Third Time is a Charm- Silver Strand Half Marathon Recap

Holy smokes friends. What was probably one heck of a silly idea a couple of days ago actually turned out to be pretty darn fun this morning. What do you know? Third time is a charm I guess. Yeah, that’s right, this is the third time the boys and I have run this particular half marathon together. We’ve even gotten a little bit faster each time.

Last year we ran this exact same race for a very special cause. I still get choked up thinking about it and it will always have a special place in my heart. If you want to read that recap and about our amazing friend Amelia here it is.

Silver Strand Half Marathon for Amelia

This year we ran it just for fun.

Okay, so last night I had my usual pre race meal. Some kind of homemade cheese less whole wheat pizza and roasted kale salad.

Going for three sliced jalapeños instead of just two in the mix was not the best decision, but sometimes I just can’t help myself. I just don’t learn.

When I was getting things ready I couldn’t decide what outfit to wear, so I enlisted some help on Facebook and Instagram.

222538_488725051167883_786608763_n

You all pulled through for me by the way and I went with purple.

This morning I still didn’t know for sure if I was going to run with the stroller or not. We had a really rough night around here. I’m talking rough. We were up every hour, the boys were crying in their big boy beds, no one wanted to sleep, everyone needed more water and had to go pee pee every 30 minutes or so, etc.

It wasn’t pretty. This morning wasn’t either actually as we were all still a bit grumpy.

Nothing a little coffee, some breakfast and a morning greeting from Kitty couldn’t fix though.

2012-11-11 06.21.55

I had Coach’s Oats, chia, PB2 and 1/2 a banana in my little cup there if you care.

And yes, I was in fact wearing my new Reebok jacket for the second day in a row. I love that thing.

The whole family was going to the race today. I was asked multiple times if I really wanted to take the stroller. I think someone was hoping I would finally cave and say no, but my answer was always the same- yes, just in case.

So we took it.

2012-11-11 06.26.292012-11-11 06.26.50

I’m more of an observer when it comes to that kind of stuff. I let the men do their thing and take pictures to annoy them.

The car ride was luxurious as usual.

2012-11-11 06.29.05

We all made sure to fuel up with some bananas.

2012-11-11 06.32.00

The race start was at Sunset Park in Coronado. I don’t know how he did it, but Papap found a cool little drop off spot super close to the starting line. He rocks. We unloaded the stroller and made our way.

2012-11-11 07.19.00

Since we were running short on time, I braved the long port a potty line while Grandma D took the boys on the side of the road to use their travel potty. Heck yeah, I had that thing in the stroller and heck yeah, you do what you got to do.

We made it to the start line just in time to ditch the jacket and take one more picture.

2012-11-11 07.33.32

How freaking excited did everyone look?

Some nice man let me sneak right in front of him at the start. That was so key. If I don’t start up front I tend to make a lot of people really unhappy when I say “excuse me” and then try to maneuver around them with the BOB.

We passed the family and Mom said the same exact thing she said to me last year when we ran by, “The sun is in their eyes.” Um, thank you?

Hey look, Andrew even managed to get a couple action shots of us.

IMG_5710IMG_5711IMG_5712

Oh wait, the sun was really in their eyes at the start wasn’t it? I can assure you it wasn’t like that the entire race and they did both pull their shades down later.

Andrew wasn’t the only one getting some action shots.

That’s right, I took a few pictures on the course today.

2012-11-11 07.43.352012-11-11 07.45.01

We even had a nice running friend, Sonya take a picture for us.

2012-11-11 07.45.15

All smiles at mile 1 you know.

The course was flat and fast, however it didn’t stop me from thinking that this was not the best idea right around here.

2012-11-11 07.58.44

yeah, that’s right, mile 3 people. I was already hurting.

2012-11-11 07.52.21

The run is a point to point from the park in Coronado along Silver Strand Beach to Imperial Beach. So the scenery is pretty and you’re along the water for pretty much the entire race.

2012-11-11 08.10.512012-11-11 08.11.052012-11-11 08.17.46

Umm…. so unflattering. That ambulance may have been there just for me after seeing my face like this. Ha ha.

The last few miles are through a residential area in Imperial Beach

2012-11-11 08.43.42

and then on the military base.

2012-11-11 08.47.342012-11-11 08.47.47

Watch out guy, we’re going to get you.

