The Great Escape

Well, the big post I’ve been planning is set back yet another day. The good thing is that I created one more recipe to add to the post. One post with five recipes? Yeah, I’m doing it, just not today.

To say that I’m exhausted is a bit of an understatement. I’m not complaining, but adding extra marathon training miles to my routine and having these guys really enter their terrible twos at the same time has really done a number on me. The good thing is you don’t have to see any pictures of me in this post. Your welcome.

Here’s a little peak at yesterday.

It started a little something like this.

Then I created that extra recipe for my little project. Check it out.

Oh yeah. It was good. So good that I may just have to repeat it this morning instead of my usual breakfast.

After breakfast it was time for a little prepping in the kitchen.

Cutting and spinning lettuce is a family affair over here (and takes about 3 times longer than it should). It did remind me though about this post I wrote a LONG time ago about how we prep and store our lettuce.

Mid morning we were off to the gym. The boys hung out with their “girlfriend” in play care while I sweated out 10 miles on the treadmill. Not sure how long exactly it took me and I almost ate it when the treadmill stopped automatically at an hour. What the? I had to restart it to finish my run and it erased my miles I had already ran. Bleh.

I thought we’d enjoy a nice little lunch outside when we got home. (“Thought” is the key word.)

While I made the boys some toddler friendly, gluten free grilled cheese sandwiches, they discovered how to turn on the hose and spray each other.

Then when I tried  to put my salad together this happened.

Yep. That’s Joaquin’s sandwich in Turk’s water.

Yep. That’s him stepping and splashing in the gross sandwich water.

Yep. That’s the gross dirty sandwich water all over his head.

Oh and yep, while all of this was going on outside Kitty made himself comfortable on the high chair tray(and with a cheese grater). I’m sure that’s sanitary.

Want to come over?

I’ll share my salad with you.

(In the bowl- romaine and Costco rotisserie chicken topped with TATS BBQ sauce, Marie Sharps hot sauce and Mustard Girl mustard.)

I was looking forward to naptime. Not sure why since it looked a little like this.

Not good.

This happened about 7 times in a matter of 10 minutes or so. So much for getting work done while trying to watch The Ellen Show. I better kiss those days goodbye.

I also really need to get my hands on some good toddler discipline books. I’ll take any suggestions.

I got desperate late afternoon and went for a Coke Zero

and a huge bowl of protein fudgy STUFT protein cookie dough.

I was desperate friends. I had to top it with some NuttZo and a few of these Peanut Butter Panda Puffs.

I won’t show you my dinner (which was roasted broccoli slaw and cheese less sandwiches), but I did make some gluten free pizzas for Judah with this overpriced crust.

Joaquin got this one from Trader Joe’s.

I have yet to try it (with my not having dairy and all), but it looks delicious.

The night ended with a huge bowl of this ice cream that I’ve been dying to try by Chocolate Covered Katie.

It was a little icy, but I love the fact that the serving size was huge and the calories were low. There’s a banana chocolate chip vitatop hiding somewhere under there.

I’m inspired to create a STUFT version now.

Okay, that’s all.

Recipes coming soon! Happy Thursday!

It’s raining over here and I’m loving it. How’s the weather where you are?

Comments

LOL – too funny (Maybe not at the time of course). Thank goodness their cute huh ;-) There were some treadmills at the gym at one point that would stop at a certain time – I think it was programmed for 45 mins. Talk about dangerous. And before they replace old ones, there were 2 that were basically for walking or slower running so if you got over 6.5 they’d stop. Not cool.

jennifer says:

Oh my! Talk about double trouble! The scene with the water bowl- yep been there! Madeline would prefers to put things in my water cup- like rocks, flowers, grass. It is gross. I am so glad she doesn’t know how to turn tye hose on yet. We would be in trouble! Do they even make a toddler lock for that?? I am hoping we never get to this stage in our napping! Thinking of you! Hope it gets better! They have GOT to be exhauated!

OMG that’s hilarious. I’m so sorry. The fun begins now. We were super lucky in that our boys never climbed out. Then again, we kept them in sleep sacks FOREVER so they actually couldn’t get their feet up over the rails if they tried. hee hee. Good luck!

