Wednesday Eats and a Cauliflower Crust Crumble

This is going to be a little What I Ate Wednesday kind of a post. Because, well, I took a load of food pictures yesterday for no reason, I have about 10 minutes before the boys are going to be walking down the hall screaming “Mommy where are you” and I revisited that cauliflower crust again last night and decided it was worth sharing.

Ready?

Breakfast yesterday was a version of green hooligan pancakes. The boys had a gluten free version following this recipe (I subbed in this gluten free pancake mix).

I made myself a hefty batch with a combination of a couple of flours.

I followed my original hooligan pancake recipe and directions, but changed up the flours just a bit.

Mama’s Green Hooligans

1/4 cup whole wheat flour

2 tablespoons coconut flour

1/2 cup egg substitute

1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk

pinch of salt

cinnamon

splash of vanilla

1 sweetener packet

1 tablespoon light margarine (for melting in the dish)

I topped them with sugar free maple syrup and some berries.

After a treadmill run at the gym

(I like to schedule my gym runs so I can watch Access Hollywood and That 70’s Show.)

lunch was shoveled in my face in about 2 minutes.

Dumb picture. I was inhaling it at the time. In the wrap- a Soft and Delicious Wrap (only because we were out of Flatouts) with Costco shredded chicken, a jalapeño, broccoli slaw romaine, Cholula and Frank’s Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce.

My afternoon snack sent from heaven was fudgy STUFT protein cookie dough with a scoop of a new peanut butter I’m trying out.

You’ll be hearing a lot about that peanut butter soon (an awesome giveaway is in the works).

So…. dinner. Last week after a long twitter conversation about cauliflower crust, some help from my friend Heather and a recipe from STUFT reader Amity (thank you for all your emails), I experimented at home.

I did the same experiment last night. Now I know there are a lot of great recipes out there (like this one and this one), but all of them have cheese. I’m convinced the cheese must help hold it together, but with my new dairy free life and all I had to make some substitutions. I’m not going to pretend it’s some great creation (although I kind of think it is). It’s a bit crumbly.

But…..

if you’re looking for something low calorie, low carb, high protein, dairy free and ginormous that makes you feel like you’re indulging in a huge pizza crust, well, this is for you.

(Disclaimer- Yes, I know I really should stop pretending to be a food blogger/photographer. These pictures are not that great and cauliflower is not pretty, but you’ll get the idea.)

Yummy, Crumbly Cauliflower Pizza Crust

1 medium head of cauliflower

1 serving tempeh (I used 1/2 package of Trader Joe’s Organic Tempeh)

1/3 cup egg substitute

1 tablespoon nutritional yeast

seasonings: garlic salt, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, dried oregano, dried basil, crushed red pepper

Directions:

Clean and cut cauliflower. Shred to make cauliflower “rice” (I used my food processor.)

Microwave “rice” for 8 minutes.

Add in all other ingredients.

IMG_0399IMG_0402IMG_0403

Spray foil lined cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Form into small “crusts” or one big one on cookie sheet.

Bake at 450 for 15 minutes.

Admire your huge crumbly masterpiece.

Attempt to cut in pieces and serve without it totally falling apart.

Serve with a side of marinara.

Grab a fork, prop up your feet, watch a little Bethenny and dig in.

I ate the entire head of cauliflower. Yes, yes I did. I then proceeded to make this ice cream again (for the fourth night in a row) and put it on top of a Banana Chocolate Chip Vitatop.

Yeah, that huge bowl of dessert is less than 200 calories.

I am a volume eating champion. Ha ha.

I’m into sprinkles all of a sudden too lately. Weird. I should probably buy some that didn’t expire in 2010. Oops.

Okay, we’re hoping to make a workout video today. Woot woot. Let’s hope these guys are excited as I am.

Have a great day!

Do you all get stuck on a certain dessert (or breakfast or snack) that you have to eat every single day or night for like 2 weeks?

Comments

Oh yummy! I love the addition of the tempeh – big fan of protein ;-) Did you use like flax or chia egg or like Ener-G replacer? And thanks for the mention! Hope you’re having a great one!

Heather- I used egg substitute from a carton. :) The tempeh gave it a good texture too I thought. :) Take care of those nails if you’re not too sore. He he.

Yesssss! I’ve been waiting for this crust recipe. I have all of the ingredients. Woot!

I have wanting this recipe now forever!!!! Love all the food.

I tried making the crust before and mine was crumbly too! I didn’t use tempeh though, great idea!

lindsay says:

i have a love hate relationship with the cauliflower rice. ITS SOO GOOD, yet so freakin messy. COme make it for me. I’ll pour the wine. and yes, you are a rockstar.. 10 miles! DANG!

Oh me too. Sooooo messy. Lame. I also cut my finger on the darn food processor. Yes, I’ll clean up the “rice” while you pour the wine. I bet they go really well together. :)

What a unique crust! Funny, I have a head of caulifower AND 1 serving left of tempeh in my fridge right now. Maybe I will try it out! Have you ever tried dairy free cheese that is soy, rice, or nut based? I’ve tried a few that actually were pretty darn good!

