Podcast Thoughts and Big Runner’s World Race News

Good morning! Holy smokes we’ve been up for awhile over here already. I know I’ve said it before, but these early risers are killing me. At least we were productive before 6:30 am this morning.

Ha ha.

I also made myself an extra strong café Americano (I used coconut milk this time) and put it in my new cool Starbucks cup.

Yep. Feeling better already.

Some workouts and eats.

Monday’s workouts- all the classes I taught:

spin class

Y40X (40 minute HIIT body weight training) class

25 minute back to abs

step aerobics class

There’s a reason I’m more tired than dump, eat like a cow and look like this at the end of Mondays.

But then there’s also a reason I saw this beautiful sunset as I was leaving the gym.

Just a little reminder of my new outlook.

I’ve still been eating my ginormous Yum Hum veggie wrap for lunch lately. And well, when it doesn’t make it in a wrap (because I’m having a Flatout cinnamon crisp bowl filled with a pile of chocolate pumpkin protein goo as soon those boys are down for their naps), I take the same ingredients, add a little turkey and make it a salad.

Yep. That Yum Hum dressing just makes everything better.

While I’ve been saving my wraps for the “bowls”, the boys have decided they want to jump on the lunch wrap train. They’ve been scarfing down some turkey, hummus, cheese and romaine lettuce wraps of their own lately.

IMG_3164_thumb

Good job kids.

So…. on my long runs, I usually listen to Jillian Michaels’ podcast. Sometimes (like this past Friday) I listen to three of them in a row. She really does share some very useful information.

Here’s some things that I heard this past run I thought I’d pass along.

– Caffeine has been shown to improve performance when taken 30-60 minutes before a workout. You should consume the minimum amount where you notice some of the benefits, but it doesn’t make you jittery or have the opposite affect.

– A shot of espresso is about 80 mg of caffeine. (I’ll take two please.)

– Experts are now saying that you should strike the ground at the front of your foot instead of the heel. (Did you know that? Do you even pay attention to that when you run?)

– When running, your stride length should be so that you have 90 strides on each leg in a minute. If it’s less than that, you need to shorten your stride. Interesting. (I haven’t tested mine out yet, but I should. I’m curious to what mine is.)

– The best running form involves a T. Rex arm. (Okay, you caught me. I made that one up.)

Jillian also had some grocery shopping tips that I thought were pretty interesting.

– Shop the perimeter. (We all know that already though, right?)

– Buy items that will take up a lot of time at the register. You want the cashier to be as slow as possible looking up all the codes for your fresh items.

– Use a cart, not a basket. You have less willpower when carrying a basket close to your body. (Side note- I know how to fill up a basket like no other. I think I still have permanent dent marks on my arm from the handle digging in years ago.)

– Never grocery shop hungry. (Oops. Have done this way too many time at Trader Joe’s.)

– Never shop with your kids. (Oops.)

– Only buy products that are a plant, animal or mineral. (Oops. See below.)

I was caught at a weak moment on our last Costco outing. I was tired, the boys were grumpy and they were sampling this darn cereal a little too close to the long check out line.

Special occasions only friends. Not the healthiest, but the boys love the chocolate milk it leaves at the end. I’m not a big fan of the leftover milk as it usually ends up all down their shirts, but oh well. That’s life. Right Tony?

Finally, Jillian was talking on the phone to a woman who couldn’t seem to get back into the gym after losing her daughter.

Her advice and take on it was this:

There is usually an underlying reason why you are stopping yourself from working out or feeling good. Either it signifies that you’re moving on, you feel threatened or you’re scared. Think about what’s really holding you back and deal with it. You deserve to be happy.

That’s kind of what I wrote about it my last post, yes? The whole fear and self sabotage thing. I thought it fit rather well and could be applied to other areas in life.

Now, on to some big race news.

I’m going to this huge event friends!

Runner’s World Half Marathon and Festival

image

Eek! Yes, just next month. Yes, it’s in Pennsylvania! Yes, it’s going to be freaking awesome!

Talk about being a little nervous and scared. I’m not a traveler so I’m a little anxious about the whole thing already, but I’m so excited for the opportunity to meet the Runner’s World editors and writers and some big time marathon runners (Bart Yasso, Dean Karnazes, Kristin Armstrong, Marc Parent, etc.). I also finally get to meet some fellow FitFluential Ambassadors. Yippee!!!

The whole festival weekend includes seminars on gear, training and nutrition, movies and races. The complete schedule can be found here.

There’s a 5K, 10K and a half marathon. You can do just one race or all three (for a hat trick). Yep, I’m going for all three because that’s what I do. There’s even some free kid’s races. Hmm….. maybe I should take the boys. They like to run. (Judah tells me every day that he’s going to run a race at the “animal park” and get his nails done.)

If you want to join in on the fun you can register here.

Runner’s World Half Marathon and Festival Registration

Use the code BLOGGER37 to get 10% off your registration. You’ll get 10% off any of the races you register for.

