Baking in the Heat- Maple Cake and Green Muffins

Um, yeah. Baking is not my favorite thing to do in the summer. I’d rather be sweating it out at the gym than in the freaking kitchen. However, when you’re up at 5:30 am with one of your toddlers insisting he wants to cuddle, and his form of early morning “cuddling” is continuously kicking you in the crotch, sometimes you just need to get up and find a little something to do.

*Edit- This morning didn’t just start out with the early morning “cuddling”, but also with some lovely Kitty  barf beside the bed. I’m so lucky.

So…. we’ve been baking.

We’ve also been making random new green drinks. I made a drink yesterday morning because 6 am was too early for my café americano, but I needed a little something. I came up with this weird green thing.

I don’t know where I come up with some of these things, but I had the bright idea to add a little cayenne to my green juice (I guess I thought that’s what some of the cool people do). It actually wasn’t too bad, except that I think I added a bit too much and was feeling a little heartburn shortly afterwards at the gym.

Here’s what went in the mix.

Early Morning Green Heat Juice

handful of kale

handful of spinach

1 Good Earth Green Tea Ginseng Citrus packet (brewed with 1/4 cup water)

1 CocoaVia Summer Citrus packet

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

sprinkle of cayenne powder

1 cup cold water

1 cup crushed ice

All mixed together in my vita. It was interesting. I may try the same thing again without all the greens, just the juice. We’ll see.

Oh, and yeah I was still sporting my Pro Compression socks from the night before.

And heck yeah I wore them later in the day to the gym to teach my BOSU class.

Heck yeah, BOSU stands for “Both Sides Utilized”.

Choose a side, any side.

I chose not to tell everyone in my class that I had slept in the socks and was going on 17 hours of continuous wear. The less they know, the better right? It’s a good thing they probably don’t read the blog.

Ha ha.

Other working it out for the day included a backyard boot camp in the afternoon and a quick 4 miles on the treadmill at home before dinner while watching Married to Jonas. Quality TV.

So since my iPhone is officially out of camera space and I may not be taking pictures until I delete the bazillion pictures of roasted broccoli slaw, roasted zucchini noodles and low calorie ice cream I have sitting on there, I thought I’d show you some random pictures from our day yesterday.

I know, right? Exactly what you were hoping for.

I tried to teach the boys a few things in the kitchen this morning like how we cut and store our romaine lettuce.

They got distracted pretty easily.

Then they Judah helped make some almond coconut ice cream cubes.

I really wish this guy could just prep this ice cream for me every day. Well, that and do my morning coffee routine instead of kicking me in the crotch while I’m trying to get a few extra minutes of sleep. How many more years until that happens?

I also made the ugliest cinnamon sugar breakfast STUFTwich ever.

Oh, but it was so good.

Later at the gym the boys insisted on going in the spin room and getting on mommy’s special bike.

Judah even told me he wanted to take a picture on the bike.

Of course he did. He was also pretending to take pictures of his green muffins earlier in the day for breakfast. Hmm…..I wonder where he got that?

Back at the home front the boys did a little kissing up to our friendly neighbor.

Their little charm worked and I got hooked up with some fresh garden habaneros.

Good work kids.

Dinner last night wasn’t anything exciting, but we did manage to sit down together which doesn’t happen that often.

The boys really like roasted zucchini noodles,

but usually have to dip them in a little light ranch dressing. They also prefer to eat salad with their hands. Go figure.

The main course for them was some homemade pizzas on Trader Joe’s flatbreads.

Dang I’m so gourmet.

I had a big mix of roasted veggies and a cheese less sandwich. It’s not as easy to take pictures when you’re trying to keep these guys focused on dinner though. Ha ha. I managed to snap just a couple.

And well….. dessert was this.

Um yeah.

When I’m not eating Vitatops for dessert, I’m making this fat free maple cake.

It was inspired by these maple donuts by the magnificent Mama Pea.

Here’s my big maple donut cake type thing.

I like to use this little cute pan.

My cake turns out like this.

Sometimes I keep it upside down like this and start some “layers”. Sometimes I turn it over and try to make it look pretty.

Frosting options:

Coconut Maple Frosting

(pictured above)

1 tablespoon (7 grams) coconut flour (more if needed)

1/4 cup sugar or granulated sugar substitute (I use granulated Splenda for a sugar free version)

1/8 teaspoon maple extract

1 teaspoon maple syrup (regular or sugar free)

1/2 teaspoon softened light butter spread (optional)

3 tablespoons nondairy milk of choice

Or I top if with a version of low calorie peanut butter frosting with a touch of maple extract added in the mix.