Ashley Smith says:

I make that same ice cream from CCK on an almost nightly basis, I put it on top of your pizOATkie…but I add 1/2 a frozen banana and sometimes some SF pudding mix or PB2. The banana really helps with icy-ness and makes it more ice creamy in texture! :) I look forward to it every single night!!

Amanda says:

That’s exactly the scene at my house (only with 1 toddler) when my now 9 year old learned to climb out of his crib. My husband was trying to work from home one day, we still thought crib tents were mean, being our first kid and all…my son got out of his crib and came out of his room what seemed like 100 times during that “nap” and my husband said ENOUGH! I can’t get anything done, go get the tent! So I ran to Babies R Us that same afternoon, problem solved. We didn’t even wait for the next two to start climbing, just used the tent from the beginning. :) You’ve got your hands full, for sure! They are adorable!

Melissa says:

You know what? I DO want to come over. :) I have a feeling you have wine . . .

meggan says:

Love & Logic for Toddlers. It is a great resource! Make sure you get the one that is specifcially for toddlers.

That breakfast looks soooo good! But why isn’t it green?! ;)

The boys are so funny. They are going to be an awesome handful in their teens. I think the whole world should have a mandatory siesta when Ellen is on. I hope you can catch it today, Sophia Grace and Rosie are on! :)

Love the food pics but, today the commentary about the boys, playing in the water, all over their hair, and then kitty on the high chair…man, I really was laughing out loud! Thanks!

;-)

All your eats look great! Can’t wait for the recipes. Those gluten free panda puffs are delicious! Just discovered them this year.

Phew! I’m exhausted reading about your day. Please tell me you forgot to post about the extra large glass of wine that was consumed with desert.

Please tell me if you find any good toddler discipline books. I’ll be impatiently waiting to place my order on Amazon!

Hahahaha I think the problem with having 2 is that they help each other out and egg each other on!!! At least you know they’ll always have a best friend and someone to look out for them as they get older.

Katie- I know. Poor Judah was telling Joaquin to stop because he wanted to sleep. It was so sad. :( But…. I’m sure there will be lots of good moments to come. :)

oh boy, i’m sorry it was such a rough day kristin!! i hope today is much better! hugs to you!

Lisa says:

Phew, goodness you are a busy gal! Oh man, I can’t believe all the trouble they caused in a matter of 10 minutes haha. I know how easy that can happen. When I was a nanny I always had to keep my eye on the kiddos or trouble would unleash! They should have signs on the treadmill saying they stop after 60 minutes, no one wants to go breaking their face in the gym ;)

As a fellow mother, I know I shouldn’t be laughing at that video but I can’t help myself. That is freaking hilarious. They are t-r-o-u-b-l-e together, huh?

That is serious trouble my friend! I can’t help but laugh though. They are just too darn cute! Alone time for you is about over. Trouble trouble trouble! I hope you’re having a good day!

Aw your kitty makes me smile every time I see him.
    And the boys are so cute!!

LOL!!! i’m sorry, i know you must be exhausted but this is too funny!!! have you heard of the book Love & Logic? honestly, i don’t have kids, however i am an elementary school teacher and i know our district has recommended it and i know a lot of my teacher-friends who are moms use it and LOVE it. definitely worth checking out!!

Someone else suggested that book also. I need to check it out like NOW!! :) Thanks! Actually, I just bought it right now before I finished writing this comment. Ha ha. :)

christine says:

where can i buy that exact salad spinner? i’ve been looking for one and yours looks awesome!!!

Jessica says:

Can they get out of the crib without using the changing table? If you moved the table would they still be able to get out? William used to grab the bars and flip himself out of the crib (that’s when we moved to the big boy bed, but he doesn’t have a partner in crime to get in quite as much trouble with).
    Good Luck with it- the newness of being able to get out will hopefully wear off soon.

Yes they can!!!! :) Eeeekkk… hoping the newness wears off. how was the performance???? I’ve been thinking about you! Text me and let me know!!!

