Lessons Learned

It seems like I’m always learning new things around here. This weekend however, I learned more than usual. Some things helpful, some not. All worth a little sharing on the blog though.

He he.

While it is easy to use the excuse that I just worked out or taught a class to sport around sweaty workout clothes every day,  it doesn’t quite come across as well wearing them to birthday parties over the weekend.

Even if I try to make it better by choosing a matching outfit, dressing the boys in the same color and spraying on a little perfume over my sweat. It’s just not a good idea.

The boys may say that they want to help me clean the floor and as much as I want it to happen, it never turns out well.

After letting the same snack cups sit out on the counter for more than three days, it just may be time to dump them out.

It may not be a coincidence that when I tell STUFT Daddy I’m making roasted broccoli slaw and kale chips for dinner yet again, he suddenly gets an invitation to go watch a sports game with his buddies.

Microwaved eggs are not the best snack to bring to church for many reasons.

People do not find it amusing when your toddler is screaming “I want to do push ups” during church.

Nail polish adheres to skin just enough to make it appear as if you didn’t lose a toe nail. See, you can’t even tell.

Ha ha. I can’t help but post pictures of my ugly feet on here.

You can buy pretty much anything on Amazon.

A family stop at Starbucks is expensive.

But, if it’s a special occasion (Mother’s Day) and it gives you a chance to flash your new gold card, it makes you feel pretty darn important. As it should since my favorite green tea soy latte (with sugar free vanilla syrup and 2 shots of espresso) is about $4.

Cheers.

My boys already has a thing for finding the best cards. This was the one I was handed for Mother’s Day.

Sometimes all it takes to make me smile in the morning is a strong mocha and a cute mug.

No matter where I am in the house at 6:30 am, this always seems to be my view.

My glass straw is awesome, but not that easy to clean. If you have any tips, I’ll take them.

This breakfast never gets old.

I’ll try to stop showing you pictures of this breakfast (and talking about broccoli slaw so much), but if you haven’t tried this yet I really think you should.

It’s a cross between the not the norm breakfast sandwich and the sweet treat breakfast sandwich. I’ve been eating it for the past two weeks straight every single morning. I love it for so many reasons- it’s packed with protein, takes about 5 minutes to make, is low fat and just darn delicious.

Here it is (so I can stop talking about it every day).

Mama’s Breakfast STUFTwich

1/2 cup egg substitute or egg whites

sugar free jam

bread of choice

My favorite way is with egg whites from a carton, sugar free boysenberry jam and on my favorite bread.

I prefer these egg whites (from Target) for this as opposed to my usual Costco egg substitute ones.

I microwave the egg whites in a bowl sprayed with cooking spray for 3:33 (yes, weird). Put them and some sugar free jam on the bread. Then if I have time I put it in the sandwich maker to make it a little crispy (and let’s face it, everything is better in the sandwich maker).

IMG_0434IMG_0435IMG_0438

The boys like theirs prepared like a grilled cheese on the stove.

IMG_0430IMG_0431IMG_0433

Instead of sugar free jam I’ve been using this superfruit spread from Trader Joe’s for their sandwiches.

This sandwich is also fabulous on a bagel thin, whole grain waffles or a whole grain English muffin.

I really think you should try it.

Back to the lessons…..

I think know my family likes me a lot better when I am away from my phone and camera. I tried my best to stay away this past weekend, but I still managed to snap a few pictures.

Oh and my boys sure know how to eat dessert like their mama.

I’m so proud.

I took some other pictures of the family, but I promised to not post without approval first, so that’s all you get for now.

Lastly, I have a bunch of $1 off a jar of SunButter coupons leftover from our half marathon for Amelia that expire at the end of this month.

I have 10 to give to you all.

Leave me a comment here telling me something fun about your Mother’s Day, your weekend or a “lesson” you learned lately and I’ll pick the 10 winners tomorrow night.

Hope you had a wonderful weekend and got to spend some quality time with your family.

Comments

Straw cleaning tip: use a skewer and a small piece of paper towel. You can push the paper towel through the straw with the skewer and get all the nasties out :) Works like a charm.

Sherry says:

For mothers day we hung out in our beautiful backyard all afternoon and grilled out. It was so relaxing and exactly how I wanted to celebrate mothers day.

