Friday News Flash

Well, I started writing my recap from the Runner’s World Half Marathon, but after two sentences I got distracted searching for how many extra calories you burn while running with a stroller. Don’t even ask why. It’s late.

Actually, the boys and I went on a little 3 mile run earlier and it got me thinking.

photo

Here is what I found on my search.

How to Calculate Calories Burned Running With a Jogging Stroller

According to this article on www.livestrong.com and my calculations with this calories burned calculator, if I ran 6 mph for 60 minutes I would burn an additional 133 calories per hour pushing the stroller. I’m not sure how accurate that is, but that’s quite a bit. It didn’t even take into account the fact that I push a double stroller.

So, in my book my 3 miles today counted for 5 instead. That sounds about right doesn’t it?

I also taught a couple classes at the gym tonight.

photo

Ugh. Looking a little tired.

Before the gym I made the most fabulous bowl of sweet spaghetti squash for my afternoon snack.

photo

It doesn’t look that great, but it was. I added some cinnamon, coconut oil, PB2, Naturally More, ice cream dream protein frosting and blueberry jam. Mmmm……

It’s a good thing I stocked up on spaghetti squash because this will be happening again very soon.

I can’t remember the last time I really sat and read a magazine or a book. I have a bazillion. I just don’t have time to really read them. Thanks to the wonderful STUFT Daddy and the long drive from our first family trip, I actually got to thumb through a couple of fun things.

What’s the deal with this Emily stuff? Is the engagement off? I’m so out of it. In fact, I’m pretty sure I still have episodes of The Bachelor Pad on DVR that I haven’t watched yet, but refuse to erase. Dumb.

I found quite a bit of good information in Self Magazine so I obviously made it my job to take pictures of some stuff I wanted to share. I’m sure that wasn’t annoying to everyone else in the car at all.

I don’t know about you, but I’m a stress eater. When I’m overwhelmed or anxious I’m always hungry and craving serious sweets and carbs. At least there’s a scientific reason why.

Dang, I really need to add some yoga into my life.

No wonder it’s harder at the end of the day to resist temptation.

Hey, 20 minutes a day is all it takes to start reaping some of the benefits of exercise. Just move when you can. You’ll be happier.

All these new Paleo recipes and books that are out now are all about eating healthy fats.

I’ve been trying to add more healthy fats in my diet lately. My current favorites are coconut oil, Artisana cocoa bliss and pretty much any kind of nut butter I can get my hands on. Seriously though, I can totally tell when I don’t eat enough fat. I’m one crabby mama.

Make sure you’re getting the right kind of fat though. They say NOT to have trans fat. It is the worst kind for you. If something has “partially hydrogenated” turn away. No surprise it’s mostly found in packaged foods.

Not like you need another reason to stay away from packaged goodies, but they might create wrinkles.

Dang, I really should have reread these before I got into all the candy last night. Beavis.

Oh well, the only thing I can do is make a promise to myself to be more mindful of what I put in my body this month.

I’m going to try my best to stay away from packaged, processed foods. I usually do, but stress, travel and sleep deprivation have gotten the best of me as of late. Not good.

Time to kick those to the curb.

Let’s kick processed foods, stress and sleep deprivation to the curb. (I’m still not quite ready to give up all artificial sweeteners just yet.)

Who’s with me?

This month is about priorities, finally getting to those notebooks, planning some healthy family meals, getting organized and quality sleep.

Like now.

I’m hitting the sack.

Have any goals for this month?

Have a favorite magazine?

Want to send me your old issues of US Weekly?

Kidding.

Oh, wait, just because it will be Flat Kitty Friday by the time to read this and I haven’t taken any good pictures lately with that guy, here’s an awesome picture Julian posted on my Facebook page.

image_1350237235992788

Ha ha.

Thanks Julian!

Comments

My favorite magazines are Women’s Health and Oxygen…I feel like I rarely get to just sit down and read them either–it feels like such an indulgence when I do!

Becky Przy says:

Have a fabulous Friday Kristen! I have a few goals this month: Keeping my exercise easy for another month (due to some health reasons) which is making me a little crazy. Keep my night-time grazing to a minimum (huge stress/emotional eater). Spend more time with the kiddo and husband.

Hi Becky!!!! So nice to see a comment from you. I’ve missed you. :) Oh man, I bet it’s hard keeping exercise easy. Sooooo worth it though to stay healthy, yes? Will keep you in my thoughts. Oh and I’m with you on the stress/emotional eater thing. Bleh. No more late night snacking for me either.

Jess says:

Well, I wish I looked as good as you do when stress eating! Perhaps my problem is that I am always stressed by the tiniest things, therefore my episodes of stress eating are exponentially higher. But if I was as lean and ripped as you I honestly don’t think I’d care how often I stress ate!

