Messing Up the Flat Kitty Roast

Holy smokes. I just took a nap friends. A NAP!!!!

I had to. It wasn’t even an option. My body and brain just gave up this afternoon and made me rest.

It was glorious.

I made myself this homemade café Americano when I got up.

You like that bird doody on the railing? So professional.

Speaking of doody, this morning Joaquin ran away from me without his pants on and said he was going to go poo poo outside. I ignored him because I was busy getting Judah ready.

Well, the guy wasn’t kidding. STUFT Daddy found him squatting and doing his thing out front by the garage door.

Yep, that’s my kid.

Oh and I’m sure you don’t care, but this was my afternoon snack today.

Another stellar photo. I’m on a roll. My snack- summer surprise cookie dough dip, Flatout cinnamon crisps and an apple pear. That “frosting” is a mix of ice cream dream protein frosting  and low calorie peanut butter frosting (protein powder, PB2 and sugar free maple syrup).

I’m not sure how I feel about the apple pear. Tastes like a pear, but a bit crunchier like an apple. Not a huge fan. I think I’ll stick with my Fuji apples.

Oh look, at least I took a good picture of something though to post to Instagram.

Ha ha.

The Mess

So friends, I’m a bit of a mess lately. Not that I’m not always a mess, but more so lately. I’ve got a lot of things going on and recently made a pretty big career decision that has me all frazzled. I’m so not one to be able to make a decision and just go with it. I never have been. I always second guess myself and usually change my mind at least 3-4 times (lucky STUFT Daddy).

I usually have some races to distract me. Since I don’t have any coming up in the near future I’ve been stressing myself out about life stuff- what’s the right thing for me to do career wise for the family, how I need to be a better mom and wife, how I need to get my act together and get things organized, etc. You know, all that kind of fun stuff.

I won’t bore you with all my worries, but I will tell you that I have done more than my fair share of crying lately and confess that I’ve consumed way too much nut butter in the past week to avoid dealing with things. And I mean way too much nut butter.

Last night after my roasted kale salad, roasted brussel sprouts and tuna topped with “cheesy sauce”

this happened.

Let me just tell you there was quite a bit more than just a spoonful left in the jar (like way more than a spoonful) and I filled that baby up with two Vitatops, some frozen frosting and some almond coconut ice cream.

I’m still feeling it today. Ugh.

Oh and going for an early morning 10 mile run after eating way too much Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter the night before was not the best idea.

I was slow and wasn’t feeling great, but I kept thinking about this quote.

Source: facebook.com via Kristin on Pinterest

Isn’t that awesome? And so true? Love it.

You know what else I love? This Nike Plus GPS iPhone application.

And the fact that I have Kenny Loggins and Kelly Clarkson on my running playlist.

Ha ha.

So…….

I’m only a couple weeks late with this, but hopefully a couple pictures of Flat Kitty will make you smile.

Here you go.

The Flat Kitty Roast

Roasting with Friends.

Sara roasted up some cauliflower for the first time with a little help.

100_1884

She roasted hers with coconut oil, salt, pepper and fresh garlic. I’m going to have to copy her.

Sam went for the brussel sprouts. They don’t make the house smell bad at all or anything. Ha.

With our friend Michelle he got to roast slaw

ResizedImage_1344611042496 (2)

and carrots.

ResizedImage_1344611162459

Dang I need to try both of those. How have I not roasted regular slaw or carrots yet?

Hanging with friends.

With our friend Dawn up in Canada, Kitty didn’t quite get to roast, but he had a heck of a time going to day camp with his new cute friend.

photo

He even got treated to a movie and popcorn with these ladies. Lucky guy.

photo

Um, yeah, and with my friend Danielle Flat Kitty freaking got to hang with Buddha. Talk about awesome.

With our friend Susan, Flat Kitty got to go to the DCAC Fitness Convention and hang with the pros.

Mindy Mylrea (I hung with her at IDEA- she’s awesome), Abbie Appel

MindyAbbie

and Clay Grant.

Clay

Fun stuff and I’m sure he got a good workout.

Around our house, Flat Kitty has been hanging out and roasting anything and everything he can get his hands on. I always think about that movie quote from Meet the Fockers:

image

[source]

Random, I know, but I like to think you can roast (or burn) anything with, well, just anything I guess.

