One of the Best Decisions I’ve Ever Made

Wednesday workout:

Taught an early morning spin class

Ran 7 miles on the treadmill

I did a quick shoe change after my spin class before getting on the treadmill. Still sported the same sweaty outfit I wore on the bike though. Less laundry.

The run was tough. Certain days running 7 miles feels easy, but yesterday for some reason it was a struggle. My legs were darn sore from the hilly stroller run. It just wasn’t fun and I wanted to get off the treadmill after the first mile, but I stayed on there for the full 60 minutes. I had to catch up with Kelly and Michael. Ha. I ran 8:00 pace for the first 5 miles, 7:47 for the last two. Then I was done for the day.

Totally random, and I don’t really like to talk about weight on here, but I have had at least four people recently ask me if I’m expecting. Really? Yesterday a very nice lady in my class asked me if I “have some news”.

Um, no. I just put on a few holiday pounds and have been eating way too much kabocha squash topped with nut butter. Ha ha. I dislike the whole diastasis issue even more on days when people ask me that. I might have to start wearing my Spanx every day. And I will never ask someone if their expecting unless I am 100% sure they are.

Anyhoo….

Yesterday I had to take it easy after the morning workout. I could tell I was just tired physically and mentally and I’m trying really hard to be more in tune with listening to my body. It’s days like that when I usually don’t make the best decisions and not only let myself get all worked up with the bazillion things I have to do, but find myself eating my way through the day also.

Instead of falling into the trap, yesterday I decided to just focus on the things that had to be done. Things that could be put off for another day weren’t even on the radar.

I did end up begging the boys to watch a half hour or so of The Biggest Loser together. They love it because they get to see my best friend Bob (yeah, they know him, he’s on our refrigerator for goodness sakes) “tell people to put the weights down”. Joaquin especially likes it when “the lady cries on the treadmill”. Ha ha.

I also ate more squash.

Um, yeah, I almost went 24 hours without having any in the house.

We’ve been trying to eat together more as a family on nights when we’re all home. Last night, since we got some tortillas the other day from Mexamerica Foods, we did a little family fiesta.

The corn tortillas made some pretty darn good homemade baked corn chips to go with a little date night guacamole.

The boys had some carnitas roll ups (the carnitas meat from Costco) with the flour tortillas.

See how I try to sneak in some broccoli slaw on their plates? He he.

STUFT Daddy had tacos, but I didn’t dare ask to take a picture of his dinner. I’m annoying enough with my picture taking as it is.

I had a huge plate of roasted spaghetti squash, broccoli slaw, non dairy kale chips, chicken, corn chips, tons of peppers and salsa and some guacamole.

Um, so the BEST decision of the day was this one.

Yep. I was in bed with this book at 9:25 pm.

I probably should’ve have stayed up and gotten work done, but I knew if I did that today was going to be rough and I would be tempted to fuel myself with sugar late at night. I just couldn’t do it. They say will power is harder late at night and I totally agree. Especially when you’re super tired.

So I went to bed instead.

And….

this morning when my alarms went off

I was ready for the day.

Yep, best decision ever.

Is it Thursday already? Yikes.

Have a great day!

What was the best decision you made yesterday?

Do you have days when your workouts just feel way harder than usual?

Do you think will power is harder at night?

Comments

Oh, I’ve had the kabocha baby, too. It happens. :) I had a similar “best decision” by going to bed early last night. Felt wonderful!

kalli says:

i seriously find it crazy that ANYONE whoudl ask you if you are expecting. you are so thin! please do not think you need to cut back on food or anything kristen! you look amazing!

Oh Kalli- I totally don’t think I need to restrict anything, I just find it funny that I’ve gotten a lot of comments lately. Maybe I should just tell them it’s gas next time. LOL. :)

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? Those are ABS people! Not baby! You are the fittest woman in the blogosphere. I find that so insane.

Anyway, is that top from Lululemon? Super cute!

DUDE! You do not REMOTELY look pregnant!! Seriously! You are gorgeous and super fit and you work out like a mad woman!! Do not fall into a trap of reducing your intake! Squash it UP!!

Char says:

Will power is totally harder at night! I paced the kitchen last night after my 6 mile run wanting to eat M&M’s, but I didn’t. yay! Good for you for making that decision. Yep, I have tough workout days too (yesterday was my tough day too!). And, I can’t believe someone asked you that?! Goodness, You look amazing and are so fit. You’re my role model lady :) Keep up the good work!!

My workout felt like that this morning, but going and finishing it was the best decision I made today. Enjoy the rest of your week!

