Planning For Boston and The Inner Runner

Monday Workouts:

AM- ran 4 miles on the treadmill at the gym

taught 45 minute spin class

PM- taught Y50X class (HIIT type class) and step aerobics at the Y

Well, hello.

It’s a gloomy day around here which fits my mood perfectly. I’m just kind of “blah” today. Does anyone else have those days?

I’m ready to feel better and get back into running, but I know I have to be smart and take it easy while I’m getting over this darn cold. Poop on winter colds. They’re not nice.

Anyhoo…..

Some happenings from the day yesterday.

I had the best savory breakfast STUFTwich on my favorite bread with a little Trader Joe’s turkey bacon.

IMG_6943_thumb

I paired it with a green tea juice drink I concocted. I thought I was miraculously going to feel better after I drank a green drink. It didn’t happen, but the drink was pretty good.

IMG_6941_thumb

In the mix (or actually, in my Vita)- kale, lemon juice, Yogi brewed Kombucha green tea (2 packets), 1/2 pack of CocoaVia summer citrus, a tablespoon apple cider vinegar, cinnamon and a couple drops of Stevia.

IMG_6940_thumb

I didn’t have time for my usual big bowl of roasted kabocha squash with all the fixings in the afternoon so I took my squash on the road to the gym and ate it like chips.

IMG_9603_thumb[2]

I sucked down a dark chocolate peppermint mocha with Silk unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

IMG_9604_thumb[1]

May not have been the best idea to consume that much squash before teaching a high intensity class, but oh well.

After the gym, I wanted to experiment for dinner with a little variation of a cauliflower pizza crust. I suckered the boys into helping me with the “magic cauliflower machine”.

IMG_9605_thumbIMG_9606_thumb

The end pizza result came out pretty well.

It didn’t stay together though, but the recipe I used is worth sharing so a follow up post will be on the way later.

I finished off the night watching the first half hour or so of The Biggest Loser (just waiting for my friend Bob to wear those darn Pro Compression socks I gave him) eating the entire pizza and then having a little Chobani bite cup for dessert.

They have these new cups out and every flavor sounds delicious. We were lucky enough to get the Raspberry  with Dark Chocolate Chips and the Coffee with Dark Chocolate Chip, but I pretty much want all the new flavors. Ha ha.

So…..

The Boston Marathon is in 10 weeks. Yeah. That’s pretty darn soon.

Here’s the thing.

I want to train for it and train well, but not let training take over my life. Does that make sense? Just like I said in this post, I want to race to be a better person and inspire others, not to be the fastest. Yeah, I get competitive, but racing is more than that to me and right now, I need to make family duties come first.

When I first started working with my coach, I told him I wanted to break a 3:00 marathon. That’s pretty nutty. Who knows, if I trained hard enough and long enough I just might be able to do it, but I’m not sure if right now is the time.

There were a couple of weeks not too long ago where I was training too much. I was tired, irritable, my body wasn’t happy, I wasn’t patient with the boys, etc. I don’t want that to happen again.

I was talking to Coach Jason the other night to kind of figure out the plan for Boston. He asked me how serious I was about getting better and my answer was “eh, I don’t know”. That’s the truth. I’d honestly rather be a better mom right now than a faster runner. That’s actually harder for me. I told him I had to put my boys first.

So, that’s the plan over here. I have a lot of races coming up in the next few months that I’m doing for fun. I just want to stay healthy and enjoy them. I’m going to try to keep my mileage up, do some speed work at least once a week on my own and somehow attempt to find the balance between career, running, motherhood, etc.

Good luck, huh?

I’ve got my little training notebook ready.

I’m using Jason’s book Running a Marathon for Dummies to map out a training plan for the next 10 weeks, but I’m not going to put too much pressure on myself about it.

The book has some really easy to follow plans (three different levels- beginner, intermediate and advanced) if you’re looking for a training plan to do on your own.

I’m doing a modified version on the advanced plan with decreased mileage. I’m trying to take things up right about here this week depending on how I’m feeling (minus a few runs and extra miles, etc.).

Okay, enough about that. Just had to share since that’s where my head has been the past couple of days.

I’m trying to get my priorities figured out over here.

Here’s a really cool video of Coach Jason talking about running. I love it for so many reasons. If you’ve experienced that “inner runner” feeling, you know what he’s talking about.

I fell in love with running just a couple years ago. Running might not be your thing, but I believe you can have the same feeling with anything you’re passionate about.

A little motivation from Coach Jason.

Have a wonderful day!

Comments

Andrea says:

Sounds like a great plan for Boston! You are inspiring in my mind just for qualifying for it! :)

Yikes! Those 2 a days look serious! I’ve never done that, but I would feel like such a badass if I did!

