The New Year and Some New Deep Thoughts

Happy New Year!

I keep seeing January 1st on my phone and it surprises me every single time. Ha ha.

Workout Yesterday:

Taught spin class.

Ran 7 or so slow miles. I didn’t pay attention to time or anything. I took a lesson from my good friend Lindsay  and just ran to run. It was fabulous.

Workout today:

6 mile treadmill run in the morning- 1st mile slow and then the last 5 at 8 minute mile pace with a little entertainment

2013-01-01 08.45.49

Taught a 45 minutes BOSU class

Favorite moves of the class- BOSU burpees, plank jacks, mountain climbers and slow BOSU jumping jacks. All of them can be found in this workout.

I’m anticipating a little “home cardio” while taking Christmas decorations down later this evening. That should be fun.

Speaking of, I told Judah he gets to help me take them down and his reply was “But it’s still Christmas”. Oh… sweet boy. He’s right in a way though. We should have the Christmas spirit all year, yes?

I wasn’t going to show you how exciting our New Year’s Eve was last night because I really don’t want to make people jealous, but here you go.

2012-12-31 20.53.21

We even ate our take out Chin’s on the couch and were in bed by 10:30. Watch out. We are wild around here.

So, I’m starting to realize that I enjoy my day much more and am a much more pleasant person to be around when I don’t put pressure on myself to get a post done first thing in the morning or stay up until the wee hours of the night to make sure I’ve done all my bloggy work. It should be something I love (and it is), but not something that makes me grumpy or stressed out. Eventually (hopefully) the time will come when it can turn into a full time job, but for now it’s not.

This morning I stayed away from the computer and it was marvelous.

I gave myself some extra time in the kitchen with my “helpers”.

2013-01-01 09.20.55

Yep, Buzz too. He’s darn good at mixing up some eggs.

2013-01-01 09.39.41

Oh lovely. Dang, this guy really loves his butter.

I was pretty hungry this morning so I went for the ultimate pear breakfast salad (with an apple instead of a pear) and a no grain microwave English muffin on the side.

It was accompanied by a café Americano made with my stovetop espresso maker and some Starbucks espresso beans from the amazing Jessica.

IMG_64432013-01-01 08.56.36

Yeah, she’s awesome.

Right now I’m eating roasted kabocha squash and thought about not showing a picture since you’ve seen it a bazillion times before, but I just can’t help myself.

He he. I sprinkled some chia on there today too (along with everything else) since I’ve been forgetting to get my daily dose in lately.

Oh, and I’ve got a sugar free dark chocolate coconut mocha made with almond milk going on too.

Hmm…. I better fix that lid before I spill it down my shirt. Ha.

So…

I have a couple goals and resolutions written down, but am still in the process of organizing them all. At least I have a few notebooks ready.

I’m having the toughest time deciding what notebook to use for what.

I’ll have to report back once I have them all organized for their specific things. Hmm…..

So goals……

A lot of my personal goals are the same ones I had last year. To be honest I didn’t really do such a great job at achieving them. I’m kind of in the same place I was last year with trying to balance everything out.

Actually, wait, 2012 was an incredible year. As I start off this year, I’m a little faster. I’ve finally won and placed in some races. I’ve realized how much I truly love running and racing. I’ve had some amazing opportunities and event experiences with FitFluential. I’m working with and hope to continue to work with some fabulous brands.

But…..

I still struggle with some of the same things. I’m still trying to figure out what to do career wise. I still second guess my decision I made a few years ago to leave my full time PE teaching job. I’m still wishing on a daily basis that I could stop worrying about it and just be a good mommy and wife. I really want and need to be better at keeping things together around the house. I want to plan better and start cooking more family dinners. I want to use my darn crockpot for goodness sake.

I want to not have those days that I eat way too much sugar because I’m stressed out and tired. There have been way too many of them lately.

The list goes on and on, but most importantly,

I really want to pray more and just slow down.

Yep. That’s all.

I am for sure making reading this book a priority to start off the year.