Well Kristi- I think it’s a sign that you have the ingredients. Be prepared to clean up a bunch of “rice” everywhere though. Not my favorite part. Ha! I have tried dairy free cheese, but it’s expensive. I bet it would totally work in those other recipes though. :)

Is there something I could sub-in for the tempeh? Or just leave it out? I’m gluten and soy intolerant… haha so fun. It looks so good though, I want to try it!

Hmm… good question. Not sure if you use some cheese alternatives, but that’s what all the other recipes had. Gluten and soy intolerant? That’s no fun Katie.

Kierston says:

Sooo many yummy eats! That chocolate PB cookie dough looks super yummy! I will have to try out that crust! Pinned!

I can’t wait until we hear this secret ice cream recipe.

Oh it’s no secret. It’s Chocolate Covered Katie’s recipe. I just keep changing it up everytime. Ha ha. I’m trying to come up with my own unique recipe, but you can only eat so much ice cream every night. LOL. Were you mising BL this week?

Ashley Smith says:

Kristin you’ve done it again. Like you, I’ve been off dairy– mostly because of the way it makes me feel so i’ve been trying to stay away from cheese but have been wanting to make this pizza crust recipe…. do you think i could sub in tofu for the tempeh? would you suggest firm or silken if i was going to give it a shot? should i add some egg whites as well? :)

btw- for the past month I have been making variations of Katie’s ice cream + a frozen banana. I’ve been using the SF Almond roca syrup in it for the last week. last night i also added a vitacake. DE-LISH!! we were kinda matchy-matchy with our desserts LOL.

Ashley- you are just WAY too nice. I’m the same way with dairy. I could eat it, but it does not make me feel good. I feel so much better when I don’t. If you try subbing in the tofu for the tempeh let me know. I’m curious to see if it comes out. it might even work better. Great, now I want to try it. Ha. I don’t know which consistency to try though.
      And yes, the recipe does have egg substitute in there. :)
      SF Almond Roca syrup in that ice cream= genius. Funny that we were matchy-matchy last night. Did you eat it watching Bethenny too? Ha.
      Have I told you that I think you’re awesome?

• Ashley says:

I need to watch bethenny! It’s in my dvr still… I actually watched RHONJ instead and tonight I plan on having te same exact dessert while watching Grey’s. Oh what an exciting life I lead! :) (I’ve actually been looking forward to that all day! Ha)

Tried the “pizza” with tofu. I actually really liked it! I burnt the edges because I made it too thick but te taste was pretty awesome! You should def try it! Oh and I used “firm”

Ha! About awesome… That’s pretty much my goal everyday. To make others believe I’m awesome. The Hubs is further convinced I’m stalking you because I told him that if we lived in cal Kristin and I would be friends. He thinks I’m creepy now hahaha!!

yum! I’m going to have to try this out- the crust of pizza is my favorite part so now I can have it as a full meal with the protein from the tempheh and egg! :D and there’s no chance of the boyfriend getting anywhere near this so it’s all for me!

Maggie- Andrew pretty much ran for the door as soon as I started cutting up the cauliflower. he hates the smell. I guess I should make it everytime I need a night alone. LOL.

Yum to all of that!

Katy A says:

OOO that looks yummy!! What is tempeh? I hope not soy?!?!?! I can’t eat soy because of my thyroid meds.

Vanessa G says:

I’m excited to try that cauliflower crust. Yummy! I have been stuck on the same dessert for about 5 yrs!!! Its ice cream. I seriously have been eating it every single night for the past 5 yrs!! I really don’t have a craving for any sweet stuff, except ice cream. I run ALOT and eat ice cream ALOT…balance right? I’m one of those people that can eat the same thing over and over until I’m tired of it. Then I find another food and eat it over and over. Ice cream (or peanut butter) never leaves though, haha :)

I’m horribly guilty of the repeat eats especially with dessert. I’m on a peanut butter baked oatmeal lately smothered in peanut butter. So good! That ice cream looks amazing! Yum!

Becky Przy says:

Nothing wrong w/eating an entire head of cauliflower! ;-) How do you make your ice cream?

I get stuck in food ruts all.the.time. I have been having overnight oats for over a year for a night time snack….my lunch and dinners are pretty much the same for 6 months in a row before I find a new obsession–hey it makes grocery shopping and meal planning for myself so much easier! (I am not home for supper–good thing because I don’t think the toddler and husband would be happy eating the same thing every night;-) )

Wondering what would help with the texture other than Tempeh, I really do NOT like it! Any suggestions?

Also I make twice baked cauliflower & what I do is steam it until it is very soft & then run it through my ricer. It doesn’t take long & I think would be a lot less messy than dealing with the food processor, wondering what your opinion would be on doing it this way?

If you don’t have issues with dairy a lot of people use cheese- mozzarella. :) The hubby hates tempeh too- I just tried to make him eat it last night. Ha ha.

1. [...] decided that I would make that. I also bought some cauliflower, so next on my to make list is this cauliflower-tempeh pizza crust! It sounds and looks [...]

2. [...] frozen veggie pizza and poor Andrew made his own raviolis. Then I had intentions of making my crumbly cauliflower pizza crust. That didn’t happen either. I ended up making a mean batch of roasted cauliflower (along with [...]

3. [...] coconut oil for the Smart Balance and made regular ones for the boys and a non green version of Mama’s Green Hooligans for [...]

4. [...] that reminds me, the cauliflower pizza crust is another option although a little more labor [...]