Saturday Snapshots

I have just a few random things worth sharing this fine Saturday evening. Hope you don’t mind.

I attempted a sweet spaghetti squash pancake yesterday. It was not successful.

I added a lot of PB2, cinnamon, Naturally More, coconut oil and sugar free maple syrup to help it out a bit.

It tasted good, but was not the best pre run meal. really, not the best at all.

Yesterday’s workout:

10 mile treadmill run at the gym

A LONG trip to Costco which included standing in the return line for quite awhile to return peanut butter.

2012-11-02 13.19.25

The wait was worth it. We got $9.99 back and put it towards our pretty hefty bill. By the way, I bet pushing that Costco cart burns more calories than pushing a stroller. Don’t you think?

Want to see my special skill?

2012-11-02 14.37.56

Yep. That was fun. I even picked up a couple passengers for the front seat.

2012-11-02 14.38.47

Ha ha.

After all that excitement, the boys wouldn’t nap. I got desperate for a pick me up and created this beauty.

2012-11-02 16.40.59

A microwaved sweet potato topped with cinnamon, Trader Joe’s pumpkin pie spice, almond butter and my favorite cocoa powder mixed with coconut butter to make that dark chocolate goodness.

It was divine.

STUFT Daddy and I had date night last night so I dusted off the crockpot for the occasion. I made some crockpot chicken and mushroom pasta

I’m pretty sure the last time I used my crockpot was when I posted the recipe for this. Oops.

Instead of whatever cheap whole grain penne I could find, I used a special new pasta that was sent over from Mara’s Pasta.

Look at this cute little box we got.

I cooked up the Farfalle.

IMG_5565IMG_5563IMG_5573

I have to say, this pasta was good and felt gourmet. I usually just buy whatever is on sale, but this was pretty darn tasty. Definitely “date night” worthy.

The boys even gobbled it up.

No pictures of the burnt veggies that accompanied it or my favorite wine that also was part of the evening. My phone and camera were in the back room once we put the boys to bed. That’s part of the date night rules around here.

This morning I was greeted by a not to enthusiastic Kitty

2012-11-02 19.03.09

and a little “Christmas decorating” that Joaquin had done.

2012-11-02 18.33.06

I bet you can find these “decorations” somewhere close by if you want to copy us.

I taught boot camp, scarfed down a Cappuccino Larabar and banana for a quick snack

2012-11-03 09.11.04

and then went for a 16 mile run.

I tried out a pair of these Swiftwick socks we got from the Runner’s World Festival

2012-11-03 09.46.492012-11-03 09.47.142012-11-03 09.48.13

The ones we got were the Aspire Zero ones. Supposedly you can wear these socks for a week and they won’t stink. I’m not about to try that though. I did notice that they didn’t seem as gross or sweaty after my run as my other no show Road Runner Sports socks. That was pretty cool. I’m not sure how much of the compression I felt in my foot so I’ll have to wear them again to test.

I do have to admit that I’m a little biased when it comes to socks. My loyalty is with Pro Compression. I love their compression socks. I really want to try out the Pro Compression low trainers for days when I don’t want a full calf sock. I better get on that.

I was slow and not very motivated, but it was the only chance I had to go for a long run so had to take advantage. I told myself I was going to run 16 miles. I ran 8 miles and just when I was feeling like I was over it I found this cute little path.

2012-11-03 11.30.46

I love it when that happens. I also love my Mizuno Inspires that are my go to long run shoes.

2012-11-03 11.31.43

2012-11-03 12.46.262012-11-03 12.51.47

I was rocking my Handful bra, my Halo hat, my Yurbuds and my fuel belt today. I thought I was cool.

Once I got home and showered I recovered a little like this.

Comfy clothes.

Loads of cinnamon roasted kabocha squash.

Some just plain.

Some all doctored up with low calorie peanut butter frosting, cocoa powder mixed with coconut butter and Naturally More peanut butter.

I always leave the pieces with the most peanut butter and chocolate goodness for the last couple of bites.

Does anyone else do that?

My entire kabocha squash (yes, I ate the whole thing) was enjoyed with a café Americano

while sporting these.

Oops. That’s all I’ve got for now.

The boys are up so we’re off to “Santa’s house” (the mall) to stock up on some Bath and Body Works hand soaps. I think they’re 6 for $20 right now.

Here’s a couple of other things to leave you with.

My favorite SunButter is giving away FREE sample packs and a coupon just for leaving a comment on their blog. How cool is that?

Click here if you’re interested.

