How to PR With Pro

Hello friends!

(And to my other friend, internet access, oh how I’ve missed you the past 24 hours.)

I have just a couple minutes to get this post written, so here goes nothing.

I ran the LA Marathon this morning with Pro Compression. It snuck up on me and I didn’t know if I was ready for it or not, but gosh darn it, I guess I was (or it was just my lucky day). Running the last mile with this speedy lady who pushed me to the end sure helped.

I finished in 3:20:03. I’ll take it. It’s a new PR for me, no big deal for Sarah.

I’m not the only one who got a PR, Monica got one too! Woot woot!

I’m pretty sure it was our compression socks.

And our “ears”. (Thanks Monica for those.)

So, a full recap of the marathon will be up soon, but I have some hooligans on the way home right now who are going to need all my attention. Who, by the way, keep trying to do magic tricks. Their most recent one is say “Abracadabra, make Mommy disappear” while waving their wands (unsharpened pencils).

Isn’t that lovely? Then they get mad when it doesn’t work. Ha.

Anyhoo,

for now I just have some quick tips how to PR with Pro. Yes? Yes.

Start getting really nervous about the race the day before.

Get lost not one, not two, but three times trying to get different places in LA (Sarah’s, the expo, Best Buy).

Hang with really cool friends and the best compression sock company ever at the expo.

Make sure to stop by your favorite Mizuno running shoe booth also.

Find out that they have some really cute shorts and are coming out with a brand new shoe later this year. I know, it just keeps getting better with this company.

Discover that you forgot your laptop charger. Find a Best Buy to spend $70 on one so you can be productive while you have time to yourself the night before the race only to find out you can’t access the internet at your friend’s house.

So, instead, find some quality TV (Celebrity Wife Swap).

Get your shamrock race outfit ready.

(Mizuno Elixir 8s, Pro Compression shamrock socks, Halo race visor, BIC Bands headband, Pro Compression shirt, Lululemon shorts and cool ears from Monica.)

Order an entire whole wheat cheeseless pizza for yourself and ask for jalapeños to be added on.

Be a little disappointed when the jalapeños don’t make it on the pizza, but decide it’s probably for the best.

Load the pizza with crushed red pepper and Cholula to make up for it.

Eat the entire pizza by yourself at 9:00 pm.

Arrive to the start early for a change. (I was there an hour and a half before the start time. That’s also a PR for me.)

Eat something different than the norm for your pre race breakfast.

(A PB2, chia sandwich with a banana and a strong coffee on the side.)

Meet up with friends yet again and meet a new friend Jillian, who might I just say, has great taste in shamrock socks.

Get a little upset when you find out that your corral is behind all the lettered corrals and the fastest pace group to stand with is an 8 minute mile.

Decide it’s okay to push your way up to the front once they open the gate. Also figure out that reeking of garlic and red pepper may be helpful in getting people to move out of your way.

And, well, power through 26.2 miles of a really great course to somehow make it across the finish line with a new PR. (Seriously, Sarah helped me so much that last mile. She was my hero.)

Um, nice shorts.

Well, that’s a wrap for now. Full recap will follow. At the moment I have to put some laundry away, hug my boys and decide what kind of wine and chocolate I will be indulging in later tonight to celebrate.

How was your Saint Patty’s Day? What did you do?

Comments

Congrats on the PR! Way to go. Love the outfit too!

Emz says:

Sweet job woman!!

Morgan says:

Congrats!!! It was def the socks- they rock! What an awesome day- cute socks, cool matching friends & PR :) now have some well deserved family time!

Jennifer G says:

Congratulations on your PR! That is amazing. I appreciated the race prep recap, too. :)
    Can’t say I was nearly as successful as you today. I didn’t do the half-marathon because I got some mystery injury in my leg a few days ago, and it’s still painful to walk. Disappointing but sometimes that’s how things go. And then I had to take care of my little guy who got a bad stomach bug yesterday. Next time.

I really wish I would have seen you this weekend! I did the relay. Didnt have a great time (my shoes were VERY uncomfortable today….which sucked and made every step at one point painful). But I learned a lot today. All the course support was amazing!

Um…have I told you lately how freaking amazing you are? Um. Ok., You are.

Jennifer mykytiuk says:

Congratulations! This brings back memories of running the LA marathon last year only we were running to the store for gloves and rain ponchos. I loved this race. The course was awesome and the people who came out to watch the race were amazing!

Kristin says:

Fabulous race! And you looked adorable too! Fast AND fashionable….nice.

Kim Perry says:

Awesome job! You three are amazing!

Gillian says:

It was nice to meet you! The socks were lucky for me too, I got a PR of 3:58:54 (3rd marathon and previous PR 4:13:35) Off to celebrate!!!