Joaquin did a really great job cheering others on. I lost count of how many times he said “Good job guy.” Funny stuff.

While Joaquin cheered people on, Judah started requesting that we go to Starbucks afterwards for some soy milk. My kind of guy.

Random things I did not appreciate on the course today:

A man with a mohawk singing at the top of his lungs while racing. Really? Come on.

The wind that we were running against from about mile 5 to mile 9 or so. Lame sauce.

The little hill at mile 10 that wasn’t that bad, but just not fun with the 100 plus pound stroller.

The fact that Joaquin told me he had to go “pee pee’ at mile 11. The guy refuses to tell me any other time, but today of all days he wanted to go. Since I’m going for the Mom of the Year award and all, I decided to speed up instead of stopping. Nice.

I don’t even want to get into the trouble Siri was giving me. She wouldn’t let me voice text Andrew to tell him when we’d be finishing. She was of no help. I was forced to make an actual phone call at mile 12 to tell him we’d be done in approximately 7 minutes.

His response, “We haven’t even gotten our breakfast yet.”

Well, pretty soon we were at mile 13. It actually seemed to go pretty fast, but I think that’s just because I’ve been running longer distances lately.

2012-11-11 09.13.13

Oh man, it’s so fun when you can finally see that finish line.

2012-11-11 09.13.43IMG_5716

What a guy, STUFT Daddy stepped away from breakfast for a few minutes to get some pictures for me.

Hey hey, we made it without any stops and we all got medals!

Thanks Andrew for catching the moment!

2012-11-11 09.15.54

He he.

2012-11-11 09.14.24image

That’s a little small to read, but I got 10th place in my age group out of 244 and 184 overall out of 2855.

Official finish time- 1:37:42.

7:28 pace

There really should be some sort of special thing to take into account the extra weight I was pushing, don’t you think? A 32 pound toddler, a 36 pound toddler and a 23 pound stroller. That’s a pretty big load.

Oh well. We had fun.

I’ll take it.

Wait, we’ll take it.

2012-11-11 09.14.35

Racing outfit: Handful tank, Leopard print skirt from Running Skirts, Pro Compression socks and of course the only shoe I race in, my Mizuno Elixirs.

Oh, and boys made sure to wear their special Reebok “workout shoes”. By the way, we discovered today that those awesome Mini Real Flex Transition 2.0 shoes glow in the dark. Pretty darn cool.

2012-11-11 09.35.24

The really good thing about having the stroller at the finish line is being able to stock up on some goodies. They had muffins from Souplantation, juice boxes, Clif Luna Bars (you better believe I shoved at least 10 of those in the bottom of the stroller) and fruit.

2012-11-11 09.18.40

And hey, we even found my friend Mark and his son Cameron who do the race every year together also. They inline skate and they’re awesome.

2012-11-11 09.23.59

Since we had a little time to spare while everyone else finished their breakfast, we stopped at the Head North booth.

2012-11-11 09.31.22

The boys were happy with the selection of snacks they were giving out

2012-11-11 09.31.322012-11-11 09.31.36

(well, kind of)

while I was happy to sign this pledge to put the phone down and not text while driving.

2012-11-11 09.32.19

I think it’s a great pledge and I even got a cool shirt.

2012-11-11 09.34.11

We finally made our way to find out where everyone was. We made sure to give everyone enough time to finish his or her Bloody Mary and breakfast though. Aren’t we nice.

Oh hey, nice seeing you. Must have been a rough 2 hours.

2012-11-11 09.40.09

I wore out my welcome really quick by forcing everyone to take pictures.

IMG_5722IMG_5724IMG_5726IMG_5727IMG_5729

And….

we called it a day, or a morning rather.

Wouldn’t you know someone got all tangled in his medal

2012-11-11 09.41.07

and someone else was too tired to walk to the car.

2012-11-11 09.58.02

Hmmm…

I was the observer once again with the whole stroller strapping thing.

2012-11-11 10.04.38

You do not want to mess with that.

Once we got home I did my usual routine of showering, applying BioFreeze and putting on some comfy clothes and calf sleeves.

I tried out this new pair I just got with my argyles.

They changed them a bit and I feel like these really are the perfect fit. Not too long, not too short. I’m in love. Don’t mind Kitty’s backside in the picture. I guess he just loves them that much too.

