Just Some Things I Learned Over the Weekend

Workout:

Ran 5.6 miles on the treadmill at the gym. Forgot to check the time, but ran at about a 7:20 pace for the majority of it. Heck yeah I left that place in style.

Ha ha.

So just some random things that come to mind that I learned this weekend.

I have seriously mastered the art of getting ready in the car (or attempting to anyway).

I rarely get ready at home anymore. I really should update my make up though as I’m fairly certain the eye shadow I’m using is about 8 years old. Lovely.

I remembered I really like these Peanut Butter and Dark Chocolate Kind Bars as a quick on the go snack. They sell them at Trader Joe’s for $.99.

I learned that having a dishwasher is luxurious. I spent the other night cramming as many dishes as possible in ours only to find out that it’s not working. It was not fun unloading all those dirty dishes and washing them and the weekend hasn’t been that great without it either. We’re so spoiled with simple things like a dishwasher. I can’t wait to get it fixed.

While I do really miss the dishwasher, on the other hand I realized it’s kind of nice not having a working phone for awhile. Mine was dead all Saturday afternoon through Sunday late morning and wouldn’t charge (who the heck knows what’s going on there), and it was a great excuse to be away from everything.

I had a lot of time to focus on other really fun things.

Ha ha. It’s okay to be jealous.

I bet you’re really jealous about this week’s project.

Goodness help me if that messy office isn’t organized by the end of the week. Embarrassing, I know.

I’ve been drinking this little concoction lately almost every day. I’m growing quite fond of it.

1/2 Nuun tablet (the flavor changes), 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, a couple drops liquid Stevia and some cinnamon in my ice water. It’s so refreshing and you get those apple cider vinegar benefits.

Um, so there is such a thing as too much wasabi on a thrown together salmon salad. It is not meant to take the place of salad dressing.

Oops. My nose was burning big time. I could barely talk to the boys during lunch yesterday. I was pretty pleased with the little salad though- sliced cucumbers, raw salmon from Costco, seaweed snack (also from Costco), a little soy sauce, some pickled ginger and a little too much wasabi.

Speaking of hot, I finally opened this cool Devil’s Dust habanero hot salt from Mom. I like it and I guess it will hold me over until I can get to Trader Joe’s to get that new ghost pepper salt grinder.

Oh and a couple of toddler veggie tricks. I heard something like it takes up to 15 times of introducing a food or vegetable to a child to get them to like it or try it.

I guess I’ve introduced roasted broccoli that many times because this past weekend the boys ate it right up. Judah even ate the burnt ones from last night that Andrew said I burned on purpose so I could have them all. I would never do such a thing.

I will confess that they will only eat the vegetables if they’re dipped in light ranch dressing though. They like these new Spinach and Kale Bites from Trader Joe’s I found in the freezer sections too. Talk about toddler friendly.

And well, I also learned that gloomy weather is great for a few of my favorite things:

Some Muppet puppet shows (even though Beaker was missing) in our world class theatre we made,

some cuddle time on the couch watching movies

and baking a new amazing version of doughtzel balls.

Oh yes, just you wait. There’s a new version of these AND a giveaway with one of my favorite nut butters later this week.

Woo hoo!!!

I’m already planning on making that spaghetti squash pizza crust for The Biggest Loser tonight after teaching classes. I can’t wait.

Hope you have a great start to your week.

Do you ever get ready in the car?

Do you use your dishwasher often?

Who’s your favorite Muppet?

Comments

Amy says:

Did the boys like those spinach and kale bites? They look kinda yummy :)

That is not fun about the dishwasher!! I run mine a couple days a week (don’t have kids so there’s just me and hubby), but I would still miss it if it broke!

Have a great week!

WooHoo….TODAY is THE day! I am starting off the week with my Birthday…the BIG 44…Hmmm….maybe 4 will be my lucky number this year???

Speaking of dishwashers….ours went on the fritz last week too…what’s up with that?? We have been washing them by hand or as I like to call it …”the old fashion way”. Owen explained to me that he learned we use A LOT less water by washing them in the sink vs. the dishwasher (I guess they learn that stuff in 4th grade?? who knew??) So we are temporarily saving some money. ;-) and water…

Have a great week…I know I will!! (My daughter told me to run 44 miles in honor of my birthday…I about choked on my dinner…I told her 4.4 would be good enough!!)

i get ready in the car a lot! i also always eat my breakfast (oats) in the car on my way to work, which i get yelled at for sometimes, but that’s ok :)

those doughtzel balls look amazeballs :)

A working dishwasher is a new amenity in my life . . . and I’m in love!!! I had a broken dishwasher that sat unused for years, and then recently a coworker advertised that she was getting rid of her dishwasher for dirt cheap. I snagged it, and thanks to my husband who then installed it for us! It’s AMAZING!

