Birthday Blessings

Thursday Workout:

Taught Y50X class (HIIT) and strength training class at the Y

I had planned on hopping on the treadmill after teaching classes last night. But, after my classes were done I wasn’t really feeling it anymore. I didn’t want this darn head cold to get worse and I really wanted to let my body rest a little bit more.

It made me think a little bit. There are nights when I drag myself on the treadmill because I’m training for a race and I need to log a certain number of miles, but last night wasn’t one of those nights. I gave myself a much needed break. I don’t have any big races in the near future and I want to be smart about things for a change. It was nice to listen to my body and just take the night off.

I’m usually not good at taking time off to let my body recover. Then I usually pay for it by getting sick or hitting a wall a week or so after a big race. I’m trying to do things differently this time. My coach said to not run at all this week and take it easy teaching my classes. Obviously he doesn’t know me that well yet. Ha.

Here’s a short little article I found from Women’s Running on Recovery Rules. It has some good tips on what to do immediately following a race and for the next couple of days. I can’t say that I follow these rules, but I really should make more of an effort.

So instead of going for a treadmill run after my classes, I took pictures of my workout outfit instead.

Lorna Jane tank and sparkly black sports bra (that I got during this store visit), some handful bra pads stuffed in the bra, Lululemon pants, a BIC Bands headband and my Reebok Real Flex shoes.

I sported that workout tank and bra all day actually, with another Lorna Jane shirt over it. Less laundry if you just wear your workout clothes all day.

Speaking of Lorna Jane, you can now purchase clothes nationwide on the website (you don’t have to shop through the Australian website or just in the CA stores). Pretty cool for us US folks.

So, yeah, yesterday was my birthday. I’m old. I feel like I’m in my twenties and I refuse to grow up, but seriously, I’m old.

It was awesome. I’m pretty sure it was the perfect birthday. I’m in a very grateful mood so I kinda feel like dumping all my birthday blessings on you. There’s way too many, but I want to share anyway. I really should stop dumping on you like this, but not today. It’s my birthday post.

I got to sleep in a bit yesterday. Then I got the best gift ever from my boys.

We all hung out at our usual family spot for a bit in the morning.

IMG_9429IMG_9430IMG_9432

We decided to cut it short after the seagulls showed up. I’m not kidding, seagulls love to poop on me. I’m not a big fan of those things.

While we made our way to the playground this happened.

Yep, that’s our boy. We’re so proud.

Oh and hey, my Flat Kitty friend decided to show up at our family breakfast.

What a guy.

I know it was all coincidence that it happened on my birthday, but we got some seriously cool packages yesterday.

Check out the new Pro Compression goods.

I’m especially excited about the orange and red marathon socks. Pro Compression gear is just the best friends.

I also got this 110% Compression Gear to try out and review.

Um, yeah, a combination of compression pants and ice? Sounds freaking amazing doesn’t it?

IMG_6905IMG_6907IMG_6908

Don’t you go stealing my ice packs kiddo. Mama’s going to need those.

Somehow we made it on the cool list and got a special sneak peak at some new Chobani goodies too.

It was hard to keep the boys away from those Champions Tubes long enough to take a few pictures, but I bribed them of course.

With not one, but two tubes each.

They have been asking for Chobani Champions in a tube for a very long time. They finally got their wish and approved the Jammin’ Strawberry and Rockin’ Blueberry right away.

I finally got my wish for the new Chobani bite size yogurts and a pretty darn cool yogurt eating spoon.

What is my deal with loving cool silverware?

(Yep, Judah was taking the picture again. One of these days we’ll have to start sharing the blog profits.)

And finally, we got some NuttZo.

This stuff is amazing.

Obviously I had that jar open as soon as the boys went down for their naps.

Obviously I put a huge gob of the deliciousness on my roasted kabocha squash along with some PB2 and GNC ice cream dream protein frosting.

Oh my NuttZo.

I’m so happy to have this back in the house.

Last night was just a normal Thursday night. I left the men to do their work

while I went to teach at the gym.

I had a late night dinner of roasted broccoli slaw with a salad and chicken. Pretty much the same dinner for the third night in a row.

I added a few artichoke hearts to the roasting pan this time.

And since it was my birthday and all and my sister-in-law politely reminded me that my special skill is to eat three desserts in one sitting,

I fit about three desserts all in one bowl.

That’s how I do it.

Cake batter protein shake (made thick like ice cream) on some chocolate peanut butter chip Vitatops with some peanut butter, a graham cracker and those dangerous dark chocolate covered pretzel thins from Trader Joe’s. I won’t be buying them again anytime soon. Seriously, dangerous.

Happy freaking birthday to me. Ha ha ha.

