This is How We Do It

Do you remember that song by Montel Jordan? Oh college days. It was at every party and I pretended I knew how to dance. Ha ha.

I should’ve written a disclaimer on my race recap post not only warning you about the toe picture and the bazillion pictures of me, but also that while it came across like I have a lot of friends everywhere, I really don’t. I’m actually not a very good friend these days. As I write this I have countless emails to return, a couple of voicemails I haven’t even listened to and some lunch dates that have been in the works for months. I also can’t remember birthdays worth beans.

Want to be my friend?

Anyhoo.

This is how we do some random things around here.

This is how I stock up on as many freebies as possible at the end of a race.

My hands were so full I had to beg someone for a bag. Usually I hoard goodies in the stroller, but Papap and the boys conveniently ditched me. I think I embarrass them.

This is how Judah remembers spending a lot of time in the womb.

Oh the elliptical. Remember my looking back post and this picture?

Ha ha.

This is how the boys pretend to work at the “animal park” like Daddy.

IMG_0324IMG_0326IMG_0327

This is how I’ve been doing up my protein cookie dough the past few days. Depending on my mood I’ve done pumpkin protein dough with SunButter and berries

or the Fudgy STUFT Protein Cookie Dough with a scoop of peanut butter.

I’ve been using Kashi Go Lean instead of crispy brown rice lately also for a little change.

This is how we’ve spent the past couple of mornings with our stroller classes. Monday it was at the beach.

Yesterday it was at the park and we made sure to make time to swing before we headed to the gym for the next class.

This is how I make the whole family workout while they watch my trainer Bob and I on TV doing the workout.

Judah rocks at burpies. We had a 20 minute family sweat session last night for a Team Bob workout (even STUFT Daddy took part).

See me up there with “my boyfriend”?

Oh Bob. Watch your hand sir.

This is how I eat pizza these days.

No cheese, but a lot of jalapeños and crushed red pepper to make up for it.

(That was dinner after the race Sunday. We ordered from our favorite local place Filippi’s.)

This is how I do dessert after I PR in a race.

That’s some homemade ice cream I’ve been experimenting with (pretty much every night) and way underneath there I have one of these cupcakes.

The boys and I made some of these after the race Sunday.

We took our basic low fat cake recipe, but took it up a notch with a secret ingredient.

Um, they might be the best light version of a boxed cupcakes I’ve ever had.

Best Ever Low Fat Cupcakes From a Box

1 box cake mix

1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce

2 tablespoons melted coconut oil

1 cup egg substitute

1 1/4 cup water

Mix all ingredients as directed on box. Bake according to box directions.

Frost with your favorite frosting. I used some expired dark chocolate fudge kind from a jar. Classy.

At least I added some sprinkles and a little grind from Trader Joe’s Sugar, Chocolate and Coffee Bean grinder.

Oh my goodness. I’m telling you, these are the best modified cupcakes from a box I have ever made (even with the expired frosting).

Coconut oil does magic when baking. Grandma D was even impressed.

And….. after eating way too many of these cupcakes in 48 hours after the race, this is how I did my big healthy dessert last night.

A baked my high protein pumpkin muffin, topped it with a little coconut butter and served it up with Katie’s ice cream.

Why yes, I do love dessert.

Random questions:

Do you have certain bowls. plates or mugs that you use depending on what you eat? I’m so protective about “my” cute bowls, tea spoons, mugs, plates, etc. I’m wondering if I have a little problem or if anyone else has the same issue. (Beth- at least I know you’re with me.)

The boys and I want to make a Mother’s Day workout video for you. What kind of workout do you want?

Comments

OMG they are just sooooo adorable! Thank you for making me smile this morning!

Oh I have favorite bowls, plates, spoons and mugs that I use for certain things. I made the best pumpkin microwave muffin the other day with 2 whole eggs. It was legit.

Melissa says:

I’m totally a race freebie hoarder, too. Totes making those cupcakes when I have a kitchen again. And I only eat oatmeal out of mini bowls that it barely fits in. Most random comment ever? Yup.

You like desserts the way I do: BIG. Only way to go! For your pumpkin muffin, what do you bake it in so it has those nice littles ridges? And where did you get it at? I think I have to have one now. ;)

I have this cute little pan. It’s in a lot of my brakfast recipes. I think I got it at Sur la Table. I love it! :) I can send you a picture if you want. :)

Stephanie C says:

How funny I even read the title of your post to the time of that song.

Ah I have this massive mug that my soup must be served in and have a specific tea mug that i am sure makes my tea taste better!

Love the blog and loving the recipes!! Thank you!!
    Steph

Oh I have a special mug that my mochas for sure taste better in. LOL. I want to break out dancing every time I read the title. It’s better for everyone around that I don’t. Ha.

That elipitcal photo gets me every time – I have no idea how you were upright with that huge pregnant belly filled with twins!!

I don’t really have special stuff for certain meals. I do have a favorite bowl for soups (any soup), does that count?

Stocking up on pop chips, totally acceptable to me!! I would have brought a large jacket to get more! haha. I actually made my own full set of plates/bowls/cups that is a cow design on the outside and inside is spotty green. I made these so I like to use them because I have so many sizes they fit every kind of food I want!

You made your own set of bowls and stuff? Do you make them for other people? That is awesome!!!!!!

• haha I made them over a time of a few weeks where I would go to the same clay place to paint them, it was a long process but well worth it! I gave away a few pieces but I like them too much to give more away.

Tiffani says:

I love the elliptical picture of you pregnant. It rocks!

Now, I have Montel Jordan stuck in my head and I am A-OKAY with that :)

I love jalapenos!!! I can’t believe your mouth isn’t still on fire from the amount on a slice though!

You would have been in heaven with all the Blend schwag. More Pop Chips than I knew what to do with (not really – eat them. Duh.).

