Joaquin, Breakfast Chat and a New Outlook

Weekend Workouts:

Saturday

7:45 am taught my boot camp class

4 miles on the treadmill at the gym

Sunday

7.5 miles on the treadmill at the gym

Sometimes it’s not easy to get motivated, but just remind yourself how great it’s going to feel when you’re done.

Lovely picture. We stopped at the store on the way home from the gym shortly after this picture. I wore that sweaty top. I’m not even embarrassed.

So, to say that I’ve got my hands full over here is an understatement. I take on way too much, get overwhelmed, can’t seem to get my head above water, slack on my household, mommy, and wife duties and then scramble to find my way back to some kind of balance and routine.

Yep. That’s me. My life is a freaking roller coaster.

I feel like I’ve been going downhill for awhile though and it’s just not okay anymore. It’s time to turn things around and make some changes.

Mondays always seem like a fresh start. Today is really one for me. I’ve realized a couple things over the past weekend that I really need to address, and this week my friends, is the week to do it.

Let’s talk Joaquin first though because, well, it’s Joaquin.

This guy is busy. I can hardly keep up. Here’s just a few things that went down last week that never made it on the blog.

Some early morning wake ups with his little Muppet friend.

IMG_5662_thumb1

They (Joaquin and his “friend”) wanted to check my ears for “treasures”. That’s what we like to call ear wax around here. Don’t worry, they never find any in my ears.

This happened last week also while I was making a mess of my own in the kitchen.

IMG_5668_thumb3IMG_5669_thumbIMG_5670_thumb

I should’ve known. Things were quiet (that’s never good). At least they were honest though because when I asked them from the kitchen what they were doing, Judah replied “We’re painting Joaquin’s nails”.

That’s exactly what they were doing, along with painting a little of the carpet and the coffee table. Thank goodness for old gross carpet and cheap Jerome’s furniture.

Not too bad of a manicure job though, huh?

IMG_5680_thumb1

That’s just one hand. The other one had a few other colors. Who knows, maybe he’s found his calling.

He also slept through the first half of our boot camp class, but woke up just in time to catch a little of the action.

IMG_5690_thumb1

He was outside with his squirt bottle about 5 minutes after I took that picture.

Oh, and he got a new skateboard.

IMG_5682_thumb1

He told me this particular “skateboard” goes in the water. I’d like to see that. I’d also like to see him fix the decorative box he broke making his darn “skateboard”.

Oh, and one of our nights last week looked like this. I never posted it because I didn’t want to gross you out. I guess I changed my mind. For a short time I thought it was going to be our first trip to Urgent Care, but we managed to avoid that thank goodness.

He had a quick recovery and was back to working it out on the treadmill the next day. Stubborn just like his mommy.

IMG_5711_thumbIMG_5712_thumb

You may have seen this picture on Instagram the other night. I still haven’t figured out why, but he insists on eating the last bit of Chobani with his hand. Every single time.

Luckily Judah usually doesn’t follow his lead. He’s a bit more concerned with trying to look cool.

Ha ha.

Yeah, raise your hand if you’re a mess.

Holy smokes. I need an extra hour of sleep a night just to keep up with this guy.

Okay, so now a little breakfast and lunch chat really quick.

For the past few months I’ve been eating the same breakfast pretty much every single day. Yep. Either Mama’s breakfast STUFTwich or my new personal favorite the cinnamon sugar breakfast STUFTwich.

The other day I decided to substitute in some coconut butter for the Smart Balance on this and it was truly amazing.

This will be revisited again.

I did something really crazy the other day during our trip to Costco. I bought eggs. Yep, the real deal. Brown organic chicken eggs. I’ve been craving yolks for some reason lately which is so weird.

Maybe I thought it was time these crazy kiddos learned that eggs don’t only come from ginormous egg white jugs.

Ha.

Yesterday I made the most magnificent breakfast sandwich. Yolks and all.

Mama’s Savory Breakfast STUFTwich

1 egg and 2-3 additional egg whites

seasoning of choice (I used Bagel Spice, crushed red pepper, ghost chili sea salt, sea salt and trader Joe’s mixed peppercorns)

spinach

hot sauce (I used Scotty B’s)

Brewer’s Yeast

2 slices whole grain bread

Cook the egg and whites with the seasonings and spices. Toast the bread. Add all the fixings. Viola.

IMG_3214IMG_3216IMG_3218IMG_3220IMG_3222

Um, yeah. Best breakfast STUFTwich ever when I’m not feeling the sweet sandwich thing.

This will be revisited also.

