The San Francisco Wipro Marathon Race Recap

Well friends…….

We’re home, we’re tired, we’re recovering from our trip, we’re out of money, the boys have been cranky, Judah was up at 5:30 am this morning, I can’t stop eating and Kitty is being a pill.

It’s good to be home.

Life is funny, isn’t it?

Today is also our official wedding anniversary (8 years) although we’re not planning on doing anything since we lived it up enough in good old San Francisco this past weekend. Holy cow that is one fun and exciting city (not to mention expensive). I’ll fill you in on all the fun and eats later, but for now I’ll just recap the race. It’s a long one friends.

Ready?

This was my first time ever traveling to a race. I really didn’t plan well and didn’t bring a lot of my pre race materials, but things seemed to work out. Life does that though, right? You just do what you can with what you have.

The night before after eating an entire pizza at Patxi’s (yes, an entire cheese less whole wheat veggie pizza- more on that in a different post) I got my race outfit ready. I didn’t realize it was going to be that chilly up there and people were talking about how cold and windy it was going over the Golden Gate Bridge, so I made a last minute decision to race in my new Pro Compression socks.

The outfit:

Handful Sports Bra

Aspire Tank

Lululemon run shorts

Halo sports hat

Pro Compression socks

Mizuno Elixirs

I also made some frantic calls to the front desk at 10:30 pm to ask what time Starbucks opened. Unfortunately, no matter how many times I asked, the guy kept telling me that Starbucks didn’t open until 6 am on Sundays. I told him it was a special occasion with the marathon and all, but he just didn’t seem to care. It was then that I realized I should’ve brought instant espresso, my favorite cocoa powder and some almond milk. I’m sure that would’ve traveled well, yes?

I was up at 4:45 am. STUFT Daddy slept through my commotion. I made two cups of cheap hotel coffee in the room and used a little hot water from the coffee maker to make a cup of Coach’s Oats. Thank goodness I put that in my bag. I at least got something right.

Like my “kitchen”?

Oh yes, look at the black coffee friends. I was desperate. It actually wasn’t too bad. Maybe it was the early morning hours though.

I headed to the starting line with my trash bag coat and my make shift breakfast of Coach’s Oats, a banana, chia seeds, a little PB2 and some peanut butter in a cup.

I got there just in time to watch some of the earlier waves start,

stuff my Handful sports bra with GU, stand in the long port a potty line so I could ditch my diaper (yeah, that’s right I wore one again),

take an unflattering picture of myself with my T. rex arm already in action

and jump over a barrier to barely make it to the tail end of my wave start.

Oh yeah, and I asked one nice lady to take one last picture of me. I’m sure she loved being bothered seconds before starting her marathon. I’m nice like that.

We were off.

I ran the first half of a mile in that darn trash bag. I think it was giving me some wind resistance so I ditched it pretty early.

My main goals for this race were to stop less than three times to use the port a potty (check out my San Diego Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon recap if you really want more details), not hurt myself so I would be a drag for the rest of the “racecation” and hopefully finish under 3:30.

The first mile or so was pretty crowded so I had to do a bit of weaving around some fine people. That comes with the territory though when you are at the back of your wave and when you’re in a wave with a pace slower than you usually run.

We ran by Fisherman’s Wharf, along the water, through a little park and then made our way towards the Golden Gate Bridge.

How cool was this? I just had to take a picture for you. It was so awesome seeing all the American flags lined up.

Then around mile 6 or so we were here.

Running over the Golden Gate Bridge was amazing (and cold).

From a racing stand point I did not particularly like this part. It was really crowded and narrow and I definitely didn’t make any friends trying to pass people, but the view and experience itself to run across the bridge were worth it. Plus I took advantage of the slower pace to take some action shots. Ha ha.

IMG_4096IMG_4097IMG_4099

The rest of the race went by relatively quickly. We were in Golden Gate Park for quite some time looping around and such. On more than one occasion I had to ask someone if I was going the right way. The course was well marked, but there was a lot of looping and some half marathoners finishing and some starting so there was a lot going on. I guess it would’ve been helpful if I checked out the race course ahead of time. I really need to start doing that.

