Random Thursday Things

This is going to be quick. Gosh- I feel like I say that a lot, but today I’ve really got a lot on my plate.

My poor legs haven’t fully recovered from the race last weekend which is making me a little nervous about this weekend’s race. Yikes. Oh well, I’ve got a couple days. I really need to invest in a foam roller (and learn how to use it).

Speaking of the race. That leader board was in the paper the other day and I got a little blurb online in our local paper here.

image

I’m a little excited about it.

That’s almost as exciting as this ginormous cauliflower I found at the Farmer’s market the other day.

This huge thing was $3.

Don’t mind the bedhead or pajamas, but I wanted to make sure you saw how big it is.

Yeah, we’re all pretty impressed. I see some roasted cauliflower in our future. Or I might try this recipe from Sarena or I’ve been wanted to try a cauliflower pizza crust. has anyone tried that?

Oh and these guys……

Monday they “hated” the carwash.

Yesterday they were all about “going to the car wash and the zoo”.

Go figure.

I haven’t been feeling too hot the past few days. My tummy has been a little off lately again since the race. I’ve been letting some dairy slip back into my diet here and there and I don’t think it’s a good thing.

A homemade Flatout pizza and a gluten free one with cheese. Oops. I couldn’t resist.

I guess I have to realize the whole nondairy change might have to be more of a lifelong thing. I’m okay with that. I feel so much better when I’m off dairy, but it’s hard sometimes.

I made myself feel better by ordering some delicious nondairy bars from All Star Health.

I’m loving these Clif Mojo bars more and more every day. My favorite is the chocolate coconut that they sell at Trader Joe’s, but the prices were so good online for these that I thought I’d go all out and buy a little variety.

I also stocked up on some GU (also from All Star Health).

Holy GU stock. I better sign up for some more races just to get through all this. Ha!

Speaking of races, check out this cool shirt from the nice people over at Competitor and the Rock “n’ Roll Race Series. They have races all over the place all year long.

I’m trying to convince STUFT Daddy to take a “race-cation” this summer for the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Chicago in July. He doesn’t seem too excited. I’ll keep trying though. Ha.

Some random food stuff before I go.

Remember this almond milk plus protein I bought the other day?

I’m not impressed. I’m going to stick with my standard Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze or Trader Joe’s Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk. Less calories, better taste and you can always add some protein in if you want.

I ventured away from my favorite wine the other day when we were celebrating the race and tried this Blackstone Red Blend.

I liked it.

I also made a gluten free version of the Coach’s STUFT Straw-nana Cereal Cake the other day for the boys and it was a big hit.

I just subbed in this gluten free pancake mix

and used this gluten free cereal for the crumb topping.

It turned out pretty darn good.

Click here for the original recipe and here for Coach’s version..

Yeah, I like to match things.

My plates and cups always have to match. Anyone else?

That same gluten free pancake mix also made some pretty tasty hooligan pancakes the other day as well.

Okay, I’m off. I think I need to whip up that fruit crumble and then we’re going to try a little stroller jog to loosen up my legs a bit.

We may be paying a visit to Soup Plantation later today with Grandma D and man alive do I know how to build a salad at that place. He he.

Have a great day!!!

Comments

hahahahaha…matching things!
    i am FOREVER switching up the covers on our sippy cups! my wife goes back through the cabinet behind me and changes them all back to match. good times…..
    and HOLY HEAD OF CAULIFLOWER! scared the fur right off of poor Mr. Bigglesworth….(heh heh heh)

I love Mojo bars too! Need to try the choco coconut. We always buy the huge box from Sam’s club, but I bet the prices online are better. That darn sam’s club can be a ripoff sometimes.

The best prices are at Trader Joe’s, but they only have 2 flavors. Yes, you need to try those choco coconut ones though. Delicious. I think I might have one right now actually.

you call that quick? Goodness girl you can do a lot when you are being “quick”. ;-)

Your boys are too cute…and that cauliflower? Well, it is crazy big!

amity says:

Love, love cauliflower, and i have tried cauliflower pizza crust. It is really easy and so very yummy!! I even have some cauliflower “riced” and ready to go for my next pizza.

Amity- so I have to “rice” it first? I need to find a recipe. I might try that tonight. I bet I could make one heck of a big pizza. :) LOL.

• amity says:

Easy peasy to rice and then you can store whatever you don’t use in the fridge. That head you have would make a massive pizza or just a bunch of little ones. Here is the recipe i use to “rice” the cauliflower:
        Take 1 large head of fresh cauliflower, remove stems and leaves, and chop the florets into chunks. Add to food processor and pulse until it looks like grain. Do not over-do pulse or you will puree it. Place the riced cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes (some microwaves are more powerful than others, so you may need to reduce this cooking time). There is no need to add water, as the natural moisture in the cauliflower is enough to cook itself.
        One large head should produce approximately 3 cups of riced cauliflower. The remainder can be used to make additional pizza crusts immediately, or can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.

• amity says:

Oh, and if you don’t have a recipe for the pizza dough, this is the one i like from Eat. Drink. Smile.
          1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower
          1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
          1 egg, beaten (or egg whites)
          1 tsp dried oregano
          1/2 tsp crushed garlic
          1/2 tsp garlic salt
          olive oil (optional)
          pizza sauce, shredded cheese and your choice of toppings
          Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
          In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Add oregano, crushed garlic and garlic salt, stir. Transfer to the cookie sheet, and using your hands, pat out into a 9″ round. Optional: Brush olive oil over top of mixture to help with browning.
          Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
          Remove from oven. To the crust, add sauce, toppings and cheese. Place under a broiler at high heat just until cheese is melted (approximately 3-4 minutes).