Yep. That’s my favorite.

And since I’m not really planning on baking in the heat again any time soon I better give you the recipe for these new green muffins too.

Here’s a new version of Green Gobblin’ Muffins using multigrain pancake mix inspired by this Coach’s STUFT Banana Bake. I like using pancake mix for baking when I don’t have a lot of time. It makes it a little easier since you don’t really have to add a lot to the mix. If you use really ripe bananas you don’t need any additional sweetener either which is nice.

Yep. Toddler approved.

Mama approved.

If you get a chance check out my feature on the FitSugar website today! There’s IMPORTANT details about a Pinspiration Contest on Pinterest and how you can win a trip for a girl’s weekend to NY!!!!! How awesome is that?

Meet Kristin: Sponsored Guest Blogger and Reebok Fan

I’m going to try to do a few more workout videos and focus more on some fitness in the next couple of weeks. Let me know if you have any requests.

Happy Wednesday friends!

Comments

Michelle says:

The boys are really getting that ‘little boy’ look. Somewhere they start to lose the baby faces :) They are just too cute, and trust me…that cuteness is what saves their lives! HA! Now…it is crotch kicking. One day…sassy teenage mouth. Believe me when I tell you, always sneak into their room at night, no matter how old they are, and peek at those sweet faces! You will need to recall those images to keep from selling them at the Swap meet! ;)
    Fun recipes, as always!
    If cayenne is cool…then I am cool, as well!
    I like a bit of it in lemonade! Yum! (Maybe I am weird…whatever!)
    Thanks for the smiles…oh, and I have to find a pic of my cat. I swear, Kitty is the hairless cousin to my Solomon! LOL…

Michelle- Thanks for the reminder to sneak in and stare at my sweet babies. I have not been the most patient person as of late, so I need to do more of that.
      Cayenne goes in anything doesn’t it? I like the idea in lemonade. You are cool!!! :)

Erica says:

You always make the most amazing mini desserts! I’m afraid if I tried to copy them and make my own it would be a quick downward slope into eating 2-3 a day!

Oh Erica- I would have a lot of time if I didn’t create all these things. ha ha. And….. there is nothing mini about my desserts. Ha. They always end up ginormous.

lindsay says:

can i hire your kids as my morning baristas? I’ll pay in healthy bites.
    xxoo

Love doughnuts! This is a must-try. I have yet to try adding apple cider-vinegar to my green smoothies, do you find that the vinegar taste is over powering, or do you not taste it all that much?

Kristin OMG you’re so famous now. That feature is incredible and you’re the perfect person for it, I’m so happy for you! :)
    Your drink is hilariously random. I love cayenne though. And for some reason I will only buy that one from TJs because I think it tastes better. Also, that little pan! So cute.

Shucks- thanks Sara. Stop being so darn nice, will ya? Maybe one day I’ll actually make a little bit of money so I can afford extra expenses like that book I just ordered because of you. Ha. Speaking of, did you get your waffle maker yet?

You were the 2011 Y Fitness Instructor of the YEAR?!

Way to go ….Congratulations!!! Yes, a little late but better late than never. ;-)

Love all those recipes….I will be trying them for sure.

Regarding that exercise video…I was sore for days from the platypus walk thing..dang girl I found a muscle I didn’t know I had under that jiggle.

Leigh S. says:

Hi, Kristin. I’m a new reader (and mom and runner) who’s loving the site–and wanted to thank you for the humor and inspiration. Wish I’d found it years ago, because then I’d likely have been motivated to get up and get more active. (In mid-2011, I returned to my love of running after a many-year absence and doing other sports like martial arts and hiking.) I read the FIT SUGAR piece, too, and in addition to all the amazing things you do–your boys are adorable … twins, I can’t imagine! (mine are 2 1/2 and 4 1/2)–like Kathy above, I noticed the Y Fitness Instructor of the Year. A belated congratulations there, too! Looking forward to more on the BIC bands, too. I love seeing the expo stuff you get to take part in–the small races I do don’t have grandiose expos (read “running schwag shopping spree inducing”!), but I’m hoping to work my way toward my first half marathon next year. Anyway, thanks again for letting me blather on, as well as for a great blog and recipes, too! : ) Best, Leigh

Hi Leigh! Please feel free to blather anytime! It makes me feel better for subjecting you to my babbling on a daily basis. I never know if you want to see the expo stuff too, so thanks for saying that. Thanks so much for leaving such a wonderful comment. It made my night for sure. Are you kiddos both boys also?

