The Reveal Part Two- Advice and a Cupcake

A wise woman recently told me I need to just concentrate on being a mom.

She’s right.

As much as I aspire to be this great prize winning runner, fitness video pro, crazy twin mama with a kitchen show, best friend and sidekick to a certain cooler than cool celebrity trainer named Bob, frequent Ellen guest, etc.

what really matters first is these guys.

They love getting mail and wearing skinny jeans by the way. Actually, the skinny jeans were all me and part of my plot to slow down the whole crib escaping thing we’ve got going on over here. Surprisingly the plan didn’t work. Lucky me.

Anyway, I have so many things I want to say to so many of you from the comments on my race post Sunday. I haven’t gotten around to it (or returning emails) and I’m sorry. I can’t thank you enough for commenting and making me feel like it was way a much bigger deal than it really was.

I also didn’t mean for the recap post to be all about me. Running and racing is selfish. Then to not only subject my family to all my craziness, but to make all of you read about it all the time, well, that’s selfish too. Obviously my family has learned over time to either go look at the seals or claim that they can’t miss “work” to avoid the actual race. Ha.

Race schmace.

I’ll let you in on a little secret though. My boys, my family and you are my motivation a lot of the time when I’m training or racing. Hoping that I can somehow inspire a few people drives me to keep going. Knowing I get to write about it and share it with you (whether you want to read it or not) makes me want to keep doing better each and every time.

But…

I realize that I do need to make a better effort to just be a mom.

The same wise woman who reminded me to make that my first priority also gave me this cartoon.

I better buckle up. Ha ha.

While behind the scenes I struggle big time to balance everything out, these cupcakes sure do fool people into thinking I have it all together.

We took some of these babies over to our neighbors the other day. I was flagged down a couple hours afterwards because they had to know what was in these cupcakes.

I’d like to take full credit of course (because I’m selfish like that), but I can’t. I’ve got to give some credit to my experiments with Coach.

Coach’s Fan-freaking-tastic STUFT Cupcakes

Makes 18-20 cupcakes

3 cups Coach’s Oats Multigrain Pancake Mix

1 cup sugar (or sugar substitute)

1/4 cup light margarine or butter

1 cup nondairy or low fat milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)

1/2 cup egg substitute

2 teaspoons almond extract (or vanilla)

Directions:

Mix all ingredients together in large bowl. Beat for 4 minutes at medium speed with an electric mixer (I use my KitchenAid).

Pour in lined or greased muffin pans. Bake at 375 for 17-18 minutes.

Let cool on wire rack.

Frost with your favorite frosting.

Take these multigrain goodies over to impress your neighbors. They’ll love them and think you have your life all together.

When you’re ready for it, find the biggest cupcake with the most frosting and indulge with some experimental homemade ice cream (recipe is in the works).

You’ll feel like the best mom in the world.

The five lucky winners of the Coach’s Oats Pancake Mix are:

76- Kristi @ Sweetly Fit

14- Danica @ It’s Progression

36- Jessica Jones

99- Krystal

74- Tayla @ She’ll Be Free

Congratulations ladies! I’m so excited for you to get your hands on this stuff. Email me at stuftmama@stuftfitness.com with your mailing address and I’ll send it on to our friends at Coach’s Oats.

Thank you to everyone for being on this amazing ride with us.

Comments

i have to agree with that wise woman!! you need to ease up on yourself a bit. 😉 (i tell you this as i’m telling myself the SAME thing. haha)
    those cupcakes look SO good!! yum!

Sara says:

Cupcakes look yummy! What type of frosting did you use? I love the color!

You are an amazing multi-tasker! Even if you don’t beleive that yourself! I’m so inspired by all that you get accomplished – but I agree – your boys and your hubby should always be first and foremost! Proud of you!

I knew you would say that. 🙂 You always have your priorities set straight. 🙂 So wish we were meeting in person this weekend. Darn it.

nina says:

kristen, what a wise woman indeed! i am new to your blog but from what i can see, you are hardest on yourself. your kids are adorable and probably will be running with you in the not too distant future (mine are 3 and 5, and i love when they run with me).

quick question – what kind of protein powder do you usually get? thanks!

Nina- I love that your kids love to run with you. I can’t wait until these guys do. Joaquin wants to “run” with me at the park, but it doesn’t last long. Ha! I like Spiru-tein and Vega. 🙂 I just recently started using both of them because I wanted nondairy ones.

