Runner’s World Recap Part One – The BBQ

I’m on plane.

Yep. That’s where I am. I hope by the time this publishes I’ll be home, but let’s just say it’s been an adventure getting home ever since the half marathon this morning. I don’t know what’s with me and races. I race well, but then run into all sorts of trouble getting where I need to be afterwards. Maybe it’s a special gift.

I’ll recap the races later since all of my pictures are on my phone and I’m too cheap to pay the $5 for internet access on this darn plane. I’m also starving, but too cheap to pay $8 for a small salad. This flight is going to be a long one.

I did get a PR this morning at the Runner’s World Half Marathon though. I also am one lucky gal because I got to run with Olympian Shalane Flanagan for the first mile of the race. It was so awesome. There were a lot of people taking pictures on the sidelines while we were running together so I’m crossing my fingers one of them ends up in a newspaper or something. How cool would that be?

Anyhoo…

Be prepared for a lot of posts this week recapping the whole weekend. It has been a whirlwind of events, good friends, meeting some very important people, races, etc. I always feel like you’re there with me and I don’t want to leave anything out. Plus, I think things should be pretty quiet on the home front as I’ll just be spending every minute I can with my boys, catching up on some serious laundry and eating massive amounts of sweet spaghetti squash.

Not that you care about my travel adventures today, but after my morning celebrating a few awards, I was quickly brought back to reality as my flight got delayed. That, in turn, would have made me miss my connecting flight so they put me in a car to Philadelphia to catch a flight to LA. I barely made it in time for that flight and am not quite sure how I’m getting home from LA, but I’m hoping I make it there before midnight and for less than $50. We shall see.

*Edit- This post was written last night on my way home. I did finally make it home safe and sound at 1:30 in the morning. My luggage, however, did not. Fingers crossed it gets delivered to my house today. I’m nervous. And a huge thank you to my dad for picking me up at the airport in the middle of the night.

Okay. So let’s start this recap business.

First of all, I was given this amazing opportunity to attend this event through FitFluential, Runner’s World and ICON. There was a small group of bloggers who got to be a part of this whole weekend extravaganza. The first event that was held for us was a special BBQ at the Runner’s World Headquarters where we got to meet and greet the editors of the magazine.

Not only did we get to meet the high profile editors, but we got to meet each other for the first time in person. It’s so fun to actually meet after reading each other’s blogs for so long. It’s like an instant connection and you immediately become great friends. (Again, similar to last weekend at the Nike Women’s Marathon, I’m just assuming the feeling is mutual.)

I was so looking forward to meeting this cute mama Michelle and her little guy Ryan.

She is one fast running mama and the sweetest person in the entire world.

The editors put on a fabulous BBQ for all of us with lots of delicious food. I wore my Lorna Jane gear to try to impress.

IMG_5157IMG_5158IMG_5154

It was hard to find time to chat and meet everyone, but I made sure to meet my fellow Reebok and GNC loving pal Jess from Blonde Ponytail.

And no, the bathrooms are not in the ceiling, although I’d like to see how that would work. Ha.

We also met up with Miss Zippy and Larissa.

Oh, and yeah, no big deal, but I also tried to buddy up with Bart Yasso.

He did comment on how many toppings I piled on my veggie burger. What can I say, I’m a volume eater friends.

After dinner we got fitted for our own pair of Altra Zero Drop shoes.

We made sure we got the ones that fit correctly by the CEO himself, Golden.

Getting new shoes is always glorious.

Then, we got a special behind the scenes tour with the editor John Atwood and Bart Yasso. We went upstairs to the executive offices and saw where all the magic happens.

The featured rave runs.

Past magazine covers.

John told us it’s difficult to get the exact photo they need for the cover because they want to show the perfect running form. He also admitted that sometimes they have to use photoshop to get an arm or leg from a different picture to get the form just right since so many runners look to it as a reference. Pretty interesting. I tried to eavesdrop on some questions about someone having an issue with belly buttons and airbrushing them, but the claims weren’t really addressed. I kept quiet because I didn’t dare want to talk about my gem of an outie. Ha ha.

There were so many amazing things to see.

Rodale, the company behind Runner’s World, also works with Men’s Health, Prevention and Women’s Health magazine across the globe.

IMG_5179IMG_5181IMG_5183

Hmm…. I wonder if she has an outie in real life. I’m going to pretend that she does to make myself feel better. Yeah, I’m pointing at this gal.

Oh, and just in case you care, I always like to carry my phone in my special Handful “case”.

You should try it.

Since there were a couple of us lagging behind, we didn’t get the full tour of Bart’s office. He told us we could go check it out.

And that, my friends, is exactly what we did.

I may or may not be holding a pair of Bart’s reading glasses in the picture. I swear there were like seven of them laying around. Let’s just keep that between us though, okay? It wasn’t my idea to sit in his chair anyway. It was this lady’s fault.

After our tour we chowed down on some s’mores Pennsylvania style.

(That’s Beachy, She was our hostess with the mostess. Love this girl.)