Holly says:

Congrats on going to bed early. Seriously…huge. We all know you can work out like a crazy lady…but listening to your body and getting extra sleep (for someone like you) takes some serious discipline! I made the same decision last night to go to bed early and read too (“Sarah’s Key”…great book)! And I’m glad I did! I absolutely think some workout are sooo much harder than others…funny how a 4 miler can feel harder than a 14 miler on some days. As for willpower…mine goes to total crap at night. :) BTW, WHO WHO WHO asks people if they are pregnant?!?!? T-A-C-K-Y.

I know, isn’t it funny how some days a short run feels like a stinking marathon? Weird. Glad you made the going to bed decision too. I’ll have to check out that book.

ani says:

SERIOUSLY? they asked if YOU are pregnant? what planet are they from? Some peeps have NO filter. sheesh!
    And I do have a question (you can email me) but I have been on this Hot pepper kick as in tons of jalapenos and hot sauce on food. I put it on lunch and dinner meals like it’s going out of style. I don’t run workout nearly as much as you (fraction actually) but not sure what this is related to. Is it because i’m running faster or incorporating speedwork on runs, or building a bit more strength? i’m just going with it but i could barely stand anything hot for years now that’s all I want. Would love some insight–humor allowed. ha ha!

Okay, wait, do you think the hot pepper kick is related to working out harder? That would be interesting. Mine all started when I was pregnant actually and has just gotten more intense over the years.

Samantha says:

Humph. Under stress my will-power is a challenge all day long. I ate chocolate this morning as opposed to any semblance of a balanced breakfast…that will bite me later. I have a back-up of homework, too little sleep, and I needed the sugar. That is sometimes the way it goes.

Having been asked if I have been expecting before (and not ever even been pregnant) I know it is stunning. They probably just wish they had muscles like you. LOL.

Have a great day, hopefully the sleep helped.

Tracy says:

If it makes you feel any better – I had the same thing happen to me – many, many times. I had a horrible diastasis after my son was born and just learned to not wear tight shirts. Ironically, its only now that I am pregnant again that I get to wear them! Lululemon makes a lot of great workout tops that help – ESPECIALLY the No Limits Tank. Its so hard, especially when you love to workout and be in shape and I remember calling my mom crying hysterically because people just don’t know better. It has NOTHING to do with your weight. In fact, when I consulted a plastic surgeon he told me that because I was so lean, the diastasis showed up more. So actually, because you are so lean and toned, unfortunately the diastasis is more noticeable. I am so sorry, I totally know how it feels – people seriously have NO filter!

Oh, I know it’s because I’m small that it’s more noticeable. Thanks Tracy for sharing. It’s so nice knowing others can relate. I’ll have to check out that top. And so funny that so many shirts I used to wear are banned from my wardrobe now. Congrats that you’re expecting again and can wear tight shirts! He he.

morgan says:

It is simply amazing how the little things (turning in early, taking that extra 5 minutes for yourself) totally make or break a day! my best decision last night was to not run around like a crazy woman packing odds & ends for a trip that doesn’t happen for a week, but to lay down on the floor and spend some quality time doing yoga stretches! (by myself in the dark with no music or tv or anything!) it must be the time of year when busy women actually step back & re-group :) great minds think alike.
    PS insanely jealous of all you down in the states who actually can get kabocha squash more than one seasonal month in the fall! hard to say how I will decide to prepare it once I get my hands on some…..

Morgan- so jealous of your quite yoga time. Good for you for making time for yourself. :) PS- I bought even more kabocha tonight. I think we’re lucky because we get some from Mexico. I wonder when it’ll be harder to find here?

debbie says:

I enjoy my alone time in the morning so much, I love going to bed just after my kids go to bed so I can have “me” time in the a.m.

Tonia says:

You look AMAZING!!!!!! Definitely not like you are expecting. People must be in another world!!!!! Don’t change, you look GREAT!!!!!!!

Keep the squash coming:)

Please please please don’t let those comments affect you. I actually sometimes think you look too thin and worry you don’t eat enough with how much you work out. So many women let silly comments like that influence their eating but YOU know your body and what it needs. You are beautiful lady!!

Gosh yes, some of my workouts feel like that. It frustrates me and then I realize that it’s my body’s natural way of adapting to its’ self (like lack of sleep, lack of proper nutrients, recovery…). I’ve learned to embrace those days, do what my body will with a little push, but not over do it. Sounds like you did just that!

As for the pregnant comment, totally uncalled for. Really, if you have to ask, you shouldn’t wether the person looks like they are a little or a lot. Never ask.

