Well, That’s an Ironic Injury

Friday Workout:

2 mile slow jog on the treadmill (barely made it through, awesome details to follow)

55 minutes on the elliptical

Saturday Workout:

Taught boot camp and did a very modified version of pretty much everything we did.

So, yeah, how ironic that I just wrote a post about all this exciting upcoming race news and not only could I not do the run I had planned yesterday, but now am sitting icing my crotch and researching osteitis pubis.

Nice.

Funny how life works sometimes, yes?

Also funny that these guys think it’s cool to pretend to be in “jail”. Hmmm….

Not sure how I feel about that one.

So yesterday, I got the the gym in some pretty serious style if I do say so myself.

Ha.

My groin/crotch area was bothering me a bit on the left side, but I didn’t think it was a big deal. After a quick shoe change into my Elixirs and ditching my pants,

I thought I would do an easy 7 miles on the treadmill.

Um, no.

Didn’t quite work out that way. At all actually.

As I started running slow, the pain got worse. I decided to shorten my run a bit, but as I kept running it started hurting even more. Part of me was telling myself I should just keep going, and the other part of me was saying to stop.

I stopped at 2 miles and switched over to the elliptical which didn’t seem to bother it.

Ugh. At least there was something good on TV to distract me. It’s also much easier to read on the elliptical.

Naturally I spent last night trying to do some Google research on what’s wrong me. Isn’t that what you’re supposed to do?

I think I might have osteitis pubis.

I found this short write up about it and it seems to be exactly what I’m experiencing.

Information and Rehabilitation Advice for: Osteitis Pubis (pubic symphysitis)

I’m really hoping it’s nothing too serious yet. I’m also trying to be smart for once. I’m resting, icing and listening to my body. I’m not going to lie, it’s much easier for me to just keep pushing myself than it is to rest and take the advice of others (including medical professionals), but I’m trying.

I have such a busy demanding schedule coming up on the next month so I really need to take care of this now.

Other random thoughts I’m having about it:

Thank goodness it’s now and not 3 weeks from now. I still have some time before Boston and some other big races coming up, so hopefully all will be better before then.

I’ve been telling myself for a very long time that I should be smarter about recovery and stretching, etc. I don’t foam roll, I don’t stretch. I should. I’m viewing this as a wake up call to get my act together.

It’s good to be humbled every once and awhile. Right when I’m feeling all cool about all my big events coming up, this happens. It’s good to put things into perspective.

I’m very fortunate that I have been able to run injury free for as long as I have. Hopefully this is just a temporary thing, but it’s all part of the journey.

On a much lighter note, we had our first official family movie night last night. We’d been planning it all week.

And, well, it was awesome.

We all had movie snacks too. My snack of choice was strawberries topped with a little plain Chobani mixed with sugar free maple syrup and sprinkled with some PB2 and my favorite cocoa powder.

This morning I tried to teach Kitty how to make me a really strong almond coconut mocha.

He doesn’t quite have the skill yet.

I also tried to be a good mama and bring home breakfast for my boys after my boot camp class.

They’re getting a little too used to it I think because as I was leaving Judah yelled out to me “Bring us home some breakfast, K Mom?”

Oh, and, I know I’ve said it before, but seriously, the GNC Total Lean Vanilla Bean shake is the best coffee creamer around.

Which reminds me, for some reason my blog is being all wacky and my GNC post from earlier today is out of order. In case you missed it here it is:

The Total Lean Saturday Workout, Healthy Traveling Tips and Some Inspiration

Oh, and there’s still time to enter the Scotty B’s hot sauce giveaway.

Enjoy the rest of your Saturday.

Have you ever heard of osteitis pubis?

Anyone else have trouble making yourself rest?

Comments

Oh no! So sorry to hear you’re injured right now… wishing you a speedy recovery.

Chelsea says:

I hate resting! It’s the worst! Sorry to hear that you’re injured – sounds like an especially bad spot to be feeling pain. :( Hopefully it will go away quickly and you’ll bounce back like a pro!

