Excuse, Excuses and a New Microwave Muffin

Yesterday’s Workouts

Taught a bunch of classes

Ran 5.5 treadmill miles (One 3.5 mile run and one 2 mile run. I had to break it up since I couldn’t find time to actually get the 5 miles I was supposed to do at once. Oops.)

Well, I keep teasing about talking running, but I don’t have time this morning to really give you all the information on my new coach. I’m supposed to kick my own bootie today though with a little AT running workout so I’ll be sure to report afterwards. I’m not going to lie, I’m not looking forward to working out hard today.

Before I forget, my friend Elizabeth just recently posted her personal story of being attacked while running. She is brave woman to share her story and gives some great tips on running safety. I actually can’t get her story out of my head. Scary stuff. You can read her story here.

So……

I won’t list all my excuses for being a bad blogger and not writing about what I said I would. That would just waste time.

I will show you what my night at 10:30 pm looked like last night though.

I made a Flatout pizza and roasted brussel sprouts and broccoli on the side. I barely fit it all on one plate.

And instead of writing a blog post or getting work done I watched this.

It was the finals friends and it was fabulous!

This morning, my new supervisors actually let me sleep in a little. Then it took awhile to find our little friend Harvey.

photo

Hey, I think he might like wine.

Okay, so the ultimate breakfast salad might be making a bit of a comeback. I made it yesterday and subbed in a Fuji apple for the pear.

I forgot how good these are.

You see that little muffin there? Well, after a couple tries and a few microwave explosions, I finally got it down. It’s fabulous and I’m going to give you the recipe since a couple people asked for it yesterday after posting a picture on instagram. Ready?

This recipe is adapted from Sarena and her Vanilla Protein Microwave Cake. I think we feed off each other’s obsessions with microwave muffin making. Ha.

Oh friends, it’s just so good. I really am impressed with how great it comes out with just water. That’s all Sarena’s discovery. My quick estimate of calories for this muffin is about 120 calories. I’ll think I’ll have two of these bad boys this morning with my salad.

Okay, I’ve got to get going. Have a wonderful Tuesday.

Do watch Dancing With the Stars? If so, who do you want to win?

Have you made a microwave muffin yet?

Are you running today?

Comments

Man I read her story yesterday. So scary! My running partner and I have encountered someone we know is in our area so we have stopped running solo in the mornings. I still need to try one of your microwave muffin concoctions. Or that flatout…..that looks pretty tasty too!

Cecilia says:

I’m going to the store today after seeing these delicious pictures! Yum Yum!

I’ve got a few microwave muffin recipes on my blog. I might just give this one a try tomorrow….thanks for sharing!

sherry says:

Thanks for the recipe!! I will definitely try it. I make your mighty chocolate or high protein pumpkin muffin all the time and have 1/2 as AM snack at work daily. My son (11 yr old) likes them, too! He likes when I tell him the “secret ingredient” in this food AFTER (key word here) he eats it, or most of it — like the spinach in the might chocolate muffin. I add a ton of different things in his fruit smoothies (and snacks) and then we play the “secret ingredient” guessing game. I sneak in kale, spinach, avocado, wheat grass powder — anything green and healthy I can add in them — he actually loves when I do that because he know it’s healthy for him and he does not like them otherwise. Stay safe running!

Good idea to have a surprise ingredient and make it a game to guess what it is. I’m going to have to try that. :) I’ve been slacking on getting the greens in for the boys lately.

WOW! Thank you SO SO SO much for sharing. I am ultra cautious because of incidents occurring near where I live and run, but there are some great tips that your friend shares, very helpful and very informative!

Beth Petrassi says:

My husband is always on my case about running – I often like to run after dark. He says he doesn’t like it and “it only takes once”… I always laugh at him and tell him he is the only one that would attack me on a run ( I am a gross sweaty mess). BUT after reading this story and running while in New York on long lonely roads during hunting season, I am starting to feel a bit different. I usually run with a dog or two (I have 3), but they are getting old and lazy and I don’t know how “menacing” they are, so I often run solo. I wear my music, as I don’t think I could run without it, but I am going to heed her warnings and try the one bud thing and be more aware. It can be scary, and I don’t need another excuse not to run, but it is smart to be aware of the risks. Stay safe Ladies – there are creeps out there.

I made a microwave muffin last night with my dinner, it had almond flour, coconut flour, coconut milk, and egg whites! So good!

I had not read Elizabeth’s story yet so thank you for sharing! Scary stuff, I’m definitely going to be more cautious from now on.
    P.S. I’ve never made a microwave muffin but I’m going to try this one stat!! I just have to get my hands on some coconut flour.