Mushrooms and broccoli slaw

Non dairy kale chips

(Tip- Burnt veggies are usually nothing a little basil and marinara can’t fix up and make edible.)

Costco sweet kale salad (Don’t mind the pen on the ear- Joaquin got ahold of Flat Kitty for a bit.)

Yeah. Yum. Oops- looks like I spilled a little something. LOL.

Well, that’s all I’ve got friends.

It’s time to enjoy the weekend.

I know you’ve seen this one before, but it makes me laugh even more now that Paige said my ghost chilies look like Kitty’s manboobs.

My chilies currently look like this right now though.

I wonder if they’re ready?

Enjoy your weekend with your loved ones friends! We’ll be living our summer priorities over here.

I’ll leave you with this.

Even if you’re just walking for 5-10 minutes or just going down the street and back and going very very slow, you’re doing something. You’re moving. Something is better than nothing and you’ll feel that much better for it.

Comments

lindsay says:

i say a good cry is always needed, and more ice cream and nut butter. Let those tears flow and prayers sing loud and clear. You need this! Your human. No one is perfect. But thank GOD for that, cause he is.

love you. Rest friend, rest. Rest in his LOVE.

Becca says:

Healthy Mind, Healthy Body, Healthy Spirit. I’m so sorry you’ve been stressed out and I do hope that you recover with rest and gain confidence in your decisions. Sometimes life is just hard and unfair, but I always go back to the saying, “God hasn’t given up on me and I wont give up on him.” He does indeed have all the answers. This week I’ve felt totally lost and I tend to cope by over eating and over exercising. Then I get mad at myself and feel like a failure. I actually just over ate and found myself looking at your blog . I honestly can’t keep nut butter in the house because ill eat an entire unopened jar in one setting lol. You always amaze me with your strong words, attitude, and strength. Remember you were given this life because you are strong enough to live it.

jennifer says:

Today I was super tired and dragging and I founx myself searching for junk food!! Then I thought about how you always say when you are tired is when you don’t make the best eating choices and I resisted.. and tried a new Starbucks refresher after lunch. Not bad.. hang in there! Get some rest and enjoy the weekend! Yea fir the nap! I take one daily when I am home!

Jessie says:

My prayers are with you right now sweetheart. We’re all faced with decisions in life where we aren’t sure which way to go, but 90% of the time you pick the right one. I’m almost certain you have, because you are such a smart and beautiful woman. Don’t ever worry about not being a good enough mom or wife. From reading your blog daily, you are the complete oppposite. Your full of energy, and happiness. Let your tears flow girl, they are needed from time to time :)

Brittany says:

Can I just say how seriously inspiring you are? Yeah, I’m pretty young myself but I think you should be darn proud of yourself for a number of things–you are a GREAT mom. It emanates from the hundreds of pictures you post of your (adorable) children and the guilt you feel when you don’t spend enough time with them. You make exercise a priority. You are teaching your kids to eat healthy (like your green monsters muffins!) You carve time out of your hectic schedule to make us all laugh with your amazing posts. You are an AWESOME person and if I only I could know you in real life! Stay strong. You got this. :)

I’m sorry you are going through a rough patch and I hope everything works out for you. The roasted carrots is a great idea. They look good. You are right about just getting off the couch and doing something. That’s what I always tell myself, when I really don’t feel like working out……I will feel better when this is done. Hope you have a great weekend!

Ina says:

Crying is good. it’s best to let it out so it doesn’t fester inside and create more angst. You are really hard on yourself. It is normal to feel the pressure of trying to juggle a happy career, spouse, kids and carving time out to do the things you love and must do in order to be in that happy place. Do not feel guilty about making your needs a priority….the challenge is always how to carve your “self” needs and weaving them into your day-to-day family life. I sense you are most thankful for your supportive hubby and love your boys to bits. Clearly they feel the same about you. You are on a down cycle….the best part of that is the UP is on the way!!!!! :-) )))))))

Dawn says:

Thanks Kristen for the shout out! Flat kitty is having all kinds of adventures up here in Canada! He is horrible at roasting veggies here! They burn! We will keep you posted on more adventures!