IMG_8369_thumb_thumb

I’ve only read a little bit of it, but it’s already hitting home with a few things.

And you know what? Rather than getting down on myself for not achieving my goals last year, I’m just going to make sure they happen this year. I’m going to surprise myself. 2013 is the year. There’s a lot of work to do and a lot that lies ahead, but it’s time.

One last deep thought with this silly little post of mine.

On one of Jillian Michael’s podcasts she said it doesn’t matter if you’ve failed time and time again. That isn’t a reason to stop trying. It just means you have to figure out why you’re not letting yourself succeed.

Why would you let yourself fail if you can succeed? (And friends, you CAN succeed. We ALL can. I’m telling that to myself right now too.)

So…

That’s all. I’m getting these notebooks organized and some things written down. I’m not going to write down what I want to do in 2013, I’m going to write down what I’m going to do 2013.

You too?

Who else has notebooks?

Who else is going to write down goals with me? If so, what are some of them?

Geesh- this was a little deep. Sorry, it’s just where my head is at right now. And now I want to look up crockpot recipes. Ha ha.

Oops, before I forget, the 20% off for a personal customized training plan from Coach Jason is still good. You know, if you’ve got some running goals for the new year and all. Make sure to email him directly though (jason@runcoachjason.com) and let him know you’re my friend. All the details are here.

Comments

Becky Przy says:

Awesome post! Plus, its nice to know I am not the only one trying to figure out balance and the whole life/family/dinner situation;-) I love all the notebooks! I don’t have one, but I did make a list of all my goals and I am working on 2 at a time.I put them on ‘recurring’ on my calendar for 3 weeks so I will them everyday when I open my calendar. I figure it takes 3 weeks to make a habit–at the end of 3 weeks I will review my progress–and hopefully start 2 new goals.

We have the same spiritual goal. I put on my blog that I want to take 10 extra mins each morning to do a morning meditation and read a daily devotional so I start my day off right. And it’s totally still Christmas. That’s why my decorations stay up til mid January :)

Oh friend……. I wish you lived closer. I felt kind of vulnerable writing this post so thanks for saying that. Yes, totally still Christmas and let’s take 10 extra minutes each morning. I’ll tell Joaquin he has to give Mommy those because his girlfriend said so. HUGS!

Great post…time away from blogging is good and appreciated. I didn’t realize you were/are a PE teacher!! I bet you/are great!!! Heck, you are great at any thing to do with physical fitness and education…I actually think you should just be paid to speak to other SAHM who can’t figure out where to start with their fitness b/c of all the stay at home stress and weird schedules.

You have the perfect…”See if I can do it with my twins YOU can do it too” story! (And look at all you have done!) You are awesome!

We ..the family…just decided to see how long we can keep the tree up this year without becoming “sick” of it….on Sunday we will take off the Christmas ornaments and replace them with homemade Valentine ornaments….then Easter….July 4th etc….they are all very excited to see how long we can keep it up. I personally enjoy the morning quiet time with just the tree lights on…so peaceful!

Good Luck with all those journals…I think one will be plenty for me. ;-)

Oh goodness, thank you Kathy. You are too kind. Love the tree lights and wish I would’ve been as smart as you to keep it going all year. Love the idea. Maybe we should get ours back out. Ha ha.

Beth Petrassi says:

Umm – notebooks? I have a few (million) with the beginnings of journals (that never get finished), with recipes, with quotes and motivational sayings and tips and memories and … So today, what do I do?? Go out and buy a new journal to write down all of the food that I eat (I have been food journalling for about a year consistently). Tomorrow I am going to get all of my most current journals together and try to figure out some easy dinners to make. My NY’s Resolution every year is to make healthier dinners more often for the whole family – but this year when I said that my 12 year old daughter said, “Maybe your resolution should be to learn how to cook – that would make all of us happy”. I love her and she speaks the truth, so maybe that should be my rez… I don’t like to prepare food unless it is sweet and “bad” for me…