That spaghetti sqaush snack looks unreal – I could eat that for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Samantha says:

“Well, I wish I looked as good as you do when stress eating!” – many times have I had that same thought! LOL :)

PS. I like your reasoning.

Jess- I pretty much do eat that spaghetti squash for any meal of the day. Ha ha. Just depends on when the mood strikes. :) I get stressed by tiny things too. I wish I didn’t. Enjoy your weekend!

That last pic is hilarious! Can’t wait for your recap! I love coconut and nut/seed butters….so glad they’re good for you. Us weekly is pretty good, but my favorite magazines are runners world, cooking light, and people.

I totally believe you’re burning more calories pushing those 2 boys around in that stroller! I don’t even want to know how many you burned at the zoo LOL. Happy Friday!

Samantha says:

Good morning! I have long suspected that your double stroller might also be playing a role in your fabulous arms. :)

Are you an avocado eater? In my opinion, great source of fat. Thankfully, despite being in the generation that said fat was bad, I never got on that wagon. Much to my sisters’ horror when I freak out and announce “I need fat!” Let me tell you, we crave the sugar, but it is the fat that sometimes brings an epic freakout back under control.

Hang in there. I wish I could figure out lower stress priorities, but life happens too darn fast!

Funny, I can’t eat too much avocado. My body does not like it for some reason. I do love them though. I’m going to start announcing that I need fat and see what the family does. Ha. Have a wonderful weekend Samantha!

misszippy says:

So I’m now wondering if I can talk my 11-yr old into sitting in the jogger and letting me push him? Think of the calories I could burn!

My favorite is probably Self. I have this issue sitting on the coffee table right now….if only I could find time to read it!! My emotional eating has gotten harder and harder to control lately. I have a really (for lack of a better word) SUCKY work environment and sometimes get home and find myself binging on the most unhealthy stuff! My big goal this month is to prepare for the week better as far as meals go, so I don’t eat popcorn and peanut butter for dinner again!

Adrienne- so sorry about your work environment. That’s just not fun. I do the same thing though when there are other things going on in my life I can’t control. I hate it. Let’s prepare for the week together, yes? :) Have a great weekend!

Carli says:

I’m with you! How are you holding me accountable though? Haha!

Goals: 12 minute mile.

Mag: Fitness RX

No US Weekly here but I did just get a free subscription to People Style Watch. Pretty excited about that. I haven’t read Self in a long time but I have a freebie subscription to Shape and it’s pretty okay.

You’ve got that 12 minute mile lady! :) I got People Style Watch for a bit. It made me want too many things though. Ha ha. Hmm.. how am I holding you accountable? We better figure that one out. Ha.

Lisa says:

Ha ha. Kitty looks amazing as a blonde. Hey, I think your 3 miler totally counts as more than 5…especially pushing 2 toddlers! I like reading the tips in magazines, but try not to get too obsessed with them. Sometimes they are just ridiculous. I do agree on the deep breathing though! You should try meditation…if that’s possible;) I swear even if I get in 5 minutes, I feel a TON better! I can’t do yoga, but meditation really changed my stress around. Well, mostly. Mmm…that spaghetti squash looks good! And yah, I definitely need to sleep more…I always suck with that one and I’m always saying I need more sleep…oopsy

Lisa- Oh my, I KNOW! I need to do some relaxation. And yes, magazines can be totally overwhelming. I always want too many things and get overloaded with things I “should” be doing. maybe it’s better I don’t have time to read them. Ha. Have a wonderful weekend!!!!!

Janet says:

Thanks for the awesome tips and the hilarious surprise at the end of your post! Kitty joined the Beatles, he’s now the “blonde” one!!! LOL!
    Have a great weekend!

Sara Grambusch says:

Yeah apparently Emily and Jef are over. I pretty much love Jef so I might need to track him down and let him know it’s gonna be okay ;)
    Ohhh Kitty looks rockin’!

elizabeth says:

yes, Emily and Jef are over. Would love to know the real scoop. Thanks for sharing the SELF tips. i don’t get that one anymore. I get too many others: cooking light, garden and gun, southern living, fitness, runners world. yep. way too many magazines.

If you hear the real scoop, you better fill me in. Um, and “garden and gun”??? That’s a magazine??? I laughed out loud when I read that. Hugs friend. Have a great weekend!

I’m totally a stress eater. This whole week with our friend Hurricane Sandy has meant that I’ve eaten so much ridiculous stuff that I would never normally go near. That and Halloween. It’s been stellar. I’m with you on your focus for the month – it’s all about priorities. I’m slowly getting better (I think?) but need to keep plugging away. Enjoy the weekend with your adorable little boys.

Ashley says:

It’s a double stroller so it would probably actually count as around 6 miles, well done! I struggle to run that with my single stroller.