Evolution of the Breakfast Salad and the EVO Shoes

Workout:

AM- Taught 45 minute spin class

PM- Taught Y40X and step aerobics

Ran 4 slow treadmill miles to try out some new shoes.

I have a new favorite breakfast. Sure, maybe I’ve only had it two days in a row, but I’m already in love.

The breakfast salad is back friends. It has evolved.

It has gone from the ultimate pear breakfast salad to the sweet potato breakfast salad and is now my favorite one yet:

The Ultimate Strawberry Breakfast Salad.

(You know, since it’s getting close to spring and all and fabulous strawberries are at Costco.)

Here’s the low down on the salad.

I mix 3/4-1 cup egg whites (from my huge jugs of egg whites) with a Stevia packet, a splash of vanilla and some cinnamon and scramble it on the stove.

Then I put the sweet scrambled egg whites on top of a huge bowl of fresh spinach, top it with coconut oil, sliced strawberries, chia and PB2 powder.

Mmmm hmmmm.

Sunday.

Monday.

Yeah, I added a little of my favorite cocoa powder on it yesterday for a little something something.

I also had one heck of a snack before heading to the gym to teach my evening classes yesterday.

Want to see what was inside?

I made a modified version of white chocolate protein cookie dough with unsweetened almond milk instead of applesauce. It was a bit more like a yogurt type consistency, but then it gave me an excuse to add a little Kashi cereal we had leftover from Jenn’s Peanut Butter Balls.

So a couple of things I got in the mail recently…..

Woo hoo! Finally got my official Boston Marathon confirmation of acceptance last night. I’ve only been waiting for it for like 3 months. Ha.

I just now realized it’s 6 weeks away. Oh man, that makes me a little sick to my stomach.

And, well, I got some new Mizuno shoes

Not just any shoes though, the Evo Cursoris shoes.

Mizuno recently came out with a new line of Wave EVO shoes. These shoes are designed to be more of a minimalist shoe that seem to be getting a lot of hype these days.

There were a lot of runners waiting for Mizuno to come out with a minimalist style shoe. Well, they did, and might I say they did it well.

Many have made the switch to minimalist shoes and love it. To be honest, I don’t know too much about it or have much experience with minimalist shoes or barefoot running. What I do know is that these types of shoes are supposed to help with running form, help runners have a more natural midfoot strike and they’re designed to be flat with a zero ramp (zero drop) to help push off in an optimal way.

Here’s a great video that describes the features of the shoe and why they have them. I’ll let the expert explain.

How the experts developed the EVO Collection.

Pretty cool, huh?

I’m not sure if I’m ready to become a minimalist runner. My feet are super flat and I over pronate, but I have realized recently that as my mileage has increased and my body has gotten used to more running, I prefer a lighter shoe. It seems like I don’t need as much support as I used to. Kind of the same concept, yes?

Here are some important features about these particular shoes.

PRODUCT FEATURES

• Named after one of the oldest known bipedal creatures, the Eudibamus Cursoris.
    • Designed to provide a more stable platform and cushioning for someone transforming to a midfoot strike.
    • ZERO RAMP offset between the heel and forefoot provides a natural plane tailored to a midfoot strike.
    • WAVE TECHNOLOGY in the forefoot for maximum protection, comfort and a smooth ride.
    • Flat-bottomed forefoot design coupled with a wider platform provides stability and assurance from foot strike to toe-off.
    • 12mm/12mm heel-forefoot design offers a more protective ride.

[source]

These definitely feel very light and have a significantly wider toe box.

The natural fitting soles are pretty cool too.

In addition to these, Mizuno also came out with a lighter, even more natural version of a minimalist shoe called the EVO Levitas.

They have the same technology and concept, but are narrower and lighter.

PRODUCT FEATURES

• “Levitas” is derived from the Latin word for “light”
    • Designed with a narrower forefoot platform, the Wave EVO Levitas is the lightest and fastest of the EVO shoes.
    • ZERO RAMP offset between the heel and forefoot provides a neutral plane tailored to a midfoot strike.
    • 8 mm/8 mm heel-forefoot design offers a close-to-the-ground experience.

[source]

Besides just a few changes, the shoes are pretty similar in design.

Naturally, I decided to Google a bit about barefoot running for you and found these articles:

Running Barefoot Creates Less Collision Force Than Running in Cushioned Shoes, Study Says

Transitioning to Minimalism

I finally got a chance to browse through my Runner’s World magazine the other day.

There were a couple questions on running shoes and minimalist running worth sharing since we’re on the topic.

Interesting, huh? Some people love the change and some get injured. I guess it all depends on the type of runner you are.

(Side note- I was totally outside in my pajamas taking these pictures this morning. Like that huge hole in my pants? Lovely.)

Everything I’ve read says to transition gradually and not to run too much in minimalist shoes too soon. I did not follow directions exactly as instead of walking in my new shoes first, I took them on the treadmill last night for a short, slow jog to break them in.

I was a little nervous to change up my footwear with such a full race schedule ahead, but they felt pretty good. I noticed the wide toe box right away as they felt very roomy in the front. During the run my shins felt like they got a little more work, but other than than I didn’t notice anything too significant and this morning my feet feel fine.

I may just have to start incorporating these shoes into my shorter runs. We shall see.

What are your thoughts? Have you tried minimalist shoes before? If  so, have you noticed any changes in your running?

