Dumb Wind, Sweat and Water

Um, so it never fails the nights when we decided to stay up a little too late are the nights when the kiddos decide to get up extra early. Gotta love that.

What else would I rather be doing at 5:55 am than sitting in with my man in the bathroom for 20 minutes?

Then we decided that someone felt a little left out on Valentine’s Day so we tried to make him feel better.

Ha ha ha.

So I went for a run today. It was a little warm, with a dry wind. I headed out hoping to get in about 13 miles without any water. Dumb.

I usually wear my fuel belt if I’m going anything over 13 miles or so, but just got lazy today.

May I also just say that I really don’t like wind. I’ve never liked it. It’s just yucky and it gives me the creeps.

Anyhoo, about 3 miles in I realized I was thirsty. Lovely.

I kept going dry mouth and all, but took it really slowly.

I even stopped for some pictures.

I wore my old pair of Mizuno Elixirs which also wasn’t the best idea. They felt so flat compared to my new Elixir 8s shoes. These have definitely had their fair share of miles on them.

So finally around mile 10, I gave in. I knew I needed to find somewhere with water. I was freakishly happy to be close to a 7 Eleven. I begged the lady for a little sip of water and luckily she said “okay, but just this one time”.

7 Eleven water never tasted so good.

I’m pretty sure I impressed everyone in there with my sweat art.

Now that’s just a gift.

Ha.

I finally got home and had run 14 miles.

I was hoping to get 17 in for the day so I hopped on the treadmill. I only made it two more miles though instead of three. I just wasn’t feeling it.

So I called it quits.

16 miles done.

I’ve got my new compression knickers on for the first time complete with the little ice packs that came with them.

I’ll post a full review once I get to try them out a few more times. So far so good, but I’m a little cold at the moment from those ice packs.

I roasted a small kabocha squash instead of a ginormous one for a change this afternoon.

I also rehydrated with this little concoction:

a kona cola Nuun tablet, a little apple cider vinegar, fresh lemon juice and a couple drops of Stevia.

Then I had this. The new chocolate microwave muffin (made without the pumpkin though, just water), some chocolate NuttZo and a frozen Chobani Raspberry With Dark Chocolate Bite cup.

Um, yum.

Okay, I have lots to try to tackle in the next few hours.

Hope you’re having a great Friday!

You still have one more day to enter the NuttZo giveaway.

Do you carry water with you when you run?

Do you have a special skill of making cool sweat art also?

Comments

Sara Grambusch says:

I hate the wind, running or not. Sometimes I think I can make the car ride home from the gym without water and I’m always wrong. The kabochas are getting smaller because they’re going out of season! You better prepare to detox! ;)

Krista says:

I headed out for a run -20 with the wind chill. Only managed 5 miles before my bladder was calling. Listened to Jillian michaels podcast with my new earbuds love them. Trying to train for a 1/2 marathon but running really s not for me. Cycling…crossfit…Trx etc but running is so hard for me. Need to try that nuun concoction.

Yum– haven’t thought about freezing the bites! good call!! Nice work on your run!! You did it

Maria says:

I carry water for anything over 5 miles. Great job on your run though, you got it done! That frozen yogurt looks so good…I’ll have to try it once its not 30 degrees outside ;)

Kristin says:

We have different loops of 3-5 miles that we do and keep water at my house. So we always make it back to “home base” to hydrate. I get so paranoid if I don’t drink water even on shorter runs! Love the sweat art by the way….nice design.

elizabeth says:

Did you add 1/2 cup water to replace the pumpkin or did you just add the original 1/2 cup water and no pumpkin? It certainly makes a big muffin, I get pretty full eating the whole thing, plus creamy dreamy ice cream. I tried cutting the muffin recipe in half today, but it didn’t seem quite as good, I’ll have to try again or maybe just do what you did and cut out the pumpkin, but is it still moist without the pumpkin?

I added a little extra water instead of the pumpkin. I’m experimenting again tonight so I’ll get back to you Elizabeth.

• elizabeth says:

I’ve tried it a few different ways, it doesn’t seem to matter too much how it turns out, as long as its warm and very chocolaty to go with my ice cream. Yesterday I made some chocolate muffins in the oven with most of the same ingredients, adding some oats, I’ll keep them in the freezer to warm up and eat with ice cream, so I don’t have to cook a micro muffin each time

elizabeth says:

I almost never carry water, but sometimes carry it for the dogs if I’m on a dry trail. I try to avoid running in hot weather. I do carry a pack of shot bloks in my backpack though, in case I bonk.

Do you overpronate? I don’t think you wear any of the neutral Mizuno shoes?

Yes I overpronate and have never tried any of the Mizuno neutral shoes. :)

• elizabeth says:

You are so lucky you found shoes that work for your feet, I haven’t heard you say you have any problems? even on long runs! I have such a hard time finding shoes, my feet and toes are really long, wide in the toe area, but narrow in the heel and midfoot. I can sometimes wear women’s 12, but mostly try men’s 10.5, I need trail runners and road shoes and have been trying out a lot of shoes this winter, the UPS guy must be tired of coming to my house! Mabye I’ll give the wave rider another try.

OH I hate wind too. Way to be so mentally and physically tough mama!!