As far as your career, you still are a PE teacher – just at gyms and to adults and we all love you for it. Being a stay at home mom is a great job – the best job – with crummy financial benefit, but so many other benefits that it kinda works out. I hope you find what you are looking for and peace of mind in it. I know everyone says this, but I am finding it to be so true, your boys will be out of the house before you know it and you will never get these times back with them – life is not about $ and stuff, but relationships we build with others. You do such a great job of that and your relationship with your family is so blessed by all that you do. Always so excited to see a blog post in my email :)

I. Love. Notebooks. I keep several on my desks and laughed out loud when I saw your picture. YAY I’m not the only one! We had a *crazy* night in with kids too last night and were ready to crash waaaaay before them! Loved this pot, happy new year!

Writing down my goals definitely helps me…and that’s the beautiful thing about blogging–it makes them right there in front of me and hard (in a good way) to ignore all year long! One of my goals this year is to read the entire Bible. It’s intimidating to me (not sure exactly why) but my grandmother gave me a Chronological Bible for Christmas and I plan to use that as my guide for the year. It only takes 10-15 minutes a day, sometimes less, and I’m aiming to read first thing each morning. I know if I make a habit of it it’ll become that much easier! I’m excited for it too of course :)

Liz Anglin says:

Happy New Year my friend! What a great post (as always), looking forward to seeing some healthy, quick crock pot recipes. We still think its Christmas around here too (and Easter, Thanksgiving, and we have someone’s big “3″ on Friday)! Love your notebooks, great idea! :)

Cecilia says:

Happy New Year! I love your positive outlook. I bought myself the Runner’s Day by Day Log to write down thoughts about runs. I know how fun I’ll have reading through it next December.

Happy New Year! I love your positive thoughts on reaching your goals in 2013. We will all get there! I’m with ya on the praying; I need more of that in my life.

I identify SO much with this post. With taking off the blogging pressure, focusing on what’s important, and creating goals. I’m still working on mine too (I’m glad I’m not the only one), which I hope to have later this week. But they will be around the focus of “balance” – something I need to pray A LOT about and remember daily. :)

ha! I’ve been organizing my papers and notebooks and things for a vision board for about, oh, 3 months now because I just can’t decide. Maybe it’s time that I just start doing it and writing things down?? The plan is to do it tomorrow when the boys go back to school.

I’m totally right there with you on pretty much everything in this post. I struggle with many of the same things but yes, I want to focus on slowing down this year and make sure that there is intention behind my actions, if that makes sense. That message from Jillian definitely hits home and is something that I’ve been thinking about a lot lately too – what’s holding me back and what I’m afraid of. Here’s to slowing down in 2013!

eilizabeth says:

Almond champagne? Was it good?

sarah says:

Giiiirl, you need to make this a goal: Take it easier on yourself, and take credit for all the amazingness you do!(Yah, that’s an order;)). Seriously , you achieved a bunch this year. Be proud:).

And personally, I never tire of your foodie pictures, ever.

Happy New Year Kristen!

Morgan says:

Setting goals is the best! I love reading everyone’s ideas & plans. The Crock pot’s best friend- a $5 timer! My days are so crazy & my husband is sometimes forgetful on the on & off so I put the whole meal in there on a 6-8 timer. Then it shuts off when done & is still warm but not a burned mess :) happy New Years to my favorite fitness blogger!

Thank you Morgan!!!!! I’m so using my crock pot this year!!! He he. If your crock pot has a timer, why do you use a $5 timer? Just curious. Mine has an automatic timer. Is that normal?

• morgan says:

um well it is kinda sad but my crock pot is old enough (cheap enough?) that it doesn’t have a timer! maybe I should think about upgrading?! ha ha! not until this one dies though….
        but veggie lasagna in the crockpot- layers of squash & sauce & turkey- yum!