The boys scarfed down their real scrambled eggs by the way. I think they prefer them to the microwaved egg whites I usually slave in the kitchen over.

They also had a SunButter and strawberry jam sandwich and their GNC gummy vitamins.

Oh, one more breakfast that never made the blog while I’m at it.

Everyone’s doing the sweet potato thing lately. I thought I’d jump back on that ship for a day since I had one lone sweet potato.

I made one heck of a messy sweet potato pancake.

Sweet Mess Potato Pancake

1 sweet potato (cut into chunks)

1/2 cup egg whites (from the ginormous egg white jug this time)

1/4 cup oats

cinnamon

vanilla

1 stevia packet

I just mixed everything and cooked it on the stove. Not well obviously. But, I doctored it up pretty well with some PB2 mixed with soy milk.

It was darn delicious.

Okay, so now a little life chat.

I really feel like I need a new start with some things. I need to change my ways a bit. I meant to start off September with a a bunch of new things in place and have everything organized, but hey, that didn’t happen.

Today though, it’s happening.

This past weekend I realized too much of my time is spent taking a million and one pictures of random food when I really should just be sitting and interacting with my kiddos. Not okay.

My “office hours” have been cut in half over the past month. I don’t have time to myself really in the morning anymore and I have some new classes I’m teaching that take away my afternoon “work” hours. It’s been rough to say the least. I really need to prioritize my time a bit better.

Also, I have some pretty big running events coming up in the very near future that I’m beyond excited about, but will entail getting back on a running training schedule.

I’ve also realized I’ve been consuming a little too much artificial sweetener. Don’t get me wrong, I love my two ingredient chocolate frosting, my frozen frosting, my low calorie peanut butter frosting, sugar free Torani syrups, etc., but………..

I’m really going to make a conscious effort to limit them this month. I think my over consumption is making me a bit grumpy.

I’m not ready to totally give them up. I enjoy my low calorie ice cream too much and love having lower calorie alternatives to avoid high sugar and fat temptations, but I’m going to try to really limit my daily intake.

I see a return on three ingredient fudge making a comeback or a whole lot of banana soft serve (a frozen banana blended in my vita) in the near future.

Okay, enough? Yes, enough.

I heard this quote once and it always sticks with me “Why choose to fail when you have the opportunity to succeed?” I think that was from Jillian Michaels on The Biggest Loser. (How awesome is it that she’s going to be back on by the way? I’m so excited!)

Anyhoo…..

Let’s take on this Monday, this week, this opportunity to live life the best that we can. It’s never too late to make changes. To make better choices about how we live each day.

Today I will not let fear, self doubt or self sabotage stand in the way of what amazing opportunities are out there.

I WILL NOT!

I might need a double espresso though. This guy is on it.

Do you ever self sabotage?

Are there any changes you’re trying to make this week or anything particular you’re focusing on?

Comments

Joy says:

I am very similar to you it seems. I love to take things on, with all intentions of doing everything well and in time, but I get SO easily overwhelmed and end up feeling nothing but stressed out when the things I took on were supposed to be fun or good for me (personally or career-wise). I’m trying to say no more often, but it is hard. What helps me is taking a step back and realizing that I can only do one thing at a time and try to figure out which one thing is most important at that time.

I love all your photos and love that you’re still updating your blog even though you’re so busy. You’re doing a great job!

Thanks Joy. Yeah, I’m with you on getting too stressed out personally and career-wise. Oh man I let it get to me and then I get so irritable. Not good. Thanks for sharing. I need to take a step bakc like NOW! :)

Ren says:

Good luck on limiting the sweeteners! As a queen self-sabotager myself, I feel your pain… And it’s definitely rooted in fear for me too. I have to stay constantly mindful of my own (re)actions and motivations to make sure I don’t go down that slippery slope. It’s a tough battle, but so worth it! I have faith in you!

Carlyn says:

sending you massive hugs xoxo

lindsay says:

this makes me soooo happy to hear. ANd yes, i can relate. Less is more approach. Youre a full time everything, so take of yourself. I like that office hours are being cut back and the three ingredient fudge is back in the mix. I heard a sermon once that said we work too much and that’s a sin. Why? Because we are so tired and stressed that we are not fruitful, purposeful, etc. Oh man did that hit home.

sending big TEXAS hugs your way!

Yes, less is more. I always think I want to be calm and collected like Lindsey. :) Okay, wait- that just hit home for me too. I never thought about being stressed out as a sin. Oh Linds- you always know when to share your wisdom!!! HUGS!

Samantha says:

Morning gal. Thanks for this lovely post…I want to harness your strength.

