Recovery Mode or Survival Mode

I’m in both.

I already know today is going to be long. For some reason these guys over here don’t really understand that Mama needs her sleep after a big race.

We’ve been up since 4:00 am. Isn’t that lovely?

At least they helped me out with a little laundry last night.

Oh man, not only am I in recovery mode today though (which looks like this by the way),

but survival mode also with the early wake up time and just trying to recoup. Yikes. Good thing I have nothing on my schedule. Oh wait, that’s not right. I have 4 classes to teach. Awesome.

I thought I’d pass along a little recovery tip I learned from the the Pro Compression man himself while we were hanging at the LA Marathon expo. He said you should recover in compression socks not sleeves.

Here’s why-

The socks keep the blood moving from the toes to the heart at a faster rate. When you just wear the sleeves, the blood doesn’t get down to the toes.

Calf sleeves are good for vibration and soreness, but when you’re recovering, you should go with the marathon socks.

Good to know, huh?

Anyhoo…..

I made sure to get my green in last night for Saint Patrick’s Day.

They sure didn’t forget the jalapeños last night. He he. I am the pizza queen. I am also the queen of doctoring cheese less veggie pizza up the right way.

(With Cholula, Scotty B’s ghostly garlic and nutritional yeast.)

We had a special wine last night to celebrate the PR.

Guess which glass was mine. He he.

Andrew passed up dessert, but I sure didn’t. No way. Not after a marathon. I piled everything I could in that bowl.

Ha ha.

Okay, so I’m going to do my best to get through the day. I wish I could follow all these recover rules from Women’s Running, but sometimes life gets in the way.

The race recap will be on the way soon. It’s just not happening right now. The only thing that’s happening right now is the making of a strong almond coconut mocha.

How do you recover from races?

Do you recover in socks or sleeves?

Anyone else in survival mode today?

Comments

Char says:

Way to go on the PR (and that glass of wine is very deserving!). I feel like when I recover I eat for days and stretch non-stop. Seems to help. I’ve found eating more protein the day after, helps with soreness. Could be in my head :)

I’m in survival mode from eating trashy Mexican food. I know better. Ick. Your survivial mode is much more respectable. Congrats on the PR!!!

Kim Perry says:

Super Mom! Congrats on your race yesterday!!
    I can’t wait to get my Pro Compression socks in the mail!! Any day now ;)

Cassie B says:

I am. And it sucks. Doing the relay (getting up for a race and sitting around for 5+ hours) really messed with me and my race. It was fun, but not sure I’d do it again. (I also didn’t fuel properly before and I’m REALLY suffering today)

I normally wear my procompression socks after a long run (OR just on a day my legs aren’t feeling too great) but I got a few blisters yesterday and needed slippers. I wish I could have put them on after.

I too, put those animal crackers on my ice cream last night. I grabbed about 6 bags post race! Congrats on the PR!

YES!!! My calves are mad at me today from the hills and I’m having a hard time walking up and down stairs. Thankfully Ryan only woke up once last night and AJ and Ryan slept til 6! That’s HUGE in this house. And I was in bed at 9 (lame).
    Can’t WAIT to read your recap!!!! xoxoxoxo

Amanda says:

I much prefer the socks to sleeves anyway so I’ve never bought sleeves. Good to know I was making the right choice!

Jennifer G says:

Even after long, non-race runs (or days of heavy exercise) I eat and eat and eat. And attempt to rest. I’m sorry you couldn’t do that one. :( I hope you get a day off to give your body the rest it needs soon!

Kristin says:

Way to go on a great race!! Wouldn’t it be nice if our children realized the importance of sleep and recovery?!? No breaks for mom…ever. I just started using compressions socks/sleeves. Sleeves to run in (because I’m a freak about using a certain sock) and socks to recover in. Only reason I do this is bc my running store “guy” told me so…I like to follow rules.). Hope you enjoyed that wine….best recovery drink ever.

Congratulations!!! You are a rockstar!!
    I hope you make it through the day and all those classes while trying to recover!

GREAT work yesterday. You definitely deserve a nice rest day :)

Chelsea says:

Teaching classes on a recovery day? I don’t know how you do it! I wish my recovery was nearly as…healthy? organized? as yours – it usually involves lots of naps, lots of water, a big bowl of Chipotle, and some sweats. :)

Thanks for sharing the info about compression socks versus sleeves. But I’m not sure I understand what you mean by sleeves are best for vibration . . .

Congrats on the PR!! That’s incredible!

Chels R. says:

4 classes?! You beast!

I much prefer the socks over the sleeves. Fo sho.

Aime Snazel says:

I seriously need to invest in some compression wear! I do not have compression socks or sleeves, but both are on my wish list for sure! My race season starts in April-gotta love Canadian winters!-so hopefully someone I love will hear my cry for compression wear! LOL!

That is so good to know about the sleeves vs socks! My feet always get SO swollen when I wear the calf sleeves for recovery. Trying to recover while taking care of kiddos… hahaha! I’m there with you today and I definitely wouldn’t call it *recovery* ;)

Total survival mode here! Dang kiddos seem to think it’s o.k. to wake at 5 a.m. and interrupt my alone time so I can get stuff done. But my legs are feeling mighty fine since I’ve been wearing my full ProCompression socks since my first 20 miler on Saturday. They are a life saver when I’ve been on my feet all day at work too! Love ‘em!

Natalie says:

Today was survival and recovery mode.

I always recover in PRO Compression socks, they are the best!!

morgan says:

recovery day for me today (even though I nowhere near what you did yesterday!) last week I got a wild hair & registered for my first competitive event- a sprint distance triathlon. so yesterday started the 12 week training with a nice back to back of all the events- legs feeling it today! transitions are going to be the hardest but my pink pro compression socks are keeping up with me :)

Bree Bond says:

Lemme come baby sit for you…. Haha or teach your classes! Seriously, you need a break superwoman!

Oh wow you are a beast for being up that early after a race day. The pizza, wine and dessert is definitely a must! I was so dehydrated after my last half marathon and wish I had brought a water bottle with me during it.

Christina says:

Geez I can’t imagine waking up that early after running a marathon… and I definitely can’t imagine teaching 4 classes!! Nice job! I usually recover with the marathon socks, I actually don’t have any sleeves so I guess I am biased! Nice job with the PR!!

After my last marathon I wore my CW-X compression tights and felt like I recovered so much more quickly. I also had a gigantic glass of red wine:)

elizabeth says:

Congrats on your marathon, what a great time!
    What all is in that dessert bowl? ARe you sure you can taste any of it after all that crushed red pepper? ;)

elizabeth says:

I don’t run races, but have tried the Pro Compression socks after long runs and they don’t fit me very well. Not enough compression on the lower part of my leg and the sock band is too tight on my upper calf, bummer because the socks are great, wish they fit correctly

Congrats!!! I don’t blame you for having that amazing dessert!!!! YUM!

That dessert looks amazing and well deserved after that awesome run! Thanks for the tip on recovering in socks vs. sleeves. I wish I had half your energy! Run a PR Marathon, take care of little ones, wake up early with the munchkins and teach multiple classes

Leslie says:

Wow your times are amazing. I wanted to cry, give up, stop…everything you name it. It was my first marathon and it was honest to god the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life. I will be back for more though, press on so to speak and continue on my running journey : ) You inspire me beyond words.

Leslie

Annie Quinn says:

Congratulations on your marathon! I’m impressed that you are teaching 4 classes. I can barely walk after I run marathons. Too bad you can’t teach those classes from your couch!

I’m about to try compression socks for the first time! I take it Pro Compression is the way to go?