Women’s Half Marathon Recap

Good morning!

It’s Monday. Judah was up bright and early at 5:15 am to help start off the week. What a great guy.

So yesterday I ran the Women’s Half Marathon in San Diego. It kind of snuck up on me like all races do. Shocker.

The pre race eats were the same. Homemade vegetarian pizza.

I even made STUFT Daddy one too. He didn’t have to go to the race, but he had to fuel up for work. Ha.

You’d think I’d learn to not have spicy food the night before races, but well, I just don’t. My pizza was covered in crushed red pepper, Cholula and nutritional yeast and I had some roasted brussel sprouts on the side.

Dumb.

I had a 4:20 am alarm set. I was told not to wake STUFT Daddy up when I left. I didn’t. I didn’t make him a coffee though either. Ha. I did spend a little time trying to figure out if I was going to need my Mizuno arm sleeves or not (I didn’t).

Luckily there was no traffic as I was running late as usual and trying to eat my banana, Coach’s Oats, chia and PB2 mix in the car. Just not smart. Either is trying to take a picture.

Everything was pretty low key. Parking was easy and the port a potty lines were short. I got to the start line just in time.

Wearing only my finest sweatshirt from my college days.

It wasn’t very crowded so it made finding this pretty lady easy.

The race started at 6:30 am.

It took me the first mile or so to get situated and fumble around with my phone, sports headphones, gloves, etc.

The course was quiet. It was along the water for the most part, but there were a lot of parking lot loops. It was flat though which was nice and since we kept looping around I got to see everyone again and again on the course. That was fun. I saw this gal a couple of times. She got a PR yesterday.

The last couple miles weren’t that great. I guess they never are though. I just felt heavy after mile 10 and my mind started to wander. I was thinking of sushi of all things. Weird. I had to keep reminding myself to just keep my legs moving and finish this thing.

And then, well, it was over.

The finish was quiet. There weren’t that many runners around yet.

Luckily there were a lot of volunteers around just waiting for me to ask them to take my picture.

My race outfit (in case you care):

Mizuno Elixir 8s, Pro Compression socks of the month, Lululemon run speed shorts, Handful adjustable bra, Lorna Jane tank, Halo visor and BIC Bands headband.

Oh yeah, I wore my Mizuno gloves too. Not just one, but both. I was just trying to be cool like MJ after the race.

I also tried to be cool with new fashion statement thing.

I made the mistake at last weekend’s race to not wear my visor with the special sweat proof seal, and man, I won’t do that again. Once you try the Halo seal, you never go back. He he.

I wore my new Oculus sunglasses too and loved them. They stayed put, were confortable and didn’t fog up at all. Pretty awesome, especially for such a great price. So glad I got distracted at the expo and bought these. Best $20 ever spent. Ha.

It was my first time racing with my Garmin 10 too. I felt pretty cool about it.

I knew I finished within the top ten, but results weren’t posted until last night. I ended up getting 6th overall out of 1700 and 2nd in my age group.

imageimage[source]

My amazing friend finished up at the front too AND she had run a marathon just the day before. Yeah, she’s my hero.

We share a love for a lot of the same things: compression socks, Mizuno shoes, BIC Bands and coffee.

Oh, and discount “shopping”.

Since the finish line wasn’t crowded and there were a ton of yummy goodies around, we decided to stock up.

Yeah, we know how it’s done. When you pay the registration fee, you better get your money’s worth, right?

Getting my groceries to the car was a bit of challenge though.

But I realized just one more reason I love my Handful bra.

Ha ha.

We met up with KJ outside the Cookie Café. Yeah, they had a Cookie Café. How cool, huh?

After a little hang out time, Sarah and I went for a little 5 mile jog to get a few more miles in for the day. I wish we could run together more often.

After heading out it was time to sport my Sunday finest

to church

and pick up these cute guys.

Totally appropriate church attire, right?

Random, but I loved this tree in the church parking lot.

Back at the home front, the boys weren’t very helpful with unpacking the “groceries”.

(I know, we made out didn’t we?)

More than one of these may have been consumed while checking out the goods.

The boys had better things to do.

At least Pat was impressed with all my goodies.

Oh, I almost forgot, in addition to all the fun food at the end, the finisher’s medal was pretty darn cool too.

Talk about some bling. You can even take the little charm out and put it on a different necklace.

I just might have to do that.

My stylish post race recovery outfit definitely could have definitely used some bling.