• STUFT Mama says:

Does yours ever fall apart without any bread in there? I was thinking I might have to add some flour or breadcrumbs or something to hold it together a little better.

• STUFT Mama says:

I already emailed you, but thanks so much for this Amity. You are awesome!!!! :)

that is a serious cauliflower. you could make 2 pizzas with that thing! one for me. :)

I’ve tried the cauliflower pizza before, it’s pretty neat! Mine kind of fell apart but it was still good. My boyfriend was hungry two hours later…I guess the healthy crust isn’t quite as filling. :) Good luck on your race this weekend!

I buy the Clif Bars and GU buy the boxes too ;-) Love roasted or smashed cauliflower. Never tried making pizza crust with it.

Heather- You just can’t go wrong with cauliflower. have you tried the new PB GU? I haven’t opened that box yet but I’m super excited about it. :)

• I haven’t tried it. I’m super curious but also afraid. I made the mistake of trying what I thought would be a “fun” new flavor during a run once. Gag! So now I stick to the vanilla. Always the vanilla LOL. If you remember, let me know how you like the PB

I see someone likes hot pepper flakes as much as I do! That cauliflower is huge, think of all you can do! I am dying to try that cauliflower ‘rice’.

Alex- “like” hot pepper flakes is an understatement. Ha ha! Good thing they sell them at Costco. I’ve done the cauliflower “rice” before and wasn’t too impressed. I’m hoping my pizza experiement will go over better.

I have yet to try the PB GU, but can’t wait!!! So wish I was meeting you this weekend. Have fun and kick their booties with your boot camp. :)

That cauliflower is so beautiful. It’s kind of intimidating :) I wouldn’t know what to do with it, I’d probably just leave it on the counter until it went bad. At least you know for sure now about dairy, even though it sucks to avoid it. One day I’m going to try oats again but not for a long time since my stomach still hasn’t normalized much.

Amy says:

too bad that almond milk plus didnt work out..i was so excited about it! (not that they sell it here hah). i guess usually those milks with added stuff never turn out the best..oh well! btw, the i love gu!! i swear the chocolate one tastes like brownie batter haha so good

I want a little cake!!! Congrats on the mention, have I mentioned how incredible I think you are? You are such an inspiration and truly amazing woman!!!

I want to try the cauliflower crust too, but I don’t know if it will work well without cheese? I need to investigate this more! I hope your legs feels 100% by tomorrow.

Wo-hoo on the mention in the paper!

That cauliflower is crazy! I think you could make at least 3 pizzas with that. I’ve tried the cauliflower pizza and it’s divine!

If they sell them in your area, check out the new Daiya Wedge cheeses – they are fantastic!! That will help you in your dairy-free quest without having to loose the cheesiness. :)

Lisa says:

Yay for your name in the paper! How exciting. I love things to match too!! And as I’ve said before, I love it how the boys always match. It is adorable. I like the looks of that cauliflower, I just ate a whole head of it in 24 hours haha. I can go through that stuff easily!

Becca says:

YES! The almond milk plus was a big disappointment! I thought FINALLY an almond milk with extra protein, but it was too good to be true. I ended up dumping it after one swig… waaaaaaaay too sweet. Weird taste.

Carly says:

Mmm that chocolate coconut Clif bar sounds divine!

Those are all rock star photos! I love you buy your GU in bulk… so do I. I mostly rock Chocolate, but espresso and vanilla also get some love. Have you tried Jet Blackberry or Mint Chocolate.. also yummy, but I normally buy the smaller boxes on those. Great post!

I’ve never tried the chocolate, but I just had the Jet Blackberry at this past weekend’s race and loved it. :) Mint chocolate…. I have a pack, but haven’t opened it. :) Saving it for a special occasion, you know. Ha! :) Have a great weekend!

Cindy G. says:

I love the cauliflower crust and I love the girl who created it, Jamie. She’s a funny one. http://yourlighterside.com/recipe-the-original-cauliflower-pizza-dough-2/ (I don’t have fennel, so I don’t use fennel.)

Regarding actual cauliflower rice, there is a Mexican cauliflower rice recipe that I looooooove, too. There’s also an Asian fried cauliflower rice recipe. Mmmm. I loveth it so.

Okay, wait, a Mexican rice and an Asian rice recipe? Would love to try those. :) Thanks for the link to. Off to check it out. My little creation needs a little help. Ha ha!

Liz says:

First, I haven’t had a chance to congratulate you on your AWESOME race time last weekend! You just keep getting faster girl! I hope you feel better for this weekend’s race at Stuft Daddy’s work.
    Second, that cauliflower is so impressive and looks delicious!
    Last but not least, Bella and I miss you and the boys, hope all is well! :)

We’ve been talking about you and Bella and her hurt arm. I told the boys they can’t jump on the bed. How is she???? Poor thing. We miss you like crazy! How many more weeks of school?

Annie McGee says:

WOW!! That is huge, and I would most likely eat it all in one serving (roasted or pizza crust style!) You should totally do the Chicago Rock N’ Roll half…I am from just south of there and it is a great race!!! One of the best they have (besides the full marathon!)

1. [...] the cats who were causing a commotion in our bedroom or yours truly who managed to eat that whole ginormous head of cauliflower in just two days. Yep, all by myself. I’m not proud and my stomach is not [...]