Family Day- Pics and Bowls

I planned on sleeping in a little this morning (you know, until 6:45 or so), but I’m up at 6:00 am on the dot instead. It’s a toss up who’s at fault- the cats who were causing a commotion in our bedroom or yours truly who managed to eat that whole ginormous head of cauliflower in just two days. Yep, all by myself. I’m not proud and my stomach is not happy.

Dinner last night.

BBQ/Buffalo style roasted cauliflower with rotisserie chicken  (The original post on it is here.)

Good morning?

So our family day yesterday panned out as planned.

After my little 5 1/2 mile run in the morning we headed out to breakfast to our favorite little local spot Champions.

I got an egg white veggie omelet with some extra jalapeños.

(That’s a picture before I covered it in salsa. Somehow it’s not as pretty after the salsa is on.)

The boys polished off Joel’s Special.

STUFT Daddy got corned beef and hash, but I didn’t subject him to the picture taking. I was trying to butter him up so he would take up to Costco afterward.

My little plan worked.

I’m pretty sure we stopped at every sample stand there.

My little plan to get him to stop at Starbucks on the way home wasn’t as successful. He was not in the mood.

I have no idea why.

The boys are back there. Don’t worry. They had plenty of room beside the paper towels.

Some fun topics of conversation on our outings.

Andrew’s new LA Gear shoe purchase. Yep. I promised I’d disclaim that they were only $20 and they are strictly “work” shoes.

We figured out our little cheap family morning put us in the hole $400. Costco is dangerous.

Andrew thought I was joking when I pulled out about 6 or so packages of my favorite bread down from the shelf to find the perfect one. I wasn’t. I have to find the best loaves that are the most undercooked and have the most recent date. Sometimes that takes awhile.

It also takes me a very long time to find the perfect bag of bananas.

Oh, and the perfect rotisserie chicken.

No wonder no one wants to shop at Costco with me.

After our hefty Costco bill, we still needed wet cat food. Of course. Andrew couldn’t figure out why we didn’t just buy it while we were there, but I informed him Kitty doesn’t eat that pâté kind they carry.

Once we got home things looked a little like this.

IMG_1434IMG_1437IMG_1438

I made up this huge bowl of nondairy overnight oats (in the day and let it sit for about an hour) for an afternoon snack. They weren’t as great as the fudgy oats I made last week, but they did the trick.

Cold Protein Power Oats

(dairy free)

1 banana, mashed

3/4 cup nondairy milk

1/2 cup oats (40 grams)

1 tablespoon chia

1 packet of sweetener

splash of vanilla

2 tablespoons of PB2

1/2 scoop unsweetened vanilla protein powder (10-15 grams)

Mix everything up and let it sit in the fridge for about an hour or more.

I topped mine with some Trader Joe’s almond butter and strawberries.

I also just remembered that I made this amazing bowl of quinoa cereal last week that I never showed you.

My friend Sara recommended buying quinoa flakes for recipes and cereal as a gluten free alternative for Judah.

I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to cook the cereal on the stove (2 minutes) and how good it was just made with water like the directions say.

Here’s what went in my bowl.

2/3 cup quinoa flakes with 2 cups water

2 tablespoons PB2

1 sweetener packet

splash of vanilla

cinnamon

1/2 scoop VegaOne protein powder

Then I topped it with one of my favorite combos (and a little extra scoop of almond butter).

Okay, enough chatter for a Saturday morning, yes?

I’m off to boot camp, a special Zella Movement Event at Nordstrom and then to pick up yet another race packet.

Living the life.

What do you have planned? Anything that involves a Flat Kitty picture you’re going to send me?

He he.

Comments

Stephanie says:

Bwa ha ha. STUFT Daddy does NOT look happy to be pushing that Costco cart. And while I don’t have a membership anymore, I recall always feeling like I needed a nap after shopping there.

