Spring Scores- Training Shoes, Farmer’s Market and Sleep

Tuesday workout:

AM- Taught at BOSU class

PM- Ran 2 very slow miles on the treadmill at home

20 minutes on home elliptical while watching King of Queens (Definitely not my favorite show.)

Good morning!

Happy first day of spring! That’s today, yes? Holy smokes. Are you ready for it?

This guy is.

Or not. Um….

I guess I can’t blame him. I made my almond coconut mocha this morning with a dark chocolate CocoaVia packet and even added a little coconut oil in there. It’s darn delicious.

Some eats from yesterday.

It was hard to pass up this breakfast pie fresh out of the sandbox,

but my cinnamon sugar breakfast STUFTwich made with bread butts was calling my name.

Seriously, I love the butt ends of my favorite bread. They are the best.

After eating anything and everything in sight since the marathon Sunday (including way too much chocolate, NuttZo and an entire bag of Love Grown Foods granola), it was time yesterday to throw in a salad for lunch again.

I love using Scotty B’s Sweet Bacon Jalapeño sauce as a dressing.

So so good.

Quest Bar of the day yesterday was coconut cashew.

It did not disappoint.

So, yeah, I really wanted a whole day to rest and recover from the marathon, but that didn’t happen yesterday with my schedule. I was hurting a bit, but knew I had to teach a class. And, well, nothing motivates like new, bright spring colored shoes, yes?

Bring in the Sublite Train 1.0.

These are Reebok’s newest training shoe. This shoe is a versatile, lightweight trainer, that is perfect for multiple fitness activities.

I’m always sure to wear different shoes for training and indoor classes than I do for running. It’s really important when you’re doing various fitness activities with a lot of different movements (especially lateral movements), to have a good cross training shoe.

IMG_7695IMG_7696IMG_7697

Key product features/benefits of the Sublite Train 1.0:
- A shoe with the lightweight feel and agility you need for training without sacrificing the durability and cushioning.
- Litefuse upper construction offers lightweight structural support that won’t way you down.
- Medial support harness keeps your foot centered for stability
- 3D SubLite foam midsole for lightweight cushioning that is responsive and durable
- Raised dual density heel counter for the added stability you need for lateral workout movements
- Carbon rubber strategically placed on high wear areas of outsole

I wore these yesterday to teach my BOSU class.

I loved the lightweight feel of them. Heavy shoes are not good on those darn BOSU balls. They also provided just enough lateral support for all the different drills we were doing (jumping, lunges, jacks, etc.).

My first test class in them was a success. I’m going to break them in a few more times and then give another update, but I really like them so far.

And heck, could they be any cuter? Especially for spring?

So yesterday we ventured out to the local Farmer’s Market. That’s what you’re supposed to do for spring, right?

I really wanted some hummus, but after trying to explain to both my boys why it’s not okay to double dip in public, we had to get away from that stand pretty quickly.

Unfortunately, jalapeños (or any other kind of chili peppers) were nowhere to be found. The guy told me that it wasn’t the right season. Dang it.

But, we did score this bad boy for just $3.

How awesome is that? So much bigger than the size of a kabocha squash I could buy for the same price.

Obviously we had some roasted cabbage (along with roasted carrots and salmon and a few other things) for dinner.

Weird that the boys didn’t touch it. Oh well, I guess I’ll just try again tonight. We have just a little bit to get through. Ha.

And….. I finally got a good night’s sleep last night. It was much needed. I know I’ve talked about the importance of sleep on here a bunch of times, but I saw this article about how lack of sleep can age fat cells and lead to weight gain yesterday so I decided nothing was more important than getting to bed early last night. (Even watching The Biggest Loser finale, which I have yet to watch.)

Okay, I’m off. Have a great first day of Spring!

Comments

Kim Perry says:

DId you end up getting hummus?! Those flavors look tasty!!

Andrea says:

i would totally eat those veggies. they look delish! who cares what the little people think! ;)

Kayla says:

Bread butts are the BEST! Haha :)

Chelsea says:

I can’t believe it’s almost farmer’s market season (the one in my town won’t open for another month or so) – one of the best times of the year! That hummus spread looks AMAZING, although I can see the problem presented by little hands ;)

Thanks for sharing that article! I can’t believe how much and how quickly lack of sleep impacts metabolism. Crazy! I’ve been better about regimenting my sleep schedule, but now I am going to make a big effort!

