It’s Okay to Be Jealous of What We Found

Workouts:

Sunday-

slow 11 mile treadmill run at the gym

Monday-

AM- taught midday spin class

PM- taught HIIT class and step aerobics

ran 4 miles on the treadmill

I don’t know why people were looking at my funny on the way out of the gym.

Doesn’t everyone carry around a “thunder stick” they scored from The Nike Women’s Marathon?

Um… my legs are sore. They always are after Mondays because I teach some intense classes, but they are especially tight today. Ugh. I really need to incorporate some more stretching or figure out how to use The Stick that is still sitting on my dresser untouched. Oops.

Okay, so we have found some pretty cool things the past few days.

Let’s talk some eats first.

Leftover gourmet green pancakes are just as good as new when you dress them up the right way.

If you’re really pressed for time and you have some toddler pizza lovers on your hands, you can whip up these healthy pizza roll ups in about 2 minutes.

Take a Flatout wrap (or whole wheat tortilla), put a little marinara and cheese (preferably mozzarella, but anything works) on it.

Microwave it and roll it up. Easy, cheesy.

If you can’t wait until the afternoon for your huge bowl of roasted kabocha squash it can be breakfast instead.

This Scotty B’s sweet habanero sauce goes really well with the easiest hot and sweet salad dressing on a chicken salad.

IMG_6750 IMG_6752

Too bad I just ran out (and dug the bottle out of the trash to take a picture for you). Beavis.

Thanks to my friend Elizabeth and the sample of the new Nuun cherry limeade flavor from the After-NUUN Rehydration event, this awesome drink was created.

In the cup: 1/2 Nuun cherry limeade tablet, 1/2 Nuun kona cola tablet, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 5 drops liquid stevia, a little lemon juice, water and ice.

Yep. Good stuff and it has a little caffeine. Love that. Dang, if I could only get my hands on some more of that cherry limeade. Word on the street is that it’s not coming out until March. That seems so far away.

I know I said I need a bigger bowl the other day. My little problem is getting worse. This was last night’s dinner.

So many things piled in that darn bowl. Roasted broccoli slaw, non dairy kale chips, salad, marinara sauce, Cholula, crushed red pepper, nutritional yeast and a grain free garlicky microwave muffin.

Oh, and a side note really quick, since I get home late on Mondays I’m usually eating dinner by myself after everyone’s in bed.  When I was putting the boys to bed Judah asked me if I was going to eat on the couch in my pajamas with my silly glasses on. Funny guy.

And yes, yes I did.

Ha ha. While catching the first little bit of The Biggest Loser. Why the heck hasn’t my best friend Bob worn the Pro Compression socks I gave him yet? I’m getting a little upset. What were those leggings all about last night?

Oh, and I made that same GNC cake batter protein shake last night again, but made it a little thicker so I could eat it in a Flatout cinnamon crisp bowl.

Looks like I need a bigger one of those too. Ha ha.

Recipe coming soon for that, but I did too much ice cream talk yesterday and I have something else really darn exciting to share.

Ready?

We found the COOLEST thing in our backyard the other afternoon.

STUFT Daddy had been trying to tell me we had a squash in the backyard for over a week. I thought he was making it up or just trying to tease me. By the way, growing kabocha squash in the backyard is my dream. I’m so on it next year. Just think of the money we could save.

Anyway……  I figured he didn’t really know what he was talking about.

I should know better. I was wrong.

So, so wrong.

Do you see that?

Ahhhhh!!!!

So freaking awesome!

We have no idea how it got there. Andrew said the vine started way up by the deck and went all the way down. I’m guessing a seed fell when I was taking one of my bazillion pictures of roasted squash on the railing. Who knows.

I even taught the boys to take pictures with my phone to celebrate our find.

Yeah, that’s right, the boys took those pictures. I was impressed too. Someone is a little better at it, but it’s not nice to compare.

I am sooooooooo excited about this darn squash, it’s kind of embarrassing.

It’s a butternut one, right?

Eeeekkk…I can’t wait to roast it up.

Okay, that’s enough of my jabbering. My dark chocolate peppermint mocha was a little strong this morning. We needed a good dose of caffeine since we had a little trouble keeping our eyes open this morning.

Yes, we.

Ha ha.

Have a great Tuesday!

Have you ever found anything super cool in your backyard?

Anyone grow their own squash?

Comments

SO EXCITING!!! Can’t wait to see how you cook it up!