So minor comment. I just can’t do the artificial sweeteners. I have tried, more than one, never done well with them. Point being, I modify your recipes all the time with a bit of brown sugar and they do wonderful. For example, your fudge/chocolate topping = 2 tablespoons cocoa, 1-ish unpacked tbls brown sugar, 2 tbls almond milk. I do this all the time. I know the flavor/sweetness is vastly different. But most of your recipes translate extremely well. Same with the low-calories ice cream…1-ish unpacked tbls brown sugar.

Mostly I am even trying to set goals this month – and ones that are fearful but life changing…you know, like a better job. :) I think this is where the self-sabotaging comes in. I am preparing to fail before I even try.

I am glad your little guy is OK and no urgent care trip. Two busy boys…I am impressed you have dodged that trip this long!

Thanks again for this post, Sam

I really enjoyed this post, because like you I’m kind of going through some STUFF right now too and feeling overwhelmed, emotional, stressed, and a little down. So it’s time to evaluate the situation, reach out to friends, write it down, and FIX IT. Thank you for sharing and here’s to a great week, making changes, and feeling AWESOME! Can’t wait to make a STUFT sandwich tonight. xoxo

RELAX!! You must be that over achiever that I think about being but, never quite make it there…that’s why I like to live through you!! ha! (No pressure though!)

Really RELAX…enjoy the boys and their messes…take less pictures (although as teens they will LOVE to see what they really put you through and it could be good blackmail!) Plus, the girl friends!! Oh, they will love seeing them eating with their fingers~painted nails~ and Kermit it only gets better!!

Now, sit back and REALLY, REALLY, RELAX…don’t work out, don’t make a video, don’t clean, don’t shower (ha!) just eat your ice cream and let the ELMO (or whatever) video roll while you RELAX! Your mind and body will thank you. (After all we are here for but a breath so enjoy your breaths…each and every one)

xo

Oh Kathy- SO much easier to read this than actually do it. :) Actually, right now I have the no shower thing down. Ha ha. Thanks so much for your advice. I AM going to take it!!! :) It’s actually been The Incredibles that has been my saving grace lately. :)
      Hugs Kathy!!!!

I love your message in this post and thanks for being so honest. We all struggle from time to time with priorities and life in general. I think one of the most important things is taking time to enjoy the people around you and life itself. And by the way, I’m so with you on the sweetners….that is a goal for me this month. I’m trying 30 days cold turkey, no sweetners except coconut crystals and I can tell you the pumpkin spice coffee just isn’t the same. :(

I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty darn good at self sabotage friends. I think I do it out of fear. Fear that I’m going to fail at something. Today though, today I’m kicking it to the curb. <—–UM YEAH ME TOO. I'm getting better but it really is something that I have to work at. I remind myself daily that I am a work in progress.
    That eggy stuftwich thing-a-ma-bob totally had me drooling. I'm making that for dinner tomorrow night btw. That last pic with your cat & the espresso maker…hilarious.

Wendy says:

Phew, at first I thought this was like a breakup letter and I was gonna throw a major fit. I dont want to have to do with out some daily Stuft. I am queen of self sabotaging. You have so much going on, it’s a wonder you know your own name. Take a deep breath, you totally got this girl. (((HUGS)))

Good for you recognizing that a chance needs to happen – you are such a strong woman, I know you can do it! For me, I have got to get my eating under control. I realized that I am still underestimating calories in things, so it’s back to counting for me (especially after my fun-filled vacation week!). So healthy food choices, lots of running, and balancing work & life are at the top of my list right now. :)

Oh the ever-common self-sabatoge. Do it all the time—guilty as charged! I once heard that females crave instant gratification & when we don’t receive it we kind of “freak out” & possibly self-sabatoge! Hang in there, we all do it! I cut out artificial sweeteners (for the most part) & started craving sugary things WAY less. Good luck!

Janet says:

I <3 U!
    Just what I needed, some honesty today!
    It's so tough to balance children with all the other plates you are spinning to stay on top of that stick! Please give yourself a bowlful of GRACE- you are doing the best you can and we are ALL trying our best! Thank God, you didn't have to run to the ER, however with boys, always be ready!
    Praying that God would cover you today with his Grace & Mercy and an extra dose of "I'm Enough!". You are awesome and you are loved! Have a fabulous BRAND NEW DAY to a BRAND NEW WEEK!

I am very good at self-sabotage, and I think it stems from a deeply rooted idea that am not good enough. It’s definitely something I’ve been working on: trying not to be so hard on myself. It’s a slow process but I’m definitely happier now than I was a year ago.