Debbie says:

girl, sounds like you got a little OCD running in your veins pushing yourself that hard! haha. So sorry to hear about your injury, but make sure to take care of yourself and let it heal. If you don’t you will only make it worse which will just cause more injuries in the future! I know it’s frustrating, but your health comes first :) I hope you have a speedy recovery!!

OUCH! That is not good mama! Please get rest! I am the worst at taking it easy. I push until I can’t push anymore. I’m a good coach though, so I preach it like nobody’s business! ;)

I hope it feels better soon! Definitely take it easy now. You have a busy schedule coming up! Big hugs friend and put those feet up! Maybe kitty will bring you a treat! Love ya lady! xoxo

LOL – love that they played “jail” I know my sister and I did stuff like that too. Ouch on the injury. Rest up. I know it’s not easy of course. But you definitely don’t want to do anything to make it worse.

Dena says:

So sorry to hear about your injury. I do sincerely hope you continue trying hard to rest and nip this in the bud. Although I’m nowhere near as fabulous or fit as you, I had my first injury one year ago (SI Joint/Piriformus muscle) after running too much/soon after childbirth and I’m still not even back to 70% normal. Pushing it and trying to fix on my own has only served to make me miss a lot of joy in my running and has landed me in PT 3 times a week now. :-( . You are so on a path for great success and longevity in this sport, Stuftmama, so do the right thing in the short-term no matter how hard. If I could do the last year over again…. Take care!

I too started running too soon after having the boys. I definitely learned the hard way back then. Ugh. Glad you’re getting there, but sorry about PT 3 time a week. That’s not fun. :(

meredith says:

I have never heard of it but I have been googling about my groin the last few days. Like I have been saying to friends, “my groin doesn’t hurt, it has just been saying good morning this week.” Meaning, I am feeling something in the morning when I first wake up. I am not very good at rest days. Taking it is easy is not one of my finer qualities. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Oh, no!! Dislike! Injuries are the worst… although as you said, if you take it easy, hopefully it’s no big deal. I’ve never heard of OP… I’m terrible at stretching, too. I’ve finally gotten better at foam rolling (maybe once a week? Ha!) but could definitely take more preventative measures. Crossing my fingers it’s feeling better asap!

I have NEVER heard of this….yum, like I have heard of every injury right? ha!…..Then, all I can say is, “Noooo!” This can’t happen to you…you have a ton of stuff coming up. Rest, ice, get better and maybe get an X-ray to know for sure (yea, that’s the mother in me coming out I guess).

Hoping you feel better sooner than later!!

Boy, I thought I had heard of every injury in the book. I’m not familiar with this one. Take good care of yourself–I’m sending positive vibes for a speedy recovery your way!!

Catherine says:

Wishing you a speedy recovery! Injuries are very frustrating. Hang in there!

Gillian says:

Osteitis pubis is not a very common condition. Although it is possible you have this I would recommend an X-ray of your pelvis and hips to check for any signs of femoral neck stress fracture. This is far more common cause of groin pain (especially unilateral) in endurance runners. If you want to email me glssoles@gmail.com then i can help you more/recommend an Orthopeadic doctor in your area. I’m an Ortho trauma surgeon :)

elizabeth says:

I agree that making time for stretching is so important, I have to keep my body stretched out and strong, so I can run. I used to have major IT band problems, but since I’ve regularly added stretching(yoga dvd’s) to my schedule, IT band has been great. For me, yoga is more beneficial than foam rolling, but more time consuming.

Oh man, I really need to add yoga into my routine, Thanks Elizabeth!

• elizabeth says:

Too bad some of your teaching classes aren’t yoga! I do enjoy my at home yoga dvd’s, but when busy, its hard to slow down and take the time. I’ve never actually gone to a yoga class.

