Don’t Judge a Day By a Crappy Start

Workouts:

Tuesday-

Taught a BOSU class

Quick 3 miles on the treadmill. I did not feel like running at all. I made myself get on the treadmill for 25 minutes before dinner. That’s all I had.

Wednesday-

Taught an early morning spin class

Ran 8 treadmill miles- the last 5 at a 7:00 pace. I was on a mission to get 8 miles done in an hour. I barely made it, I wanted to stop several a bazillion times, but it turned out to be a fun little game to play with myself to race against the clock.

The beginning of our day was crappy. Literally.

Yesterday I posted this picture with a pretty funny description. In case you’re not an instagram person (If you are I’m @stuftmama on there), here’s what it was.

image

Well, this morning at promptly 7 am, we had a similar situation. The differences were that we were inside the house, there wasn’t a “flower” and there weren’t any pants. It was not pretty friends. I’ll spare you the details and I won’t name names, but I’m adding scrubbing the carpet to the list of cleaning tasks that I despise. Ugh.

Needless to say, this morning did not start out well.

We still managed to make it to the gym on time to teach my spin class. Things started looking up even a little more when I found this little gem that someone left on the floor.

It came in especially handy since I forgot my cool sport headphones. I hate that. I even asked if there were any in the lost and found I could borrow. Yep, I’m that girl. There weren’t, which is probably a good thing. I was forced to watch my friends Kelly and Michael on mute.

Not the same.

Sweat much? Yikes.

My Mizuno Elixir 7 shoes were the shoes of the day.

After the gym the boys and I hit up Vons. It was a multi purpose trip. We needed to deposit money, buy some things that I didn’t get at Costco the other night and if all went well we would finish with a Starbucks.

Well, we got lucky right away and scored the car cart.

They never get old.

Then Judah suggested we buy some almond milk. Wouldn’t you know, it was freaking on sale.

I love this stuff. Silk PureAlmond Unsweetened Vanilla is the bomb. Since it was a full $.50 off we stocked up.

We also just happen to find some kabocha squash. I told myself I was going to try to not buy squash for awhile, but after not having it in the house for about 24 hours I had to give in. Oops.

It actually was a very unexpected successful trip. So successful in fact we stopped at Starbucks on the way out and spent more than we just saved on the almond milk. Lovely.

Oh how Starbucks was worth it though.

Cheers.

Drink of choice lately from Starbucks is a venti café Americano with a little soy and two Splendas.

I even managed to get my hands on some chili peppers later today.

I used them to make one of the spiciest dinners I’ve had in awhile.

The same grain free microwave pizza crust made BBQ chicken pizza style with some roasted kale salad and mushrooms, topped with more BBQ sauce, Cholula and nutritional yeast.

Mmm…..

So, lesson learned. A day that seemed like it was going to be a doozie, when given the chance and faced head on, actually turned out pretty darn fantastic.

You want to know what’s really ironic? I had this idea to write a post about needing to give myself a time out. How my body and mind were tired and I really needed a break from well, everything. I was really ready to throw in the towel the past couple days. But, this morning when I was faced with that “crappy” situation, I reminded myself that we’re never given more than we can handle. I just went with it, handled things the best I could and gosh darn it, had a pretty great day.

It’s all in how you look at it sometimes. And sometimes…… you get the strength to keep going from, well, crap. Ha ha.

Have you ever been ready to throw in the towel and then gotten strength from something unexpected?

Is it hard for anyone else to run without headphones?

Comments

MILF Runner says:

There have been so many times that I have faced that very same crappy start! So often that it ceased to phase me. Lots of kids will do that to a body!

Glad things turned around for you!