I also had to stop and ask a stranger to open my GU gels chomps for me because my hands were too cold. Well, the nice man was of no help as his hands were too wet. Luckily, I found a security guard not too far off with gloves that saved the day and opened it for me.

Oh, and I saw another runner wearing the same Pro Compression socks as myself so I had to compliment him on his attire. Ha ha.

Some other random thoughts along the last 10 miles while my mind wandered:

Does Joaquin have a hearing problem or is he just a selective listener already at the young age of 2 1/2?

I can’t wait to find a Starbucks to get my favorite Starbucks drink immediately after the race.

Hey, my stomach is totally feeling fine. Coach’s Oats were a good call.

I wonder if Andrew has gotten up yet? Maybe he’s eating breakfast, drinking coffee and reading the paper? Must be rough.

I am so honored to be a FitFluential Ambassador and can’t wait to see what might be in store for the future. I have high hopes that I’m doing the right thing in life by writing this blog, racing and doing the whole fitness career thing although right now it’s a bit scary.

I am loving my Pro Compression socks and my legs are still feeling fine at mile 20. Woo hoo!

Hey, I haven’t had to stop at all yet to use the bathroom.

Is “Sexy Back” really playing for the third time on my playlist right now?

This Nike+ iPhone application that tells me my distance and pace is freaking awesome.

How the heck did I get so lucky to have this gift of running? And how did I get so lucky and blessed to have an amazing family and husband that support me in my craziness? God is good.

Before I knew it, I saw that beloved mile 24 marker. Oh man is it so much more fun to see that one rather than mile 1. Ha ha.

We ran around the ball park and finished at the same place we started in Embarcadero Plaza.

Wouldn’t you know I made it the whole race without a bathroom stop and finished under 3:30. Yay!

image

Hey look, I got 49th place out of 0 women. That’s sure something to brag about. Ha. I actually got 49th out of 2034 women overall. I’ll take it. I’ll also take a 7:51 pace. Yippee!!!!

First thing I do after finishing a race?

Ask some more strangers to take my picture of course.

Check out the cool little warmer things they were handing out. Definitely worth another picture.

I quickly found the freebies and took as many as I could hold. They had Panera scones

Zico coconut water and Jamba Juice samples.

I may or may not have asked for an extra bag so I could hoard as many goodies as possible.

Then my friends I found the most magnificent table.

Oh my chia goodness. This is the exact chia I use every single day that I got from GNC. Seriously I’m pretty sure I did a little chia dance when I saw this.

Of course I ran and introduced myself to my new best friend Tom who works with The Chia Company

and forced him to take a picture with me.

I had to chat him up as long as I could about my obsession with The Chia Company’s chia and how I use it all the time, how we use it as “sprinkles” at our house, how I made a cool pre race chia cocktail the previous night (click here to see that beauty), etc.

I really could’ve stayed and hung out with my new best friend and the cool chia shots all day, but supposedly STUFT Daddy was somewhere “in the area” so I decided to find my man. I did stock up though on as many of the little chia shot packs that I could. These are going to be in my bag at all times from now on for sure.

I made my way to find STUFT Daddy who was one smart cookie and brought a backpack. It was a good thing because I needed something to put all my goodies in.

Ha ha.

Love this guy.

We saw this cool boat

and I thought it was the perfect background to really capture my Mezamashii Moment.

Thank you Mizuno Elixir shoes for another #brilliantrun.

Each marathon finisher got a free beer at the finish line provided by Sierra Nevada.

I wasn’t quite ready for a beer (all I wanted was my favorite Starbucks drink) so I decided to give mine away to a fellow race finisher.

You’re welcome Brandon.

We did stock up though on a few Sierra Nevada bottle openers, carabineers and chap sticks.

Yeah, we scored.

Since I’m always freezing after a race, the only thing Andrew was in charge of (besides eating breakfast and meeting me at the finish line) was to bring my favorite Lorna Jane shirt. He pulled through for me.

I wanted to not only be sweaty and gross, but fashionable after the race also.

Hey, it even matched the medal. Nice touch.

And then my friends, I got what I had been dreaming about since mile 10 or so.

I got my Starbucks. My drink of all drinks.

It was the perfect ending to the perfect race.

Thank you to Safeway Select Refreshe for the entry to The San Francisco Wipro Marathon. It was an amazing race. I had a blast and I will be back for sure.