If you register, send me an email. I’m going to need some friends to hang out with all weekend. I’ll make sure to bring Flat Kitty and some chia shots. He he.

If you can’t make it, feel free to share the code and tell your friends. Tell them I want to hang out when we’re there. (Yeah, I’m just that desperate for friends. Ha ha.)

Okay, that’s it for today. Time to make breakfast with my men before we head to the gym.

My mission today during my “office hours” is to get these new notebooks started with all my different task lists. I’m hoping will help organize my life. Ha.

Have a great day!

Any grocery shopping thoughts?

When and where do you want to meet up while we’re in Pennsylvania?

Do you have notebooks or am I the only one?

Comments

#1 – you need to boogie on down to ATL while you’re on the east coast!!!

I have to agree with the caffeine thing. I always thought it was BS but I had desperation coffee pre-workout last night and had the best leg day to date.

The basket vs cart thing is tough for me. I feel like I have more control with a basket because if I can’t carry it, it’s not going in my basket. When it’s full I have to be done…. like a forced cut off! 🙂

Bethp262 says:

I’m doing the RW Half too! And also doing the hat trick–it’s going to be a blast!

Love your coffee cup–I was just drooling over the exact one in Starbucks yesterday!!!

The Runners World Half looks like tons of fun, and i’m sure a lot of fellow FitFluentials will be out there!

Stephanie says:

“Buy items that will take up a lot of time at the register. You want the cashier to be as slow as possible looking up all the codes for your fresh items.”

Can you explain this one? Why did she give this recommendation? Is it supposed to prevent keying errors and make your bill more accurate? Or is there some obscure health implication I’m just not getting?

Lauren says:

I think it means that the cashier is required to key in the code for fresh produce etc. The more processed the items, the easier and quicker they are to scan through the checkout. So you if your cashier is taking longer to process your groceries it’s a good sign as it indicates that you are buying your food as fresh and as natural as possible.
      But that’s just my take on the statement! I could be completely wrong! But I hope that helps 🙂

Stephanie, just like Lauren said, it’s implying that you should buy items that the clerk needs to weigh, look up codes for, etc. like fresh produce rather than just scanning a box of cereal or something. 🙂 Does that help?

Bonnie says:

SUCH neat news about the Runner’s World Half! I wanted to put my name in for the hat but couldn’t due to travel expenses not being covered (if I’m right) and the timing – but what a blessing and FUN event! You’re going to be meeting so many neat people and it will surely be an experience – even more so than a memorable race and event. 😀

Great thoughts from Jillian too – so many little tidbits of good info!

I tried to comment your your post yesterday in the evening but my husband was laying his head on my stomach and typing was hard. I took that as a sign to close the computer (at least, I don’t think I commented…maybe I did end up going back and commenting! Sorry if this is a repeat comment!). 😉 At any rate, I just wanted to say thanks for your honesty and openness in sharing with us. I certainly self sabotage too and am not too sure of why I do…but it’s destructive and not a positive thing. You’ve got me thinking more on that and I thank you for that! Keep turning to Jesus and trusting in him. 😀 Love you friend!

Samantha says:

“Judah tells me every day that he’s going to run a race at the “animal park” and get his nails done.” – HAHAHAHA. I LOVE it!

So congrats on the runner’s world adventure! That actually sounds great and I love you are doing the hate trick.

I actually do think about my foot strike but mostly because I primarily trail run and there is a lot more fear of tripping involved. I would say that my strike varies because of terrain/slope. I definitely probably do a shortened stride on trails versus pavement versus gravel roads. By the way, I am most likely to injury myself on wide/flat gravel roads. It boggles the mind.

I am a sucker for pretty notebooks…they make me feel more powerful.

I used to eat a lot of frosted flakes. I actually had no idea there was a chocolate version. Curses! 🙂

If I was going to be in Pennsylvania I would totally meet you! Have a great day.

The chocolate Frosted Flakes must be new. Stay away if you can- they’re addicting. 🙂 Well, my untouched pretty notebooks sure aren’t making me feel powerful yet. maybe if I actually put them to use. Ha ha. Thanks for always making me smile Samantha.

Amy Zirkle says:

How exciting…finally got around to reading your posts from the last few days…I’ve had the plague since …well, technically on Thursday I felt like poo and then rallied some on Friday and Saturday and was really down for the count – to the point that I sent my husband and sons to the Orioles game in Baltimore without me – 🙁 and they were playing the Yankees (and I’m from NY :(…) ah well – hoping to head to the doctor today and see what the deal is – no running, walking, nothing for me now – and frankly last night I thought it was snowing – yes, hallucinating is never a good thing –
    Kudos to you for recognizing what you want and need – oy on the sabotage thing – do it all the time — where in the Keystone state will you be – enjoy your SoCal day!!! Be well amy

Amy- I hope by now you’re definitely feeling better. I was thinking about you last week when I read this. Sorry you missed the game and hopefully you’ll get to go to another one with your men soon. Hugs!!!!

