Trying To Take It Easy

Thursday Workout:

AM- a slow 5 miler on the treadmill

PM- taught a Y50X class and a strength class

My legs are tight and tired. So is my whole body actually. Not the best condition to be in a couple days before a marathon. Oopsies. Oh well, I’m forcing myself to take it easy the next two days.

Dang it, I’m just not good at taking things easy though. There’s always more that needs to be done. I’m pretty sure some of you feel the same way though too, right? Why can’t we just give ourselves a break?

Anyway….

STUFT Daddy just let Kitty and I sleep in. What a gem. He must have known I needed it.

I was seriously exhausted yesterday.

Obviously I had to use this cup.

I was even too tired to brew up my own espresso. I had to go the Tassimo route.

In my delirious state I even asked Judah to take a picture because my pajamas matched my mug.

That probably wasn’t the best idea. No one wants to see that. And yes, I am very aware that I’m not a pretty sight in the morning.

Or at night on my way into the gym to teach classes actually.

It was a bit of a rough day.

I didn’t even take any food pictures yesterday until my 9:30 dinner.

BBQ Chicken Pizza made on the grain free microwave pizza crust. Served up with a little broccoli slaw BBQ bake.

This dinner just isn’t getting old anytime soon.

So yeah, the Carlsbad Marathon is Sunday. It has totally snuck up on me. The last two years I’ve ran it I’ve been totally sick. I’m determined to not let that happen this year. For the next two days I’m really going to force myself to take it easy for the next couple of days.

Instead of working out, I’m planning on just hanging with my men and resting.

So, goals for the race.

I really don’t know. I would love to get a PR, but I don’t like to put a lot of pressure on myself. I don’t want to be disappointed in the outcome. I run and race because I love it. Sometimes I have the urge to get really competitive, but in trying to balance all aspects of my crazy life, I really can’t justify putting that much time and effort into training really hard right now.

The couple weeks that I tried to train hard I was a grumpy mess. So I had to scale back and realize that really, I just want racing to be something that is somewhat competitive, but also just my therapy.

My friend Skinny Runner wrote a really great post yesterday answering running questions and the answer to what she was training for was LIFE. I love that. I’ve realized over the past few months that that’s really where my head is at too.

I don’t necessarily want to be the fastest runner. I want to be a better person because of my love of running.

I’m going to play it by ear Sunday at the race. I’ll be happy with a 3:30ish. If I’m feeling it and decide to get really uncomfortable, then I may shoot for a 3:20 and a new PR, but I just don’t know if that’s in my radar.

Okay enough running chat. Geesh, didn’t mean to get so sappy.

Okay, I’m off to take it easy today and keep those same fabulous pajamas on for awhile. He he.

Here’s a little picture to make your day a little brighter.

boys pants down

You’re welcome.

Have a good one!

There’s still time to enter the Pro Compression giveaway!

Comments

I agree, it can be tough to take it easy sometimes but then you are so grateful when you actually feel fresh during your race. Good luck this weekend and run strong!!

Stacey says:

Funny I just posted on Facebook that today is a rest day and why is that so hard for me? Love your blog! Good luck on Sunday!

I may not be as fast as you, but I have your same racing outlook recently. Lower pressure racing has worked the best for me recently. Still love a new PR, but since running isn’t my job, it still needs to be fun!! It’s all about balance – my word for this year. ;)

Yes yes yes!! I needed to take a serious step back and evaluate my priorities. It’s helped so much the past month. Balance is my word for life. If only I could get there…. :)

Are you kidding me?! You’re always a gorgeous sight!

I know lots of people running Carlsbad so I may see you out there. I’ll be sure to scream and shout for you! BEST OF LUCK ON SUNDAY!

You will do great on your marathon…come on…You Are a MOM of TWINS after all…you can do anything!!! (And Everything!!) ;-)

Rest …Run…and write your Recap. ;-)

Katie H. says:

I agree–whenever I start to take my training too seriously, I start to dislike running. I dread the time I spend out there on the road. That is NOT what I want at all! So, while I enjoy a good PR (who doesn’t??), my number one priority is always to make my running fun.

skinnyrunner says:

thanks for the shoutout, friend. :) see you sunday!

Yoga women Yoga!!! Tonight. Dont do it tomorrow or you may be too tight on sunday

Oh that last picture made me laugh :)
    About your race though–I haven’t run a marathon before, just a few halfs and 5ks, but even when I run for daily workouts I find myself getting SO competitive with myself! In retrospect, it’s stupid, but when I’m running i have thee hardest time just running to enjoy it and instead always want to go further or get a faster time. It’s silly, and I love that phrase you used from SkinnyRunner–it’s about training for LIFE. I’ll remember that :)

I’m in the same boat as far as my thoughts on running. I went through so many years of training, training and more training to get faster and faster. I suffered through all sorts of injuries as a result. Now, I just love to run. Just for the heck of it. I rarely pay attention to my speed. If I feel like going faster, I do. If I want to take it easy, I do. I just want to be out there and enjoying it. :)

Why have I not made this pizza crust? I’m thinking that would be the perfect Friday night dinner! Love the last shot! Boys will be boys!!!

Lindsay says:

I think you’re being really smart to get some great rest before your big race. Good luck!! And that picture of your boys is adorable :)

CoMo says:

Take it easy and rest those legs lady, you DESERVE a bit of rest time, especially heading into a marathon! Good luck at your race!!! Enjoy doing EPIC STUFF…STUFT MAMA! :-)

jennifer says:

Good luck Sunday! I love hearing about your races! It inspires me to train harder and run faster! I have a local half tomorrow and am feeling under the weather. Hoping to be well enough to run fast in the morning!

Sara Grambusch says:

LOL, best picture ever. Rest up and just have fun on Sunday!

I need to get that mom that cup but need to add mother of twins and two more girls!!!!
    xoxo

lindsay says:

the less pressure you put on yourself, the more you can ENJOY it, right? Good luck sunday! wish i could come cheers!”

p.s.
    Take a week vacation! you need it, you deserve it! lay on a beach and sleep. hehe

Best of luck to you this weekend, friend! I’ll be thinking of you! You are way speedier than me, so I know that 3:20 is within your reach… but I also love your thoughts about training for fun, and for life… it’s not all about speed all the time. Hope you get to rest up, too!

Super cute picture!!!
    Good luck taking it easy as you get ready for the marathon! I hope you just need a little rest and aren’t sick!! Hope you feel awesome running and reach the PR!!

I actually picked up some slaw on that store yesterday and thought of you. I think it will be a nice add in and change up to some of my meals. CLASSIC photo of the boys. Too funny and thank you for the laugh! XO Good luck on Sunday!

Kanoelani says:

BAHAHHA Love pic of the boys! Good luck on your race on Saturday… I just know you’ll do well. I’ve been having the same problem but life not really racing LOL! I pile way too much on myself & then seem to go crazy & regret it later. I must slow my self down LOL! I was supposed to do all this stuff today… uh yeah so didn’t happen. I wanted to lay around & chillax hehe!!! :-D ANd as always love your blog & you are such an inspiration to me.

debbie says:

So funny you posted the pic of the boys outside with their pants down!
    That’s how I potty trained my boys.
    They loved to go outside & pee. It was magical!!!!! Although, people found it quite odd that they’d be inside & have to go out to the yard to pee.
    Whatever works!!!!!!!!

Char says:

Your boys are too cute! Good luck this weekend. Love your concept for running for life. Keep it up!!

1. [...] it and train well, but not let training take over my life. Does that make sense? Just like I said in this post, I want to race to be a better person and inspire others, not to be the fastest. Yeah, I get [...]