Karen says:

THAT is a bad start to your day! Congrats on turning it around and making it a success. Good job! You just never know what is ahead. Sometimes a good thing. Sometimes a bad thing. You just have to keep going to find out. Not to get too deep here but, when my oldest son’s fiancee left him, he was in the depths of despair for quite a while and nothing seemed to help. I was so afraid that he was not going to be able to see his way out of it. He hung in there though and he came out the other end so much stronger and happier and actually met the girl that would turn out to be perfect for him. If his fiancee hadn’t left him, he would never have known. So, sometimes what seems so bad, can turn out to be the very best thing ever. You just have to hang in there to find out.

Attitude and Perspective are totally what make or break a day…it’s like that phrase “Happiness is a Choice.” I believe it whole-heartedly, it’s just veeeery difficult to chose some days! ;)

Oh….. I like that phrase Danica. :) Yes, very difficult to choose some days though. :)

Karen says:

I have always liked that Danica.
      Happiness is a choice…I choose happiness.
      I say that all the time.
      You have a choice.
      Why would you choose otherwise?
      Not always easy.
      Sooo always worth it.

Kanoe says:

Aww I saw the “flower” photo on Instagram & laughed so hard. The strangest things happen sometimes huh??!! LOL! I have definitely had moments when I wanted to just GIVE UP & GIVE IN and like you said throw the towel in but then I get an unexpected text message or email from someone that makes me smile or crack up laughing & then I realize things aren’t really that awful and I need to be stronger and KEEP GOING. Love your blog by the way :-)

Lindsay says:

Looks like things turned around – especially with that Starbucks run. I am also a Gold Card holder and feel so special every time I use it :) Loving your Mizunos as well! I can’t wait to get my next pair – the new ones they came out with are to die for!! Have a great day!

Lindsay- yeah, I feel so cool when I flash my gold card. Too bad it only has $2 left. Ha ha. I can’t wait for you to get your next pair of Mizunos either.

I ALWAYS ask if there are any headphones in the lost in found. I consider it a sign if there arnt. It’s probably not good to share those things :) And the bad thing is the treadmill TVs at the gym I go to dont work if there are not headphones in them!

morgan says:

I actually bought one of those super over priced Lululemon tank tops with the pockets in the front of the bra so I can move with my phone on even if I A) forget the headphones B) they fall out too much & I rip them out of my ears (some days they just don’t like to stay in!) I do love the top though & have to do laundry just to have it to wear more often :) I just have to have music!

I need to listen to something when I run and really music is my favorite. Otherwise all I hear is my breathing and my feet hitting the pavement…

We’ve had some craptastic days lately here. I’m hoping for the upswing soon! I’m glad your day ended well!

I cannot run without headphones! I can’t wait to try that pizza crust since I love the English muffin so much!

I think this is one of my favourite posts of yours simply because it speaks of such an amazing message! (Maybe this is why I feel compelled to comment for the first time haha – long time reader though!).
    And nope. I just can’t run without headphones, unless I’m racing- then I think the adrenaline of the race compensates for the lack of musical distraction!

Oh Emma- Thanks for your comment. I could only run without headphones when I race too for the same reason. Lately though I’ve even been racing with them.

Lisa says:

I have those days often! I’m glad you got over the hump of the bad day and made it a more positive experience. Perspective is everything! Why on earth would you try and not buy kabocha;) It’s my addiction in life. I guess there are worse things to be addicted too! I love working out with Michael and Kelly, it’s the best part of the day. Those two are such gems. Yay for a fellow gold member. I love that card!

If I am actually having a crappy day, I sometimes like to run with no headphones. It allows me to fully embrace the outdoors, be grateful, and thankful. I find it a heck of a lot harder though when it’s on the treadmill. It seriously just drags on. BLAH! My almond milk was on sale this week too. That stuff is not cheap, so I too stock up as well. :)

eilizabeth says:

Are you wearing your weenis pants? ;)

Jody says:

Do you use a Starbucks reward card? I just started. Mine as well earn drinks with our expensive habits!

1. [...] Or was it? Ugh. Hey, what do you know, I remembered my cool headphones this time. [...]