I’m so glad Jillian will be back on Biggest Loser. It’s just not the same without her!

YAY for RW hat trick! I so wanted to do the whole weekend but just couldn’t justify the expenses. Have fun! You will have a blast with everyone. Jealous that you’ll get to meet fellow FFA and superstar runners!

I’m really thinking about running Runner’s World Half marathon. The idea of the free seminars is super enticing! They all sound great & super informative!

I’m a little jealous you’re headed to that race – sounds like a blast!! I’ve got MCM the end of October, so it’s a little too close in timing for me. As for lists – I’m the queen of lists, but I try to keep most of it electronic on my phone – calendar, to-do app, etc. I do have a paper list in my notebook at work though, so that’s the exception.

I knew you would go for the hat trick! And so stoked for the race. Seriously already counting down.

I really need to find some podcasts to listen to for runs. I have done it before and enjoyed it but then fell out of the habit and need to find new ones. Jllian sounds like a winner.

I’m positive we were separated at birth! I am the queen of notebooks. I prefer pencils to pens, how about you? I like the ability to erase! I had one of those hangry days yesterday! I worked my butt of and enjoyed every minute of it! I can’t believe you get such a great opportunity with Runner’s World! I am so happy for you! I wish I could go. I know I’m a newbie runner, but I have really been inspired lately and I’m really enjoying it! I do focus on my stride. I’m probably the over thinker, but now that I’ve gotten into the groove, I don’t think about it so much. I am actually already excited to run tomorrow…who am I?

OH I wish you could go to the Runner’s World weekend. I would LOVE to hang out with you!!!! I can totally picture us sitting in seminars together. He he. Hugs!!!

No way you’re coming to PA!!! I have been thinking about doing the 10k as part of my training for the Philly half in November, I live a few hours from Bethlehem. How cool would it be to get our judahs together and hang out?!? Haha I haven’t registered yet, I’m trying to figure out how I would go if I do, three kids, working husband, not to mention I’m still nursing the baby!

Emily- Okay it’s official, you HAVE to do the 10K (use BLOGGER37 for the discount). I’d love to hang out and meet you in person. I’ll be solo though. I can’t manage the boys by myself for an entire weekend out of state. That would be craziness. Ha ha. Let me know what you decide!

Jamie A. says:

Do you listen to podcasts on your phone or a different device. I don’t have the iPhone but am wondering how you get podcasts or where can I download them so I could listen to them on my long runs. Pandora is the worst on my runs, it always cuts out and then just stops all together when it has trouble finding a signal.

Lisa says:

I definitely agree with Jillian’s tips, except I always load up in the basket…and I’m working my arm muscles that way, that counts, right?
    I have SO many notebooks I fill up and then forget about…oopsy.
    And yes on the caffeine thing, I’ll take a double as well:) Can kitty come to Canada and make mine?

love notebooks and taking notes/lists….I am a list girl and live off of them…

what I don’t love is the dog that just burped in my lap….phew! It’s a P-U!! 😉

Whoa that tall cup is super cool! That’s so awesome you get to travel to PA! One thing I really want to do is visit a ton of random states. I don’t really have the desire to leave the country except for maybe Australia. I only visit the meat and produce section anymore and its takes soooo long for them to key in all my produce. I definitely noticed that!

Linda says:

Would love to do that RW Half, but Marine Corps Marathon is the following weekend! I am the queen of lists. Even though I do everything else on the computer I am addicted to notebooks and daily, weekly and random other “To Do” lists. There is something to be said for the process of pen to paper. You go girl!

I shopped with a basket tonight. I went in for 2 things… I came out with 3 bags. I believe it about the basket!! lol! I wish I could see you when you are on the East Coast!!! Jealous!

In exchange for letting us cut his finger nails Lincoln gets to choose what colour we paint them afterwards. You may or may not want to let the boys in on this bargaining tool 🙂

Can’t wait to hear all about the RW weekend!

I like the tips from Jillian, but some of them are definitely no-brainers! But, the one on buying items that take a long time at the register is kind of random! I love the caffeine tip. I have made myself a strong iced coffee 30 minutes before my workout the past two days and have noticed a difference in my endurance and stamina in my WODs! I’ll definitely be doing this more often!

BTW, I have had many weak moments at Costco with Keenan! It’s hard to shop at Costco with toddlers!

I listen to JM’s podcasts on my long runs too–I absolutely love them! They always motivate me and/or teach me something.

1. […] cars waiting for that light were giving me weird looks. I kind of wanted to shout the news about my big running event coming up, but I held […]

2. […] I also got caught up on Jillian Michaels’ podcast, which I found earlier this week thanks to Kristin at Stuft Mama. I’ve never really been a big Jillian follower, since I don’t watch much live TV (we […]

3. […] morning! I wasn’t planning on posting today because I have a few notebooks that still need a little organizing and some lists that definitely need some starting, but I have a […]