Sally says:

I hate the wind too! My campus (U of Illinois) is pretty much completely flat, so I just hop out of bed, bundle up, and run out the door before my brain catches up to what I’m doing! Hahah. But wow good for you 13 miles is a LOT in the wind. Anyway, I love you blog and read it every day! One of my favorite things is reading about fun new healthy recipes and products. I was wondering if you’ve ever tried Quest protein bars? They’re my favorite. Soooo yummy and filling, with 20 g protein and 1 g sugar in each bar. AND each one is only 160-210 calories. My favorites are the brownie (170 cal), chocolate peanut butter (160 cal), and cinnamon roll (170 cal). They have tons of flavors, and they’re super easy to grab between classes and when I’m on the run. I like to heat them up in the microwave when I can and it’s like a hot dessert! Anyway, just wondering if you’d heard of or tried them. I highly recommend it!

Stay Awesome!

Sally

Brittany says:

A few things:
    1) I’m a Texan so I know that the worst feeling on a run is thirst. A friend told me to chew gum while running because it keeps you salivating and avoids dry mouth.
    2) Went for a 14 mi run in the summer w/o water and only found 1 water fountain…not fun or smart.
    3) Hate wind. Lived in Oklahoma for college and a typical Spring day was wind at least 20 mph and gusting to 30 mph. I was stubborn and ran out side in 30 mph wind and I kid you not I was in mid-stride (so neither of my feet were on the ground) and a gust of wind came. Where I started my stride I ended my stride; I did not move forward at all because of the wind! Crazy! And happy to NOT be there anymore!! :)

I can’t chew gum and run at the same time. :) And……. I would never be able to run in wind like that. You’re crazy and I’m glad you aren’t there anymore too. :)

“sweat art”!! that’s awesome–and I love the expression. Makes it sound much more fun and cute. :) Really windy days can make running so challenging, like as if you’re not gaining any ground! Way to muscle through!

Oh–can I ask your quick advice on something? I looked through your “favorites” but didn’t see anything about heart rate monitors. I noticed you wear a Garmin. Do you love it? Which one is it? I’m in the market for a new HRM and want to make sure I’m getting one that is accurate and reliable . . . and I’ll be wearing it in a gym and sometimes out to run. Opinions? Thanks!! :)

Michelle- I don’t usually wear heart rate monitors. I just got the Garmin 10, but it’s very basic. I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 that has everything and is pretty cool, but I rarely use it because I’m too lazy to charge it or get it together. :)

Amy says:

I can’t stop laughing at that pic! That is a gift ;)

I’m gonna have to try your rehydration concoction…it sounds yummy.

Great job on your run!

Becky Przy says:

Way to stick it out for the long run! 7-11 is kinda stingy w/their water tho;-) Haha on the sweat marks! Thanks for the laugh! That must be the reason I tend to stick with black/darker colors;-)

I need to start freezing my chobani what a great dessert!

Haha aw cute Kitty with his bow!
    The weather looks so warm and skies so blue where you are! Its freeezing here still!
    I used to carry water when I went out running but then I found it too much of a faff; so ended up just getting rid of it and thought if I really needed something to drink I could stop off somewhere.

Jennifer says:

Way to go on the long run! I make sweat art too when it’s warm. I usually need to bring water on anything over 6 miles. I am doing 13 today and can not wait to get home and put on my new pro compression socks for the first time!

That is some hilarious sweat art….you could almost market that…ha!

;-)

Girl, you are so awesome (and crazy). One of my goals in running is to work myself down to not feeling like I need a gallon of water on a long run. I don’t think I could make it over 7-8 without water at this point, so go you! But, you probably could have used a little sippy sip! =)

Guess what I FINALLY made my first kambucha squash this afternoon. I ate half and topped it with nut butter. Holy cow that was awesome! Okay I now get the obsession. HAHA!

debbie says:

Oh boy, those pants are neat, but I bet you were cold! Great idea about frozen Chobani. Hmm… gonna try it.

Caitlin says:

Hey Kristin! I was gonna shoot you an email about this but couldn’t find a way to get in touch with you other than to comment, so this is kinda random :p Anyways, I just found the spray bottles of Braggs liquid aminos on close out for $.86! Not sure if you guys have Kroger grocery stores out there(I’m in Virginia) but thought I’d share just incase! I had to get two just because of how cheap they are even though I have 2 bottles at home already!

Joy says:

I carry an Amphipod with water on any run I do over 6 miles. I found out years ago that if I don’t drink when I run, especially longer distances, I end up with a terrible headache a few hours after I finish running. The bonus with the Amphipod bottle is that it has a zippered pocket where I can stash some Gu.

My sweat art is just big sweat rings from my armpits in big circles and big spots on my stomach and back because I sweat a lot! Not pretty!

1. [...] So, I’m resting a bit, hydrating with a little Nuun kona cola concoction [...]

2. [...] washed it down with a little Nuun kona cola concoction which is becoming a daily staple around [...]

3. [...] been drinking the kona cola concoction, so this was a good change and gave me a little protein [...]

4. [...] what was going on there). So I took it really slow. I did bring water this time thank goodness (I learned my lesson), Power Bar chews, GU and [...]