Tuning Out

Yesterday’s Workout:

8 mile slow treadmill run at the gym

I’ll spare you any unflattering workout photos this morning. There have been way too many of those lately, but I did decide yesterday that I really want to be on The Price is Right and wear a STUFT Mama shirt or something. Anyone want to go with me? He he.

I was selfish yesterday and got my hair done.

If you’re local it’s an awesome new salon my friend just opened, Salon Sultry.

Pretty darn upscale for where we live.

Some darn amazing ladies work there. My friend who’s been doing my hair for over 10 years has done wonders. When I first went to her I had orange hair that was somewhat of a chemical mullet. I should find some of those pictures.

Oh hey, I don’t even dry my hair when I leave the salon. Ha.

Anyhoo…

Last night we had a major three year old tantrum over here about not being able to watch a “baby show”. I’m talk major. A longer than 30 minute, all out, foot stomping, laying on the ground, screaming, crying, kicking tantrum.

It was NOT fun.

It was a very rough night.

These particular toys I usually don’t particularly love

IMG_6587IMG_6590IMG_6591

we actually my saving grace last night.

I was so distraught I made the most random dinner ever for the boys. Macaroni and cheese with brussel sprouts and broccoli mixed in along with leftover eggs and sausage from the morning.

I’m kind of embarrassed.

STUFT Daddy and I did get to try out a new wine though once things calmed down a bit.

It was pretty good, but not as good as my $6.99 bottle of my favorite wine. He he.

I’m taking our little situation from last night as a sign that we all need to tune out for a bit over here. Really tune out. From everything- TV, computer, phone, etc.

So that’s what we’re going to do this weekend.

We’re going to enjoy each other, spend some time outside and make the best of each minute.

I’m thankful for the little reminder.

Speaking of being thankful, we always say what we’re thankful for before bed. Last night Judah was thankful “for Mommy and Daddy”, and Joaquin was thankful “for poop”.

Lovely.

Have a great rest of your weekend.

Do you ever feel like you need to tune out too?

Comments

1. it is not selfish to get your hair done :) 2. i definitely never dry my hair either when getting it done. my response is usually ‘i’m going to the gym after this anyways, don’t bother’ … and 3. that dinner looked delish! no judgement here!

Hair day is the best!!!
    Bummer for the 3-year-old melt down!
    Yeah for the wine after!!!!

Hi Kristin! I’ve been reading your blog and love it- found it through the HRG. You’re not alone out there with the sopping wet hair… I think I dry my hair once a month. I thought I was the only one that left a salon appt. with a wet-head, saying to the stylist “no need to dry it, I’ll let you know how it turned out, I’ve gotta get to the gym!”

Have a great weekend!!

Becky Przy says:

Love the hair! Not selfish at all to take some time to get it done either–it’s amazing what a new color/cut can do!
    I am way too familiar w/the tantrums–we had a 2 hour one over here this morning (plus my 5 minute freak out session) My poor husband has his hands full;-) Tuning out sounds absolutely perfect! We all need to do that more often–although if it were a bit warmer it would help a bit…right now all we want to do is curl up w/a blanket, hot cocoa and a movie.

Oh my gosh! That bendy microphone thing…we have one. Drives me crazy too. But you’re right that it can be a saving grace sometimes to give them the crazy toys and keep them away from other things (or tantrums).

Elle says:

Your hair is lovely – adds to your beauty!

You are such a patient, good and kind Mom. I am constantly amazed at what you pack into your days. Poop! I guess sometimes it comes down to being thankful for poop…..

Hope you have a great sunny weekend.

Bridget says:

Oh you are SO welcome for the bendy microphone!!!!! I know toys! Bring the boys over here, they never throw tantrums for me…must be just you! Little angels. HA!

Sherry says:

Yes, tuning out needed a lot. Another reason I practice and teach yoga. So many benefits. Ooooommmmmm …….☺

Karen says:

Tuning out is ultra important. I can only take so much noise and talking. There are lots of times that I don’t even turn on music or anything on the way home from work. Sometimes quiet is very comforting and calming.

Samantha says:

Look like you covered the main food groups with that dinner. :) And more importantly, you got some veggies in there which you were worried about anyway. Have a fabulous weekend. What a blessed age in which poop might truly be one of your biggest wonders and gratitudes…lol.

debbie says:

ARe you kidding? I often think that we need to unplug everything! My kids love electronics. They’re limited, but still so much stuff that they repeat & act on- OY, it’s a lot!
    Love the being grateful for poop, so funny!
    My 8 yr old asked me what discrimination meant & I told him when you treat people differently b/c of their age, color or sex & he immediately stopped me & said, gross Mom, I don’t want to know.
    I was laughing so hard. Kids are funny when we get past their exhausting tantrums :) .

Lisa says:

Ok haha I first read the salon name as salon slutty. I was going to judge you a bit for that ;) good to know that’s not what it’s called. Hey that mac and cheese is perfectly acceptable…you’ve got your carbs, veggies, protein, fat. Decent enough. Brilliant idea to tune out everything. Enjoy your weekend with the boys and unplugging from everything! Haha, why is cheap wine the best?! I swear it is.

Can I get an amen?? Yes, I totally do. I am also thinking a trip to the salon is overdue since my bangs are looking a bit unruly and I need some color. You have inspired me to finally call it in! :)

Kori says:

Tune out?? YES!!! I’ve been known to put myself in a TIME OUT!! I have 4yr & 2 1/2 yr old girls. The older one was never big on tantrums, that lil’ one though……oh my!!!! I tell her all the time, thank goodness she’s cute & that I love her!!
    How do I get your arms??? I found you on bobharper.com…..still repeats by the way!? I’m turning 40 in June…(yes, I had my kids kinda late in life LOL) I’m 5’2″ weigh 100lbs & somewhat fit, but I really want your arms!!! I also emailed this to you, but not sure if it was the right add…so sorry if it’s a repeat!!!
    Oh, & just got a bosu…love it! Can you do more of those workouts too??
    Thanks!!

Hi Kori- I do a lot of resistance training, but only with weights and bands in the classes I teach. Is BobHarper.com really still repeats? What’s going on? I’ll totally post more workouts. That’s one of my goals for this year! Thanks for the reminder. Oh…. you’ll love your BOSU!!!!

• Kori says:

should I be using pretty heavy weights, I’ve never really used the bands??? I think I have one! The potty training has me stressed out lately & that makes me eat junk! Any advice on that? lol…..I know I can do it, I’ve done it w/ my older one! Everyone tells me she just isn’t ready yet….but I AM! Ha Thanks for the reply!!

• STUFT Mama says:

It all depends. I do a lot of band and free weights, but don’t lift heavy weights. Bands are awesome. I feel you on eating junk when stressed out. I’m right there.

That’s too funny. I love throwing random food together.. my step son hates it he wants everything separated

Getting your hair done is not selfish, chica!! ;)
    I hear you about tuning out sometimes though…I did that yesterday afternoon/evening and at first I was so tempted to grab my computer or check instagram on my phone, but after I while I realized it was just nice to breathe and really be present!

Last week I forgot my laptop charger at home when I left for school. It sucked not being able to get on and read blogs and blog whenever i wanted to but it was so nice and relaxing not looking at a screen and being unplugged for a little bit