Also, my favorite granola company Love Grown Foods has a brand spanking new product coming out later this month. They’ve got a little sneak peak here and will be posting updates on their Facebook page (including chances to win some free products). I can’t wait for it!

Hope you’re having a great weekend!

What are you up to?

Oh and here’s STUFT Daddy’s picture for the day.

These birds were in the tree by our patio. If anyone knows what they are, Andrew would be really impressed.

Comments

Sara Grambusch says:

The armpit AND the feet?? Win win. I would literally die if I ate an entire kabocha. You are made of steel. Oh how are you liking the Yurbuds? Great right? I go all upside-down doing whatever crazy lifting stuff at the gym and they never move!
    Also, those are my kind of Christmas decorations. I’m putting one up. ;)

I go home and eat and shower after boot camp…but you run 16 miles…again…amazing!

-I entered to get a free sample Sunbutter…thanks!
    -A Costco opens up in our city in a couple of weeks and my husband and I are still trying to decide if it’ll be worth getting a membership to or not. We eat mostly organic food–does Costco sell organic produce??
    (sorry if that has a super obvious answer but I’ve never been to a Costco before!)

Liz Anglin says:

You totally inspired me with all your squash ideas so Bella and I picked up a spagetti squash today at TJ’s, hopefully I won’t eat it all in one sitting like someone I know ;) . Your runs are so crazy long and those socks are pretty awesome too! So funny you went to “Santa’s house”, Bella seriously believes he and the Easter Bunny live there year round and it freaks her out a bit (she is alternately fascinated and terrified)! Tell the boys Hi for us!

There’s a new three story Target at “Santa’s House”. You’ll need to make the trip out to check it out. Let me know if you try the spaghetti squash. Mmm…… not a good idea right before Y40X or anything though. LOL.

Jessica T says:

I’m sorry I missed boot camp today, hopefully I can get rid of this yucky sickness and make it back. Next time you go to Costco to do a big shopping trip- ditch the stroller first!

Jess says:

I am blessed to have found someone else who loves squash as much as I do ;) I have eaten entire Kabochas by myself before too – they’re too good not to! Sadly my stomach is not as strong as yours though so I have to keep my squash-eating under control *sniff*.

You’re a running machine! May I ask if you do speedwork on the TM? I just noticed that your long runs are at a much slower pace than your races – I’m always being told not to feel bad for doing my longer runs slow, but I get worried about underperforming when racing as a result. But you’re much faster than me, so I thought I’d ask an expert!

Jess- I don’t do speed work on the TM although I really should. My long runs are always slow- traffic lights, water breaks, stopping to take pictures, etc. I was told it doesn’t matter if you go slow for long runs either. I’m no expert. I really think it’s just genetic that I can race as fast as I do without really doing the tempo runs and speed work. Do you do speed work?

• Jess says:

Well, yes and no! I certainly have no science behind my running, but for shorter runs I do try to push and run as fast as I can, whereas for long runs I relax a bit more. Mid-distances I’ll do a warm-up, some faster miles (around the 7:30-7:50 mark) and a cool-down. But no proper tempos/800s/yassos or whatever they’re called. I find your blog so refreshing because you’re so fast but you run intuitively rather than micro-managing everything. I’m not sociable enough for a running club and not keen on running track – I just want to run for ‘me’ time and it’s good to know it is possible to do well without being so…overly intense, perhaps, about training. Mind you, running with your stroller must be an incredibly hard workout and then when you’re without it you must be positively flying along!

Oh, and also from your latest post I love that you eat Better N PB – I love the stuff but a lot of people are quite snobby about it and act like it’s a devil food or something. Thanks for keeping things real on the food and running front :)

lindsay says:

man that is one loaded van! i love it! and those concoctions, um, yum. So clever. remind me to come run with you too, k?

Becky Przy says:

I always save the best bites for last! It sounds like your boys are already in the Christmas spirit;-)
    That running path looks awesome! I run pretty much on the same route all the time, so I told myself when I start running again I am going to switch it up and run other directions or drive a short way to switch it up a bit.

How are the cappuccino lara bars? I asked the husband about the birds–no luck. He asked if they were from a different country;-)

Becky- I’ve had to change up my running route and it’s made such a difference in helping get me motivated. :) That was the first cappuccino Larabar I’ve had- it was pretty darn tasty. And yes, Andrew says they’re from a different country. He was impressed. :)

Linda says:

Been loving my acorn squash and spaghetti squash! Need to find Kabocha squash now. Your recipes sound so good!!!

Miz says:

Annnd Ive never eaten acorn squash!!