I learned that your kids don’t care if your hair is done nicely, if you shaved your legs that day, if you worked out or not, or how much work you got done or still need to do. They just want to know you love them, are proud of them, and that they matter to you. All they really want is your love, affection, and quality time. My children are such great teachers. This mothers day I really stopped worrying about the little things that I didn’t get done that day and just ENJOYED my time with my husband and 4 children. I need to stop and smell the roses more often. I read a quote somewhere recently and it said: “The days are long but the years go by fast.” This is so true.

Rhonda says:

This weekend I learned that my husband views me a skinnier than I actually am. :) I learned this because I had to return the running clothes I got for Mommy’s Day and pick them out again in my actual size.

Wow, this day seems amazing! I am glad you had a wonderful mother’s day that was well deserved. I watched a movie with a friend cause i was definitely missing my mom who was too far away, a good laugh soothes everything!

I just learned that I need one of those sandwich makers! And I made a quinoa dish for my family at our mother’s day dinner last night and surprised my mother – she liked it! haha

My parents flew down the previous weekend for my college graduation and stayed the whole week – they flew back Saturday but we celebrated before they went back! It was great.

We spent the weekend with my mother-in-law. It was a nice family weekend. I’m glad you got some family time in. I am having one of those non-made up gym clothes days myself today. I hate changing back and forth between o tufts, but I’m going to change briefly into jeans to run over to the school for a second so I don’t completely embarrass my 11 year old. Hopefully he will appreciate the sacrifices I make for him later…

I hope you have a great week!

I’m sure he appreciated it. That’s a pretty good sacrifice if you ask me. I’m lucky if I put on a hat to cover up this mess. :) Glad you had a good family weekend!

Sandy Carlos says:

Hi Kristin,
    …and a double Happy Mother’s Day to you! My mother’s day???…..well, Hugs, Kisses, Roses, a Ballonn, jewelry, a delicious Bruch, (here’s where it gets good) vomitting, cramps, diahrea! Off to bed….. that was my Mother’s Day……..haha

I learned that I do NOT have a stomach of steel and that 3 days of lots of meat a wine – while delicious – can hurt a bit. :)

Baked broccoli slaw for dinner tonight!!!

Wonderful lessons – and I’m kind of wishing I hand’t gotten rid of my old sandwich press machine. I got to spend Saturday afternoon with my mom – eating and shopping. It was perfect.

Something fun about my Mother’s Day was getting froyo at Yogurt Mountain with my mom- it was free for moms so we definitely couldn’t pass it up! :D

Shaunna Ulrick says:

My mothers day was awesome. and a lesson? Love your mama!

Beth Petrassi says:

Just quickly before I have to run off – . I am getting some tiny bottle brushes that will clean the inside of the glass straw… I will get you one. In the meantime, just super saturate water with Kosher salt so that there are still visible salt crystals, put some of the solution into the straw and put a finger over both ends of the straw, shake vigorously – the salt crystals should scour the inside of the straw to remove residue. Rinse well – . I will see you tonight. Great post!!

Thanks for the suggestion. My straw was still in one piece when I got home- thank goodness. :)

• Beth Petrassi says:

While I wait for the Hubbie to get my industrial pipe cleaners for our straws – that might take a while – you could use a crafting pipe cleaner to try to scrub inside the straw. I am glad yours survived… It is amazing to me how possessive I am with some of my stuff. My son did get me a really long, twisted handle teaspoon for Mother’s Day and said, “Don’t worry, I won’t use it.” I didn’t even know that he was aware of “My Stuff” vs. “Not My Stuff” Ha!! As I am getting more comfortable with my “health- ier” eating, I am becoming more possessive of my food tools.

• STUFT Mama says:

I am so possessive of my foodie things it’s not even funny. I can’t help it. I told Andrew it’s not my fault and that I can’t control it. :)

I will never get tired of you talking about broccoli slaw OR your breakfast sandwiches. I love them both just as much as you do so carry on! haha.

I am thankful that I was able to drive home and spend Mothers Day with my mom. We went to church, grilled out for dinner, and watched the season finale of Desperate Housewives. Happy campers. :)

Kristi- your Mother’s day sounds like it was great. Thanks for saying you never tire of my pictures either because as much as I say I’m not going to show them I can’t help myself. :) Oh.. Desperate Housewives. I miss that show. I haven’t watched it in years.

Happy (belated) mother’s day!! I’ll look at your feet pictures as my present to you!

So I just recently switched to those egg whites as well. What is with us?
    You are so funny. I think you could write humor if you wanted a 67th career or whatever you are up to now ;)
    I know you don’t have a lot of time to blog hop but I have a gluten AND dairy free giveaway happening so you better get in on that. It’s going through Friday so no rush :)

It looks like you had a wonderful mother’s day & you deserve it! :) We went painting this weekend, which was pretty darn fun!