Mollie K says:

I am not a mama yet…one day :) but i just love your awareness of your role as a mama and i think you’re awesome!! And to balance being a mom, fitness instructor, and runner is a pretty amazing accomplishment…. On top of all the wonderful identities you have! Hope you feel better soon

Your Monday’s are exhausting…no wonder you are feeling a little ill….I think you should have called in sick and really rested your body. hahaha….who am I to tell you what to do??? You got it going on waaaaay more than I ever will.

Keep doing what you are doing and Boston will be a piece of cake for you…or at least have one after you run. ;-)

Good for you! I think admitting you’re not at a point to put in the work and want to focus on other things is fantastic!! You’ve got your entire life to get faster, but family comes first. Go girl! :)

marathon training is so hard for me…i need that dummies book :) ahah…but you seem like a pro at running, i think your good!

misszippy says:

I loved this post b/c I love seeing people keeping the balance in a way that makes sense for them. When your gut tells you it’s not right, it’s not always easy to follow. I still know you have amazing talent and whether you choose to push for that goal now or later, you’ll get your goal when the time is right. Good job!

Oh…… I want to get better and see what I’m capable of, but trying to find out how to make that happen with everything else is tough. If it’s meant to be, it’ll work out. So glad your training is going well!!!!

Good for you on Boston! That’s my dream race! I was on par in 2010 when I ran Chicago but the darn heat slowed me down in the final 10 miles and I missed it!!

heather says:

I just want to congratulate you for all the working out and running you do. It seems so many people struggle to find the time to work out and you are working out & excelling at it, along with being a great Mom. Also good on you for stopping to prioritize your life before you get a few years down the road and wish you had made this change. Good luck!!

Briana says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on balancing running with motherhood and work. As a mom of three with a full-time job, I too struggle with fitting everything in and trying to be the best at everything. I’m also training for boston and have similar goals (that change from week to week). On another note, I’ve stocked up on kabocha squash and fallen in love with pro compression socks since I’ve been reading your blog…two things I’d never heard of!! Keep at it Kristin. You’re an inspiration and a lot of fun!

Oh Briana- Yeah the whole mom and trying to do it all thing is so so hard. Maybe we should chat in Boston. He he. Soooooo glad you’ve fallen for kabocha and Pro Compression. :) Hang in there.

Holly says:

Your priorities sure seem to be in the right place. As a mom and a racer, I can appreciate the struggle. And, I knew YOU would be the only one, probably on the planet, who will appreciate this….I finally found Kabocha at my grocery store. I’ve been wanting to try it since seeing it on your blog and am so jealous watching you eat it every day . Yay…seriously. I’m really excited about this. haha Hope you feel better soon.

That sounds like a great plan Kristin and your priorities and heart are in the right place. It’s so hard to balance everything – it’s such a struggle but you have to follow your heart. And your boys! I know that you are still going to run an incredible race. Now I have go eat some kabocha because your pictures have made me hungry!

Training book? For you? You are a pro! You run marathons in your sleep.

Jennifer says:

So, this is my struggle right now too. I am just starting my training for the San Fran marathon with this training guide. It is more running than I have ever done before. I don’t know how I am going to fit in 5 days a week AND work full time AND be a good mom. I’m trying to adapt it to my life. I also have decided that I don’t care how much faster I am this time than last years, I just want it to be easier- because I have trained for it. And.. any ideas how I can quickly build up my mileage so I do not injure myself?? I am currently running 15 a week and the guide starts with 30 miles a week… and I need to have started the guide a week ago!! Thanks for your motivation. I am SO excited about you running Boston!

Well shoot. First don’t stress, but I’d increase your miles each week as long as you feel okay doing it. I would increase by like 5 miles or so each week, but I don’t really know what I’m talking about. Ha ha. Good luck with training!!!

Oh friend, I hear ya. Setting up priorities and keeping them under control are the hardest part for me. Just when I think I have it all together (or at least mostly) it all seems to fall apart. I know you’ll get there! Good for you for finding a focus.

Sarah says:

You’re running Boston? That is so exciting! I know you can do it!! You’re awesome like that. Just rest up and get better right now. Wish I could come up there and cheer you on!!

Christina says:

Hey Stuft! I am pretty sure I saw Bob wearing your socks this week, or maybe it was last week….it was at the beginning of the show, and I think he was talking to Bingo on the couch. They were black socks, I will check again!

you are so inspiring, no matter your time! you inspire so many just to get out there and try!

best of luck with your training!

Brooke P. says:

It is such a breath of fresh air to read about a Mom whose desires and motivations are so pure! We live in a World full of extremes where moderation can be difficult, I love that you recognize your role as a mother as a priority! You are awesome! Keep up the good work as a mom and an inspiration. There is a time and a season for all things. Good Luck in Boston!

1. [...] -Trying to find the balance between racing, running, motherhood and career (like I talked about in yesterday’s post). [...]

2. [...] StuftMama talked about Boston in a post a day ago so I figured I had better get a move on and make some [...]