Comments

lindsay says:

you are amazing! that’s so solid speed and impressive camera holding! hehe. Congrats!

Jen says:

Sounds like an amazing day!!!! Congrats on the spectacular finish time!!! (btw I’m a longtime reader,first time poster!!! Lol)

That’s some loot you walked away with. And seriously, only you can take pictures while running a marathon AND PRing. You rock!

I love the big smile on your face for all your pics. You truly love running and it shows. GREAT JOB on running and cleaning house on all the freebies!!! :)

You are SO Stinking CUTE! But, I am sure STUfT Daddy tells you that all the time and I am not being weird or any thing. Great Run….love all the goodies you grabbed after….giving up your beer ticket to Brandon (ha!)….and the Chia guy?! How, much more fun can one girl have?

Have a good one!

Brittany says:

First of all, happy anniversary! And second, nice PR and congrats! I only hope to run as long as you do someday hehe. :)

You inspire me SO much! What a cool anniversary present with that incredible PR. And I bet the SF hills didn’t make that easy at all. Amazing!

Jessica Jones says:

Happy Anniversary you two!:)

Christine says:

Nice… no… Awesome Job Kristin. That’s a Stellar Time!

Ahh you just keep making me get the marathon itch!! : ) You did such an amazing job, Kristin! Congratulations on the (fantastic) PR and Happy Anniversary!

I can’t believe you never peed! And I’m so happy for your stomach! You ARE doing the right thing with all this blogging and running stuff ;) It’s so obvious this is what you were meant to do!

That is such an AMAZING time! You blew me away. My goal in life is to one day run a race in San Fran. Stupid, stupid knee of mine… imma get there though!

Oh, and I can all but guarantee you that Joaquin is suffering from selective hearing. I did the same thing. Probably still do. ;)

Linda says:

What a fantastic time!! WOW! And all the goodies you grabbed…love it! Your blog is great and you are definitely where you should be. Living the life you love and motivating and inspiring others along the way.
    You are making me more and more excited about MCM in October! And I feel like I learn so much from you. Tell me about those compression socks…..I have UA compression tights that I wear in the colder months. Will the socks make a big difference?

I feel like they help with calf cramping and such. Everyone is different though. I never really get that sore, so I’m not sure HOW much of a difference they make, but my legs felt better this race than any other race and it might be because of those socks. :)

Lisa says:

YOu did SO amazing!! I am seriously impressed. And Happy Anniversary!!!!!

great job Kristin!!! You are such an inspiration!

Jamie in Arkansas says:

Dang girl. You are CRAZY FAST!! I can’t hold that pace for any longer than a 5K! I can’t even imagine doing it for 26.2. You’re awesome. End of story.

You are my hero. Such an amazing time! Congrats!

Congrats!!! That’s such an awesome time! Haha I highly doubt that I’ll be thinking “it flew by!” during my first marathon this October! And I’m a fifluential ambassador now too! So excited!

Josephine says:

1st a BIG congrats!!!! 2nd OMG what an awesome race, packed of chia seeds? very impressive… I will do this race next year.

Carole S. says:

I spent a lot of the weekend thinking about you in SF running the marathon and sending good vibes your way. I am so happy that all your wishing and hoping and planning and doing paid off with a great finish of a great race. Even STUFT Daddy looks mighty impressed by the Mrs! Thank you for taking us on your journey. It was so much fun!

Amazing!! Congrats again on your shiny new pr and awesome race! I love all the pictures… before, during and after. So fun. Hope you’re able to recover this week and that the boys sleep past 5:30am tomorrow!

YAY! Great job. I’m glad you didn’t have to stop to pee. That is always my fear. I could never run a marathon in this time. I want to do another one but my goal time is more like 4:30.

Good luck with recovery!!

The shots going over the SF bridge are awesome and I love your random thoughts while running….sounds like me. You did GREAT….49th, that is really something to be proud of!!!!! Panera scones….how come I’ve never been so lucky?!? LOVE the post!!

Amy says:

congrats!! you pretty much dominated the race thats awesome!! did u qualify for boston? im thinkin..yes?

Another amazing race! Seriously woman – is there anything you can’t do?! ;) I’ve never been to San Fran but I think it would be so cool to run the Golden Gate Bridge!