And….

Happy freaking Friday to you!

We’ve got a busy weekend ahead and I promise my next post will NOT be a dump.

What are your thoughts on race recovery?

Do you have a favorite nut butter?

Comments

Love you friend! So glad you had such a wonderful birthday!! Love all the things you received in the mail! AJ had the strawberry yogurt tube yesterday and loved it!! =) =) The package also says we can freeze it so I’m thinking of trying that too – kind of like an yogurt ice pop!!!
    PS. Can’t wait to see what that Ice/compression gear is! Looking forward to a review from you! xoxoxo

Kori says:

Happy Birthday! You have an absolutely stunning family! BTW how do people get their pic on here (in the comment section)?

debbie says:

Happy Birthday. GREAT goods! Seriously my favorite pb is from Trader Joes. I do like NuttZo, but it seems so oily. Hmm…..
    I’m gonna try my own cookie nut butter, got a great recipe- can’t wait to try! YUM.
    Enjoy your birthday weekend!

So…you are not old since you are younger than me. ;-)

January 31st baby huh? Mine is right around the corner…Feb. 11th to be exact. Hmmm….maybe ProCompression is reading this and they could surprise me with a little birthday bag too??? Love the red and orange socks (as in our email….teamorange!!!)

Except I already put the order in for a DQ ice cream cake for my B-day celebration. Pretty sure I will be exercising for a month to wear that off but I don’t care….I LOVE IT!!! (You only turn 44 once ya know!) ;-)

lindsay says:

you are one hot young mama! and l love that you had a great day of blessings on your bday!

p.s.
    Nuttzo is our FAVORITE!

so glad you had a happy birthday!! And it’s great to hear that you listened to your body and let it rest–I know how difficult that can be! Mostly it’s just difficult mentally ;) Happy Friday!

Happy Birthday! Your dessert to end the day certainly looks like a delicious birthday treat.
    Your kabocha squash bowls always make me so jealous, I can never find any near me..boo hoo! :(

Pam says:

Happy belated birthday Kristin! You are not old. I am 43 and despite what my teenaged kids tell me, I am not old either. Looks like you had a lovely day with family and a three dessert celebration that I would be totally in on!
    As far as nut butters go, I am a Trader Joe’s unsalted almond butter kind of girl myself. Rarely go a day without it.
    Continue to rest, though it may be difficult. You will thank yourself for it.

So first off, Happy Birthday :) And second, I love your photo dumps. So awesome.

As are your dessert bowls…. But question: are you going to have a celebratory cake still? I was literally just talking to my friends about this yesterday and it was unanimous. You can’t have a birthday without real cake.

Sounds like you had an incredible birthday! I’m glad you got to spend time with your men! That is really the best way to celebrate, in my opinion.

As for running recovery, I’m soaking up as much info as I can, so I’m off to read that article. I had a friend tell me about the 110% compression icing socks. She loves them.

Happy Birthday!!! Mine is on Tuesday!! Glad to see you had a great day :) thanks for always being so inspiring

Joy says:

Happy Birthday!! I looks like a fabulous day all around. And what great goodies you got!

I still love peanut butter the best, but a close second is almond butter.

Love it! So glad you had a great birthday. How could it not be awesome with all those goodies? Oh, yeah… I guess family time helps too. ;)

Nutzo is really good! But I do believe my favorite nut butter is now whatever is homemade! I usually make peanut and almond butter. It just tastes so darn fresh, I love it. :)

Just got a pair of ProCompression socks last night, and have them on right now. So far, so good! And the purple color is so fun, too! Thanks for the link for the discount–that was seriously awesome.

I love his shirt with the eggs and bacon :) And I want to try that nutzo stuff :) Happy birthday and Happy Friday!

sherry says:

I just received my Nuttzo order. too — taking advantage of the discount you told us lucky readers about :) That is good nut butter, however, my fav is my homemade almond butter — with a little cinnamon (vietnamese from Penzey’s YUM!), pink Himalayan sea salt and coconut palm sugar … the best.

Happy Belated Birthday! Looks like it was fab!

Paulina says:

Couldnt resist saying HAPPY BIRTHDAY – birthdays are my favorite. Loved the ProCompression gear – thinking I might splurge and get some before the big race in a few weeks. Enjoy the weekend!

Lindsay says:

Sounds like you had such a great birthday! You are one very cool mama :D

Kim Perry says:

I’m proud of you for listening to your body & resting!!!
    Happy birthday! :) I love the necklace your boys got you! So sweet!

Happy Birthday! Looks like you had an awesome day and you sure do deserve it! :)

Maureen says:

Happy Birthday!! Looks like the perfect day to me:) My absolute favorite nutbutter is Justin’s Maple Almond Butter – it’s almost too good.