Glass straw cleaning – I use a small bottle brush leftover from when my kids used bottles. Hits all the little crevices.

Happy Mother’s Day to you! We had brunch and went to the beach. It was a great day!

Sounds like such a wonderful day! I love eggs and jelly together :D I spent time with my mom and we went to the beach!

Kari says:

I have never tried Sunflower seed butter – would love to give it a try. I hear a lot of good things about it! I usually just buy the Naturally More at Costco or Sams Club; it’s hard to pass up the good price!

Lisa says:

Oh my gosh, I laughed out loud when you said you cook your egg whites in the micro for 3:33, because I cook mine for 3:27! Everyday, no joke. Too funny. I love odd numbers, can’t even set my alarm for 6:00, has to be 6:01 or 6:03. Yes, I’m weird ;) I love all your food, so you won’t bore me with it!

Lisa- awesome. I got it from my husband. Its’ either 2:22. 3:33, 4:44, etc. Weird. Odd numbers? That’s weird too. :) What time did you wake up today? 6:01???? he he.

Anna W. says:

For mother’s day, my dad, bro, husband and I made mom some delicious fish tacos and a peach/blueberry crisp. Mom didn’t have to lift a finger :)

Can’t believe i STILL haven’t tried SunButter! A coupon would be awesome!

P. S. Not a bad cover-up job on that missing toenail ;) I’ve done the same thing more than once.

Anna- you need to try SunButter. :) It’s pretty danr fantastic. Nice that you spoiled your mom for Mother’s day. I hope you got to be spoiled a bit too. :)

Megan S. says:

Although I wasn’t with my own mom, I was able to go see my boyfriend and his family this weekend. Long story short, my boyfriend lives overseas for about 9 months out of the year and got home this past week–so I was very excited!

i’m glad you had a great mother’s day!! you definitely deserved it. :) we didn’t do much for mother’s day other than lounge around because my husband’s and my mamas are in arizona. we called them and tried our best to make them feel extra special by sending them a card and flowers.

i still need to try that egg + jam combo… looks great! except i am definitely using a whole egg. i love the yolk!

Christen F says:

All I can say is after not seeing my mom for 6 months, it was the best thing ever being able to come home to her on Mother’s Day and see her smile :)

Bridget B says:

I was inspired by your broccoli slaw use and added it to a stir fry on Saturday, as well as a salad today. It was great. For mother’s day, I made my mom a dinner including Trader Joe’s apple chicken sausage, rice with veggies and a fresh salad. It was a nice meal for our family. I also have always wanted to try Sunbutter, but have been too uncertain in the past due to pricing.

That dinner sounds amazing. And broccoli slaw- well, you can do just about anything with that stuff. :) Mmm…… SunButter yes- if you have a Target close by they have the best prices there. :)

Stephanie says:

I have learned that people just want to be heard. Everyone has a story to tell.

Something fun….I got my family to run a 5K (my impromptu~free~b/c its Mother’s Day and MOM wants to!!) Sunday morning. And after a few negative comments and whines about “how they were so tired” and that “they didn’t really feel up to running”……they came and all said they enjoyed themselves when they were done! HA! See mom’s still know what is best! hA! ;-)

(It was really fun too when another female runner jogged by our family and said, “Oh, are you guys all together? (we said yes…) and she replied, “that is my dream, to run with my family….but they refuse” ;-)

I was thinking if only she knew the opposition I faced about 30 minutes ago. HA!

Never tried Sunbutter…have you tried Biscoff? If so, what do you think? Just curious….

Kathy- that is AWESOME that you got the whole family to run. :) That’s my dream someday too. I bet we’d go through the same “before” as you did. Ha.
      I haven’t tried Biscoff, but I’ve had the Trader Joe’s cookie butter which I think is pretty similar. I liked it, but didn’t love it or anything and prefer my “spreads” to have some protein like most nut butters. :) What about you?

Jenn says:

You know I’ve always enjoyed your feet, so pictures don’t gross me out, but make me feel nostalgic about the “old days”. Love you!

Carrie bunns says:

My mothers day was awesome !! I got a new speed blender so I can make your great mocha lattes !!

Miz says:

I learned unplugging for a few days does NOT end the world…

Becky Przy says:

It looks like you had a wonderful Mothers day Kristen! What sweet boys;-)

I learned that that getting dirty is fun (we spent the weekend outside playing). Letting go of the small stuff makes me more fun (and pleasant to be around). Cutting back on workouts means I get to spend more time w/the people I love….(it always pays to see the positive in hard situations rather than focusing on the negative.)