That’s pretty awesome! Looks like you should plant a few of them and grow your own.
    I have to admit that I may be more jealous that you have cherry limeade NUUN already!!! :)

Nice find!!! I would love to find avocados in my yard but I’m pretty sure we live in the wrong climate (and they sort-of need a tree, I guess).
    And, I ‘m pretty sure that I’m going to try the pizza roll-ups (for me) soon!!!!

That is a butternut squash!! Holy cow, that’s awesome! What I would give to be able to grow my own squash! Love the monster salads, too. Doesn’t get any better than a huge bowl of goodness like that. :)

OMG that’s awesome!! Is it ridiculous that I’m excited for you and your find? :-)

That squash is HUGE and cannot wait to see what happens when you cook that bad boy up! :) Have a fabulous Tuesday and soak up that San Diego sun for me. It’s freaking freezing here on the east coast.

Suzanne says:

I have grown my own squash but only summer squash (zucchini). Super cool find!

I can’t believe you are able to grow stuff outside in January….I am LIVING IN THE WRONG STATE For Sure!!! Plus, you are wearing shorts…..jealous? YES DANG IT I AM!!!

But, in a “I’m happy for you and your squash kind of way”..ha!

That is amazing that a squash just grew in your yard! What an awesome surprise!

aleesha says:

Great picture of “Kitty”……he found a sunny spot to take a nap standing up. he,he. Great picture of your new “found squash” how perfect!

You need to take that picture of Kitty and use it for inspirational quotes. It kind of reminds me of a Buddha or a God, with the light shining down on him from the heavens?…. Far stretch, I know. But it would be perfect for a quote like: It is during our darkest moments that we focus to see the light… Or “Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.” Haha. That last one is from Yoda :)

Lisa says:

Coolest thing ever! I’m sure that would make my year. I replied to a comment on one of your posts, forget which one now about growing your own kabocha! Apparently it’s super easy, and I’m totally 100% doing it! Can’t wait ha. It certainly would save a ton of cash.

Elle says:

Before we moved onto the boat I had a huge veggie garden. I grew zukes but we never had a long enough growing season there for larger squashes. How great that you grew one without even trying.

The Captain says that Bob wore those leggings last week too but I don’t remember them.

debbie says:

Don’t grow squash, but do grow vegies in the summertime & yes, it is soooo exciting. I love our garden. So exciting & much more special when you grow your own. I’d love to have a farm. That’d be the best, but not in Chicago.

Kori says:

we once found a turtle!!!! Not as cool as your “solo squash”, but still….a real live turtle! ha ha

Sarah says:

I am so jealous of your squash!! And look at Kitty!!

So much I want to comment on so I will number it:
    1. Great idea on the pizza roll ups. Definitely trying that for my girls.
    2. I’m dying to try that cherry limeade nuun. Great thinking with the ACV in it.
    3. You totally have me watching every week for Bob to wear his ProCompression socks.
    4. Cool squash! we had a veggie garden last summer and it was so awesome. I wonder if I can grow avocadoes?

Sherry says:

Too cool. Squash in your backyard! Have fun with that! I wish I lived close to you to do a few private yoga sessions with you. You would benefit in so many ways. Unfortunately, I’m all the way in Cleveland.

Janae@hungryrunnergirl says:

BAHAHAH That is so perfect for you!!! I bet you were freaking out:) Okay all of your food looks so good and I especially want the pizza roll-up!! Hope you are having a great day gorgeous friend!

I am so jealous of that squash!!! None of mine came up… not even 1! I recorded TBL last night, so I’m off to watch Bob! I think of you every time I see him!!

We found a few deer right behind our fence last week! I am going to put them on the blog one day soon!! =) =)
    How do you not pass out from teaching 3 classes at the gym and running? Holy cow.
    YAY for squash btw – so glad you found that!
    PS. You inspired me – I bought an acorn squash at the store this week. I used to eat them ALL the time a few years ago – i”d nuke ‘em in some water and then put a little S&P with a touch of butter. Perfection =)

Becky Przy says:

That is too funny about the squash! It looked so funny sitting in all the green in your backyard. My husband grows squash –I eat it. He kept telling me he didn’t like sqush–I am kinda mad that I ever made him try it…now I have to fight him for it;-)

1. [...] And hey, someone’s getting better at his photography skills. [...]

2. [...] you’re wondering, I have not broken down and bought any new kabochas. I did however finally roast that homegrown butternut squash from about a month ago and did it up just like I usually do my sweet roasted kabocha [...]