And, hey, if you don’t feel like talking about shoes or running, Judah wants to know if you want some of his “pie” he made this morning.

Doesn’t it look delicious?

Have a great day!

Comments

Kim Perry says:

It really does look like a pie! Or a large cupcake 😉
    I’m really nervous to try minimalist shoes. My feet/legs have been very sensitive in the past. But it’s interesting to think of it as a gradual transition to strengthen your muscles!

Meri says:

Can I ask you a question? I’m not trying to be rude, I genuinely want to hear your stance on it. You say you are so into ‘healthy eating’ but your food choices seem very strange and disordered at times. I am very health and fitness minded as well, so i understand wanting to keep sugar at a minium and eat whole foods, etc etc. But it seems like your ‘concoctions’ are so full of sugar-free this and that, and chemical-laden fake stuff – don’t you think it is better to have a little of the ‘real’ thing than all of artificial stuff. Also wondering why you don’t eat the egg yolks? You work out for hours and hours each day, so to restrict seems concerning and I’m just curious on your thinking behind some of your food choices.

Meri- I addressed this on my latest post. I try to limit my concoctions to one a day and have them in place of an entire bag of goodness knows what processed foods. They may not be the best, especially if someone is trying to stay away from sugar free things, but they help me avoid overeating other things. I just don’t like yolks that much so that’s why I like to add nut butter and/or coconut oil so I get my fat in there! 🙂

• Meri says:

thanks for replying. I guess my point is – you burn literally thousands and thousands of calories every day with how much you work out. I guess I dont get why the need for low-fat this, low-sugar that, PB2 vs. real peanut butter, etc. all of these replacements in your every day food. I would think you of all people could afford to use the ‘real stuff’ in your food.

Elizabeth @ my neon running shoes says:

I am running in the brooks pure flow which are zero drop (is that considered minimalist?) and LOVE them! Not sure if I will ever go back!

Brittany says:

First, strawberries are my most favorite fruit and those look delicious! About minimalist shoes, I personally don’t believe in them only because running shoe manufacturers have come such a long way to create shoes that support the body’s bones and joints that are stressed during the high impact nature of running. That being said, I am not going to knock someone who has found a shoe that works for them, but I just think that its a good idea to also have a more substantial shoe for longer runs. Also, I have to 2 pins in my foot to hold one of my bones together so I welcome the cushioning 🙂

CoMo says:

Congrat’s on Boston! And that pic of Judah is ADORABLE!!! He looks so handsome! 🙂 You have beautiful babies!

Natalie says:

Congrats on Boston!!! My husband is transitioning to a minimalist shoe right now. I tried last year and ended up with a stress fracture :/

debbie says:

Those look awesome! I’ve never used minamilist, but, I like the wide toe box on those & could be worth a shot.
    WOO HOO FOR BOSTON!
    So darn exciting!

Susi says:

Love the salad!! Where is Judah’s recipe? LOL. Congrats on the Boston!!!

Yay for BOSTON!

And seriously, how many shoes do you have now? Lol. I think you need to add a shoe count at the end of each of your new shoe posts 🙂

OH..between your shoe collection and your PC socks I am feeling a little jealous…but, glad to see it pays to be an ambassador. 😉 You deserve it!!

I had to look close at the pie….thought it was whipped cream at first…then I think I noticed a towel. ha!

Marti says:

i worked at a specialty running store for over two years and at this time minimalist shoes were making a big appearance! if you have a flatter foot and tend to over pronate i would suggest to be careful with minimalist running shoes. i think they are a great way for runners to build strength in their feet/arches, but don’t take these out for long runs right away! I have seen multiple injuries from people trying to do just that.. my advice would be to use these shoes as a tool to “strength train your feet.” Just my thoughts! 🙂 Injuries are NOT fun!

Lisa says:

Drooling over the new breakfast salad. I think I may make this for Dinner! It looks marvelous!
    Congrats on Boston! You rock!
    Um, I want some of Judah’s “pie” haha. Too cute. Like Mama like Son;)

Lindsay says:

I tried the Saucony Kinvara, and I definitely did a few too many miles too soon on them. Not going to make that mistake again. Overall, though, minimalist shoes feel like pancakes to me. I need a bit of cushion.

The white chocolate protein cookie dough looks DELICIOUS!

I did try minimal shoes before and ended up injured for over two weeks… too little too soon.

yum, I might try this tomorrow, I have all of the ingredients for the strawberry breakfast salad!

The color-way on those shoes are fresh. Digging the gradients.

LK says:

Those shoes look wonderful! I want to try minimalist, but I overpronate a lot and am prone to injuries 🙁 with all the exercise you do, how do you prevent injuries and ensure you are getting adequate nutrition for all the calories you are burning?

Julia says:

Can you buy Mizuno running shoes anywhere in stores? I bought my first pair online but discovered after a few runs that I should have gone up half a size. I need a new pair and really want to try them on first!

Corianna says:

I’ve noticed you wear the Elixir as your race shoe. I LOVE the elixir for everything up to a half marathon distance but I’m not positive if I like it for anything beyond 12 miles during training. Do you have a second pair of shoes that you like when on long training runs?

1. […] I didn’t have the ultimate strawberry breakfast salad for breakfast, I had it for lunch, complete with a little added […]

2. […] was awesome today. An ultimate strawberry breakfast salad with some apple cider vinegar on there just for kicks and a couple slices of my favorite bread on […]