Warning: Declaration of StatigramWidget::widget($args) should be compatible with WP_Widget::widget($args, $instance) in /var/www/app/wp-content/plugins/instagram-image-gallery/plugin.php on line 0
Playing Hooky, Racing Pro and Going Cold Turkey

Playing Hooky, Racing Pro and Going Cold Turkey

Monday Workout:

AM- Taught a 45 minute spin class

PM- Taught Y50X and a step aerobics class

Took a strength training class

So, yeah, have you ever played hooky? I probably did once from high school, only after I asked my parents first. I was that kind of student. I was that cool. Ha.

I did play hooky from teaching though when it was my full time job. Sometimes you just need a little “mental health day”. Yes?

I’m slowly learning that if I don’t let myself have a little down time or rest time, then it all comes back to kick me in the butt. Life is go go go ALL the time and I often find myself a little too overwhelmed and tired. In turn, I tend to not make the best decisions about what I fuel my body with, etc. It’s a slippery slope. Then I’m not very pleasant to be around and my poor boys get stuck with a really grumpy mama.

That’s just not okay.

I’ve got some pretty darn big events coming up this next month. The San Diego Half Marathon in two weeks, the LA Marathon the week after that and then the Hot Chocolate 15K the next weekend. Um, yeah, I’ve got to wrap my head around that schedule.

And yes, you read that right, I have the LA marathon in just under 3 weeks. Nope, not really ready for it, but I really wanted to complete the LA/SF Challenge. Since I raced The San Francisco Marathon back in July

and that was my first race I ever raced in my compression socks, it’s only appropriate that I run LA with Pro Compression.

I’m super excited about it. The race is on St. Patrick’s Day, so that should be fun. Speaking of, get ready for one heck of a cool Sock of the Month for March. He he. There’s also a HUGE giveaway coming up so stay tuned.

So yes, because we need to get a few bazillion things together around here, we’re playing hooky today.

Hooky from the blog and the computer. Just for today.

We’re recouping, getting organized, spending quality time together and building “castles” instead.

You know what else we’re doing?

We’re going cold turkey on sweet roasted kabocha squash.

Yep. Shocking I know, but it’s time.

I ate my last one after the race Sunday and somehow talked myself out of stopping at the store to buy more last night on my way home from the gym. I’m sure my friends at Smart and Final missed the crazy late night squash hoarding lady. Ha.

I’ve been consuming a few too many squashes. One a day has caught up with me. Well, that and the loads of NuttZo I’ve been piling on top.

I might miss my little arm workout cutting that kabocha squash up, but I figure I’m saving a few bucks and I’ll have a little more time to focus on other things.

So, in saying goodbye to my beloved squash for a bit, I leave you with this picture of my last squash feast from Sunday.

Sweet roasted kabocha, topped with low calorie peanut butter frosting, chia seeds, chocolate NuttZo and a little regular peanut butter.

I washed it down with a little Nuun kona cola concoction which is becoming a daily staple around here.

Have a great day!

Anyone else want to play hooky with me?

Have you ever had to go cold turkey with a food?

Anyone else running the LA Marathon?

Comments

kalli says:

yes im running LA! spur of the moment-no formal training and first marathon! happy 43rd bday to myself 🙂

I am a firm believer in those mental health days. I think we need them more often than we realize.

Krista says:

Just purchased my first pair of pro compression socks to use for running my first half marathon (the lululemon 1/2 in aug) …..excited to receive these socks…..what will you eat in place of your daily squash addiction??? Good luck

You’re right sometimes you just NEED to play hookie!! Hope you’re able to make it through without the kabocha!! 😉

Kim Perry says:

Enjoy your day!!!
    Can’t wait to see what color the pro compression socks will be this month!

lindsay says:

don’t force me to come out there and make you rest! okay do, cause i want to visit!

Mental health days are SO necessary! Rest up and take a break! 🙂

Courtney says:

is there something wrong with that kind of squash?? why did you stop? just curious 🙂 i went cold turkey with SUGAR for lent and it’s been rough…but good!!

Holly says:

Yeah, I want to know why you stopped on the squash too? You know, now that you got me hooked on it! 🙂 Are you staying one a day is…..bad?

Dena says:

I’ve recently learned the value of playing occasional hooky. And it served me so well that I decided to legitimize the days by taking 1 day off from work every 6 weeks to do NOTHING but be (in the truest sense of the word) with my 16-mo old. On those days, I don’t let myself think about anything (not work, not running, not laundry) but him. They are the most wonderful, guilt-free and joyous days.

Cassie says:

I’m running LA. But only doing half for the charity relay!!
    I’ve never ran such a big race. I’m a little excited and nervous. I wonder if I’ll see you while I’m waiting (I’m doing the 2nd half so I’ll be waiting at mile 13)

EEK! I saw the March SOM on FB yesterday! I’m registered for a half on St. Patty’s day that I’m hoping I get to run (stress fracture in foot) and I have to have those socks!!!!