Karen says:

I love this post.
    My Christmas decorations are still up too.
    I am starting my third year of the whole healthy thing and finding you has made it all so much more pleasant. I have learned so much from you….
    and I am 83 pounds lighter than I was when 2011 started.
    I am constantly striving to learn and grow in every possible way…physically, spiritually, emotionally.
    I just want to be a really good person. Period. That is my constant goal. I am willing to take a deep breath and start over and do better immediately…every day…all the time. I reaccess and move forward. It is never too soon or too late to start over and/or do better.
    Thanks for all that you do and for all of the help that you give me along the path.
    And thanks so sharing your sweet little guys with me. They continually make me smile.
    Is that an eraser in front of Joaquin near the butter? :-)

Thank you for all that YOU do! Wow- look how far you’ve come since just last year too Karen. AMAZING. I’m constantly striving to be a better person too. HUgs! ANd yes, that’s an eraser. Judah’s been carrying it around for the past few days. I’m not sure what it’s all about. ha ha.

Catherine says:

Enjoyed your post today!!

You are a fast runner! I love the microwaveable english muffin. I had one today with eggs on it! So good.

misszippy says:

I think this post says you have your priorities in order and that’s great. The balance is something we all struggle with and I think it is an ongoing journey for those of us who wear many hats. You’re doing great and I love that you are going to use journals as you move along the 2013 path!

I just want to tell you that I think of you all the time when I’m tired and don’t want to run. Your encouraging words at Runner’s World have stuck with me and inspire me daily. :)

Bridget says:

Your first crock pot recipe……chicken breasts with salsa on top. Sprinkle in taco seasoning. Cook. Done.

I like to think of myself as a work in progress. It’s kind of funny, my rule when I work with people on their goals for health/fitness is that you only tackle one thing at a time. Get that under control and then move on to the next. I DO NOT take this same advice, so you know what happens…I tend to get overwhelmed and fail. I’m going to really work at taking my on lesson and actually learn from it. We can succeed! This will be a great year of accomplishments! Many hugs to you my friend!

Lisa says:

Great goals that you listed Kristin! Balance is definitely hard to fully commit too, but we learn from each and every moment in our lives, so I think that’s important. I definitely want to focus more on the present, instead of constantly worrying about every little thing. I never tire of your foodie pictures, they’re all great:)

Few things make me happier than a bright, shiney blank notebook. I was able to write down 10 goals for myself for the year and i’m so excited to get started on them. #1 on the list is to get certified as a personal trainer and I also want to become certified to teach group classes as well. My life is changing and I’m SO excited!!!

Denise says:

I am looking for my notebook! Ugh…baby down for a nap…shall I shower or work in the office? Only a few days left before going back to work….teaching….where I would love it that you came back and teach with me on Fridays!@ Ok going to Dr’s today….Mama, Papa and Olivia have had this cough long enough! Oh and potty training? Seriously I don’t know how you lived a life with the twins during that time!@ HELP! And hugs my friend!

Tiffany says:

I love that you have all of those notebooks. I am obsessed with journals. OBSESSED!
    I have read 1000 Gifts and my plan is to read it again in 2013. My word for the year is Intentional and honestly, I just feel like I need to slow it down, pay specific attention to the things that really matter in my life, mainly my family and my marriage. I have my goals all written down and I am so excited for what 2013 brings. Thanks for sharing with us your heart!

eilizabeth says:

I use my pressure cooker a lot, but I like this veggie chili in the crockpot, http://annarbor.com/entertainment/food-drink/the-best-veggie-chili/?cmpid=mlive-@mlive-food-a2

elizabeth says:

i love my crockpot! i can’t remember if you have dietary restrictions/limits but let me know what they are and i can share a few. and, take it easy on yourself! There is a plan, that you are not in charge of, ya know what i mean? it’s all working out the way it should- you just may not know what that is. and, if you skip a day on blogging-we may miss you-but the world won’t end. enjoy it all. you deserve it! xo

Sadly, I am not an earliy riser (around 7:00) but I also am no where near a night owl. What do they say about those people haha?

1. [...] you know I burned the kabocha squash, but managed to fix it right up just like yesterday (complete with protein frosting, coconut oil, PB2, Naturally More peanut butter and [...]