Wishing you well! I have started thinking about rest as if it were a “workout” to help make myself “do it well”– haha crazy, I know, but that has helped me a bit. And like you said, this will give you the time to get REALLY GOOD at stretching and other important things that are often forgotten when you’re able to run. Take care and heal fast!

andrea says:

From one fitness instructor/ marathoner to another please Rest!!!!!! I ran and taught all last year through numerous marathon’s a triathlon and teaching classes and guess what I had to defer from my dream race the goofy challenge and am just being taken off restriction of teaching and can’t add running back in until may 1st. I have not run since February 4th. Ahhhhhhh!!!!!! My knee is still a mess but they think if I take it easy adding things back in, ice, stretch,and follow the doctors orders I should be able to run Disney in January and then have surgery after that. I had to rest for 5 weeks of nothing and that was the longest 5 weeks for me and my family. We are all happy atleast I can start adding things in slowly and see how that goes. I will be praying for you and this situation for sure.

Oh Andrea- I’m so sorry to hear about your knee. That is not fun at all. I so hope you can run Disney in January. Crazy how life works, huh? Hope all goes well adding things back in friend. Will be praying for you as well!

Jennifer mykytiuk says:

I was just wondering how you can do so much running and not get injured! Three weeks into my marathon training guide I got tendinitis in my foot/ heel. I am still recovering but I know I am not resting as much as I should. It is killing me to rest. Hope you recover quickly. Maybe some stretching will do the trick!

Lady! You NEED to foam roll! I am shocked that you don’t! Seriously!!! I couldn’t make it through running/teaching fitness classes/life without mine!!

Go get one.

NOW!

(use the money you are saving on the squash?)

Caroline says:

This could be tendinitis of the adductor …groin injury are to be taken seriously. I had that. It takes a long time to get better. I did not listen to PT at first and kept on running. It only got worst and took more time to get better. Good luck to you. ( also if the pain is worst when you sneeze or cough… Get this checked for hernia)

Christina says:

Oh no! I’ve been keeping up with your awesome marathoning and hopefully this is just a little thing that will go away in a couple days. I don’t know how one foam rolls the groin area … I would imagine this one might be more of something healed over “time”. But, foam roll everything anyway, I’m on Mr. Foamie now daily since I’m in the peak mileage for this marathon :) Speedy recovery on this!!!

Dang it. I need to start foam rolling. Have you ever used The Stick? Is it similar?

• Christina says:

I have the regular foam roller, not the stick, but I’m thinking of getting the stick too. It makes for easier travel packing. My sports chiro said he likes the stick a lot for targeting areas better. I mainly roll my IT band on one side that I’ve had issue with in the past, just to keep it under control, and think the traditional foam roller works better for that area. Not sure how to do the groin, the stick may be better for that area?

ugh, I’m so sorry you’re dealing with an injury…but it does seem like you have a great attitude about it–better now than later when you have all of those fantastic races going on! Not to sound like a know-it-all, or like your mother, but I definitely think you should start stretching more ;) I started using the foam roller after my runs recently (since this past Christmas). I never roll for more than 2 minutes, and it doesn’t feel like much when I’m rolling out my legs, but I’ve been able to see a huge difference in my recovery. Just something to consider :) I hope you’re recovered soon!! And yes, I struggle with rest days too…

Oh Danica I know. I NEED to foam roll. Thanks for the reminder. I better buy one ASAP. You’ve really noticed a difference in your recovery?

• I have! Honestly, while I’m foam rolling it doesn’t seem to be doing much, but ever since I’ve done it (and I’ve done it consistently after ever run, no matter how short or far it is), my quads and hammies are rarely every sore anymore. And that’s totally worth the $8 and 3 minutes per “rolling session” it takes! :)
        Between my foam roller and compression socks, I’m rarely sore from a run anymore.