Looks like you had a fun filled weekend…chores and cuddles and all! I LOVE my dishwasher. Probably a little too much. When we stayed the summer with my in-laws, they had a dishwasher and still handwashed most dishes. I hate hand washing after all the years growing up having to wash so much by hand! So, I won’t live without one…knock on wood mind never breaks.

I hope you have a great week!

Heather says:

We live in a small apt in San Fran with no dishwasher. A dishwasher sounds like such a luxury!!!

So many new things to try! The spaghetti squash pizza crust is at the top of my list. I’m so sorry about the dishwasher….that is NO fun! Have a great week, Kristin!

Seriously KIND bars are .99 cents at TJ? They are $1.50 out by me in Chicago!!! The spinach and kale bites I are yummy but my three year old wants no part of them :(

Ughhh too much wasabi is never a good thing – ive had many a bad experience with that haha!
    Ive attempted to get ready in the car multiple times; it never fairs well and always ends up with me a tangled mess!
    The muppet puppet show is tooo cuteee!…gotta say i love Kermy ;)

Your apple cider vinegar drink looks good. I’ve heard of the benefits of it, but didn’t know how to get it down since the taste is so strong. I’ll have to try this! Also, the doughtzel balls look amazing. I’m going to make these tonight for my Biggest Loser watching party!

RIGHT? omg. when I moved into my new apartment (which has a dishwasher) my mind was literally blown. I had been hand-washing my dishes for a year and it was like a whole new world. whoever invented the dishwasher = my hero.

debbie says:

Holy Ned, you are so speedy. Think you’re going to win a marathon soon!

Austin says:

I loved this post, Kristin! I just feel like I really get you and that you would really get me too. :) . I feel you on the broken dishwasher! I love my dishwasher. I am so grateful for it everyday. My messy office is on my perpetual to do list too. You’re brave to post of all of this. It makes me feel really connected to you as a reader. I don’t get ready in the car. When I changed to eating organic, I also ditched my makeup. There are too many chemicals for me to look them all up. :) . I’ve never watched the muppets. I grew up without TV and then I got into reality television as a teenager and in my early twenties. When I met my husband, he didn’t have television and now we’re raising our daughter without TV too. Haha. Sorry for my “woo woo hippy” thoughts here. I just smiled so much reading this post. It’s so relatable!

Janet says:

Don’t hate me – I just started my dishwasher! I am very messy and disorganized but have to tidy things up before I do any real writing. Favorite Muppets – can’t just pick one, Animal, Cookie Monster and Elmo- I think I’m all of these 3 wrapped up! I miss the toddler years so much! Enjoy those little guys!

I thought i liked hot stuff, but you beat me with all your crazy toppings! Iron stomachs right? My favorite muppets would have to be the grumpy old men who sit up top in the opera house. They are so freaking funny! It’s VERY gloomy here in NJ. Depressing, especially since it was so sunny and nice this weekend. :(

Sarah M says:

Don’t feel bad about the office. I think mine looks just like yours does!

Natalie says:

Our dishwasher crapped out so I am now doing dishes by hand until we can get another. It’s not too bad as long as I stay on top of it.

Rachel says:

I had a pastor that called things like dirty dishes, piles of laundry, backed up toilets, etc. “Evidences of grace” –we’re so blessed to have food to dirty our plates, more than just the clothes on our backs, and even toilets that need scrubbing–it’s not until we don’t have them that we miss and appreciate them :)

I love my dishwasher too. I never realized how much I appreciated dishwashers until college when I had an apartment without one. It was terrible! Hope you can get yours fixed soon!!

Those doughnutzel (hopefully I got close) balls look delicious!
    We run our dishwasher almost every day. It went out this summer – a week of hand-washing dishes!!! Funny how we get so used to all of these “conveniences”!
    I have never gotten ready in the car.

Ashley says:

I get ready in the car all of the time!! It is annoying too because my bun always hits the top of my car. I feel like a conehead. How are you liking the Mushas? I am SO in love! Between them and the Elixirs, I feel like I found my feet soul mates!

We’ve had a dishwasher for about 9 months now (since moving into our new/first home) and we run it once a day–we laugh at how spoiled we are now that we don’t have to spend a bunch of time every night after dinner washing dishes! :)

My favorite KIND +Protein bars are the dark chocolate sea salt..so good, I had one today! You should try it. and I am making that pizza crust next week!

Oh! Those spinach and kale bites looks like something my boys would eat. I will have to check them out. I seriously don’t know what I would do without our dishwasher and washer/dryer. I felt like a grown-up when I finally moved into an apartment with a washer/dryer – a luxury in NYC not to have to go to a laundromat!! Our dishwasher is being cranky lately but I’m totally ignoring it and in denial. I love when the kids do a puppet show! So cute!

Suzanne says:

Ugh I wish I had a dishwasher!