Yes- embracing those days is key Sarena!!! I’m learning. Hugs to you friend!!!! I keep thinking about you and all the exciting stuff you have going on over there! Weee……

Lindsay says:

I can’t believe some people think you’re pregnant! What?? They’re nuts. Glad you got a little extra rest. My body just doesn’t feel good the next day if I haven’t had enough sleep.

Brooke says:

you do NOT look pregnant. AT.ALL. !!!!

YES. if i don’t get things on my ‘to-do’ list done by 7 or 8 pm, it’s just not happening. my brain basically shuts down. :)

Becca says:

I just don’t get people. I would NEVER EVER ask someone if they were pregnant, especially if I was unsure. How does that not come across as rude? You are such an inspiration and I envy that big smile, those tiny legs, and muscular arms!!! :)
    I’ll tell you what I’ve never gotten the pregnant question, but I have been told “gosh you’re really pale” at the gym teaching a fitness class and on my own time. Ummm thanks? Is that something you think I didn’t already know? People who are jealous or self conscious like to bring others down.
    Don’t let them win!!!!

I get into bed at 9:30 PM some nights when there is nothing on TV. I’m reading Wild and it’s absolutely fabulous. My hot yoga class this morning kicked my butt. I didn’t think I was going to make it, but I pushed through and hope I will sleep like a baby tonight. Cannot believe that woman asked if you were expecting. Honestly? You are so lean and tiny where was she seeing a bump??? LOL

Kori says:

Wow! I love how everyone of us has our “fists drawn” at the thought of someone saying that to you! Just like girlfriends would do!!!! Obviously whoever said it was just jealous of your arms!!!!!! LOL
    I am in bed every night by 9pm, but I get up around 4a.m….favorite part of my day, the house seems perfectly still! That’s when I workout & shower so I am ready before anybody else gets up! Seems like I’m always tired, no matter what time I go to bed or get up????
    Best thing I did (I think) for myself today was buy a resistance band!!! Yay Thinking I’m gonna have to plant some of that squash in the garden this year!

Lisa says:

I honestly can not at all believe people would ask you such a question. That is so incredibly rude, I would never ever say something like that to anyone without knowing FOR sure. Silly people. I think people are just jealous honestly, so throw out rude things like that. I’ve had people tell me weird things like that before, that make me really upset but I just try and think of it in another way ha. I like how you lasted less than 24 hours without kabocha;) Sounds like me…I’ve been thinking of growing my own for the Spring time! Hopefully I actually do this, but I probably won’t.

Oh my goodness, I want to grow my own too! How do we do that?

• Lisa says:

Right! It would be the best! Apparantly all you have to do is take the seeds from the squash (make sure it’s a good tasting squash) and rinse them all off, dry them out (for about 5 days) on paper towel, then store the seeds in the fridge until Then next spring soak them in a little water over night and plant them.. just make sure to water them every day. How cool would that be to just have a large amount of kabocha year round!

Elle says:

I cannot believe that people say ANYTHING to anyone about pregnancies…unless they are specifically told. Anyhoooo… I just wanna know what you put on your kabocha. Mine looks so boring and yours always makes me want to eat the picture!

Donna says:

Anyone who thinks you look pregnant seriously needs their eyes checked! And their manners for that matter! You are an amazing woman with an amazing physique to match! A-W-E-S-O-M-E xx

Thanks Donna. They people who’ve commented have all been very nice actually, I must just come across as very approachable with those kind of comments. ha ha.

Melissa says:

My excitement if the day was finding new running rights for $17. And theyre a sweer redish color instead of boring black like usual. I also found a foam roller on sale for $10.. Ive never used one before but have been hearing about them more and more. Any one on here use a foam roller? If so how long before/after running do u use it and do u feel it makes much of a difference?

Jennifer Mykytiuk says:

Yea! I was in bed at 9pm last night too and I felt so great this morning after getting extra sleep! My 3 mile speed work yesterday was so stinkin’ hard yet I had run 6 miles just as fast Last Saturday! How could 3 be so hard if I knew I could do 6??!! At least I got ‘me done and even got a new PR! Have to mentally prepare for 10 fast miles on Saturay,

I seriously think that that question is ALWAYS inappropriate! I even got it once, when i was COMPETING.

P.S. Thanks to this little blog, I am completely hooked on squash and homemade English muffins at the moment!

beautiful family, and an amazing momma. Keep up all the work, you are an inspiration. :)

I am SO jealous of your evening, book and early bedtime. I always have that intention but then end up staying up way too late. PS I will NEVER ask someone if they are expecting, even if they are in their 3rd trimester!

Cheryl says:

I’ve been silently reading for awhile, and boy am I glad you posted the bit about after a hard morning workout, you have to listen to your body because the fatigue can increase the anxiety of all the little things you have to do. After a run, dog walk and 6am boot camp this morning, I didn’t refuel well (ahh) and I just felt stressed and exhausted all day. I think that’s why. Thanks for that.