I then ate an entire kabocha squash and a sweet potato. I cooked some egg whites in the squash with some spinach and chicken sausage on the side for my first course.

Then roasted the other half with roasted sweet potatoes (sweet style) and topped it all with a bunch of PB2, peanut butter and two ingredient dark chocolate frosting.

It was heaven.

And…….

I’m officially exhausted.

Phew.

2012-11-11 09.35.20IMG_5732

Another one in the books. Probably the last stroller race, which makes me a bit sad, so I’m going to drown my sorrows in some pizza and wine later this evening.

Oh, and is it National Sundae Day? I saw that somewhere. If it is, I need to know because we all better celebrate.

Happy Veteran’s Day everyone! I hope you had a wonderful weekend!

Comments

Carly says:

I don’t usually comment all that often on blogs, but I just had to say YOU ARE AMAZING!! That takes some real strength and determination to do something like that! You must have felt so awesome after finishing that half with your boys! What an example you are setting for them!
    (Also.. I am in love with your blog & your dedication to health and fitness!! So impressive)

JennyV says:

Wow. Wow. Wow!!! Seriously! You pushed that much weigt in a stroller and still held a killer pace. You’re simply one determined and hardworking lady!

Ali says:

Wow that’s such an amazing time – and with a stroller?!?! You’re a rockstar!!

Susan says:

You ran the race, with a double stroller, with two small people in said double stroller, on no sleep. Hats off to you. Big time!! Congrats!

That is amazing! You are awesome! I want to know how many people made comments about getting passed by a girl pushing a double jogging stroller??!! I can not believe your finish time with the boys! And the outfit is adorable!

Oh my lord Kristin! You are AMAZING! Hope you have an awesome recovery! How do you get the boys to stay put so long? My 1- gets bored after a bit. Total run buzz :(

You are inspiring and make me want to get out there!

Holy mackerel I am so impressed! When I struggle on my solo runs I think of runners like you who somehow run with strollers and still push themselves to go hard and run fast. Amazing.

Megan S. says:

Wow you are awesome! You beat my half-marathon time and I definitely ran without the extra little ones!! Have fun recovering and resting…I would feel SO beat

I bet you got first place in the stroller division! :) Nice job!

As you were passing people they must have been thinking….”She is AWESOME!”…..they just didn’t dare say it…you are awesomely amazing (but I have said that before).

Your purple looks great…the skirt is super cute! Any color would be fun to go with that….

Miz says:

oh wow.
    I get choked up just reading about it.

Katie H. says:

Holy moly. Wow. I can’t believe you can run a 1/2-marathon pushing a double stroller–and beat my time by 20 minutes! Ha! Awesome job. What a great role model you are for your boys, and what great memories you are creating :-)

Becky Przy says:

Awesome job Kristen! I can’t imagine running that far w/my single jogging stroller, let alone a double! Loved the recap too;-) I loved that you sped up at mile 11 vs stopping for a potty break–I would have done the exact same thing! I hope you have another fabulous staycation day.

Ok….do what???? You got a 1:37 WITH a double jog stroller? I couldn’t get a 1:37 all down hill! You are freaking amazing (or nuts either way teehee). You just always amaze me I swear!

That’s so cute that your boys got medals too!! And um WOW, pushing a stoller for a half marathon and keeping that pace? You are amazing.

misszippy says:

Just going on record to say it is ridiculous you are so fast pushing a double stroller! Holy smokes–you go!

Tiffany says:

7:28 pace with a stroller?!? I don’t even think I could do more than a mile at that pace. Your truly an inspiration to all.

Liz Anglin says:

You are so amazing! Judah and Joaquin are the first toddlers I know to finish a 1/2 marathon, they are such good boys (you stroller trained them well). Off to stroller jam, gonna miss you guys! :)

You are amazing – that pace + 100 pounds in the stroller!! I absolutely think you should have your own category. :)

Tracey says:

Pizza recipe…please!! :)

I think you most definitely deserve first place…I mean were were running for three people! Looks like you all had a blast!

Ahhh you are my hero! That is such an amazing time pushing a double stroller full o’ twins! Congrats!!!

Carli says:

At mile 10 Joaquin said he needed to potty. No mention of a potty break when you were done. These are important details! LOL!

Sounds like a lot of fun and a lot of different types of racers. And yes, they should have a stroller catagory with a minute shavedoff for every poundage over 50 or something like that.

