Nike Women’s Marathon Race Recap

I’m going to try to get all this race recap business all in this morning during my “office hours”. I have fun pre race festivities too to share and one heck of a post race adventure, but in hopes to not bore you to death I’ll just talk race recap this fine morning.

Let’s see, where do I even start? This race was a first for me. The second time actually traveling to a destination race, but the first time going solo. It was weird. My last marathon was the San Francisco Marathon just a couple months ago. STUFT Daddy came with me for that one, but I’m pretty sure he wasn’t too unhappy about missing all the crowds and festivities this time.

Race morning I was up at 4:30 am. Not to brag or anything, but not only can I force down black coffee before races, but I can make a mean cup of oatmeal using the hotel coffee machine.

Also into that oatmeal cup went some chia seeds, PB2 and a banana.

I always make sure to set out my race outfit the night before so I don’t have to think too much race morning.

Here’s a look.

Don’t mind my foot in the picture. Oops.

Running attire- Inspire For Women shirt from YurBuds, Under Armour shorts, Handful sports bra, Pro Compression socks, Mizuno Elixirs, Bic Bands headband, YurBuds, Amphipod racing belt, Timex Women’s Ironman watch, cheapo sunglasses, hand me down jacket to ditch once it got warm enough

I got a cab on time for a change and had to document it with a picture of course.

Once I got to Union Square there were lots of people everywhere. They had a bunch of different wave starts and fancy hotels nearby though so it was pretty spread out. I made myself feel at home on the floor of the Westin lobby to finish off breakfast.

After a couple trips to the fancy hotel bathroom and attempting to do something with my hair, it was time to get my bib on and go.

There were some really fun outfits there. I even saw a group of ladies dressed up like flappers. It was definitely a feminine feeling race with a lot of ladies looking all cute and stuff. Yeah, I didn’t really fit in. Ha.

Despite all the people it was pretty easy to find my corral start.

I always get to the start line about 10-15 minutes at the earliest. I’m sure that’s not really the way to do it, but I get too antsy if I’m there early. I like a little pressure. While I was pushing my way up to the front I ran into Gia.

All the FitFluential runners who were at the race with YurBuds were easy to spot since we all had the same shirt.

About one minute before start time and after yet a couple more random pictures,

I decided I wanted to get a little closer to the start line. I found Skinny Runner right up there with all the fast people.

We chatted for about 30 seconds before the gun went off and we were on our way.

I have never ran with anyone before during a race. Without even asking, I tagged along with her. Luckily she was nice enough to let me. She is the queen of racing and running.

It was so fun chatting during the race. It definitely makes the time go by faster. After a couple miles the cuter than cute Hungry Runner Girl caught up with us. She was running the half marathon and she just had her daughter two months ago. Yeah, she’s amazing.

It was an honor running with these ladies.

The course was pretty hilly at the beginning. Not just a couple hills, but quite a few. The weather was nice though. Chilly, foggy, wet. Good racing conditions, not good conditions for wearing a white racing shirt.

I was too cold and lazy to get out my camera to take many pictures along the way, but I managed just a few.

IMG_6768IMG_6772IMG_6773

Janae got some better ones in her race recap post.

I decided to borrow just a couple.

IMG 4975

Janae left us around mile 11 since she was doing the half. I’m not going to lie, when she left I really wanted to turn that direction with her. It’s always a hard pill to swallow seeing other people getting close to the finish when you still have 13 miles to go.

I use my Nike+ GPS application on my phone when I race. I’m not cool enough to have a Garmin like all the good runners. Maybe some day. I have my Nike app+ set so the lady tells me each mile and my pace. She was a little off yesterday though and was about a half mile ahead. Basically, we were not friends.

The course was pretty and you got to see a lot of San Francisco. The city, Fisherman’s Wharf, the beautiful parks, some buffalo and the entrance into the zoo. The last part of the race was along the ocean and it was awesome.

It was relatively quiet along the course, but the scenery was amazing and thank goodness the second half was pretty flat after the hills during the first half.

One of many random thoughts along the way-

It is not okay for men to hold signs that say “This is easier than childbirth.” How do they even know?

