Mornings- Then and Now

Wednesday Workout:

Taught an hour spin class. Finally used my new notebook with some new song sets.

A quick shoe change and then I ran 7.5 miles on the treadmill in 58 minutes. About at 7:47 pace. I wanted to try to step it up to do some speed work, but I didn’t. Basically I just made myself stay on that darn thing until my hour was up. It was that kind of run. My Inspires were the shoes of the day yesterday.

Thank goodness for TVs on treadmills, Live With Kelly and Michael, The View and the fact that my gym doesn’t enforce a dress code. I was a mess.

Two things really quick- I’m loving my Pro Compression low trainers more these days when I’m not wearing my marathon socks and I now always wear my Halo Headband when I know I’m going to sweat like crazy. It does such a great job of keeping the sweat out of my eyes. Love it.

So, yeah, mornings around here have changed a bit. I used to stay up wee hours of the night because that was the only time I had to get things done. It wasn’t working out so well for me. I’d stay up too late, eat late night snacks just to help me stay up and then when I finally did lay down I wouldn’t be able to sleep well because my mind was still “working”. Basically I was doing everything you’re not supposed to do.

No surprise that the mornings were rough.

I’ll spare you all the details, but it always seemed that I was tired, grumpy and couldn’t get it together.

So I recently made a few changes, unfortunately so did Judah as he now gets up an hour earlier with me at 5:20 am, but we’re working on it. I feel better as a new “morning person”. I feel like I have a better handle on the day.

Here’s some thing that have helped me. Just thought I’d share. I never understood why people woke up earlier than they “needed” to or before the sun came out by choice, but I’m starting to become one of them.

I’ve been going to bed earlier. No more late nights on the computer. I just tell myself I can get to it in the morning. Sure, some stuff is not getting done that really should, but I’m getting some quality zzzz’s.

I enjoy watching the sun come up. There’s something peaceful about it and I try to view it as a reminder that each new day is a gift and a blessing and one more chance to try to get things right.

I feel good sending STUFT Daddy one his way with his mocha. The house might always be a mess, but at least I can make him a good coffee.

Although I’m always hoping for a little quiet alone time, I usually don’t get it. That’s okay though, this guy is learning very quickly the skills it takes to make the perfect, very strong STUFT salted caramel mocha (the new drink of choice for the morning).

Kitty is learning the ways too.

I have to brew my espresso first thing.

No question, coffee is a must and a couple extra sniffs of the coffee beans helps too. He he.

Total side note, but it’s been chilly here the past week or so. Look at the frost.

I like using my time to plan my day, organize my thoughts, try to get a little blog post done, etc.

You know, I love my jobs (yes, all 100 of them). I’m so lucky to be able to be at home the majority of the time, write, blog, teach classes, run, etc. and getting up a little earlier to make all that happen is just that much easier.

I never quite know when or if I’ll get any “office hours” during the day, so getting a handle on my day a little earlier is

They say it’s best to wake up at the same time every day, and on race days I’m really up at the crack of dawn. I’m hoping this new schedule will pay off for some upcoming races. We shall see.

OH, and just in case you’re wondering, I have not broken down and bought any new kabochas. I did however finally roast that homegrown butternut squash from about a month ago and did it up just like I usually do my sweet roasted kabocha squash.

It was the next best thing.

Hope you’re having a good day.

Are you an early riser or a night owl?

Is coffee a necessity right after you get up?

Comments

Early mornings (and early to bed) work best for me. I get up at 4 am every day to workout before heading to work (I have to leave the house at 6:30 am to be at work at 7:00). I love my morning time–it’s my favorite time of day. It’s peaceful and quiet. 🙂

heidi says:

I’m an early riser/early to bed kinda gal. i work full time with a commute from hell so i have to get up at 5am to get my run in. i do love being up before Los Angeles is up and noisy. the city is quiet and sleepy. i also run my own senior dog rescue to i need to get them up, out for potty, fed and medicated. then its definitely coffee time!! Must have my morning coffee!

the older i get the more i appreciate the quiet time to myself.

Marti says:

i’m definitely a morning person which doesn’t always work in my favor. i’m an RN and work 12 hour shifts … switching back and forth from days to nights.. ew, right? haha. so basically when i’m on my night schedule i wake up WAAAY to early and struggle during the shift and on my day shifts i wake up way to early to get my run in and it gets to be the longest day ever! and you can bet that on any given day the coffee pot is what i run to as soon as i am up! haha 🙂

Pam says:

Yes, I’m a morning person. I try to be in bed by 10 pm (the latest on weekdays). My 4 & 6 y/o boys go to bed by 8-8:30. It wasn’t always that way. But, now that they’re a little older they now have a routine. I wake the boys up at about 6:30 a.m. My daughter is 16 y/o so, she’s independent & knows what she has to do. 🙂 I love, love my mornings. I wake up at about 4-4:30 most mornings (during the week). I enjoy my cup of coffee, my “office hour” 🙂 , prepare lunches, bkfst, etc. I’m fortunate that I have a tm at home so some mornings I’ll run on my tm, gym, or I run after I take the kids to school. My hubby is very supportive & we always seem to work it out. 🙂 and YES coffee is a necessity in the mornings. 🙂

I’m an in-between riser, not really morning or late. 🙂 And I love lattes, but they are not essential (just fun!).