Paulette says:

Great job and fantastic finish time! I ran the first half starting from wave 3, and I didn’t have the crowding issues even on the bridge. I started in Wave 7 back in 2009 and it was SO crowded and I was bumping people trying to pass. Interesting how the wave you start in can change things so much. Looks like you enjoyed SF, love the photos! I loved the American flag line up too.

Holy moley, you are one ripped mama! Seriously, I would pay money for your shoulders & arms ;)

CONGRATS on the amazing time! So glad you had a great time & got to spend some quality time with the hubs afterward!

Ashley says:

Congratulations on an amazing race! I love all of the gear you ran in! To top it all off it seems like you had such a great time in SF with your family! Happy Anniversary! You deserve some relaxation after that stellar performance!!!

Amy Zirkle says:

YOU GO GIRL! Congratulations!

Happy Anniversary! I love that smile on your face! It makes me so happy to see you so happy! I’m so happy for you and that your race went so well! You are such an inspiration! Enjoy your men today and good ol reality! xoxo

oh and love that shirt! so cute!

Bethp262 says:

Congrats on your PR!!! Brilliant run! :)
    I also dream about coffee towards the end of marathons! :)

Oh my goodness I LOVE this post! I love your thoughts while you were running!! And you poor thing freezing to death! :)
    I love running in Golden Gate Park- especially on the days where they close it to traffic … the people watching is amazing and it’s like another world. I’m not quite sure it’s exactly the same with a marathon running through though.
    They gave away some GOOD STUFF at the end of that race- from the scones to the CHIA and the GOOD beer! Wow!
    And DAAAUUUUMMMMN look at those guns in the photo of you with the beer gift-ee. Wowza!

They totally gave away some good stuff at the end of the race. Next time I’ll rung with a trash bag in my shirt so I can really stock up. LOL.

Love the recap, so inspiring and I’m jealous of your fitness ability. You are so inspiring this post has me confident that I can and will sign up for my first half marathon and training starts tomorrow! I’m excited, thanks :) I’ve never ran an organized race, for my first I just want to obviously finish and run for fun, but the thing I’m most worried about is how everything works?? Totally lost, I kind of understand the wave thing, do you have any old posts that talks about the silly details besides the actual running part? And what would you say is the most important gear to invest in? Besides shoes, since I have my awesome mizunos now!

It depends on the distance about things you need. Hat, belt, etc. Not sure if I ever talk about all the other stuff in a different post. I would start with a small race. They are usually very easy to figure out everything and a good introduction into racing. :) Find a local smaller one. Did you already sign up?

Elena says:

Nice Job Kristin!!!!!! Woo hoo on the GREAT time and PR! Awesome loot haul as well :) I’d love to do that race someday.

I have 3 pair of the pro compression socks and LOVE them. Not sure if they help when running but I wear them anyway. I also sleep in them and compression sorts the night before a long run. I’m sure my husband appreciates my choice of sleepwear – ha ha!

You are an inspiration so regarding the whole thought of “am I doing the right thing with this blog, fitness career, etc” – the answer is YES! In my opinion anyways :) Keep up the FANTASTIC and INSPIRING work!!!! Whenever I need a kick in the pants I visit you and then get moving!

Becca says:

You are just so amazing and inspiring! :)

Great job this weekend and happy anniversary!

Happy Anniversary!!
    congrats on your run…and yay for chia

Unreal! You are simple unreal! That time and just how relaxed you were through the whole process, so impressed. Congratulations! it sounds like it was really fun.

LOVE this recap! How awesome to get to run across the Golden Gate, but I can imagine the cold. I went to SF for the first time last summer and couldn’t believe the difference in temp on the bridge compared with everywhere else. I absolutely love San Francisco and I can’t wait until Foodbuzz so I can see it again…totally thinking about extending my stay into the following week just so I can soak in as much as I can before heading back to boring ol’ Tennessee!

You’re random thoughts were awesome! I can’t believe you didn’t stop to pee! Lol Congrats on the race…and heck yeah to that pace Miss Speedy!! Woot!

Heather- Yes, next time you’re in SF you have to stay a little longer. Isn’t it such a fun place? I need to save up some money so I can go back. Ha ha. Hope you’re having a great weekend in Tennessee! (I’ve actually been there before and loved it!)