Happy birthday! Looks like youhad a great day!!!

Susan says:

I have to tell you that I have a knee brace from 110 % Play Harder, and I love loveLOVE it! I scored one for free at the Army Ten Miler Expo, and use it all the time! The compression feels amazing and the ice pak is great,although,I just prefer to ice myself, but when I drive somewhere to run(into DC), I put that ice pak on for the drive home, then ice myself later… Great products!
    Also, Flat Kitty has met Flat Ducky at Kilmer Middle School. More to come…………

Leanne says:

Happy Birthday! Your boys make the silliest faces in your photos. Looks like you had a great day.

Stephanie says:

Happy belated Birthday! Love the necklace. I’m a mom of 3 boys.

I’m so glad you took it (a little) easy when you are feeling under the weather. Recovery can be hard, but it’s the BEST thing you can do (you know that!). :)

Stephanie says:

That’s a great necklace! Happy birthday.

The Carlsbad marathon really did me in. I got a blister underneath a toenail, and (TMI ahoy!) it got infected. So I have had an enforced recovery because I can barely walk on the darned thing. I think the antibiotics are finally starting to take hold, so fingers crossed. I am dying to break a sweat! I’m going to try a stationary bike this weekend, because I think I’ll be able to pedal as long as I stay in the saddle. ANYWAY, I guess my muscles are getting an excellent recovery, but my brain is antsy.

I have trouble controlling myself with nut butters of ANY variety, so I don’t usually have them in the house! Man, I love peanut butter.

I totally get the brain being antsy thing. Hope your toe feels better soon. And….. I have trouble controlling myself with any nut butter too. Dangerous stuff.

rhonda says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :)

kathy o says:

Happy HAPPY Birthday!!

Lisa says:

Happy Birthday beautiful lady!!! Enjoy some kabocha today;) I’ll be celebrating with kabocha too….I’m so happy you had a blessed and wonderful birthday! That’s always fantastic.

ProKPR says:

Happy Birthday. I love the pic instead of the treadmill excuse. Sounds great to me. :)

Janelle says:

hi kristin! i’ve been reading your blog for a while, but this is my first time commenting. happy birthday!!! your boys are adorable. i love that picture of one of them peeing in the park….i have 2 boys and have had the same thing happen before. :) and seagulls have a tendancy to poop on me too. i always run for cover whenever any bird fly over me (my husband makes fun of me). i have 110% knee compression sleeves and i LOVE them. and the ice packs are great too! are those chobani yogurt tubes in stores? if so, i must find some for my boys.

I don’t think the tubes are in stores yet. Soon though. Thanks for commenting Janelle. :) Yeah, seagulls are just lame. Ha ha. Have a great weekend with your boys!!!

It sounds like you had a pretty fabulous birthday and I LOVE that necklace!!

Anna W. says:

Happy Birthday, Kristin!!

Happy Belated Birthday! Looks like a ton of fun and those boys are adorable!

Sharisse says:

Happy belated birthday! That necklace is precious. What a great day you had celebrating!

Happy Birthday!!! Looks like it was a great family day!!! (best kind of birthday!)
    And, I love the tank!

Glen says:

Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday! I really want to try NuttZo! I love Justin’s maple almond butter!

Jennifer says:

Happy late birthday! I emailed your coach about a training program! Woohoo! Excited to get started!

Holly says:

Happy Birthday! You are only as old as you feel…so if, on most days, that’s in your 20′s..well then! Glad you had such a great day!

Deb E. says:

Looks like you had a great birthday. Love that necklace, which says it all. Your posts make me wish sometimes I was married with children (I said “sometimes”!) Have a great weekend!

Cameron says:

I’m glad that you had a lovely birthday! The necklace is so cute. It’s the perfect gift! My favorite peanut butter would have to be Justin’s! For almond butter, I love Once Again brand. Nut butter is so good! I really want to try Nutzo sometime, too!

Happy Birthday (late) to you!!! Haven’t tried the Choboni tubes but have tried GoGurt tubes frozen = works like a charm & great with teething babes :) I want your dessert, yum! Just ordered my first pair of ProCompression sleeves, in love! Already have the socks. Hope your weekend is great!

Alex says:

Hi! Happy Belated Birthday! I’m so jealous of those Chobani bites and that dessert. Like, very :)
    So glad you had a wonderful day with your family! (and food, of course;))

Leigh S. says:

Happy (very) belated birthday, Kristin. As always, your boys are adorable and funny. Have an awesome after-birthday week!

1. [...] top of some roasted kabocha squash just like this huge bowl I scarfed down on my [...]