The Pumpkin Mocha

Yesterday’s workout:

Taught a spin class.

Ran 6.99 miles on the treadmill afterwards while watching The View and trying to look at this US Weekly magazine I found lying on the gym floor.

I’m pretty sure that magazine is a couple months old. Dang it, getting that magazine every Friday used to be the highlight of my week. Oh how life has changed. I didn’t even know Jennifer Garner had a baby. Hello.

I’ve still been doing the ginormous breakfast salad thing. Yesterday it was a combination of the sweet potato breakfast salad and the ultimate pear breakfast salad with a little extra cinnamon and chia seeds on top.

Yeah.

After all that I was still craving bread so I had to have just a few slices with some different nut butter combinations.

How’s that for Paleo friendly. Ha ha.

Oops. I can’t help it, I crave bread like no other. Speaking of, if you haven’t tried this whole wheat Pain Pascal bread from Trader Joe’s yet, you really need to. It’s only $.99 and fabulous.

Moving on.

Hmm….

Let’s see.

Went to bed at 12:30 am last night. Dumb.

At 1:30 am was talking Joaquin into getting back in his own bed.

Then woke up at 2:30 am sleeping in Joaquin’s bed with him. It’s still a blur how I got there. That’s right though, we both fit in his toddler bed. I think I may have done some permanent damage to my left foot and his stuffed moose doesn’t even begin to compare with my Technogel pillow.

By 3:00 am I was back in our bed.

At 3:30 am I was escorting Judah to the potty and then almost tripped on Joaquin who was sleeping on our floor.

By 5:00 am when I was approached yet again, I gave up and let Judah “cuddle” with me in bed.

I needed caffeine in the worst way this morning.

Now I know pumpkin is everywhere already. You’re seeing massive amounts of pumpkin recipes all over the darn place. Heck, I pretty much use it daily already in my GNC protein goo or pumpkin protein cookie dough

I could try to be different and boycott the whole pumpkin thing, but hey, I’m just not that cool.

Canned pumpkin is too awesome. There is so much you can do with it. Yesterday I made a super think GNC protein mocha smoothie with it.

Recipe coming tomorrow for that bad boy along with a little protein coconut cookie dough crumble.

Oh yes I did make a protein version.

This morning I had the bright idea to add a little pumpkin goodness to my mocha.

You can pretty much add 1/2 cup pumpkin to just about anything for 40 calories and some really great nutritional benefits. Not to mention it makes whatever it is a little heartier. It’s also easy to sneak into toddler smoothies and treats.

I wanted my mocha thick since I woke up starving and needed it to tide me over for a bit until it was breakfast salad time.

This turned out so much better than I thought. It was so thick and rich and just darn delicious.

Pumpkin Mocha

The Pumpkin Mocha

1-2 servings brewed espresso or other strong coffee

1/2 cup pumpkin

1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk

sweetener (1-2 tablespoons sugar or sugar free flavored syrup)

2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder

cinnamon (optional)

1 teaspoon coconut oil (optional)

I used my stovetop espresso maker to brew up some Starbucks espresso. Then I added the cocoa powder and sweetener (I used 2 tablespoons sugar free Torani almond syrup). Then I heated up the pumpkin and almond milk separately, added the pumpkin, frothed the milk and created this heck of an amazing fall pumpkin mocha.

The addition of coconut oil and cinnamon just makes it that much more spectacular.

You’ve got to try it friends.

Okay I’m off for one heck of a busy day. Life just does not slow down does it?

Oh and speaking of pumpkin inspired recipes, check out this protein packed pumpkin muffin. I just may be seeing my little “friend” who makes an appearance in that post tomorrow.

On last little “date”.

Weeee…….

Have a good day!

What’s your favorite way to use pumpkin?

Comments

I can’t express to you how wonderful that pumpkin mocha sounds. I know your night was not very restful, but it just sounds adorable :)

Melissa K says:

Sounds warm and cozy!:) I never thought to add cocoa powder! I just made one this morning with 4 Tbs Light Coconut Milk from Trader Joes, 3 Tbs canned pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, and of course coffee. I think tomorrow I’ll add the chocolate! Thanks!!:)

Katie H. says:

I cannot WAIT for that smoothie recipe! I’ve been looking for a good coffee/smoothie combination so I don’t spend the whole morning drinking. (Drinking smoothies and coffee, that is… that sounded like I’m a raging alcoholic.)

pumpkin cookies for one (from you and Tina) and Pumpkin/protein powder/frozen banana/soy milk with a couple of ice cubes blended in the bullet smoothie is yummy and I am really loving it lately during our warmer fall week we are having.

