The First Family Trip

Hey friends!

I feel like it’s been so long. You too? Maybe it was was a welcome break from me. Ha ha. I keep meaning to recap my epic half marathon from the Runner’s World Half Marathon and Festival last weekend, but I just can’t get my head in the game just yet. That happens a lot after a big race for me. It takes me a little while to let it sink in and recover. If I don’t write about it right away, I need a little time. It also turns out I need multiple servings of Costco animal cookies throughout the week following. I will not be buying those anytime again soon.

Friday I posted on Facebook that I was taking a long weekend to focus on family time and that, my friends, is exactly what I did.

We took our first ever family trip to Arizona for my cousin’s wedding.

I didn’t tell you about it. We didn’t want anyone coming over to our house trying to steal Kitty or anything you know. Plus, I really wanted it to be a weekend that I was away from my phone and the computer and just lived in the moment with family.

I won’t bore you with all the details of the weekend, but I will photo dump on you and share just some of the fun before I get to regular bloggy business this week.

My only workout Friday was running 2.8 miles pushing the double stroller. It was all I had time for and it was better than nothing. I think it made the 7 hour car ride a little more tolerable.

2012-10-26 13.41.27

Maybe I’m just speaking for myself though.

2012-10-26 13.04.47

Ha ha.

We made a quick lunch stop at Subway.

2012-10-26 12.58.092012-10-26 12.58.22

We thought we were so cool until we realized there were Subways at pretty much every single stop after our initial one.

Oh, and if you haven’t been to Subway in awhile, you can now make any sub into a really awesome chopped salad.

2012-10-26 13.12.40

Maybe that’s not a new thing, but it was new to me.

Unfortunately, finding a Starbucks was not as easy.

2012-10-26 14.46.59

Darn Siri.

We never did get our Starbucks.

We had a great time with relatives Friday night. I played it cool though and didn’t subject them to my picture taking.

Back at the hotel, the boys got to share a bed for the first time ever.

Let’s just say that was not the best idea, there was quite a bit of blanket fighting going on and a few not so appropriate choice words used by STUFT Daddy after having to get out of bed for the fifth time.

Saturday morning I made a little deal with the family.

I could go out for a run if I brought some Starbucks back to the room when I was done. It was definitely a win win.

I got my run- 7 miles on the treadmill and 4 miles outside.

2012-10-27 08.00.02

Then the family got their Starbucks.

Clearly they were excited.

After our caffeine fix we made a family trip to Target for some necessities we’d forgotten. Usually STUFT Daddy despises going to Target with us, however he didn’t complain this time. In fact, he even asked me to get out my phone and take a picture.

Yeah, that’s right. He not only asked me if I had my phone, but told me to get it out for a picture. I wish I was taping the conversation.

Want to see what the big deal was?

2012-10-27 09.20.21

Pretty cool right? Charles Barkley shops at Target too. He was so nice and totally chatted with Joaquin for awhile. It was a highlight that’s for sure. The boys were impressed, they were just trying to play it cool in front of Charles.

Our celeb sighting was followed by some more quality time with relatives. Uncle Larry and Papap were very popular as usual.

IMG_5431IMG_5434IMG_5435IMG_5433IMG_5436

That’s my cousin, Neal, who’s wedding we were in town for.

We went to visit The Railroad Park in between breakfast and the wedding.

Instead of cleaning up like a normal person, I just used a little action wipe

2012-10-27 08.49.32

and wore the same clothes I went running in earlier that morning. Lovely.

Oh well, these guys didn’t seem to care.

There were other things to focus on, like this cool tunnel.

We tried our best to look nice and clean up for the wedding.

We were 15 minutes late, but lucky us, we still beat the bride.

Funny thing- while this weekend was all about me not being by my phone or the internet, my mom (who is not a fan of the career path I’ve chosen with the whole marathon racing and blog thing) suggested I tweet a picture during the ceremony to my brother who couldn’t make the wedding. Don’t worry, I didn’t do it, but it was pretty funny. Even funnier because my bother isn’t on twitter, nor does he read the blog. He’s a smart guy.

Here we are trying to be cool.

Do you want to see just how cool we are?

Yep. That’s how cool.