Susan says:

Wow,..this post just rings so familiar to me as I am facing some big decisions in my life as well. Lots of stress and finding ways to deal.. The running quote is great for me right now, because I am a slow runner and have been getting discouraged, so thank you for reminding me of the positive!!

Hang in there and know that you have helped so many of us out here, and everyone is here to help you too. You are definitely not alone!

Amy says:

Naps are glorious, aren’t they? :)

I’ve had some things weighing on my mind, too. Making big life decisions isn’t fun. But you have to have faith, and I’m sure whatever you’ve decided will work out for the best.

I’m a slow runner, and I really like that quote! I need to print that out and put it on my treadmill!

Ren says:

Change is scary, big life decisions are scary, definitely, but it sounds like you’re doing your best to approach it with a good mindset, which is something to be proud of for sure, and I definitely agree with that “something is better than nothing!” Wishing you peace and clarity.

Crying happens. Just let it out. So much better out than in. I know big changes are scary but I have confidence you are going in the right direction. :) xo

Tracy says:

I took an awesome nap yesterday, too! So so necessary. As necessary as a good cry. Hang in there!!

Kanoe says:

I have been there too. Sometimes really rest and even a good cry is all you need. REST is your friend… definitely listen to that still small voice telling you it’s time to rest. Honor your body & yourself as they say… YOU DESERVE IT!! Hope you have a great weekend… roasting everything & anything with Flat Kitty & your beautiful family :-D

Cry away Mama! I had a really tough week teaching, and you know what, good cries and good naps help oh so much :)

You’re awesome! Good luck with the big career change!

Cathy says:

I’m a newbie to your blog and blogging. I love reading about your life and how you handle it with such grace, humor, and humility. I’m sending all the positive thoughts, vibes and prayers your way. As a working mom and wife I totally understand all the weight we carry. Stay strong!

Hi Cathy! Thank you so much for your nice comment. We do carry a lot of weight as moms don’t we? :) Sending positive thoughts your way too as a busy working mom. :)

Samantha says:

How did I not think about roasting carrots either? Genius.

Hang in there gal. Never forget how many of your readers you inspire and touch. I hear you on the way too much nut butter eating as that is one of my top outlets as well. I sometimes suspect the fats are trying to balance out all the cortisol releasing from the stress. And the sugar…well, that is just being plain overtired.

I think you touch a lot of people and we relate to your real suffering because you are so relatable. This is a good thing and one of your many gifts. Thinking of you.

Stacey says:

Gosh girl, please know that you are one great girl! And a little extra nut butter never hurts! I used to stress/boredom/mindless eat and then. I got a grip on it…thank goodness…but then it had the opposite effect and now I just eat enough to get by….food makes me grumpy…I’m still having a little bit of tummy troubles….I messages you and week or or two ago…. Just havent had a chance to email ya yet…. But anyway back to u….u inspire so many moms, busy moms, workout moms, etc etc. your blog is so easy to relate to and appreciated! In the past week Ive found out that my sister has lung cancer on top of her breast cancer, my mom has to get a second mammogram Bc something showed up…And my dad had his second heart attack in 4 months this past Thursday….had two stents put in Saturday aNd I’m still dealing with this stomach issue of mine, my husband And I are stress out and my little girl starts first grade tomorrow and my son starts preschool! O happy days! Lots of prayers and I will always make time to read your blog! It’s my sanity! Xoxox

Oh I totally forgot to send in my flat kitty pic! I better do that sometime before it gets lost! I love roasted cauliflower, I’ll roast up and entire head and eat the whole thing myself, so good! And since started potty training Judah he’s pooped outside 4 times, he thinks he’s a bear or something.

Jessica Jones says:

Keep your head up stuft mama, God never gave anybody something they can’t handle!:) your a tough determined women! Take it as a compliment that he has that much faith in you. Have fun this weekend with your boys!

I’m so sorry you have been such a mess! I am the same way when I make a decision!! I’m always here for you if you need an ear! Love you girl!!

So sorry you’re feeling overwhelmed. I shed some tears this weekend, too… those days come, and it always feels good to have that release! Running helps, but real tears are so healing. Hope you can find some peace, and know that you are supported by so many! Praying for you as you determine your next steps.

1. [...] yeah, so I was worried about my last post. Sharing too much of my thoughts and worries, but man, thanks so much for your kind words and for [...]