Anyhoo…

At about mile 15 I decided it was time for a little music and to see if I could get under 3:30 which was my goal for yesterday. I was feeling pretty good and despite having to pee around mile 11 or so, I wasn’t having any stomach issues like the San Diego Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon so I decided to go for it.

Around mile 21 things were starting to hurt and my legs were really getting tired, but the last few miles went pretty quickly.

I say the following simple phrase to myself a lot the last few miles:

“Let’s do this.”

Oh…..

it’s so great when you finally see that 26 mile marker and then the finish line.

image

I guess that’s a a little small to read so here’s my official results.

Finish Time:

3:29:47

3rd place in 35-39 age group out of 621

50th place out of all the women

8:01 pace

I had heard there were firemen at the finish handing out the medals in Tiffany boxes. Friends, firemen in tuxedos there were.

Skinny Runner and I met up again at the finish with our favorite man.

My very first blue Tiffany box (pictured with my two loves Mizuno shoes and Pro Compression socks).

Just to not make this way too long, here’s some random finish line festivities.

They had these wraps to keep us warm. Those were key.

They also had Safeway reusable bags to put all the goodies in. Those were key too. They need those ant every race. You can only hold so much you know.

We got some free Neutrogena sunscreen.

Then we made our way to the YurBuds tent to thank our friends for the race.

Um, have I mentioned how much I love Sarah? Seriously, love her. I’m a stinking old fart compared to her, but I just pretend I’m about 5 years younger. I also really need her to give me some beauty tips. She looks amazing even at the end of races.

We bypassed the Paul Mitchell hair station. How cool though that they had this at the finish right?

Too bad they didn’t have free Botox.

After saying good bye to Sarah, I ran into my favorite electrolyte drink Nuun booth. I told them I applied for their Hood to Coast relay and got rejected, but that I’m going to keep applying until they let me in. I’m not sure they were impressed, but they were nice enough to chat with me and give me a Nuun tablet for the road.

I chose the tropical flavor since I hadn’t tried that one yet. It was awesome.

After just a couple more pictures (like you haven’t seen enough)

I said good bye to the finish line and headed out to find my way back to the hotel.

Um……

That is an adventure all in it’s own. I won’t bore you with it now, since I’ve already blabbed way too much, but let me just tell you it took me just as long to get back to my hotel than it did to run the marathon.

It wasn’t fun, it was expensive and it involved a dead cell phone, a sheriff, and some very nice strangers that gave me a ride and rescued me.

More on that later.

Some other goodies at the finish line that made it in my bag were Zico Coconut water, Luna protein bars and Ghirardelli chocolate.

photo

Okay. That’s all for now. Thank goodness, huh?

I’ve got to go hang with my boys and check on the butternut squash I’ve got roasting in the oven.

A HUGE thank you to FitFluential and YurBuds for this amazing experience.

Because of you, I have another marathon in the books, amazing new friends, some extra inspiration to run another one soon and my very first Tiffany necklace that I will treasure forever.

IMG_5101IMG_5102IMG_5103IMG_5104

Have a great day!

Comments

Samantha says:

You know, I almost never get to dress “feminine” but I SO love to do so if the chance happens. I would probably totally sport a skirt in the race. It sounds like there was a good supportive feel there. Great job!

Amy says:

Congratulations!!!! it’s always inspiring to see these amazing things you do… you go girl!! :)

Katie @ msfitrunner says:

Oh man, that sounds like an awesome marathon! Great recap, great race! I kind of like running in the rain….with a white tshirt- not so much!
    Can’t wait to hear about the post race….sounds like I probably would have curled up in a ball until someone rescued me!

Woohoo! Congrats! Geez a Tiffany necklace at the finish?! I might just have to do this race one day!

You are a TRUE inspiration! Congratulations on the great finish. :)

It sounds like you had quite the adventure getting back to your hotel. I’m interested to hear what happened!

Haha. you wanted to make 3:30.. you’re cutting it kind of close, aren’t you? ;)
    Nice job! Wish I could have been there.

kalli says:

awesome race kristin! you are such an inspiration!

I think you were in my hotel! I went up early though, you were smart! Congrats on a great race, it was wonderful meeting you!

lindsay says:

how come you never cease to amaze me. I’d be tired at mile 4. haha. way to go!