Debbie says:

Enjoyed the recap! I also love chia, black Pro Compression socks (Hot pink coming in the mail soon!), coffee (crave it after events) and of course running. You’re my inspiration!

Janet says:

WOW!!! Congratulations!!! The BEST post YET!
    WAY TO GO!!!!!!!

You are amazing and made my eyes tear up just reading through your wonderful morning! SO wonderful and the best part was being with your hubby at the end!

You are such an inspiration – I love your honesty and how you are just plain funny!
    Welcome HOME!!!

Janet- thank you for such a sweet, sweet comment. And for reading about all my selfish nonsense. :) I want to give you a big giant cyber hug right now. :)

I thought I had already commented! Sorry! Happy Anni and wow! You certainly have a gift for running so so so impressive!

Congratulations! I love reading your recap. And I can’t believe you can manage to take pictures while running! I’m definitely not that skilled :-) My mom lives by the marathon finish and she called me that day to say, “Oh my gosh! There are so many people outside of my apartment building! I think they just finish a race or something.” My mom’s a perceptive one.

Happy Anniversary and glad to hear you had a great time in SF!

anneliesz says:

This is all sorts of awesome Kristen. I love that your race took you to run on the Golden Gate bridge itself. Very cool!

ahhhh, so much fun. I have never showed up to that race on time. LOL. Glad you had fun and love that you rocked a Mizuno shot with the bridge in the background. So that last 2 miles that you ran is where I do my lunch runs. Ballpark to the Ferry Building. Now you have a visual of what I’m looking at.

SkinnyRunner says:

just catching up on blog reading, congrats, speedy, you killed it!

1. [...] We weren’t planning on doing anything, since we just lived it up in San Francisco all weekend for the marathon. We had a change of heart later in the day and went out as a [...]

2. [...] you missed the race talk, I wrote an entire San Francisco Marathon recap post the other day. It was an amazing [...]

3. [...] since it’s been a week since I ran The San Francisco Marathon I figure it’s time to show you the [...]

4. [...] forgot I had stocked up on all these chia shots from the San Francisco Marathon the other [...]

5. [...] it’s been a little while since I did a chia giveaway with some leftover chia shots I got from the San Francisco marathon I thought it was time for [...]

6. [...] I fell in love with Lorna Jane clothes when I came across them at the IDEA Fitness convention back in July. I couldn’t help but buy a new outfit back then. It might just be my favorite outfit and I might have worn it to the airport on our trip to the San Francisco Marathon. [...]

7. [...] got me a PR at the San Francisco Marathon a couple of months [...]

8. [...] finally meeting Brian in person. He’s pretty much the reason I was able to get a free entry into the San Francisco Marathon back in July. I owe this [...]

9. [...] looking into trying to get to San Luis Obispo Marathon, San Diego Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon and The San Francisco Marathon, but I’m not sure I can swing the expenses. If you happen to have any connections or anything, [...]

10. [...] I’m supposed to race the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Sunday and then race the San Francisco Marathon 2 weeks after that. Whelp, I’m not doing either. I’m starting to learn how to cancel [...]

11. [...] Daddy and I were actually supposed to be in San Francisco this weekend so I could run the San Francisco Marathon again. I had to keep busy all weekend to try to block it out. That would be my 5th marathon I’ve [...]

12. [...] but since I was just in Seattle, it was too much. I don’t really have anything planned until The San Francisco Marathon at the end of [...]

13. [...] a little late in posting as now The San Francisco Marathon is actually less than 20 hours away, but I thought we could chat about what to do before a [...]

14. [...] entry to The San Francisco Marathon was sponsored by CLEAR Me so I made sure to stop and thank them in person [...]

15. [...] The San Francisco Marathon started at 5:30 am so it was an early morning. There were different wave starts and I was in wave 2 with a start time of 5:35 am. [...]

16. [...] The San Francisco Marathon 2012. My first race ever running with compression socks by default because it was so cold. My life was forever changed. [...]

17. [...] “Fitspiration” this week = Kristin of Stuft Mama. She PR’d at the San Francisco Marathon last weekend with an insanely impressive time. And even more insanely impressive [...]