I had to slow down too on the squash consumption!! I have a few more here that I will eat up in the coming weeks but the hubs was getting a little sick of it– Mental health days are the best- jealous of your race calendar– it’s a blizzard here today in Chicago and I am so tired of my treadmill

Mental health days are extremely important! You have quite the race calendar and I’m sure you’re going to do awesome at every one of them!

Can’t wait to hear how the LA marathon goes. I wish I was doing San Fran again this year….great run (minus the not so friendly hills….I chose the first half, half!). Thanks for turning me on to the compression socks. I am going to give them my first race day whirl in about 4 weeks!

Confession, I bought 12 (small) kabocha on Sunday, as of tonight, I will have eaten 4. Yeah, I blame you for this. I don’t allow myself to sit down to a huge bowl though. I only eat them with protein as my snacks. UGH, please don’t tell Tony and the boys…they will make so much fun of me.

As for the compression socks, I want the March ones so badly! I have a four leaf clover tattoo on my right ankle. I’m a girl who needs her luck. 😉

I know you will do great on your races. Make sure you get your rest and fuel. Everything else will fall into place. Big hugs to you friend!

Leigh Smith says:

Wow…and I thought I was overscheduled! : ) But seriously, if anyone can do it–and do it well–I’m sure you will do it with these races, Kristin. I know you don’t know me from Adam (or Eve), but I’ve enjoyed reading you for awhile now (I have two kids, too, so I can def. relate). If I’m ever in California, I hope you’ll run with me (for a few minutes until I get too slow for you!). P.S. Congrats on your half-marathon this weekend! I heard you were something like 6th place. Was that a PR? Even if not … woohoo for you!

Hi Leigh! Yes, we will totally run together if you’re ever in CA. 🙂 No, not a PR on Sunday. How old are your kiddos?

• Leigh Smith says:

Ours are 3 and 5 (boy and girl). They look a lot alike, so they sometimes get mistaken for twins. And, as if they were twins … they keep us very busy! 🙂

hillary young says:

Do we get a hint on the Sock of the Month pattern for March? It’s my birthday month so I feel like they owe me a special discount. Ha ha.

Congrats on your race this weekend. Way to go! And you are one brave lady to go cold turkey on winter squash. I usually eat it right up until all the yummy summer vegetables and fruit are in season : )

I used to eat ranch dressing with everything and last year for Lent i gave it up altogether. Since then I have barely ate it at all!

Yay rest! Stuft Mama > Grupmy Mama 😉 Wish I could take that squash off your hands for you. I can’t find it anywhere at stores near me, so I haven’t even tried it yet.

Gillian says:

I’m running LA too! I’m not as speedy as you or SR but hope to spot you both to say hello. I wrote an email to Pro compression to suggest green and white socks or socks with shamrocks so I am hoping for something cute to help me with my St. Patty’s day race outfit!

Elizabeth says:

Don’t worry Stuft– I do that crazy food stuff too. Hubs wants to give me the boot sometimes for it. I can eat the exact same thing for days, days!!! And I get on stuff and just can’t get off of it! The broccoli obsession has improved. Still head over into peanut butter on like anything– mainly oats. The chocolate overnight oats has tapered although– now as I mention it….hmmm. Mr. Grumpy has been complaining though so much lately, I’ve had to cave–at least a few nights weekly:-)!! Hugs and wish you well!! E

Karen says:

You are constantly working out, like almost 3 hours + a day. I think you deserve to eat your kabocha squash!!

Leslie Ocana says:

You’re doing the LA Marathon too! I wish I could run fast enough and actually say hey LOL It’s my first marathon ever, my goal is to run the entire way and do it at a joggy pace : P

Maybe for the next one, I will try to amp up my training and practice on speed. I just did 20 miles this last Sunday, it went well.

How long have you been running for? How did you improve your mile times? And how do you build up so much endurance? It’s still a mystery to me : P

Ammie says:

Kabochas do take forever to cut up, so I’ve come up with a short cut. I stick the whole, uncut squash into a hot oven for 15-20 minutes then pull it out to cut up, drizzle with coconut oil, then toss it back into the oven to finish roasting. Doing it this way makes it A LOT easier to cut. You’re welcome? 🙂

Amy C. says:

Oh man! Giving up a favorite food is hard! I don’t think I could give up my oatmeal……or french fries! LOL! I will be running the Hot Chocolate 15k as well!!!! Wait for me at the finish line Speedy!!!!! 😉

Amanda says:

I only played hooky once in high school too and I called my mom first and asked if it was okay, I’m also that kid. I totally support mental health days. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health

Janice says:

I am running the SD Half too!! I will be in town for the weekend and thanks to SKinny Runner’s coupon I jumped on the change. Maybe I will see you fly bye! Good luck!

1. […] so that’s a total of 12.2 miles for the day. Was hoping to just get in about 8 or 9, but our “hooky day” was a darn busy one and the opportunities were there so I took […]