A Little Sweetness On The Go

Hi friends!

I’m attempting an afternoon post during naps. I’m brave, aren’t I?

Today’s workout so far:

4 mile treadmill run

Taught a 45 minute BOSU Blast class

643884_484362364937485_1569181172_n

Yeah, that’s right, I’m sporting my Reebok Get After it Tee in honor of the giveaway today. Check it out here. I’ve got some of these cool shirts for you!

Okay, so I know I’ve been talking about giving up artificial sweeteners for a bit now. I’m still not sure if I’m ready for that. Sometimes I just need a little sweetener in my life.

Sometimes I also need a little STUFT protein crispy treat with some Naturally More, coconut cookie dough crumble and some defrosted berries.

Why yes, that just happened a few minutes ago.

I’m trying to take baby steps though and attempting to limit my intake. Sometimes though I also just need a little something something in my café Americano or my coffee.

I have to admit it chaps my hide when I’m in a restaurant or somewhere and I find myself without any sweetener on hand. I won’t use aspartame, so I usually have some Splenda or Stevia packets hiding somewhere in my purse in case of emergencies.

I was recently sent these cool little Nevella To Go no calorie sweetener bottles to test out.

Aren’t they cute?

These new little Nevella To Go bottles come in three different flavors.

Monk Fruit To Go

Stevia To Go

Sucralose To Go

I’m not sure which one I like the best and I’ve actually put all of them to good use.

They all traveled with me to Pennsylvania last weekend.

I used the Sucralose one in my hotel made oatmeal.

Also inside the oatmeal was some PB2, GNC vanilla egg protein powder and a CocoaVia unsweetened dark chocolate packet.

At home I used the Monk Fruit instead of liquid stevia in my coconut cookie dough crumble.

It turned out pretty darn good.

As far as taking it on the go, the little bottle is pretty convenient as it’s much easier to find in my ginormous purse than some Stevia packets. I also like that you really don’t need to do much mixing when adding it to beverages.

One warning though- you really only need a little squirt. I made the mistake the first time of adding a bit too much. A little goes a long way friends.

I even had one stashed in my purse for our little family trip this past weekend. I whipped that baby out at our breakfast stop and added a little to my “gourmet” coffee.

IMG_54772012-10-28 10.40.25

Um, yeah, I needed that coffee in the worst way. How tired can I look? Ha.

2012-10-28 10.39.42

I offered some to STUFT Daddy, but he went for the real thing instead. Go figure.

I do really like that the little bottles fit perfectly in my purse and don’t cause a big mess trying to add a little sweetness quickly on the go. It’s much easier than whipping out a packet or two and having to rip open, empty, stir, etc.

Oh man, I hope I’m not alone here on not being able to entirely give up artificial sweetener just yet. I still want to take baby steps, but for now I may be keeping one of these little calorie and carbohydrate free guys in my purse just in case.

Do any of you use a little sweetener sometimes? I hope some of you do or else I’m going to feel guilty. If so, what’s your favorite non calorie sweetener? What do you use on the go?

*This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Nevella. The opinions and text are all mine.

Comments

Jess says:

I honestly don’t see a problem with sweeteners like Stevia and Truvia – why are you trying to give them up? Of all the ‘poisons’ we could choose, I think the odd artificial sweetener in a day is a pretty minor issue in the grander scheme of things.

You look amazing, you run fast and hard. And I think you’ve more than earned that coffee, sweetened or otherwise! I really look up to and admire you!

Jess- I kind of feel the same way. There could be WAY worse things to indulge on, etc. Sometimes I have the tendency to overdo it though, so I’m trying to be more conscious about it.

Stevia all the way here my friend. I don’t leave home without it.

they do look cute and handy…because I am so going for the cute look in sweeteners. ha! ;-)

I love stevia, but I have been dying to try monk fruit!

I use stevia every once in a while but I usually prefer a little honey or maple syrup!!

Linda says:

Truvia in my very addicting unsweetened almond milk cappuccinos….with cinnamon and some dark chocolate powder. That’s about all I use it for. Sometimes I will add a little honey to my tea. Oh, and that PB2 with oatmeal is just perfect!! Had some for breakfast this morning with half a banana, almond milk and cinnamon. I will have to add protein powder next time.

Jill Morris says:

I’m not even going to confess how many times a day I use Truvia. Eek! Hope it’s not too terrible for me! I know you mentioned before that you thought the artificial sweeteners made you cranky…that would explain some things over here :)

Morgan says:

I am currently addicted to NOW foods french vanilla stevia drops! Coffee, tea, Greek yogurt, almond milk ice cream…..

Fiona M says:

Hi Kristin, love your blog, and your lovely toned arms and legs ;-) Just wanted to ask why you don’t use natural sweeteners like honey/agave/coconut palm sugar/maple syrup? You clearly do a huge amount of working out so those calories would burn off you instantly, and you are already so awesomely super lean. I on the other hand probs use too much honey/maple etc etc, and this post this morning actually made me sub half of my honey with stevia in my morning protein microwave muffin, and it was actually fine, I was expecting some horrid bitter aftertaste, but it was good.

Hi Fiona! good question. I actually keep thinking I want to sub in regular honey or molasses for some of the artificial stuff. I guess I’m just so used to it. I should go half and half like you!!!! :)

Carli says:

Since I don’t drink coffee and I only drink tea sometimes, I don’t really have a need for a sweetener that often. I do have Stevia packets though. I don’t really care for those other things that come in packets.

Susi Hansen says:

Hi Kristen–I usually use Splenda-I am amazed how many places do not have it handy!! I love agave nectar! I have seen the new one made by Slenda I think–Nutresse?? Its supposed to be all natural. I gots to get my sweet on sometimes!!