After an extremely fun night, it was time to get on our fancy schmancy bus and head back to the hotel.

IMG_5191IMG_5192IMG_5193

Holy cow friends.

And that was just the start of the weekend.

There is so much more to share along with the race recaps.

Okay, for now I’m signing out. I’m going to try to get a little shut eye while I’m still up in the sky.

Thanks for going on this adventure with me. More coming your way really soon!

Comments

Christy Diller says:

I just started running in the Altra Intuitions…LOVE them, they are so cushy and really clean up your running form. I had been running in the Eve’s for strengthening (just short runs, no more than three, and usually at the end of a run) and they have really improved my lower leg strength. Hope you like the new Altras. Such a neat company!

I’m so glad you made it home safely and had such a great weekend! Sounds like the beginning really showed you what you were in for. Everything is just so exciting! Can’t wait to hear more after you’ve gotten some cuddles and some rest! Hugs to you my friend! I’m so incredibly happy for you!

Samantha says:

Welcome home! Such a fun adventure and so much community! I love that stuff.

I don’t even know where to begin commenting because I enjoyed waking up and reading all of this so much!

Have a great day and I will watch for more. And running a mile with an Olympian?! What a honor!

Congrats on your PR!!! It sounds like you had an AMAZING weekend.

WOW – So cool I mean really….what an unbelievable opportunity!

it was such a true pleasure to meet you :) I am fully inspired to borrow someone’s kids put them in a jogging stroller and start training, apparently that will make me crazy fast. hehe!! and I do love your phone holder

this looks like such a great weekend! what a great opportunity!

Amy Zirkle says:

What an amazing weekend – sorry your travel to this coast was kind of stinky – and you hit some yucky weather too – but all in all looks like you had a rewarding and wonderful time – you go girl! Take care!

What a fun weekend! I’m so glad you made it home safely. Cuddle your kiddos and love on your hubby! Can’t wait to hear more!

Oh I just love recaps! If I can’t go myself, it’s just as good to read someone else’s description of them… maybe even better because I get to skip all of the boring downtime parts and read all of the exciting action! Haha. I bet there weren’t any boring parts on this trip though- Looks like y’all were kept busy!

SO GREAT TO MEET YOU FINALLY! I felt like we knew each other already–not because I stalk you or anything, that would be weird ;) So thankful you made it home!!

Sasha says:

Sounds like an amazing trip – stoked for you! Not so stoked for your return trip home…ugh! Glad you made it home and hope your bag made it too. Can’t wait to hear more about your trip.

What an amazing, amazing weekend. And then to top it off with your giant new half pr and awards! I’m so thrilled for you! Great recap- I’m drooling over all the people and things you got to see. And blogger meet ups are the best! So sorry about your crazy travels, no fun at all. Hope you’re catching up on sleep as much as you can with the boys!

So insanely jealous of your experience… so happy for you.

Carli says:

I hope you get your luggage soon. That is why I’m so afraid to check bags. I don’t want my undies roaming around God knows where.

I love your recap! As long as you put Bart’s glasses back all is okay.

Congrats on your PR!

PR! Awesome!! Can’t wait to hear about that!

I hope you get paid the big bucks some day for all the ambassador stuff you do. ;-)

Great recap! This weekend was so much fun! I love the pic of you at Bart’s desk!

Aren’t dads the best?? Glad you made it home safely!

Linda says:

First of all, love your blog and race recaps. Can’t wait to hear more. Sounds like an amazing weekend! That weekend may have to be my on my calendar next year. And congrats on the PR and awards! And, running a mile with Shalane Flanagan! So cool. She is going to be at MCM this weekend so I’m hoping to get a chance to meet her.

Looks like an amazing event! What an awesome chance to meet other bloggers too! I’m excited to hear about your race recap and the course!

Congrats on the PR! Can’t wait to hear the rest of the recap!

Glad you made it home and congrats on the PR! Looks like a rock star line up of bloggers and a great time overall!

morgan says:

loved your update! i covet all your cool shoes. i also feel better knowing other busy ladies keep their phones in their sports bras (and not just @ home!) ;-)

That looks like so much fun – and you didn’t even start the races yet!! I’m so jealous and happy you got to experience it all!

misszippy says:

Awesome meeting you speedy lady! It was an amazing, incredible, surreal weekend, wasn’t it? Great recap and pics!

Ahhhh! I miss you already!!! I want to go back to this weekend and just relive it forever. Well, as long as the kiddos can come along. I hope you got lots of good snuggles in today!

Kat says:

Wow what an experience!

Jenn says:

Sad to miss you this weekend while I ran from zombies, but so happy that you had such a fun adventure. Proud of you taking control of your dreams!

wow! looked like an amazing time!!

Liz says:

You are such a VIP! What an amazing adventure and congrat on your PR! :)

Oh man, I missed this post yesterday. Now there’s already another one. It’s like I’m in the middle of a book.

1. [...] Runner’s World Recap Part One- The BBQ [...]