Becky- yay- getting dirty IS fun! And… yes letting go of the small stuff is hard, but makes me a better person to be around also. :) Glad you got a chance to do it! Hang in there.

Meagan says:

For Mother’s Day we had a brunch at my sisters! I made two different types of baked French toast! We spent the day outside! It was so much fun playing with my niece and nephew!

I learned that indulging in a big meal (app, meal, dessert–the whole shebang) once in a while really won’t hurt me in the end–it’s actually slightly comforting to do once in a great while!

Stacey says:

I spent Mothers Day grilling out and laughing with my mom!

Jen says:

I have been wanting to try Sun butter forever!
    I spent my mothers day morning with my toddler. The rest of the day was spent hanging out with cousins, aunties, uncles and grandmas :)

Sandra says:

Yum!! Had one this a.m. It was delicious!

Kimberly says:

So I am reading through, loving the pictures, especially the food =) and say to myself, “hey, that looks like MY Favorite bread…” so I click over to the favorite bread link and read that post and hey! it is my favorite bread! I LOL’d and had to share. You have some great recipes and looks like you eat a lot of the same kinds of things I like too. What a fun blog!

Yay! Isn’t that bread the best? :) Love it!

• Kimberly says:

It totally is! I swear some days I just want to eat that toasted with a little peanut butter. Your SunButter Banana French Toast recipe looks awesome too by the way. I will definitely be trying that one this week sometime and if it is as delish as it looks, I think it will be our Christmas breakfast this year.

1. [...] Mamma’s Sweet Treat Breakfast Sandwich with grape jelly and ezekial [...]

2. [...] quickly unwrapped and cleaned it ready for action! I read Stuft Mama’s blog religiously. I neither have nor want children, but there is something else that resonates with me [...]

3. [...] to make a run to the grocery store. So, imagine my excitement when I read about Kristin‘s breakfast STUFTwich. Not only did it look delicious, but I had all the ingredients on hand! My first Breakfast [...]

4. Beavis says:

[...] now if I want to have time to scarf down my breakfast STUFTwich  and actually get dressed for boot camp I have to [...]

5. [...] I better not get sick of my egg whites anytime soon. I have a feeling I’ll be making a lot of breakfast STUFTwiches and just a few high protein dark chocolate [...]

6. [...] A monster breakfast STUFTwich. [...]

7. [...] Kristen’s ”Stuft”which – I do mine on P28 Protein Bread with sugar-free strawberry jam… sometimes I add a little Diaya and spinach.  It’s the jam.  ;) [...]

8. [...] the past few months I’ve been eating the same breakfast pretty much every single day. Yep. Either Mama’s breakfast STUFTwich or my new personal favorite the cinnamon sugar breakfast [...]

9. [...] A SunButter and jelly sandwich and a mocha smoothie with some egg whites in the mix for protein. I’ve been doing that a lot lately if I don’t have time for my breakfast STUFTwich. [...]

10. [...] After a quick 2 mile walk, I enjoyed a Stuft Mama-inspired sandwich: [...]

11. [...] that you care, but I scarfed down a Flatout version of the breakfast STUFTwich in the [...]

12. [...] I took it to a whole new level without any egg whites since I had already had a breakfast STUFTwich for [...]

13. [...] breakfast STUFTwich returned. Actually, the cinnamon sugar breakfast STUFTwich to be [...]

14. [...] froze all the leftover pancakes for some easy breakfasts next week and whipped up a quick breakfast STUFTwich for myself before my [...]

15. [...] gym was gourmet green pancakes for the boys freshly defrosted from the freezer and a lovely looking breakfast STUFTwich for [...]

16. [...] And I turned it into one heck of a grain free breakfast STUFTwich. [...]

17. [...] made my new microwave English muffin the other day for my breakfast STUFTwich. I was in a rush and forgot the light [...]

18. [...] like the idea of a little sweet protein flatbread cookie. It might be good to do some breakfast STUFTwich experiments with. [...]

19. [...] remembered how much I really love my sandwich maker and how much better my breakfast STUFTwich is when I make it in [...]

20. [...] I did however make a new version on the microwave English muffin yesterday using some psyllium husk in the batter and making two flat ones instead of one big one to make this cool cinnamon sugar breakfast STUFTwich. [...]

21. [...] want to have this new version of my breakfast STUFTwich every day this [...]