Coco says:

It’s so awesome to see/know of someone else who uses the on the stove espresso maker! It’s the only way to make coffee!! I guess I’m not a huge pumpkin fan.. I really like pumpkin muffins or pie.. or even added to chili (which it pretty awesome BTW) but I can’t eat it often.. I think it’s the texture or something, but I am kind of weird.. I am super looking forward to this Protein cookie crumble though!!

Sable@SquatLikeALady says:

Oh myyyy. I wonder if I could use chocolate almond milk instead of cocoa powder. I think I’m gonna try it =D

I added some pumpkin to my “oatless oats” this morning! Yum!

purelytwins says:

pumpkin mocha yes please! we will have to give it a try, as we love pumpkin and chocolate together

I can’t choose one way to eat pumpkin. You see, I’m an addict and well, these things can get tricky. So, I only eat pumpkin that I roast during the fall season. I love it in EVERYTHING!!! I ran out a few months ago of my rations, but got my pumpkins from the farmer’s market recently and I am back in action! I love EVERYTHING pumpkin!

I hope you get more sleep tonight!!! That is rough girl! At least the boys are cute…makes up for it right?? ;)

I’m crazy over pumpkin right now, so that mocha looks amazing!

I guess I’m out of touch too! I knew Jennifer Garner was pregnant, but had no idea she had a baby. ;) Your pumpkin mocha looks delicious! My favorite pumpkin food here lately has been my paleo pumpkin pancake…you should give it a try. Have a great night! http://www.hungryhealthygirl.com/recipes/?recipe_id=6032250

Linda says:

Oh my, the pumpkin mocha sounds fabulous! Will be making soon! Like tomorrow morning, if I can wait that long.

Samantha says:

Ha! I don’t think vegans can do paleo…I would shrivel up and die. But I laughed at your bread comment. I am right there with you. I had to try that TJ pepper/salt chocolate by the way. WOW. addictive stuff. If you have a chance to try some of the Madécasse chocolates I think you will like them. I love their sea salt and nibs, but also love their cinnamon and sakay pepper…transporting stuff.

Your “night” sounds brutal. I hope tonight goes better. :) I have watched my friends go through the toddler bed transition, but two of them at once?!

I have a flat kitty photo coming to you…I just have to get to that part on my camera and hope the photo came out.

A pumpkin mocha, my that sounds awesome! I feel horrible about your nights “sleep” but I couldn’t help but laugh so hard when I was reading the hourly breakdown!!!

Paula says:

I love pumpkin smoothies, pumpkin bread, and I really love it with ground turkey, garam masala, and tomato sauce ( all mixed together and simmered for a bit– I guess it is kind of like chili ). Your pumpkin mocha sounds quite yummy– I’m anxious to try that!

jennifer garner had a baby?!!?!

Jessie says:

I can hardly wait for your pumpkin smoothie recipe! I love all the different combinations you can make to a simple pumpkin smoothie recipe!!

Ohh & can I just tell you that you may be SUPER MOM!! SEriously, how do you find the energy to teach a class, bust out 7 miles & hang out w/ your adorablee boys??

Jen says:

Ugh, your breakfast salad looks soooo good and I am dying to try it when I have a day off from work so I can build and enjoy it in peace! haha and doesn’t the 6.99 miles drive you crazy?! I could never end on a number like that!! :-p

sometimes i try mentally to have a “low carb” day. i can’t do it. i love bread. i can do without pasta, rice, but bread. i always have to have it. owell. im not obese yet, so im thinking bread really isn’t that bad for you. haha.

i need to make one of your coffee concoctions, but not going to lie, i get a little lazy. come make it for me? :)

Sarah says:

Made the pumpkin mocha this morning and loved it! Great texture, thick and satisfying. You can do so many things with pumpkin. I’m glad you do the experimenting though and I just do the copying.

We had pumpkin smoothies this morning – Lincoln loved it!

Robin Senne says:

Hello! I enjoy your blog and always look forward to new work outs and recipes from you! I was curious on ways to incorporate coconut oil into my diet? Or if they is another way to add the healthy fats other than using them for sautéing? Thank you :) -robin

I add it to coffee with a little cinnamon (my cafe americano recipe) and I like to just drizzle it on things. Egg whites, fruit, etc. :) It’s so fun! Hope this helps!

1. [...] was inspired by the pumpkin mocha from the other day. It’s even better though because it’s super thick and packed with whey [...]

2. [...] of a pear and some chia seeds sprinkled on it. Oh yeah, and that darn Trader Joe’s bread (the whole wheat pain pascal from the other day) with different nut butter combinations on each [...]

3. [...] we like to take things slow and enjoy the morning. Sometimes I even try to impress and make some pumpkin mocha [...]

4. [...] by the fire or something. I’ll definitely be doing this again and I need to revisit the whole pumpkin mocha thing too. It’s about that [...]