And LA Gear – oh my goodness they still exist? I remember it was THE THING to have a pair of LA Gear back in…middle school was it? Of course it was purely fashion, not function.

Stephanie- My exact thoughts on the whole LA Gear thing. They make those still? 🙂 Oh and he was NOT happy in Costco. it will be a long time before I convince him to go back. Ha!

It looks like you had a great day with the family! It’s always good to sneak in some quality time. Both of your oats look great! I love big hearty bowls of oats, they are so satisfying, especially with a spoonful of PB!

Liz says:

Love the family trip to Costco, sounds like my adventures! Those quiona flakes sound great, are they from Sprouts or online?
    Thank you for asking about Bella’s arm. She broke her elbow jumping on the bed. We went yesterday for more x-rays and they gave her a new cast. In two weeks she gets it off (4 weeks total) but she she doesn’t seem bothered by it. If anything, she thinks she is more invincible! About 6 more weeks until school is out, if your not doing Stoller jam anymore, Bella and I will have to venture out to Escondido to visit you guys!
    Good luck tomorrow, hope you score some cute Zella gear to sport through your park run! 🙂

Thanks Liz! I didn’t score any new gear, but I did get a really cool Nordstrom bottle of water. 🙂 Ha ha. Glad Bella’s handling the cast well. Poor little lady. 🙁 We miss you! We’ll definitely have to figure something out if the boys and I aren’t doing stroller jam anymore over the summer. Hope you’re having a good weekend.

I’m liking this trend of being mentioned in all your posts 😉 So glad you like the quinoa flakes. I also use them in baking subbing for 1/2 the flour and they are good in microwave muffins and pancakes too. Basically they’re my replacement for oats. I actually have never made a bowl of sweet cereal with them. I make savory hot cereal cooked with nutritional yeast and curry, topped with turkey, tomato paste and guac. Anyway, family day looks to have been successful. I’ll probably hit Costco tomorrow but surely ring in far below 400 just for me 🙂 I can only buy so many cases of tomato paste at a time!

Lisa says:

Haha oh goodness, don’t you worry. Nobody likes to go to Costco with me either. I don’t have my own card, so I have to use my mom’s which means she comes with me. Yah, she does not like this idea. Same goes with grocery shopping. Yum to all your oaty goodness. Have a great day!!

No one likes to shop with me anywhere. I’m too indecisive and annoying. I don’t blame them. I do feel bad for my boys though. Ha. Hope you’re having a good weekend. I think you should get your own Costco card. He he!

too funny! my husband and i decided for the sake of our marriage we shall never go grocery shopping together. we tried it once and never again. i take foreeeeeever. checking out new items, comparing prices, DATES, ingredients, etc and he speeds through gets what he needs is outta there!

Linz- ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I take forever and Andrew HATES it. He think I do it on purpose to annoy him. LOL. Maybe we should shop together. 🙂

Joy says:

I love the family day photos! Breakfast out after a run sounds so rewarding.

I hope your race goes well tomorrow.

P.S. I finally found the chocolate/almond/coconut flavored Mojo bar! I had to go to a Trader Joe’s in another state! Can’t wait to try it.

Becky Przy says:

Impressive on getting your husband into Costco–I think I would have to haul mine in over my shouler;-)

I finally got a chance to pick up a bottle of your favorite wine, you are right, it is good! My husband used to make his own wine and ever since he quit I haven’t been able to find one I like, but this one made the cut.

Good luck at your race tomorrow!

Sara says:

Is it mean that I make our cats eat the Costco pate food because it’s cheap? (They like it though.) But one can a day and it lasts us 1 1/2 months! 🙂 With three cats, that’s not bad!

Sara says:

And my last comment … my husband isn’t a huge fan of Costco either. His blood pressure goes very high the moment we walk in. I have to push the cart because he gets far too irritated. And we always spend more than we plan to at Costco! But I sure do love that store! Giant tubs of cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. Yes, please.