A Rest Day, an Easy Salad Dressing and Some Weekend Randoms

Good morning! Happy Sunday!

Saturday workouts:

Taught a chilly boot camp in the morning.

Brrr……. It’s a big deal for us to get that much frost here. Oh my brave boot camp friends who came out early in the morning. They are awesome. I tried to make their trip worth it with some tabatas. He he.

I also did my last long run before the Carlsbad Marathon in just three weeks. 23 long, slow, sluggish miles.

It took forever and I didn’t feel that great, but I made the time pass by with some Jillian Michaels’ podcasts and some new Balanced Bites podcasts that my friend Sara told me about.

I’ve been running with that mace on my belt lately. How cool does that look? Ha ha.

Usually the minute I finish a long run I need to get some food, water and Nuun in my system as soon as possible. Yesterday I made the quickest turkey spinach salad with an easy homemade salad dressing about 2 minutes after I walked in the door.

To make the dressing I just mixed Trader Joe’s Hot and Sweet Mustard (which is awesome by the way) with some crushed red pepper and apple cider vinegar.

Then I put it on some spinach and topped it with turkey and some brewer’s yeast.

It was good and gone in less than 5 minutes. It was also just enough to tied me over until my kabocha squash was ready.

Or burnt. Same thing. I did it up the usual way

and had a café Americano on the side.

We’ve been eating gourmet dinners around here this weekend.

Friday night we made the easiest fish tacos with this fish from Costco.

Then last night we stepped it up a notch with Costco spinach raviolis (which personally I think are better in this Lazy Mama Spinach and Cheese Lasagna recipe).

Why yes, I did dig that out of the trash to take a picture. Lovely.

I also made a grain free garlicky microwave muffin to go with dinner (which also included lots of roasted broccoli slaw and roasted brussel sprouts). I made STUFT Daddy try it and he said it tasted exactly how it looked. Hmm… not sure how to take that. Ha.

Today is a rest day. A very welcome rest day. I’m wearing my Pro Compression socks (that I also slept in) and some comfy clothes. Hopefully today will be a productive day in other areas (putting Christmas away in boxes, laundry, etc.). It’s cold and rainy, but the boys and I may brave a trip out to Costco. Wait, on a Sunday? That might not be the best idea.

Some random things before I go just because.

I can’t keep plants alive to save my life.

This is my favorite candle for the winter months ever. Yankee Candle Home Sweet Home. It’s burning right now and the whole house smells amazing.

I’m way too excited about this ginormous Tootsie Pop from Mom.

Look at that thing.

Can you guess how many actual Tootsie Pops are inside.

And….. I just had to buy this US Weekly magazine to find out what the heck happened with Bethenny and Jason since I mentioned it a few days ago.

I used to subscribe to this magazine and it was seriously the highlight of my weekends. Oh how life has changed.

Okay, time to get going. I need to make some coffee, figure out what’s for breakfast and hang with the boys.

Earlier this morning they were up to no good playing horsy on our bed. At least Kitty played it safe on the sidelines. Ha ha.

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Do you have any easy Costco meals that you love?

And, um…… Who’s excited for The Biggest Loser to start tonight?

By the way, if you see my best friend Bob wearing Pro Compression socks, they’re from me! He he.

Comments

That giant Tootsie Pop is seriously impressive. And, I am sooo sad about Bethenny and Jason :(

Katie H. says:

I buy frozen tilapia fillets at Sam’s Club. Sometimes we do Parmesan Tilapia from there, too.

Leanne says:

Oh man I need to get that magazine! I still do not want to believe it.

Maria says:

I cannot wait to watch your BFF on tv! So excited for Jillian too!

eilizabeth says:

That is a long run! 23 miles. How are your legs feeling today? I don’t think I’ve every run over 15. I’ll have to challenge myself sometime, but it will have to be on trails. How many 23 mile runs do you have in your training plan? I’m happy that I’m able to get out there every day for an hour or two with the dogs, but not happy that I got some frostbite the other day. Your dressing sounds good. I like to make a 3-2-1 dressing, vinegar-mustard-sweetener. I use white balsamic, no sodium mustard and sometimes lemon and a dash of agave, but usually I leave the sweetener out, I like tangy dressing.

SkinnyRunner says:

i should give you my extra US mags! my mother in law gave me a subscription and i get so many i dont even read them all. sinful, i know.

I’m SUPER excited to watch Biggest Loser tonight!! I love that Jillian is back, of course :)

I’ve never watched biggest loser, but I’m recording it now b/c of Bob!! :) That was a cold morning for bootcamp. You have some dedicated participants!

Sam says:

I have no idea what happened with Betheny! I was hoping it was a rumor :/ bummer!! Do excited for biggest loser.. I hope they have it on Hulu!

My husband and I love that Costco Spinach & Mozzarella Ravioli! It’s always a nice thing to have on hand when you don’t feel like cooking or don’t have anything else in the house. I need to try your lasagna version!

Yes, love that stuff. You’ll keep loving it when little Baby Hunter is toddler age and you need to get him to eat spinach. :) (I know that’s a long ways away.)

Jen C says:

Where did you get that mace belt? I need one!

Sara Grambusch says:

Is that a full on regular tootsie roll pop because those things are hard as a rock. That’s like a weapon! Did you know The Biggest Loser’s normal night is going to be Monday at the same time as The Bachelor?? Life is over.

Ha. There are 10 tootsie pops in there, but Joaquin with that in his hand is dangerous!!!! And um yeah, really on the same night? Why do they do that to us? Haven’t watched the Bachelor yet. Good stuff?

Tiffany says:

Here’s the link to the ClifBar podcasts (called ClifCast).

debbie says:

I love nutritional yeast, but haven’t tried Brewers yeast. What’s the difference???
    Thanks.

Nutritional yeast has more of a cheese-like taste. Brewer’s yeast is a bit “nutty” tasting. A little different nutritional benefits from each too.

Bridget says:

Love the new haircuts, could gobble those boys up!!

1. I had no idea you were running a marathon that soon! YAY!! Can’t wait to hear how it goes =) Way to get 23 miles in !!!
    2. I used to love US Weekly. I felt like it kept me connected with things – now I have NO clue who is dating who, who just had a baby, etc.
    3. There is nothing green in my body – I kill EVERY plant I come into contact with. Whoops =)
    xoxo

That dressing looks phenomenal, I’m going to try that today. And reading this about Bethenny and Jason just broke my heart, I hadn’t heard!!! I love them.

1. [...] I tried to get the boys to eat them, but that didn’t go over so well so I added them all to my snack salad (chicken, romaine lettuce and hot and sweet salad dressing). [...]

2. [...] biggest salad ever with Scotty B’s Bacon Jalapeño hot sauce and Hot and Sweet Salad Dressing. You can’t go wrong with either of those things on a salad with turkey or chicken. I’m [...]

3. [...] wasn’t sure if my favorite chicken apple sausages would go well with hot and sweet salad dressing, but it did. And a little of that Trader Joe’s South African Smoke Seasoning and Scotty B’s [...]

4. [...] think I need to do that more often. It was easy to mix up the lettuce with the hot and sweet salad dressing and really didn’t make a mess. One less thing to pack and one less dish to wash. [...]