Natalie @ freshlifefindings says:

I mean, you are basically my hero! I barely made it through my half and can’t imagine pushing two toddlers! You are insane in a great way and I’m so inspired by you!

You are amazing. Simply amazing. Awesome job!!

rachael says:

You are amazing! Double joggers scare me, I can believe you ran that fast with two good sized toddlers in one! Good job!

I’m exhausted just reading this post! CONGRATS on the race and time especially with all that extra weight you were pushing. High-Fives to strong, beautiful, and rock star woman! Hope you had a nice Monday!

Pretty sure it’s against the law to look that CUTE after a half marathon! ;-) Way to go lady!!!! :) :)

You are seriously such a rockstar!! Love it. Kabocha is amazing.

Rene' says:

All I can say is that you are amazing!

All I have to say is: You’e Superwoman.

Congratulations on such an amazing race, especially pushing all that weight! That’s seriously impressive. And, also impressive is that your adorable boys sit through 1:37 in the stroller!

I don’t know how you do it!! Another amazing race in the books… congrats, Kristin! And what is it with babies/toddlers and awful nights of sleep before a race? That happened to me so often in L’s first year.. not as much anymore, but ugh. Not fun.
    I am also so impressed that the boys will sit for an hour and a half for you. 45 minutes is about our limit, and that’s pushing it!!

You’re a machine! :) I don’t know what I like more, your leopard skirt or their kermie hoodies.

That’s an amazing finishing time with a very full stroller! Congrats!

You are my hero. Damn, that is speedy even without a stroller. I don’t know how you manage being so awesome but great job!!!

Niki Bailey says:

You are my HERO! I run my first half on November 24 and I only wish I could finish in 1:37! Hopefully I can work my way up to that finish time! I have only been running since March! You are awesome!

Amy says:

What an amazing accomplishment! You’re an animal!

Crystal says:

You are such a bad a$$!!!!

Just curious, do you eat cheese? If no, is it because of a dietary irritation/restriction or to maintain a more clean diet? I LOVE drooling over your food selections, but I can’t help but be a little sad for cheese-less pizza! =)

Hi Crystal- I stay away from cheese as much as possible. Not to be restrictive, but because of tummy issues associated with it. I miss it terribly, but my tummy is much happier.

Amazing. Utterly amazing. That is all I have to say. Oh and I love you and your boys =)

Kat says:

Wow you are super woman! My first half is Sunday, ill be sure to think of your stroller load if I get mental at all ;)

Kristen says:

As I was reading this all I could think is WOW…just WOW!!! You are amazing and when I grow up I want to be like you!!!! You amaze me…

Awesome race report too! Congrats to you and the boys!

elizabeth says:

um. seriously. 1:37 with the stroller. before i even got to the part that you joked about getting extra credit for pushing them, i was thinking the same thing. HOLY BAD*SS. and i love that they got medals too :) actually surprised they let you push them in a race?? i feel like most races won’t let strollers in. really cool that the boys could come along. i voted for purple. looks awesome! CONGRATS again!

Apryle says:

I ran the Silver Strand this year too and I saw you! I don’t know if you remember me giving you a shout out as you were starting mile 12ish and I was starting mile 10ish on the switch back part. I just had to give you a shout out. I was completely stunned to see someone that far ahead pushing a double jogging stroller. I push my 5 year old and 3 year old in my BOB to train a lot of the time and I know how hard it is. I know you are very health conscious, but as your kids get older and start to rebel against long stroller runs, never under estimate the power of the lollipop ;) Strapping a portable DVD player to the cupholder on the stroller with zip ties works pretty well too.
    You are AMAZING! Wishing you many more happy miles!

1. [...] A half marathon pushing a stroller. Bad-ass. —STUFT Mama [...]

2. [...] followed Stuft Mama‘s lead and cooked eggs into half a kabocha squash.  If you haven’t noticed, eggs and kabocha are two of my favorite foods, and when you cook [...]

3. [...] Jogging Stroller.  Enough said.   Have you read Stuft Mama’s accomplishments with the jogging stroller?  Jesus, the lady ran a faster half with her freaking [...]

4. [...] Read:  Just a general comment. I love reading Stuft Mama. This weekend she ran a half marathon pushing her twin boys in a stroller. I think it should count as a workout to read her workouts. I was pretty tired by the end of the [...]