I can’t wait to go to the first farmer’s market of the year! It’s not quite done being cold and snowing here yet though. It’s quite startling to see your boys in short sleeve shirts as I’m currently wearing boots and a thick sweater… Indoors :P Haha.

Love the new pink Reeboks. I definitely know who to ask for advice when I’m in the market for new athletic shoes!

YOU WENT TO A FARMER’S MARKET!!!!! Ugh…so jealous!!!! It’s windy and about 13 degrees here….feeling a lot like January to say the least. A farmer’s market is so far from my thinking right now I just want 40 degrees….is that too much to ask?

Can your hubby hire me at the zoo??? And can I tent out in your backyard until say…June 21st??? That is the first day of summer and I am thinking MN should be bearable by then!!!

Side note….so your not a one shoe kind of gal??? They way you love Mizuno I can’t imagine you loving Reebok as much. ;-) I am a Brooks gal all the way. Crazy what our feet know about what we like.

Christina says:

I love the farmers market! That looks so fun! I’ve seen a lot about these quest bars. I’m thinking that I should try them! What is your favorite kind?

That is a HUGE cabbage. There’s a roasted cabbage recipe that is easy & I love that you might like: http://greenlitebites.com/2010/06/28/roasted-grilled-cabbage

Simple and awesome. :)

I wish it was a warm spring. Its like 40 here, ah go away cold! I love your stuft sandwiches, I think tomorrow I will sprinkly my english muffin with cinnamon and stevia, maybe some apricot jam too, yum. I love the coconut quest bar, so good!

Nicole says:

Can I just say that I LOVE your cat?!! So cute! :)

I want those shoes!!! :) Now for the look on the cat’s face !!! ;)

I will have to search out that flavor quest bar. I tried the banana muffin one & was not a fan of that flavor…

elizabeth says:

Did you ever do a full review of the Wave Musha? I was wondering what you thought of them? I noticed that you always wear the Elixir for races, so maybe you don’t like the Musha as much? Did the Musha give you foot pain, I remember the other day you had foot pain on your long run, but I guess it didn’t last, because you just pr’d your marathon! You are lucky to avoid injury!

Oops, I don’t wear a cross training shoe when I do Bob Harper or Jillian dvd’s at home, but I’m not doing them every day so I hope running shoes are okay? I know cross trainers would be better, so I’ll have to check out a Reebok cross trainer sometime.

I need to do a full review. Thanks for reminding me. I like them, but have not ran in them enough to feel comfortable going long distances. Hopefully one of these races coming up.

Elizabeth says:

Been on a HUGE cabbage kick here! Huge like 2-3 heads a day. My kids love it so I don’t feel guilty buying/eating large quantities. I semi shred it and then steam/stir fry with pinch of coconut oil. Absolutely spot on delicious– salt added too!! Hugs. E

I was JUST looking at those shoes online! They look super cute and I always need some lateral support.

I’m amazed that you could teach a class after running a fast marathon… pure awesome you are :)

Dena says:

I think I might get those shoes – super cute!. I’ve been wearing my running shoes to fitness classes but they for sure don’t offer enough lateral support and my feet hurt (more than my quads!) after a class. No bueno. It’s not payday yet but what the heck…

I wish the farmers market was open already here! the city public market is, but there is another much fresher one that opens come warmer weather!

Christine says:

Oooohh. I better get lots of sleep then! ;)

thank you for reminding me about the Farmer’s market. we have one today at work. And they sell “almond hummus”. its pretty darn good. and locally made. :D

angela says:

taught a spin class and a pilates mat class… and I want to try your favorite flavor of scotty b’s sauce. I love hot sauce and garlic… and running (altho I am a natural sprinter, working on endurance:)

1. [...] ever since our find at the Farmer’s Market last week, I’ve been eating a ton of cabbage. I’m pretty sure I ate that whole huge cabbage [...]

2. [...] year the most exciting thing that happened on the first day of spring was finding a ginormous head of cabbage at the Farmer’s Market. This year I’m excited about so many things I don’t even know where to [...]