Okay, well, that’s a wrap. Another half marathon in the books. I’ve got another one just two weeks away and some other big race news, but I’ll save it for later.

Have a great day!

Comments

Chels R. says:

Awesome job! I am wearing my purple pro compression socks today after running the full on Sunday! They feel so, SO good!

Sheryl says:

Congrats on your awesome half!!! I’m running my first half in May and was wondering if you had advice/tips for me. I’m not fast….at all!! It’s my first so I don’t really have a goal time (although my plan is to be under 3 hours – hoping for a 2:45 or so time).

skinnyrunner says:

CONGRATS ON 6TH!!! and thanks for running with me and bringing me a throwaway!!

Kim Perry says:

Are you running any races on the east coast this year? :)

Linda says:

Great race! Girl, you are fast! My next half is in May in the NC mountains, but it’s supposed to be relatively flat along the river. I’m gearing up for the Napa to Sonoma half in July. Can’t wait!! Hoping to PR.

Congratulations!! You ran a fabulous race!! :)

Did you really wear that to church and if you did….YOU ARE EVEN MORE AWESOME THAN I EVER THOUGHT!!!! Love it for keeping it real! ;-)

Nice running ….when you come in that quickly I suppose it is quieter…I would never know.

You are so darn cute! Congratulations on the run! You are amazing! xoxo

Your speed astounds me. Rock on, my friend!

congrats MAMA!!! you’re simply amazing!

I love your recaps! And amazing run, my friend!! 6th overall is incredible! Love that you got to stock up on some ‘groceries’ too. :)

congrats super speedster!! I love that the finish was so empty you could ask volunteers for a picture :) you are a machine

Marti says:

great job on SIXTH place! that’s awesome! and like you i always grab as many post race goodies as possible. ha! why not, right? i absolutely love your hoodie in the last pic! I have to ask where did you get it??

Another awesome race – you make me smile! :)

Lindsay says:

First of all, you are a BEAST!! Congrats! Secondly…um…did 44 men run in the Women’s Half Marathon??? Your official overall and gender numbers are funny!

Lisa says:

AMAZING job my friend! You are rocking. I can’t believe you ran after your race. Bad ass;)
    You’re awesome, that time rocks.
    I hope you’re celebrating with some kabocha today, you deserve that treat ;)

Alicia says:

Wow, that pizza looks amazing!! YUM.

Congrats on the awesome finish on the half marathon. It looks like you cleaned house with all the “groceries” afterwards, nice!! I love the medal too, they really give out a beautiful one there!

Stephanie says:

Great job!

Jane says:

Congrats! You are an inspiration! :)

morgan says:

Totally ADD but I just thought of you- I was reading about the new So Delicious almond milk thats higher in protein :) its called 5X protein & has 40 calories for the unsweetened! Hasn’t made it to AK yet but I bet you could find it!

OMG you are an amazingly fast runner. good job!

Tongela says:

Congratulations on your run, my goodness you are fast! I had to write something to you because I saw you running yesterday outside the run course (almost under the bridge, the neon compression socks stuck out). As i was hobbling to my car (my first half) lol and it was clear you were done with the run but you had the energy to do more. That really inspired me to do more myself. Just wanted you to know that. Thank you for your blog!

LOVED all your pics here & Instagram! :) You rocked it & HUGE CONGRATS!!!!!!! Amazing. You looked fabulous too! :)

Holy EFF! You are one speedy running machine!!!!

Great job finishing in the top 10! That’s so funny you used your bra to carry the goodies! LOL! I’m always afraid to take a whole bunch of things from the tables but next time I am definitely going to get my money’s worth :)

Samantha says:

That tree is beautiful. I can see why you like it.

What a nice quiet race, I am glad you had another successful day! Store those up when life feels overwhelming.

Congrats on your half and placing! Awesome! Hardcore running 5 miles after your race is over. You rock!

Marissa says:

Great job Kristin! I really love the Women’s half marathon series. I ran the Nashville race last August and loved it (other than the monstrous hills!) They didn’t have all those post race goodies for us though! I’m a little jealous of the dark chocolate you got! :-)

Ha! I love how you went “grocery shopping”. Why have I never thought of that???

Congrats on another fantastic race, Kristin!!!

1. [...] ran the Women’s Running San Diego Half Marathon last year (my recap is here). It’s a really fun, casual race with a pretty sweet medal and lots of cool goodies at the finish [...]