Denise says:

I need to get the whole series of the Love and Logic books! Great suggestion Megan! But seriously Kristin….Olivia is right behind these two and it scares me to watch and see this!@ You are my hero! Thanks for the laughs!

Oh man- you are super woman for being able to do all you do! Reading your blog makes me excited to (one day far far in the future) be a mom!

christine says:

where did you buy the salad spinner? been looking to buy one!

Miz says:

I wanna come over today and play.
    Ill bring my own child and hose!

Joy says:

You made me laugh so hard! Kitty sitting on the high chair tray and the boys playing in sandwich water…so funny! I’m sure it’s more than frustrating to you, but if you can write about it with humor, then you’ve got a great attitude about it. Good thing they’re all so cute, right?

Becky Przy says:

I am not looking forward to the day my daughter can get out of her crib–she hasn’t napped since she was 16 months, but i do love my quiet time in the morning. I can’t imagine having (2) 2 year olds–you are rocking in though! I love how you don’t stress the small stuff–but I do wish they would nap for you.

I hate when the treadmill stops at an hour–at one gym they stop at an hour, at another they stop at 10 miles (well they don’t stop, but it stops calculating your distance–that sucks when you figure it out about 15 minutes after you finished 10 miles).

Sara says:

Your boys are hysterical. Gotta laugh to keep from crying, right? I was wondering, do you aim for x-number of calories per day? Just curious :-) Ever since I read your lettuce post, I have been so mad at myself for selling our salad spinner. It was such a pain to clean and I hated digging it out, so I sold it. But now I found some that work so much better than our old one and if I could make big batches and store it, instead of making some every time I need lettuce–how easy! I never thought of that before your post. Ugh. And now my husband says “too bad you sold yours.” and I don’t think he has any plans to buy me another one. But hey, he wants an espresso machine … so maybe we can compromise?

Sara says:

Oh and he didn’t like broccoli slaw w/ marinara but I did find crinkle cut carrots at our local grocery store and they look like little chip and are so fun! I just wanted to share. I may have to buy a bag of broccoli slaw and do something else with it. maybe he’ll dig it that way!

Leslie says:

You have the BEST recipes in town!! I love reading your blog and remember all so well the constant demands of little boys (one never forgets)! Thank you for posting pics, recipes and product suggestions!
    I just discovered you site and now read it daily! Thanks!

Nadine says:

I have often thought that if we had 2 twin boys instead of boy/girl twins then life would be 3 times as hectic (the little guy just gets into/climbs over/takes apart everything). He started the great crib escape just a few days before your guys so we took off the front of their cribs (they convert into toddler beds) and haven’t looked back. It’s not so bad, really. I mean it. We had to remove a lot of stuff from their room, and the first few days were hard getting them to go to sleep (we are mean, we lock them in there). But it’s amazing, they actually sleep better in the night time now (no more constant night time wakings).
    But naps are not happening.

Anywho, good luck figuring out the escape artists.

Nadine- We just switched the knob so we can lock them in there too. Ha ha. Our cribs don’t convert, but hopefully we’ll get toddler beds this weekend. We’ll see. Glad your two are sleeping better at night. The whole no nap things is a little tough though, huh? :)

1. [...] promise not to bother you with our craziness that has been happening over here as of late. (For the blog only though- Facebook and twitter is a whole different story. And I’m [...]

2. [...] will definitely be repeating them, especially if this (the Great Escape) keeps [...]

3. [...] jeans by the way. Actually, the skinny jeans were all me and part of my plot to slow down the whole crib escaping thing we’ve got going on over here. Surprisingly the plan didn’t work. Lucky [...]

4. He’s Back says:

[...] going to say that it was a little rough all on my own for five days. Especially with the whole new crib escape thing and [...]

5. At a Glance says:

[...] of Katie’s ice cream to accompany the deliciousness- [...]

6. [...] schedules have changed a bit over here lately with the whole “escaping” thing, my extra miles I’m trying to log for the Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego marathon coming up [...]

7. [...] cut it up and mixed it with Katie’s ice cream so I had some healthy chocolate chunk ice [...]