Kori says:

I also get up around 4a.m, don’t even set an alarm! I have the timer set on the coffee pot so when I come downstairs, I am welcomed by the aroma!! It’s almost like my coffee whispers “good morning”! lol

I never understood waking up early until I became a stay at home mom and realized that if I wanted to be a fully functioning human I needed to wake up before everyone else, shower and have some “me” time. I’ve kept this going for almost 11 years now and I’m a die hard morning person now. I can’t stay up late and even though everyone makes fun of me for sometimes beating my kids to bed at night, I wouldn’t change it :0

morgan says:

first- your home grown squash looks awesome! jealous in a great way 🙂
    morning person here- up at 4:30am to get my first sweat on before heading to work, usually coffee waits until about hour 3 of my work day! I also exercise at lunch & after work I teach fitness classes but I find a good sweat in the morning really starts the day off. also sunrises- only see them on the weekends but wow, a good cup of coffee & a sunrise & my day is amazing

i’m such a morning person but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I did the whole late night thing when I was in my early 20s. No need to relive those days! I have tons more energy when I hit the sack early. My coworkers must hate my perkiness at 8:15am. Oh well!

Since moving to the west coast my entire day starts (and ends!) earlier than it ever did back in nyc and I like it much better this way. I feel much more rested. And I love espresso., there’s not a day that doesn’t start without it.. I think the best part of my workday is the moment I sit down with my almond milk mocha-latte.

Marissa says:

I use to be a night owl as well.. but when I started training for my first marathon a few years ago, I realized that the early morning is the only time that I can get those workouts in. It’s wayy too hot in Florida to train in the afternoon 9 months out of the year, and I am way to tired after work to run most days. I love getting a workout in before the sun has even come up, or as it is rising. It instantly puts me in a good mood.

I don’t have coffee first thing (before my run) but I have it first thing when I return home from my run. 🙂

kaitlyn says:

I learned to be an early person when I trained for my first marathon. I taught high school an hour away from my house and coached after school. To get my runs in I had to get up at 4:30. I learned to love that time for all the reasons you stated. It was quiet and peaceful. I could collect my thoughts, go through my lesson plans and my workout was done for the day! Of course early mornings means that I crash early too.

purelytwins says:

we seem to switch off from being morning people to night owls. not sure how it happens, but it does. go through periods of being both, must say we like morning much better 😉
    and coffee is a must in the morning, but it doesn’t have to be first thing, usually end up having it after being up for a little bit.

Lindsay says:

I’ve never really been a late night person so mornings are much easier for me. I like getting work and a workout done early so it leaves the rest of the day! But….sleeping in on the weekends is a nice treat too 🙂

DEFINITELY a morning riser! I am sleeping by 9:30 regardless of what time I woke up that day. 🙂
    Coffee–no, Tea—yes!

Coffee is a MUST! I’m an early riser for sure. However, this week has been especially stressful, so the early mornings have really caught up to me! I haven’t even had time to blog. I’m hoping to get ahead of the game this weekend…hoping.

I’m glad your feeling a little more together!

Saw your run lady- way to get after it! 🙂 How do you drink your coffee? I’m totally curious and surprised I don’t already know. Hope you got to relax this weekend!!!

Kristin says:

If i don’t have coffee immediately, everyone is in danger.

Elizabeth says:

We had our sweet dumpling and acorn squash tonight!! Delicious!!

Dena says:

Morning riser! My little guy gets up at 6am and I must have at least 30 min on him to have my coffee, clear the cob webs and have a talk with myself about what a good day it’s going to be. For me, the first 30 min of my day is like the first few miles of a marathon – if you don’t get it right, the rest of the day/race is likely going to be poopy!

Kabocha…I’m a relatively new STUFTmama blog follower and bought me a kabocha today so I can see for myself what all this fuss is about. I hope to sort it all out for myself this weekend. 😉

I like that outlook in terms of the morning. 🙂 Did you try the kabocha?

• Dena says:

Had the kabocha last night for dinner (along side some grilled salmon). At the risk of sounding dramatic – oh my goodness, that squash is fantastically delicious!!! I knew things were promising when my entire kitchen smelled like sweetness as it was cooking! Very, very good, STUFTMama! My husband loved it (I pretended not to be hurt when he acted surprised that I made something tasty….). We’re both training right now so this will likely become a staple in our house until end of April. Nutrition is something we typically do a pretty poor job of. But, um, holy cow they’re a pain to cut up! Wondering if I can contract that out to somebody….

Sue says:

Morning. Definitely. Coz I feel I get so much done.

Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.wordpress.com says:

I’ve been a morning person ever since I was a baby (which my parents hated, haha) and wouldn’t have it any other way. That is unless I couldn’t have my coffee ASAP 🙂 I have become spoiled with the Cafe Du Monde chicory coffee that we buy and get shipped to us from New Orleans- it’s not as expensive as you would think. It is SO good and unlike any other coffee I’ve had. It comes in canisters so you don’t have to worry about it going bad any time soon. Hope you can stick with your morning routine 🙂

Marcia says:

Rock on! I’m STRUGGLING with getting up in the am – alarm goes off at 5:15, I snooze till 6. Boo. That’s encouraging though, I’m working on it. Thanks for sharing 🙂

1. […] off to bed I go to be ready for the new morning routine around here. Filed Under: Daily Life, Food Chat, Meals, Vegetables Tagged With: eating, food […]

2. […] think I’d learn. It’s time to get back to an evening curfew and try out the early morning thing (that really didn’t last too long to be […]