This post hits so close to home. I’m in the same boat. I want to do everything and anything but time won’t let me. I’m a day by day work in progress about setting limits and learning to say no. It’s hard but there are always other opportunities that will arise. For one missed there will be two more. Stay strong!

Thanks Angela for saying that. Yes, there will always be other opportunities. I keep telling myself that. The boys are young and I need to spend my time with THEM!!!! :) Hope things are getting figured out for you too over there. :) Sending thoughts and prayers your way.

I’m so happy to hear your plans. You can totally do it. No self sabotage, just decide not to! Give yourself more credit, you are stronger than you think! I’m glad Joaquin survived whatever happened in the bathroom. Your kids are one in a million. As far as the artificial sweetener problem…you know sweet potatoes can really do the trick too as far as sweet cravings go. I don’t know if you’ve ever had a kabocha squash but it’s like eating sweetened butter and somehow it’s the lowest calorie squash.

Susan says:

I am sure there are a lot of us out there that are self-sabotagers! I am definitely one of those people! I totally relate to everything you just wrote, you have the boys and your training classes,running etc. that keep you on your toes I have my 14 year old high school freshman(yikes!), my full time job as a middle school counselor, and my part time training business. I read your post and think, I want to do that too! I want to be able to say “no”, have more “me” time, and get over the fact that my kitchen table is a freakin disaster for starters!
    You really are an inspiration on so many levels! Take one day at a time! Do enjoy the boys-trust me,…time flies!
    Oh,..and Flat Kitty will be meeting some new middle schoolers tomorrow! My son says I am becoming obsessed with Flat Kitty-I adore that cat! He cracks me up!

Oh Susan- you are too kind. I don’t even know how you do all that you do. YOU are amazing. And don’t even talk about the kitchen table over here. Embarrassing. Ha ha. Hang in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liz says:

Joaquin is soooo funny and adorable! Love your thoughts/reflections, it is such a good reminder to be present in every moment (we sure don’t want to miss the sweet and silly things our 2 1/2 year olds get in to)! Good luck on your new venture but keep the boys adventuresbnd Flat kitty photos coming! :)

Jill Morris says:

Wow…exactly how I’ve been feeling, especially today. So glad you posted this an relieved to see so many comments that lots of us feel the same right now! I always have the best intentions and think I can take on the world. Then, before I know it, I feel like I’m drowning in all the commitments I’ve made and have zero time for myself. I have always had trouble balancing things too. Many prayers for all of us ladies this week! Thank you for your positive spin today :)

purelylori says:

I seem to have less and less time for myself lately too, I need to start getting better organized and make a plan. and stick to the plan :)
    can never go wrong with sweet potato pancake!

Aleesha says:

Love Kitty sitting on the stovetop!

I do not how you do, all that you do, in a day! You are so amazing. I can see how you would feel totally overwhelmed. Its alot to keep up with, no doubt. The most important thing is that you stay healthy, and take care of yourself and family first. A little bit of STUFT is better than no STUFT at all. All of your followers want to see you healthy and happy, and not stressed. Your health is more important. Maybe start by taking on just a little less each day and see if that helps. Your doing a great job at everything you do, and you would never be a disappoint to us…..your readers. Lots of hugs from Atlanta.

Aleesha- Oh my goodness- this comment is so nice. Thanks so much for your support. Obviously I’m overwhelmed if I’m just now getting back to you. Man oh man. Thanks for the reminder that health is the most important. :) Hugs right back at you all the way over there in Atlanta. :)

First of all, can I just say how adorable Joaquin is?? And Judah too? But man, do you have your hands full with them! They did do a great job with the nail painting though.

I too needed to hear this and it also hits close to home. I too take on much more than I probably should and then I get frazzled and don’t do a great job at any of it. I too had grand plans for organization and focus post-Labor Day. I’m still waiting for it to set it. Like you, I know that there needs to be a change. But I know that we both can do this. Big hugs.

I feel like we’re a lot alike in that way Christine. Hope you’re making progress on your organization. My notebooks are still sitting here untouched. Oops. Ugh. HUGS!!!!

Sometimes just vocalizing everything is enough to get the ball rolling and relieve a little bit of stress. I know when I feel overwhelmed it helps to talk about it and I’m so glad you did! Know that you are not alone in the great motherhood balancing act and don’t be afraid to ask for help. Whenever I reach my breaking point the first thing my husband says to me is that I need to let him help me :)

As a side note, we look for potatoes instead of treasures :)

You are so right Jenny. I’m so close to a breaking point it’s not even funny and my poor hubby already helps out so much. Holy smokes. Some day I’ll get it together. Ha. Hugs to you!! How are you managing with the new little one?