Looks like a great race! Can’t wait to hear your other stories :) The women’s theme seems really fun. I hope you liked the buds!

How FUN for YOU, cool, great necklace, wow so many awesome bloggers in one race!

Yea, whatever you look just fine after the race…but, how does SR do it? She must have waterproof makeup b/c I sweat horribly and I would simply have raccoon eyes. ;-)

That is the coolest thing ever! Your time is just incredible! This was the marathon I wanted to be my first. i think my knees have other plans for me though. That necklace is awesome – have you taken it off yet?!

Can’t wait to hear the story of how you got home… sounds treacherous.

Elena says:

Great job! I love Skinny Runner too – you and hers are the only blogs I follow regualry. Loved that you two were able to run together! Nice job on the time and finish too :) and of course the necklace.

Congrats Darling! Love that necklace and those firemen…That’s a nice way to finish a race! Hope you are having a great start to the week and had a easy trip home. Talk soon! :)

Great job! I just ran a 1/2 marathon in the rain a couple of weeks ago. Not such a good idea. :)

Can’t wait to read the rest of the story. Sounds interesting…

Coco says:

Congrats on making your goal!!

Dawn says:

Girl,
    You never cease to amaze me! Your recaps have me pee’ing my pants laughing! You make the most out of every adventure! Nice time on the run as well! Keep doing what you do, you are a machine!

XLMIC says:

Awesome job!!! And you should definitely keep applying for the Nuun Hood to Coast Relay team! The people at Nuun are super nice and it is such a fun event :) Way to go on a tough course!

What a great recap, and you broke your 3:30 goal– way to go!! I hear that is a really tough race. Those hills would have done me in, I know it. Your post-race sounds like quite the adventure!

Congrats! 3rd place in your division is so great!! Love reading your race recaps. I’m thinking I need to run it next year just for the necklace alone. ;)

CONGRATS!!!! What an awesome time!!!

Carli says:

I loved reading this at lunch. Great way to get me motivated for tonights workout!

He wouldn’t know. And there are drugs for childbirth. Just sayin’.

Something you said is now keeping me from pulling out my hair trying to remember it. Thank you!

What an awesome recap! This race is on my Fitness Bucket list for sure. Firemen in tuxedos and Tiffany Swag? I’m in.

Melanie says:

Congratulations!! You are so awesome and I love your blog. I really should comment more. I read it religiously. High five on beating the time that you wanted to beat!

Diane says:

I love reading your blog everyday, you are such an inspiration! I just bought my first pair of mizuno wave rider 15′s because of you (I have always been a Brooks or Saucony girl) but these are so comfortable and I am so thankful that I read about them on your blog as they are my new fast fave’s. Now I just need to try these compression socks, I need to read up on those bad boys. Anyway, Fantastic job on the race, you kicked butt! I bought a new ice cream maker yesterday so I am so excited to try your low cal ice cream in there tonight, I have never used one before!!!! Enjoy your day!

Diane- Sooo glad you got Mizunos and love them. Yay!!! And, you’ll have to tell me how things come out with the ice cream maker. I keep wanting to try it in my ice cream maker, but keep forgetting to put it in the freezer. Ha.

• Diane says:

Ok, it still tasted amazing but the consistency was about the same as it is in my ninja (poor woman’s vita), I just didn’t have to freeze ahead into cubes….six of one, half dozen…..

Oh you got to meet Kim from nuun too–she’;s the best! I LOVE Janae & Sarah-genuinely nice people. Isn’t it fun to meet in person:?! What an amazing event Kristen and I think you are born to run. Seriously. I could never get close to that time even if I trained with purpose. I am in love with my Brooks Pure Flows, but have heard only good about Mizuno. See you soon!

Linda says:

Awesome! You rock! I can’t wait to read about your pre and post marathon excitement! You so inspire me. In two weeks I will, hopefully, have my first marathon completed! I am so excited and reading about your training and marathons makes me look forward to it even more!!

Love the recap and all the pictures. Sounds like you had such a great race! And awesome time!!! Now…about the sheriff???

Kerri says:

Awesome. Just awesome. So happy for you…you rocked that whole trip!! It’s not a party till a Sheriff gets involved!! Ha! And SR needs to write a book on hair and makeup tips for runners. Seriously. Congrats to you!!

