Some Silky Experiments

Yesterday’s workout:

ran 9 miles-

4.5 miles on the treadmill followed by 4.5 miles with the darn heavy stroller

Why hello Monday morning.

Hello Harvey.

Yeah, that’s his name.

We read the whole book and got our little Elf on the Shelf named and ready last night. Let’s see if the boys remember this morning.

I got through a lot of laundry yesterday, but did not get to giving Kitty a bath like I had planned. It’s a good thing he doesn’t sit on the table while we eat lunch or anything. I mean, that would just be gross.

Joaquin informed me that Kitty was his very best friend. Judah later told me I was his best friend. Brownie points for both those guys.

Judah also told me we were having pizza for our family dinner after church last night. Conveniently, I couldn’t get pizza off my mind since I wrote that pizza post yesterday morning.

Unfortunately, when we stopped at Trader Joe’s to get a few things they were out of pizza dough. Yeah, none to be found anywhere. We made due with some Artisan bread, flatbreads and Flatout wraps and made a few extra portabella mushroom pizzas. Sorry, no pictures, the phone is away for family dinner time at my new job.

Oh my gosh, I made a few discoveries yesterday before dinner though.

Roasted kabocha squash goes really well with healthy cookie dough dip (that I hadn’t made in ages).

Why had I not thought of that before? I topped my dip with some vanilla protein frosting. Don’t mind the fancy toddler cup.

Another discovery was this fun little Silkology drink I whipped up to go with my fabulous lunch.

Silk is hosting this awesome Holiday Recipe Contest on their Facebook page. In addition to the contest, they have some fun Silkology:Winter drink recipes up too. I tried the Chocolate Monk one the other night.

It might look cute, but the modifications I made were a bit much. The original recipe uses their Silk Pure Almond Dark Chocolate almondmilk or Silk Chocolate soymilk and since I didn’t have either, I used my favorite cocoa powder to create my own dark chocolate cherry concoction. It just wasn’t the same.

So yesterday I felt like I had to redeem myself with a cold variation complete with some instant espresso in the mix. I’m pretty sure this little recipe is good for redemption.

Here’s what I came up with based on Silk’s Chocolate Monk recipe.

Chocolate Monka

Chocolate “Monka”

serves one

1 1/2 cups Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened Vanilla almondmilk

1-3 teaspoons instant espresso

2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder

2-3 fresh or frozen dark cherries

2 tablespoons sugar free almond or almond roca syrup (or two packets of sweetener of choice)

sprinkle of nutmeg

1 cup crushed ice

Blend all ingredients together in blender.

Here’s a picture of a few ingredients I used.

And hey, last night after our little family pizza affair I even tried it again hot. I got smart this time though and mixed 1/2 Silk Vanilla Light soymilk and 1/2 Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened Vanilla almondmilk together.

I put 1/2 a cup of each of the milks, 2 frozen cherries and a stevia packet in a glass measuring cup and microwaved them. Then I added some of dark cocoa powder and frothed it all together.

Love that little handheld frother by the way. Then I poured it in a cute Christmas mug just for kicks and sprinkled some nutmeg on the top.

Mmm… hmmm…… This time it was a winner.

It also went well with my little microwave muffin experiment

that I finally got to stay in the mug after a couple mishaps the past few nights.

2012-11-23 21.14.41

Ha ha.

Check out the Silk Holiday Recipe Contest. There are 3 different categories you can enter.  You can win a KitchenAide mixer and Silk for a YEAR.

That’s pretty darn fabulous.

Next post is about running. I’ve got to tell you about my coach and what he’s got me doing. I also have some new shoes to to show you AND some Mizuno shoes to GIVEAWAY!

Woot woot!

Have a great Monday.

Do you have a favorite holiday drink?

Or a favorite holiday mug that you get super excited to drink out of?

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.

Comments

Miz says:

Ive never ever ever ever silk’ed!!
    must.
    rectify.
    that.

I have yet to try a muffin in a mug….I may put that on my to do list this week….along with Christmas shopping, baking cookies, cleaning my pet stained carpets, and finally hanging some ornaments on our tree that has been up for 3 days….or I may just drink coffee and sit back and read my book. ;-)

Priorities.

My favorite holiday drink is definitely apple cider, which is good because it’s usually available from September to January or later :)

I love apple cider and of course, hot chocolate (using almond milk). So good!

Samantha says:

That Chocolate “Monka” recipe sounds good! I might even get frozen cherries to try it. I like the idea of heated. It is very cold out here right now.

Can’t wait to hear about the work you are doing with the coach!

Have a great day.

Aleesha says:

Love Kitty sitting on the table!

Our cats do that too. They would never miss dinner time…or lunch time. They don’t beg for food, they just want to sit there and keep us company.

elizabeth says:

i don’t have a holiday mug. I think i need one :) i love the holiday drinks at starbucks and hot chocolate. i had some in the keurig last night and it was actually good. love the elf on the shelf-one day i will hopefully get a chance to use it :)

I’m sorry again, but I laugh out loud every time I see that photo of the muffin or egg white that somehow jumps out of the mug. How the heck does that happen? ;) Favorite holiday drink would have to be probably a chocolate mint espresso mocha. I still have yet to treat myself to a red cup. Sheesh…what’s up with that? You still need to e-mail me your address! xoxo

morgan says:

my favorite holiday drink is white chocolate “mocha” with silk vanilla unsweetened milk, special dark cocoa powder & SF white chocolate syrup :) yum! I have to drink it in this oversized holiday mug (that holds way too much for one drink but I always have to fill it all the way!) with the word JOY all over it in red and green letters. it just doesn’t taste the same in any other mug! its weird how the cup can make the entire beverage…..

I LOVE oversized mugs!!!!! Tell me about the white chocolate syrup. Torani sugar free? I want to copy you (and I wish I had a cool mug like you).

• morgan says:

the mug is a family favorite- I think my aunt gave it to my mom years ago & I “borrowed” it once after a large turkey dinner when I was in dire need of caffine, she tries to take it back every year at the holidays claiming she needs it (it doesn’t fit under her Keurig though so really I need it more!)…the best part about odd family knick knacks are the kooky memories that go with them!
        The syrup is SF Torini- our local grocery store only carries the SF vanilla, chocolate and white chocolate syrups and it makes amazing stuff! I use it in my birthday cake flavored almond milk vitamix ice cream with a dash of cream of tartar and it has great flavor.

I have a confession to make: I’ve never tried Silk before (insert gasp). I think I’ll have to give it a try and see what all the hype’s about, haha! I love your detailed photos…I always forget to take pictures of my meals and recipes :(

1. [...] um, shall we call them “messes” inside the house. You don’t even want to know. And yeah, Harvey will not have a good report for Santa tonight. [...]