We found ourselves in Target for the second time in one day to find some replacement shoes for STUFT Daddy before the reception.

2012-10-27 18.01.412012-10-27 18.09.252012-10-27 18.10.05

Oh hey. Are we having fun yet?

We eventually made it to the reception for some good food, good company and dancing. It was beautiful.

IMG_5464IMG_5465IMG_5468IMG_5469IMG_54722012-10-27 20.31.362012-10-27 20.33.07

The boys and I spent quite a lot of time in the bathroom. That’s life with toddlers I guess.

2012-10-27 19.19.37

Hey, have you seen the movie Risky Business?

2012-10-27 19.13.592012-10-27 19.14.57

Ha ha.

We had to skip out early before the cake. I wasn’t too happy about that, but Judah told me he wanted to go back to the hotel to go “night night”. Priorities.

I was begging for a cookie in the car and Andrew told me he wished he had that on tape. Pretty funny. I never got my cookie, but more than made up for it when we got home.

Yesterday we were up early to hit the road. We made a couple stops. One for breakfast at this cute little place called Q-Town Café in Quartzsite.

IMG_5479IMG_5474IMG_5476

They may not have had the fanciest coffee mugs, but they had some hot sauce for me.

2012-10-28 11.03.14

Speaking of hot sauce, our next stop was this little place.

2012-10-28 11.42.34

I really wanted these two things. Some spicy chocolate sauce and the spiciest sauce ever.

2012-10-28 11.30.122012-10-28 11.33.31

I settled on just a few others instead though.

Awesome.

We got smart on the way home and scoped out the Starbucks way in advance.

We were all clearly happy about that.

IMG_5480IMG_5484IMG_5491IMG_5492

And well, while I should’ve been writing my half marathon recap post for you all, I was doing a little reading instead.

2012-10-28 14.29.09IMG_5473

Sorry.

The night ended just as magnificently as the whole weekend had gone.

A new wine that was pretty darn tasty.

Some Papa John’s pizza.

And some creamy dreamy ice cream in an almost empty jar of Barney Butter with some dark chocolate frosting and a chocolate vitamuffin.

Yep. Magnificent.

Okay, I’ll be back soon. Thanks for letting me dump my weekend on you.

I owe you some good quality posts now, huh?

He he.

Tell me something fun you did this weekend. Then I won’t feel so selfish. Did you get some good quality family time?

Comments

Miz says:

THIS MAKES MY HEART SMILE.

misszippy says:

Unplugging to spend time with family is the best thing. We do it for a week every summer (no phones, no nothing!) and I come back more relaxed than I could ever imagine. You guys look great all gussied up for the wedding! Sounds/looks like a fantastic weekend.

stuft daddy needs to be on the blog more. i’ll come babysit so you guys can have more date nights – trade you for starbucks. deal?

Looks like a great weekend! I’m pretty sure Jonny would have asked me to take a pic too (for the first time ever upon request!) if he saw Charles Barkley in Target!

My husband and I also traveled this weekend for a wedding–over 10 hours in the car. BLEH. The wedding was a lot of fun though so that helped make up for it :)

Stacey says:

You rock my socks! I had papa johns this weekend too! Same as u, just w cheese! Love this blog don’t let your mama change your mind! Now go run some mikes for me too! And tell kitty and the kids I said hello from disney world!

You look incredible! Sounds like a fun weekend adventure with your family! We had a little get together with friends to carve pumpkins and eat chili! It was a really fun time! I’m so glad you got in some quality time! I hope you have an incredible week!

kalli says:

what a great weekend away! love your sunglasses and dress-so pretty! i just got that wine too and love it :)

This is one of my favorite posts so far!!!

Just let me gush as to why…you are adorable in that orange dress!! Your arms make me want to lift weights right now!! You totally made me LAUGH OUT LOUD when I saw how cool you and Stuft Daddy really are with his poor shoes!!! (The best!) Then heading to Target to get a new pair all gussied up…too bad you didn’t see Sir Charles then ….

You look like you are soooo enjoying your family time (which is what you have been trying to do more of lately right? Success!!)

Only ?….no burnt food?? hahaha!

Looks like an awesome time – and you all looked great, especially that color looks fab on you. I used to live in Havasu!

