freak and nosy!

Meg says:

The cinnamon raisin PB&CO is freaking divine! I could eat the jar in one sitting!
    Also that sandy looks yummy! PB&J on a sandy in the press is aweosme. or peanut butter, honey and banana, all pressed between to slices of bread and into a sandwich press.

Becky Przy says:

Love the post, so honest! I was just thinking yesterday (before you posted this) how in the heck does Kristen do it all–I have only one toddler and my house is a mess, I am behind in catching up w/family etc. I was hoping you would give a ‘how-to’ on ‘doing it all’ ;-) (

I love seeing what you eat–it gives me ideas. And I don’t think you eat a lot–especially with how much you work out!

I’m just going to send you a big virtual hug!

Coco says:

I’m tired just reading this, your amazing! It’s so great that you have such supportive people around you to assist! :)

Coco- I am sooo lucky. If I didn’t have family close by I wouldn’t be able to do half the stuff I do. I’m stinking selfish and they support me. Ha! :) Have a great day!

Brandi says:

You are just amazing!! On a few of the items on your list, I actually laughed out loud! I am SO weird about being on time somewhere. My best friend?? Complete opposite, but our friendship works! I think it’s really great that you have your family there to help you. I have had this conversation with my SNL many times…. She said her priorities changed after she had children. She just didn’t care if the there was laundry (cause it will always be there), she didn’t care if her house was messy, she didn’t care if this and that was done. As long as the kiddos were happy and she was able to spend time with them and of course my brother ;) she was all good!
    Have a great day!!

Joy says:

Happy anniversary on the blog! I love seeing what you’re eating because it gives me good and healthy ideas of what to have. And thank you for the Mojo bar recommendation. I’m going to Trader Joe’s tomorrow and have just added it to my shopping list. Can’t wait to try it.

Keep up the great work! Life is busy – especially with all that you do. A clean house is overrated. :)

Jessica says:

The cookie dough looks awesome! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I can’t wait to try it at home!

Love this post. And I can completely relate!! Sometimes it seems like we can do it all – and sometimes we can – but very, very, very frantically ;)

Allie says:

half marathon training!

Lisa says:

Great post! Sometime I think I can handle everything, until I can’t ;) And I love reading about your daily eats and life in general, because I loooove everything you eat and your boys are the cutest. We for sure have the same taste buds, I get meal ideas from you :) Hope your weekend is more relaxing, have a good one!xo

Lisa- I’m glad we have the same taste buds. I get meal ideas from everyone else. I swear I started eating more once I started reading other blogs all the time. LOL. Hope you had a great weekend!

1. [...] just keeping it real here, but I sure lived up to the post I wrote yesterday. I was a grumpy-grump all day and still didn’t manage to get halfway through my to do list. You [...]