I think my mouth is immune. :) Oh that BLEND swag. I’m jealous!!! You look so cute in all the pics I’ve seen! :) I want your hair. Wish I was there.

Anna W. says:

I, too, am not a great friend, so let’s, you and I, be lame friends ;)

As far as workout videos……something that will really kick my ass!

Can’t wait to make those cupcakes!

Beth Petrassi says:

Please include me in your list of friends. I don’t even have people believing that I have friends – most people know that I am reclusive /haha/. I just seem to lack the time to “hang”. But anytime, I would love to hang out – as long as schedules work out… As far as the dishes – I am excited that the dishwasher is full of CLEAN dishes and I have all of my favorites for today… Wow – I need a life, huh?? Maybe instead of hoarding my dishes and utensils I could try sharing them with some potential friends… Ummm that just caused me a little anxiety – heehee – kidding.

Oh, your on the list whether you want to be or not. LOL. I always joke that my Y friends are all I have. Wait, that’s not a joke. Oh, I don’t share my dishes with anyone. :) Maybe I need my own cabinet. Hmm…. Yes- let’s hang out! We could shop for cute new dishes! :)

Joy says:

Oh yes, I have special bowls for different foods and special cups for certain beverages and no one better use those special items or I’ll be upset and my food won’t taste as good (right?).

As for workouts, I’d love a core-intense one. And do you have any standing core movements you could show us?

Joy- I am the exact same way with special cups and bowls for certain foods. Yay!!! Definitely helps with the taste, right? Ha! Standing core movements- I’ll put that on the list. :)

nina says:

your pic of the boys watching you and bob made me laugh! a while back when i was addicted to his inside out dvd, i heard one of my small guys say to the other, in the voice i KNOW you have heard in his class, “HOLD THAT SQUAT!” it cracked me up. love the pics

angela says:

Awesome, i now have that song stuck in my head! Haha! Oh well, it put me in a good mood :) see, you are a good friend! :) i definitely have my favorite dishes. Especially a specific spoon & mug. And i see the same trait in my son! Haha! As for a workout, i would love a good hamstring/butt routine :)

Angela- yes, spoons and mugs are the most important. Ha! Awesome that your son has the same trait. My son has the same trait that I can’t have any of my different foods touching. Oops. Oh hamstrings and butt- on the list. :)

I think you’re an amazing friend! Probably since you are the same way I am! I agree with the addition of coconut oil to baked goods. I added it to brownies the other day and it tasted like mounds bars. So good! Oh and I’m the same way with my bowls, cups and utensils. Everything I eat has a proper container. I hope you’re having a great day!

Lisa says:

They are the cutest working out haha, I love that. I love that your meals and desserts are big. I seriously can not eat things that are not voluminous, I love my volume in food! Or else I just get hungry after like 10 minutes. I still have to make your fudgey protein dough. I love the pumpkin one so much! I totally have bowls/spoons I don’t let anyone touch. If anyone uses them I have a minor freak out ;)

Are they really hammering the cupcakes?

How about a finger painting aka…finger work out….I am thinking they boys would love it and it would be funny to watch too…ha!

The picture of you on the elliptical is great! Brings back my own memories of my preggo twin belly. I really didn’t think I was that big until I saw the pictures after my they were born. Yes, I was all belly and huge!

I don’t have any favorite dishes. I guess that’s probably why I’m not a food blogger. :)

BTW – Thanks for sticking that lovely song in my head!

Angela- Totally. I never felt that big, but when I look back at pictures I’m a little shocked. Ha ha. Your totally welcome for the song. He he.

Yum Yucky says:

First time here and I could write a way too long paragraph about all your awesome pics. Short version: The cupcakes. The tasty looking fruit. Cute little Judah. Your ellipticallcizing while knocked up. All of it…awesome.

I kid you not…I was just singing that song YESTERDAY. Travis told me to shut up.

Paige says:

Aw Kristin you’re not a bad friend – just human:) makes me
    feel better for being the same way! :-)
    I’ve never done any of Bob’s videos. Are they pretty good?

Amy says:

look at your belly!!! you’re so cute preggo i love that pic!! oh i also love the one of bob clearly makin’ a move on you…haha thats awesome. i have to try those cupcakes to btw…ive been craving cupcakes like a crazy women so these sound perfect!

Holy cute pregnant-with-twins lady! I love it. And I love cupcakes. We accidentally (from a cancelled party) have a giant cookie cake in our fridge. Our twins keep sneaking pinches of it, but we have yet to cut into it. Now that everyone is asleep, I might give it a go.

Elle says:

Your kids are adorable. Love their little ‘uniforms’.

i love spicy things and jalapenos but i dont think i could take one bite of your pizza!! :) :)

Coco says:

Pizza and cupcakes look amazing! You were seriously the cutest little pregnant lady :) So inspiring to see someone stay so active and healthy during it all and get right back into shape so quickly..

Sherry says:

Seriously girl how do you eat that much red pepper and jalapenos? My hubby is Hispanic and cannot eat that much hot. You must have an iron stomach!

Sherry- I don’t know, but it’s a problem. I need everything super spicy. I’ve even had restaurants make me special sauce and they can’t believe I eat it. I need to find a contest or something where I can win some money. Ha ha.

1. [...] ate the entire head of cauliflower. Yes, yes I did. I then proceeded to make this ice cream again (for the fourth night in a row) and put it on top of a Banana Chocolate Chip [...]

2. [...] (except for egg substitute instead of real eggs). I didn’t even make my low fat versions (this or this) like I usually [...]

3. [...] sweeteners. I’ve been trying to limit them lately, but I’m just not ready to go cold turkey. This ice cream recipe I have for you uses them too. A little moderation is okay, [...]