• Leigh S. says:

Hey, Kristin. Thanks for writing the note back. Now that made my day! I actually have one of each kid–the eldest is a girl. Yep, for me, I do like seeing the expo stuff so I know just what’s out there. The nearest running store to me is about 25 miles away, and it’s very limited (it’s more so a cycling store, with a little running stuff on the side). The next nearest store that I know of is an hour away; needless to say, we don’t get there very often. Thanks again for what you do–how you hold it all together (children, hubby, job, marathon running, blogging, cooking!), I don’t know. But kudos, lady!

I love all of your awesome concoctions!!! Everything looks soo good :D

Jenny says:

Hey!! I am totally in to crazy summer drink. A girl can only drink soooo much water :) . Quick question….what are your fav Cocoavia flavors. I am going to order some asap.

krystal amanda says:

Hey Kristen, I was wondering if you take any kind of recovery drink or supplement to help you teach so many classes and continue working out without getting burnt out?

Krystal- I don’t, but I probably really should. I’m lucky because my body can handle a lot. I do drink Nuun on occasion, but other than that I pretty much refuel with food. And I drink tons of water!!!!

Ooh, the muffins look good! I’ll have to make those for my son, especially since he loves muffins (or any bread, for that matter!. It’s a great way to sneak in a few veggies; I love it! . I have a lot of zucchini and I have been looking for some different ways to cook it (instead of grilling or sauteing it), so I’ll have to give your zucchini noodle recipe a try, too! Thanks for sharing.

jennifer says:

FYI Coach’s Oats website is out of their multigrain pancake mix! I am not happy! And it is so hot here in the summer my hubby grills all my veggies outside. He refuses to let me cook inside in the summers.

Hey Kristin–for the muffins, I’d like to use real/whole eggs instead of egg substitute, so you have a guess as to how many eggs it would take to replace that 1 cup of substitute? thanks!

Lisa says:

Haha, I want to come babysit for you, the boys sound like riots! Then you and Stuftdaddy could have a fun night on the town:)
    I’m the same way with baking, for some reason I think I’m such a genius for trying out new recipes when its a bagillion degrees out. Nope, not smart at all.
    I love the BOSU! That’s my next item I really want to buy for my at home gym. I feel that and the sandbag is a need right now. I also would like to buy your arms for my gym so I can pound out more push-ups;)
    Awe the boys are too precious, I think they may just become future food bloggers ha ha.
    Okay, I need that donut cake in my life! That looks amazing.
    Off to check out your article!

Jessie says:

girl, your impressing me more & more each day. Look at you baking all these yummy treats, and cooking actual dinners. What has gotten into you??? haha :)

Ashley says:

Do you think I could substitute PB2 or protein powder for the coconut flour? I don’t have any coconut flour but want to try the donut :)

The layers really do make everything that much more special! The maple cake sounds so good! Add the ice cream and frosting…YUM! I hope you’re having a good week and feeling a bit more rested! Tony and I just finished up projects and now we are on decompression mode!

Samantha says:

That maple cake was pretty darn good. I did try the peanut butter frosting which I don’t know why I didn’t do that before…outstanding.

Tiffany says:

That crumble looks yummy, but what can i sub the coconut flour with? I don’t have any :(

Tracey says:

Where did you get that cute lil pan for your doughnut?

Yay! I have that same Spinning bike in my house too :) Although I teach so many damn Spin classes now that I never really get to use it. Guess I can’t complain about getting paid to “go for a ride…”

Amber Schaefer says:

Do you think these taste better than your low-fat banana muffins?

Tara Stewart says:

Any clue the nutrition facts on these multigrain green banana muffins? I’m OBSESSED!!

Tara Stewart says:

Hi! Need help! Making mini multigrain green banana muffins for my three year old twin’s class and I think I need to add some honey to recipe so kids eat them! How much honey should I add and do I put a mini muffin tray in for the same amount of time and the same temperature?? Thanks so much!

Eleana says:

What little pan did you use and where is it from I want to get one like that so bad!!

Eleana says:

Where did you get that little baking pan from?

1. [...] another reason why you might want to try this drink that has green tea in [...]

2. [...] this bad boy will be up soon, but just think sweet roasted kabocha squash, a new variation of the fat free donut cake and PB2 drizzle. Oh [...]

3. [...] Yesterday (and this morning) it was a protein version of the fat free donut cake. [...]