Shelle says:

HEY! You don’t owe us any excuses as: 1) you are not a bad blogger at all and 2) you have a life, family, training, etc, just like the rest of us. So you take your sweet time writing a post that talks running and know that your time blogging is appreciated by your readers! Stop beating yourself up :) better to take your time then to half-ass any aspect of your life. Thanks :) and smile!

Love “Harvey”…Elf on a Shelf is such a fun thing for kids. And can be fun for you too especially if he likes wine ;) No running today, did a Crossfit workout & some elliptical….am still sore from sprints on Sunday. Have a fab week!

Confession, I eat a double batch every night with coconut peanut butter frosting. I am addicted and in love! I ran 5.25 miles today! It felt amazing! I’m seriously addicted to running too…I blame you!

Samantha says:

Thanks for sharing Elizabeth’s story. I would echo her self-defense class suggestion. I ended up doing karate for about 3 years. I didn’t love it, but it did change my knowledge of how to use my body and equally important how to take a hit (and that you can take a much harder hit than you think). Many of us active gals are pretty darn strong that it is hard for us to conceptualize being overpowered but it can quickly happen – even against an equally sized girl.

Can’t wait to hear your training stuff. :) But I also know you have a ton going on! Have a great day, Sam

Christine says:

I dont buy coconut flour but is there a substitution i could use for it?

Anna W. says:

perfect timing!!!! i wanted to try a new microwave muffin, and here’s your recipe….delivered right to me :)
    you’re awesome, lady! i’ll let you know how it turns out.

Mona says:

Kristin,
    I’ve been looking at your meals with all the yummy squashes, veggies and of course the peppers – and I have to ask – do you ever have any stomach issues during your runs from all the fiber?

Sometimes. :) I had some issues once during a marathon- 5 bathroom stops. It wasn’t fun. I have to be careful the night before races now. But… my stomach is pretty darn tough.

Well, I’ve been following your blog for some time now and had a moment today that totally made me think of you..my husband didn’t get it. I was roasting some veggies and forgot about them – result? They burnt to a crisp…now I get how easy it is to let them “roast” too long! They were way beyond help, not even crushed red pepper flakes could help this batch of veggies, haha!

Robin Senne says:

Hey! This is random but for your sweet potato mess pancake, did you cook the sweet potato before making the actual pancake? :)

Thank you!

Made this last night and topped it with a little chocolate pb2 — SO good!! and the perfect amount of sweetness to cure my dessert craving. thanks for sharing :)

randi says:

just popped your new muffin out of the microwave – thank you so much for posting!

When I saw that happened to E, I was shaken! I take for granted the freedom of running too much–need to be cautious. Thanks for ANOTHER great recipe! Have you always liked to be in the kitchen??

Elle says:

I love to make mike muffins too and am always experimenting. Glad you found another variation you like!

Carli says:

And I’ll be making this for myself. I have so much coconut flour I don’t know what to do with it. Lots and lots if muffins.

Be careful telling your supervisors how cute they are. You wouldn’t want to get in trouble. ;-)

High-Fives to the muffing not jumping out of the mug! I’m making a pumpkin muffin tomorrow morning to help me get through a long run after clients in the AM. Hoping it isn’t too cold out there. :) Not a fan of Dancing with the Stars. I have other horrible guilty reality TV addictions.

I tend to forget about muffins in the microwave, I need to try this one! Glad you got to sleep in… we spent the long Thanksgiving weekend visiting grandparents and each morning got earlier and earlier… we’re finally getting back on track with sleep now, and it makes such a difference!

Amy says:

I just made this for a little evening snack topped with sunflower butter. it was DELICIOUS!!! i loved the almond extract in it! ps – i’m a twin as well! your boys are too adorable :)

1. [...] found this last article through STUFT mama’s post. Running for Bling was out on a run and was assaulted. Have a read, make note of her 10 tips, [...]

2. [...] Lunch is where the big change came. I decided to leave my grilled chicken, sweet potatoes and cherry tomatoes for tomorrow and had the urge to try STUFT Mama’s Healthy Apple Microwave Muffin. [...]

3. [...] Lunch is where the big change came. I decided to leave my grilled chicken, sweet potatoes and cherry tomatoes for tomorrow and had the urge to try STUFT Mama’s Healthy Apple Microwave Muffin. [...]

4. [...] it’s not the prettiest muffin as it doesn’t brown in a microwave. Want this Healthy Apple Microwave Muffin a prettier color? Maybe toss it under a broiler for a minute? But it’s the taste that matters [...]