Congrats on the PR!! You’re awesome!!

Chelsea says:

Congrats on the new PR!!! That’s amazing! I can tell you, my St. Patrick’s Day didn’t involved nearly as much running, and socks that weren’t nearly as cute as yours, so pretty sure the point goes to STUFT Mama on that one!

Carli says:

Wonderful! Sounds like such a great time. I’ll be running my first race soon (an 8K) so I’ll be sure to keep these tips in mind. ;)

Amazing and congratulations! I think I need a speedy friend to help me out in my next marathon.

Leigh Smith says:

Yay, Kristin! Many congratulations on the PR! I did grocery shopping & a long run yesterday, with many hill repeats (minus the grocery cart, ha-ha) to get ready for my first half-marathon in about a month. Today, me and my ancient legs hadn’t recovered enough to get another short run in (which I had hoped to do). So … Not as good as your PR weekend, but I still felt it was a productive one for me and the fam. :)

Congrats on your new PR, you absolutely deserve it (and more!!!)

lindsay says:

you ladies are the coolest. YOu would probably lap me with all that speed! hehe. Love sarah, love you, love the socks, love the outfit, the pizza, love it all!

skinnyrunner says:

you are a stud, girl. way to finish strong!! and CONGRATS ON THE PR!

marti says:

Way to go!¡ awesome!!

janetha says:

holy crap! you are FAST. congrats!

RunEatRepeat says:

$70?! AH!!!!

You are AMAZING!!!! I love you! So glad we finally met :)

Jodeen30 says:

Congratulations on the PR! Great job! New follower of you and skinny runners blogs. I’m just starting to get into running and you two are a huge inspiration.

Congratulations on the PR! Your outfit is adorable.

meredith says:

Congrats on that PR! That is awesome. You girls are amazing. I need a pair of those compression socks, they are so cute and I really must try them out. I would love a pair with cupcakes printed all over them…I am up early here on the east coast to get ready to be a guest on Dr. Oz! My moment of fame…lol

You’re going to be on Dr. Oz????????? Tell me about it!

• meredith says:

OMG it was a totally amazing experience! I was a guest on the show discussing my “healthy” attitude after going through a divorce and keeping it all together for myself and my son through my healthy routine and now blogging about single motherhood and healthy lifestyle. I was a quite the celebrity for a few hours…and now I am home and working on homework with the boy lol. Back to reality. I am going to post a full recap most likely tomorrow!

Tess says:

Woot Woot! What a fantastic way to PR…..Lurve!

Andrea says:

Does pro sell that shirt?

Rene' says:

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! I wish that you could share some of your speed with me….

You guys are so cute….PRO peeps certainly pick good ambassadors!!! Nice run/PR too (for you and Monica)

Way to go on the PR! I’m amazed that you were able to run all of those miles with that headband bouncing around. Haha.

Congrats on the PR! Thats so awesome. And you all looked so cute!

Congratulations friend! I’m so proud of you! You are a machine!!!

I felt lazy after everybody was posting about running! I’m getting mine today though! Tony and I are running in a 5k (his first official race) on Saturday for the SPCA! I’m so excited for him!

Amazing new pr!! Oh man, $70 for a laptop cord and then no internet… grrrr. Maybe that extra frustration and the adrenaline from getting lost helped… I’ll have to remember that next time. :) Congrats again, you are amazing!!

Kelly Jo says:

GREAT PR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are awesome!!!!! and I love me some Mizunos too!!!!!

Annie Quinn says:

Congratulations! That is SO exciting. I wish I could run that fast!!

Joy says:

You are incredible! Congratulations on your PR. You and your friends looks so festive in your St. Patty’s compression socks.

Congrats on the new PR!! I loved your racing outfit. :)

Congrats Kristin!! So very happy for you and it sounds like a great weekend. Love the outfit too, especially the ears. And yes, my boys try to do magic tricks and make me disappear too. Nice, right?

Nicole says:

Awesome job on the PR!! I hope to be an 8-minute miler for the marathon by June!

Sharisse says:

Congrats!!! You are AWESOME!!!

Amanda F. says:

Kristin, I know this is going to sound so corny, but you inspire me every day. I love how hard you work toward your goals. You are such a great mom as well. You just all around rock! (Ugh I am sorry I sound like such a fan girl.) :)

1. [...] pass along a little recovery tip I learned from the the Pro Compression man himself while we were hanging at the LA Marathon expo. He said you should recover in compression socks not [...]

2. [...] ran some awesome races with some awesome results! SkinnyRunner, Monica at Run, Eat, Repeat, and Kristin at STUFT Mama all ran the LA Marathon, and kicked ass – Monica and Kristin even made PRs! Meghann at Meals [...]