Jessica Jones says:

My Nike+ was ahead by 1/2 a mile and my Garmin was ahead by a mile!!! It was frustrating but just used them for pace time. Don’t know what was wrong with the satellite:p

Sabrina says:

You are so awesome! I envy your time and energy you put into your running! My goal is to be more like you! Thanks for showing us the marathon thru your eyes! You Rock!

You did amazing! I’m so happy for you! Congrats on the run and the time! You are amazing!

Lisa says:

Congrats, you did so awesome!!
    Your are seriously amazing. I adore the necklaces you got, what a fun gift at the end!

sherry says:

Congratulations!! You are an animal!! Great post/blog.

You are A-mazing, friend. I am UBER jealous of the necklace. Let’s run it together next year, yes? =)

I want to do that race one day just for the medal – gorgeous! You continue to amaze me and inspire me, what an awesome race. I’m so impressed that with all your marathons this year, you’ve still got it and are busting out some awesome times. Me and running need a little break and I haven’t even raced much this year! Congrats again, awesome lady!

Susi says:

Yeeeaaa!! You made your goal!!! And firemen in tuxedos? WOW! (though I bet STUFT Daddy looks good in a tux!) and What a beautiful medal—So proud of you….and you did look great at the end!!

Liz says:

Thanks for sharing your adventure! Those action shots on the race are awesome, you are so inspiring! :)

Sarah says:

So awesome!! And inspiring!!

congrats girl!! you are amazing for all the race you do. Loved your outfit! And whoa Tiffanys!! nice :)

You are amazing!!!!! Such an inspiration :D Congrats!

SkinnyRunner says:

im so i glad i got to run with YOU! man, you kept me in it for a long time when i was struggling and yes, it made the miles go alot faster! great, strong race!!

Elizabeth says:

Congratulations on an amazing race!! You are awesome!! I think your shirt is very fitting because you are definitely inspiring!!

Wow that’s an amazing time! I have a 1/2 marathon on Sunday and I’m hoping to do the 8:01/mile pace but I’m nervous I won’t make it! You are definitely inspiring me :)

What a great race, congratulations! Love the necklace. And the firemen. ;-)

Did you like the Yurbuds? I am considering them since my iPod earphones hurt my ears and don’t stay in very well.

Sasha says:

Congrats Kris! Sounds like another amazing race – you’re so awesome! Love the recap and the photos. Proud of you for going on a solo trip and it looks like it was a great trip aside from what sounds like quite the adventurous trip back to your hotel. Oy.

Awesome job lady!! This race is on my bucket list for sure. Fingers crossed it happens for next year.

Caitlin says:

You are amazing! You made that race sound like it was a piece of cake. Huge inspiration!!

Way to go! I am so jealous that you got to run that! We have tried to get in two years in a row now! It looks like an awesome race with some great free stuff! That sounds like a horrible time getting back to your room. I am eager to hear about all that happened. You are awesome! LOVE love love reading about all your adventures!

Congrats!! Reading your recap has inspired me to push myself even further with my workouts and upcoming CrossFit competitions! You are awesome!

lora lee says:

Congratulations. I have a question. You don’t run with your Nathan fuel belt in race day. Where or what do you put your iphone in for music?

Girl Child says:

Totally going to watch Elt with the kiddos today.. LOVE that movie! freakin hysterical LOL

Robin Baker says:

Amazing Kris! good job! miss you

'Ama Runs says:

Oh my gosh, It is SO NOT ok for men to hold signs saying “This is easier than childbirth.” Also, that is so not true.

Congrats on a great race on such a hilly course! This looks like a fun race! (the expo, not so much).

Kanoe says:

You rock girl!! One day I shall aspire to run as good as you LOL! :-) Oh & that Tiffany’s necklace…. awesome!

Alexandra says:

Amaaaazing Tiff necklace! Looks like it was a great marathon :)

Juju says:

THANK YOU so much for sharing!!!!!!! I am running my 1st marathon this year and needed some inspiration. Thank you

1. [...] I met some of the coolest people this past weekend during my short stay in San Francisco for the Nike Marathon that I have to [...]

2. [...] Doesn’t everyone carry around a “thunder stick” they scored from The Nike Women’s Marathon? [...]