Again, you really hit home with me. I feel the same way right now; there is just not enough time in the day to get everything done! I am also a self-sabotager. One of my goals this month is to learn to let things go, not getting stressed or overwhelmed when I don’t get everything done that I had planned. Life is too short to forget about the things that are important and meaningful. Thanks for your post and I’m sending good vibes your way! We are all in this together!

I’m sending good vibes your way too Melissa. I’m starting off this week the exact way I did last week. Overwhelmed again. Wouldn’t it be awesome to have an extra day just to catch up? :)

Miz says:

Im too typeB to self-sabotage but then Im too typeB at times to get enough DONE
    so there’s that :)

I’m thinking Joaquin is on to something eating his yogurt like that. I bet that is so good for your skin! Don’t knock it until you try it. Those boys are a handful for sure. Seriously, I don’t know how you do it with having them at the same age like that.

As for self sabotage, yeah, I’m guilty of doing that all the time. I’m trying to get better, but it is definitely a slow process. Keep your chin up my friend!

Bonnie says:

Great thoughts all around, Kristin – thanks for sharing! Having kids (or one!) in general seems like a handful – how much life must change when you have kids! Whew. Not sure if I’m ready for it yet I recognize the blessings too – curious to know God’s timing for our lives if that’s the road we choose!

I think it’s a great goal to limit your sugar intake – good observation on yourself and how you operate and just listening to your body. Who knows how that will change things? And as for self sabotage, I’m for sure guilty of that. I’ve been trying a new method of eating (which includes bits of intermittent fasting) and have loved it but find that when it comes to the eating time I really go to town – not so good for my body or the purpose of the fasting! Not sure why I do it either – it’s like if I go a little overboard and allow more than I won’t feel bad for that extra handful here or dose of artificial sugar there…does that make sense? Sheesh – gotta think on that a little more myself!

We can all keep each other accountable in that department from the sounds of it. :) Love you friend! Have a great day and keep turning to Jesus in every moment!

Oh man- yeah if I fast at all it always comes back to bite me in the butt and I overdo it when it is time to eat. Yes, let’s all keep each other accountable. I’m in!!!! :)

Maggie says:

Good for you for realizing you need to make some changes. It’s hard to never have any along time, hard to stay energized to cook, clean, workout and be super mommy. Make sure to cute yourself some slack from time to time, too. :) . Love your blog. Xo

Leigh S. says:

I’m coming to this discussion late, but …. Unfortunately, as moms, a lot of us self-sabotage (my 2 cents’ anyway!) by trying to be everything to everyone. I never did like multitasking at work, because I felt I never got anything fully done or done well–just tons of things that were halfway OK/mediocre. Though I know multitasking has its place (and a prominent one during parenting, for sure), it’s just not my preference. I’m supportive that you’ve decided to make some changes; that’s the hardest step for me sometimes, just recognizing what’s not working and committing to doing something different. I wish you all the best, Kristin! (I’m a newer reader; can’t always read every post or comment, but I do my best to encourage!) Finally, your boys look like tons of fun. I kind of gave up on having functioning blinds in our house a year or two ago and have learned to never, ever leave the room when a marker or crayon is around. I figure, if we ever look to sell the house, we’ll get new blinds. If not, they’ll eventually get replaced when the kids exit their destructive phase(s). Oh, and I hope you don’t feel you have to make time to respond to this. I’m cool with just saying my spiel. : )

Leigh- This comment made my day when I read it. Blinds are the least of our problems over here. Ha ha. Thanks for your encouraging words. It means a lot to know that others understand. This mom business is hard and all about multi-tasking. Ha ha.

Amber Schaefer says:

Use truvia and granulated stevia for everything you used artificial sweetener for!

1. [...] Just a little reminder of my new outlook. [...]

2. [...] tried a new savory breakfast STUFTwich on [...]

3. [...] To be totally honest I have not been doing the best job at my new outlook I wrote about last week and giving up artificial sweeteners. I’m making baby steps though. It’s [...]

4. [...] I can do the whole Paleo thing. I love bread too much and I’m still working on baby steps with my new outlook and attempting to limit artificial [...]

5. [...] was like 100 degrees outside and we were busy in the morning making yet another ginormous savory breakfast STUFTwich (with a real egg in [...]

6. [...] was a savory breakfast STUFTwich just like the one I had over the weekend with turkey bacon and a grain free microwave English [...]

7. [...] had the best savory breakfast STUFTwich on my favorite bread with a little Trader Joe’s turkey [...]

8. [...] made myself a quick savory breakfast STUFTwich so I could join [...]