Jessica T says:

Your weekend sounds great! How awesome is it to run into a celebrity at Target. We were sick at our house. I have bronchitis and William has had a fever since Saturday afternoon. Hopefully we will kick this sickness and see you on Tuesday.

Samantha says:

What a cool account. I have only been through AZ once but it was pretty. It looks like it was a lovely wedding and you all looked absolutely great! On to a new week…it is pouring rain up here, so no complaining about your heat and sun. :)

Love the family and condiment pics as usual! Charles Barkley played for Auburn, where I went to college! I used to love seeing him around town when he goes there for games.

Awww, so fun, especially after you’ve been traveling! I caught up with fam this weekend too & took my 89-year-old Nana grocery shopping, hilarious!

Sara Grambusch says:

You have some great pictures in here! I’m so glad you had a rejuvenating family weekend! :)

Anna W. says:

What fun! I especially LOVE your orange dress and the boys’ Risky Business moves ;)

Janet says:

SO FUN! Thanks for sharing your adventure! I love AZ, the pics of your little dancers and especially A’s shoe mishap! Glad you had fun- you soooooo deserve it, and your orange dress looked spectacular on you!!! I had a little time to myself, a rarity, to finish a post- and our family took a bunch of political advertisement signs from a big street corner and put them ALL on a friend’s yard! THAT was fun!
    Are you doing the Color Run this weekend? Have a great week!

Bridget says:

Cuuuuuuuuuuute pics!!!!

Subway is about the only “fast food” stop we make on road trips b/c I’ll bring along a protein and toss it on the salad. And you always crack me up with your pics and comments. Your boys are just too cute.

What a fun weekend! You look beautiful, Kristen….love the Orange!

Kerri says:

We had a family vacay this weekend, too! All 6 of us crammed into a (very nice) hotel room so I could run the Life Without Limits Half Marathon in Florence, Alabama! I PR’d and got first place in my age group. The twins were more excited about the indoor pool than my trophy though. Go figure.

aleesha says:

Awe…the whole family looks so nice all dressed up. Looks like such a nice family weekend of fun. Love the part about not telling everyone about leaving town, because you didn’t want anyone to steal “Kitty”! That is soooo cute. Love your blog. XO

Lisa says:

Your whole family is so beautiful! I’m happy you got the chance to go away with everyone! It looks like such a wonderful time together! I’m glad you took some time away from the blog, and spent it with the fam!!

Stacey says:

Looks like so much fun!! And your arms are AMAZING!!! I love Charles Barkley and would have totally stop for a chat! Awesome.

lindsay says:

these are my favorite posts, the family posts. Such love.

I love that you enjoyed your weekend away from the tech world. I also love barney butter. This weekend was packed for me! I ran a Zombie Survival Dash 5k – it was crazzzzzy!

Liz Anglin says:

Showed my hubby the Charles pic and he was super impressed, he is also not a Target fan but he may be more willing after seeing that pic, thanks ;) .
    Love your adorable family pics, looks like a fun adventure. I cant quite believe you got 11 miles in, I’m lucky to get 4.5 on the hotel treadmill on family trips (but it probably takes me just as long)!
    Great to see you today too! :)

Janae@hungryrunnergirl says:

LOVED every single picture. You look incredible in that dress. Your boys are so stinkin cute! I can’t wait for the 1/2 recap where you ran so crazy fast! Come back up north and hang out with me.

It looks like you had a great weekend! That is awesome that you met Charles, too. I love that everyone was happy with Starbucks!! I can SO relate!

elizabeth says:

i love “real life” posts! you look beautiful in those wedding pics-love the dress! You should’ve asked Charles all about Auburn, he’s a grad ya know. :) glad yall had a good trip-and glad you indulged a bit.

Sarah L says:

Your weekend looks so fun!! And you look amazing in that dress. :)
    We went to DC for the Marine Corps Marathon – my first 26.2! Loved it. And then got stuck in DC with Superstorm Sandy. Home safe & sound now!
    You mentioned your mom not being a fan of marathoning/blogging/career path. My mom is also none too thrilled about my love of running and doesn’t get the whole race thing. I don’t want to step into too personal of ground, but I am curious to hear how you’ve navigated that with such confidence & passion for what you do!