Warning: Declaration of StatigramWidget::widget($args) should be compatible with WP_Widget::widget($args, $instance) in /var/www/app/wp-content/plugins/instagram-image-gallery/plugin.php on line 0
When to Fold ‘Em- The Post That Wasn’t

When to Fold ‘Em- The Post That Wasn’t

*Edit- This was written yesterday morning, but ironically as I went to publish it, my blog was down and continued to be down for 24 hours. It kind of goes nicely with this post though. Ha.

Workout Thursday night:

Taught a Y50X class (just like the Sweaty Sunday Workout) and then a strength training class.

My legs are really feeling it today since I had run yesterday morning too. Eeekkk… I didn’t even take any sweaty pictures of myself last night. I guess it’s your lucky day.

I have no idea what went into this stir fry last night.

I’m all about whipping together random things like the easiest stir fry ever, but last night was just my attempt to clean out the fridge. This afterlife sauce made it’s way on there though.

I also tried to be cool and use chop sticks.

I do know that a whole lot of goodness went into this creation of sweet cinnamon crisp peanut butter “nachos” the other day.

Yep. Flatout cinnamon crisps, some apple cinnamon Quaker Popped snacks, and a chocolate chip cookie dough Quest bar (microwaved for 15 seconds) topped with melted coconut oil, low calorie peanut butter frosting, PB2, chocolate Better ‘n’ Peanut Butter, etc.  Sweet nachos- good idea, huh? They were delightful and I have a feeling they’ll be repeated.

So, um, yeah, how do you know when to “fold ‘em” when you’re trying to balance being a mom, career, training, etc.? I think I’m about to “fold” with a few things. I had planned on heading up to the Natural Products Expo West either this weekend, but I have a feeling it just might be too much right now with my schedule. I always push myself a little too far.

I want to go. I mean I really want to go. I don’t want to miss anything. I want to see all the amazing products, talk to everyone, get a bunch of goodies, etc. but……..

I feel like I keep taking things on and not just focusing on things around here that need to be done. With another race on Sunday and the LA marathon next weekend, I’m feeling like I may be in a little over my head. Hmm… that’s weird.

I keep telling myself there’s always going to be another expo, event, race, etc. right? It’s okay to miss out on a few. I don’t have to do everything.

I know that what I SHOULD do is just be in the moment with my boys while I have the opportunity. I got a really great promotion awhile back and I better do my best to keep it up and keep my bosses happy. That should always be my number one priority.

Speaking of my bosses, yesterday, Judah gave my this flower and said, “I picked the perfect flower just for you mom”.

He later said to me,  “I don’t like you” after a little incident, but we’ll focus on the flower.

Joaquin colored me a picture.

He continued to remind me how much I loved it all day.

So, with that, I’m going to put my mama priorities first for the rest of the day. I think that’s the better decision for everyone.

I don’t “need” to go to the expo (although it would be amazing), I do need to go to the grocery store as we have no greens or more importantly broccoli slaw in the house.

Sometimes you just have to fold ‘em I guess.

Sometimes you also just have to start your day with an extremely strong almond milk mocha in a cool mug.

Sometimes you have to take deep breath, a step back and look at the big picture (even if it’s cloudy) and tell yourself to slow down.

photo

Sometimes you have to wonder why your toddler thinks it’s okay to say “I’m drinking poop.” when you give him his hot cocoa at 6:00 am.

Yeah, we better work on that, huh?

Have a good one!

Ever feel like you have to “fold ‘em”?

Comments

Holly says:

Good job saying no to something….I’ve read your blog long enogh to know that’s not always easy for you! There are MANY days that I need to fold ’em. You are not alone! BTW…My kids are 6 and 9 and would think the “I’m drinking poop” comment is HILARIOUS. Yep…all part of the job, right?!?

Good for you! You’re a good mama 😉 And in all things in life, it’s all about balance 🙂

Aime Snazel says:

I can totally understand how you’re feeling! My two little ones often remind me that sometimes all they need is just a little Mama time. Whenever I head out to teach a class or go for a run or a workout, I try to look at it as creating a legacy for the kids. Like for example, my kids often ask me if when they are “Big” they can run with me in a race, or come and exercise at the gym. I am thrilled by that. I don’t think its every easy for us Mamas to find that balance, but by doing what you did, and choosing to “fold” once in awhile, we make little steps of progression to finding that flow in our lives. So, good job! You’re doing great! 🙂

Kori says:

I agree with Judah, that IS the perfect flower!!!! & whenever I hear “I don’t like you” I say, well, I don’t always like you either, but I ALWAYS love you! lol & the pic Joaquin colored for you is perfect too!! Sometimes when we’re looking for an answer…..we get it…!

I missed you and your blog yesterday!

Glad you’re up and running again! 🙂

Hmmm….I am just happy I never think I am drinking poop….ha!

(I am afraid my dogs eat enough of their own poop to keep me unhappy for a very long time though…)

One can never argue against a “fold em kind of day” . Good for you!

You can never go wrong when you turn something down to spend more time with your family!! Hope y’all had a great day!!
    BTW – after seeing your super cool new Reebok shoes last week, I ordered some – love them!!!

as you know, i’m praying for you in this area. slooooow down.

Jennifer says:

This weekend I am slowing down and staying home. I have a sick toddler at home and love that it is forcing us to take a break and rest.it is needed sometimes. So I am focusing on spending time with her and resting- even thought got a great coupon to spend at JCP… Hmmm. Maybe only shopping wouldn’t hurt… Good luck tomorrow!

Jennifer G says:

I guess there’s more than 1 Jennifer here. 🙂 Anyway, BALANCE is a huge challenge for many of us — clearly you, too. It’s hard for those who tend to be type A personalities, over-achievers, perfectionists, etc….but so important. I hope you are able to allow yourself the ability to stop and breathe for a little bit. And of course, to enjoy those sweet toddlers. They grow up so fast.

Saying NO is a hard thing but it can be the best thing for you! 🙂

Oh girl… I’m right there with you! I’ll be praying for you for this, and you can pray for me too. It can be so hard to say no sometimes!

lorie says:

Well expos, races there will always be more. A little guy blessing you with a flower and telling you he doesn’t like you all in one day? Priceless.

You have got it soooo right mama! And I can’t wait until my kid says stuff like I am drinking poop. Your post literally made me laugh out loud at work like a weirdo.

1. […] things. Unfortunately I wasn’t at the cool food expo getting hooked up with goodies, since I decided to “fold ‘em” instead, but I was pretty […]