I was just talking to a client today about you and how much of a rockstar you are. Seriously, you don’t give yourself enough credit. You are doing a great job at everything you do! Max loves wearing skinny jeans. They definitely do not slow him down though. Those cupcakes look delicious!

Oh Sarena- NO. I’m barely hnaging on (hello- taxes). 🙂 Yeah, those skinny jeans only slow us down, not the kids. What’s that about? 🙂 Ha!

lindsay says:

You are an amazing mom for just realizing this. Such love and care and the fact that you are HOME with them. No one is perfect, thank goodness. But we have each other, other families, our faith to keep us going.

xxoo

Cheryl D. says:

Those cupcakes look great! I’ll have to try them:) You are a great mom, keep up the good work:) And by the way, you inspire me to keep doing what I do too!

Your frosting is so smooth – very talented! I have to use an ice piper, because spreading it like that never works well for me.

And I think you seem like an AWESOME mom! All the cute photos of the boys and they always seem to be having fun, isn’t that what it’s about (well, at least partly). 🙂

Heather- The frosting is from a jar and done with a cheapo kitchen knife. LOL. Don’t be fooled with all the pics. I edit out most of the craziness. JK.

Part of what makes you such an amazing mom is that your kids seeing you doing amazing things they are going to think are normal. So then they will grow up to do amazing things too and people will ask “Guys, how did you get so amazing?” and they’ll say “Well our mom is pretty awesome and fed us lots of spinach growing up.” That’s totally how this will play out.

Amy says:

yes!! cupcakes!! i have been weirdly obsessed with cupcakes lately..its sort of a problem. cupcakes and cream cheese frosting…not a good combo when theres only 2 people in the house and 1 of them has self control ha..not me

I go through stages when I’m obsessed with cupcakes too. I have to make single serving ones usually with my own frosting or give them away. 🙂 He he.

I bet your boys think you are the coolest mom ever. and how lucky for them to have such a great example of healthy living set for them?! From this perspective, you are doing a FANTASTIC job and being a mamma. :0

Don’t be fooled. Ha ha! The poor boys don’t know any better. Thanks for saying that though Laura. I’m so sad I won’t be meeting you this weekend. We could definitely do some green damage at BLEND. 🙂

For what it’s worth you are a big inspiration to me!

As for skinny jeans, I always said I would never dress my son in sweat pants but ever since he started running around all over the place that’s all he wears 🙂 Way better to move in, which I realize isn’t what you are looking for right now with your two little Houdinis.

Jenny- Thanks for saying that. You’re a huge inspiration for everyone out there still rokcing the running pregnant and all. 🙂 Yeah, I better hide the sweats for now. The tighter the better. Just kidding.

woooohoooo!!! I can’t believe i won! This just made my day. 🙂

I love the skinny jeans! My boys had some this winter, and every time they wore them, I would laugh all day. They just seemed so hilarious. But they did get holes in the knees faster. Maybe they tripped more with the restrictive legs.:) And it’s ok to write about yourself and your race. That’s why we are all reading! We love to read about you and your successes. It makes the rest of us feel ready to man up for our next race!

The skinny jeans are pretty entertaining aren’t they? No holes yet though. I wish I looked half as good in my pair. Thanks for saying that about the race. I like that “man up”. 🙂 Let’s all “man up”, yes?

Lisa says:

So happy you made this realization! The boys are so lucky that you get to be at home with them. I think your job is so important and great that you are easing up on yourself a bit! I am always so impressed by how much you get done in your day!

I’m so excited to try the mix!! The recipes you shared will definitely be whipped up in my kitchen once the goods get here! 🙂 thank you!

That’s a great realization to make! Your boys are so lucky to have you as a mom :). And I want those cupcakes. NOW haha

Becky Przy says:

A wise woman (and man) a.k.a. my parents just told me that same thing;-)

I think you do an awesome job as a mom! I think we put too much pressure on ourselves to ‘do it all’. I struggle to find balance, but no matter what my daughter and husband are #1 (even though it may not appear that way, I try!).

Those cupcakes look delicious!!!!

Coco says:

Sounds like some amazing wisdom- and while I’m not a mom (it scares the living crap out of me BTW) I struggle to find balance more than anything.. I get overwhelmed and guilty about not living up to the high expectations I set for myself , while not taking credit for the little things or enjoying the process.. Its a work in progress.. I thing your doing an amazing job- I mean just look at those little kiddo’s- they are beautiful, happy and healthy! Thanks for sharing 🙂