Yes!!! Fatigue can affect so much. I’m learning to clue into the signs. I get so cranky and anxious and crave carbs and sugar like no other. Hope it turned around for you Cheryl!!!

Isn’t that woman code to NEVER ask another that question?! Ridiculous! I hope you don’t take that to heart–you are so fit. I agree–turning in early is never a bad move. I’m teaching some early classes this semester and have a commute, so early to bed and rise from now on!

lorie says:

Did you help her get her foot out of her mouth ha ha . Oh my gosh girl you are perfect and I want to come hang out with the awesome mom with the awesome body and the crazy life like mine. I will be bringing three kids in the stroller and we can block the streets. Oh and can we form a support team to encourage each other to GET TO BED. I think I need a parent for my bedtimes..haha.

Jessica Jones says:

It’s been hard especially on late nights to stick with my 30 day challenge of paleo but its also been easy bc I don’t have one piece of junk in my house to give in to:p oh and also those ladies are crazies and kinda need to shut their mouths! Lol

Have you seen this bleach commercial? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQRq0MYpapo

It reminds me of your (non) pregnant moment. I think you look super fantastic and not in the least bit pregnant. Maybe you just have a glow or something from working out? Mistakes happen I guess, but that’s pretty strange. Pregnant women don’t usually have abs.

EriGates says:

Kristin, you are fit and fab:)! Anyone who cannot see that has problems. And I saw your post from Lorna Jane’s wearing only the sports bra and you do not have a stomach you have a 6-pack! You must come into contact w/ some unusual people! Anyway-I always have a harder time @ night w/ will power-I eat clean all day and post dinner reuqire something chocolate or I could possibly harm someone! I try to have dark choc. chips and a handful of almonds, but still feel guilty for giving into a craving:(! I wo hard but can’t kick my sweet tooth.

Rachel says:

I had a diastasis from my twins that I thought would never go away, then I found Beth Learn at Fit2Be and mine is basically gone. I understand your pain and her exercises work. You won’t regret it. It won’t be at all what you’re used to, and her advice to me was actually to take a break from running to heal them, but it’s all working. I can’t say enough good things about her. Check out her website. http://fit2b.us/ts-totally-transverse/ Let me know what you think.

Amy says:

No way do you look like you’ve put on a single pound or look anywhere near pregnant! I empathize with you thoug…I am a mom of 4 yr old twins and a 7 yr old so diastasis is on my mind daily and I’ve also had people say ” so you’re having a 4th!?” it’s like my heart sinks every time……ugh.

Becky Przy says:

That’s insane (and rude) that anyone would ask if you are pg!

Um yes, willpower is so much harder at night–I work horrible hours and don’t get home until 11 p.m. or so….not good for the waistline–or for my ‘husbands’ cookie stash;-)

eilizabeth says:

I once asked somebody if she was pregnant and the answer was no! I will never forget it, I still remember, feel terrible and will never, ever ask that question again. I was in my twenties and a bunch of my friends were having kids and this person (in her twenties) had a puffy jacket on and the question just popped out. I have no clue what I was thinking. Dumb!

eilizabeth says:

I’m not always hungry enough to take time for a real lunch during the day and am more of a snacker, so I sometimes have to catch up on eating in the evening. I need to work on being less of a snacker and save my hunger for meals. I guess I don’t worry about eating more in the pm, as long as I have enough energy throughout the day.

Some days my run up the mountain are tough for no reason, wish I knew why my body is tired some days when I feel like I haven’t done anything unusual.

kristen says:

As a fellow twin mom with diastasis, I understand why you hate it so much. My stomach was always so flat before kids, and now I am in really good shape (though not nearly as thin as you) and my stomach pooches (plus there is the long linear indent above my belly button which is not attractive). About a year ago, I was at a point where I wanted to get it fixed, but I am really trying to convince myself that this is my badge of honor for carrying my twin boys and that the trade off is definitely worthwhile.

First of all, I have no idea how anyone could ever think you were pregnant, and why in the world they would vocalize it if they did! And second, good for you for going to bed early. I had to do that this past week one night as well, and it felt amazing! I’m a much happier person when I get my sleep. :)

You have so much energy. I can’t imagine getting up super early, teaching spin, and running 7 miles. =) Amazing.
    I don’t know how anyone could say you are expecting. Crazy talk.

1. [...] so I also want to address this whole issue from the other day really quickly. Thank you Madison for this video, by the way. Hilarious. [...]

2. [...] STUFT Mama’s “Expecting?” Reaction [...]