A good friend of mine is going though this exact same issues. She was told to stop running for now. She is now going to therapy a few times a week for it. She foam rolls her glutes, inner thighs, calves and hamstrings as they are all connected. It’s called NMT therapy– here is a little bit about that- maybe you have something like this where you live! Good luck to you!!! http://hadleyclinic.com/?page_id=34

Amy says:

Hi Kristin! I’ve been reading your blog for a while now and I’m always so impressed by your speed and ability to run and teach so much! I too struggle with resting enough, but if you have pain in the groin region I really recommend getting it checked out. I ended up on crutches for 6 weeks after a half last spring and was unable to run for four months! It was very tough to be forced to rest for so long. An MRI showed that I had a stress fracture in the femoral neck. It definitely began as groin/hip pain, so just please be careful. I really hope that your pain is just temporary and you can stick to your awesome marathon schedule. Good luck!

Yuck!! Injuries are the worst!! If it’s intense pan in the groin area you might make sure it’s not a stress fracture. ( I had one in the fall – no fun.)
    Hope it’s nothing and you are back to running soon!!

In your groin area? What was it exactly Kim?

• Kim says:

Kristin, when I had a hip stress fracture, it was one of those injuries that I noticed immediately. On a Saturday I ran 10 miles and when I finished my groin area was sore – I chalked it up to not having run the past week. The following Monday I did a fast 6 miles. By the time I got out of the shower every step hurt. Over the next couple of weeks there were times when just standing I felt my leg start to give. I continued to workout (just no running). Long story – took forever to get the correct diagnosis and I continued to run (with a huge limp) until the first part of December (3.5 months) – it was a stress fracture. Dr. wanted me on crutches for 8 weeks and zero activity – I did low impact stuff and skipped the crutches (after 1 day) for 6 weeks. I started running again in early January and have been fine since.
        Stress fractures rarely show up on Xray. Because of swelling on mine even the MRI was skewed and I had to have a CT with dye.
        Sorry so wordy here!!!

Yikes! I hope you feel better soon. Injuries suck and I have no patience for them. Ever though I have absolutely no choice in the matter at this moment. It’s still really hard to rest.

Bobbie says:

Ugh, I have to say I do know what you are talking about! I suffered from it through my first pregnancy and also a couple of months post-partum (3 years ago), and again now at 7 months pregnant. I ran through my entire first pregnancy and have been through this one as well. I experience a pretty constant dull throbbing in my pubic bone, as I explain it. I guess it must not be as severe as your pain though because although it is uncomfortable, it’s not so painful that I would stop running.

My OB blames relaxin & loose ligaments and has told me it’s okay to run as long as it really isn’t painful. Anyway, I don’t think you are pregnant, so my experience doesn’t apply to you, but at least you know someone else knows how you feel. I have not found any type of exercise or stretching that relieves the discomfort – I wish I had! Please report anything you find to help and good luck with your recovery!

Funny you should mention that you’re pregnant because it is totally similar to a pain I had when I was pregnant too. Weird. But, no, I”m not pregnant now so who knows what this is. I’ll let you know if I find out stretches or exercises that help!

Oh no! I hope that since you’re taking care of yourself now, that this doesn’t become anything serious. I am currently nursing psoas tendonitis and going crazy with the whole *rest thing*! Ha! It cracks me up how confused my non-runner/athlete friends & fam are about why it’s so difficult to rest :) Healing wishes for you!

Oh no!! Boo to injuries!! I’m so sorry but I’m glad that you’re resting and icing and I hope that it gets better soon. PS my boys play jail all the time. haha.

Laurie says:

My friend Marcia just sent me the link to this post and thought I should share my story with you. I have pubic symphysis as well! It can be caused by many different things but mine was originally caused by a direct blow to the area (a 3-year olds head-butt to the pubic bone can do some serious damage to a woman who is 8 months pregnant!). That was 10 years ago and I have not had much trouble with it since, except when I was pregnant again. This winter I bumped up my runs to longer distances in order to prepare for a half marathon, 25K, and then a marathon. As I got to about 7 miles, I just couldn’t run beyond that. Within a few days, I could not run more than a mile. I have been to 3 different physical therapists as well as a women’s health specialist. I was told by all of them to rest and then strengthen. I was told by one that I would never run again without proliferative therapy (read about it here: http://nhicwestmi.com/services/prolotherapy). And then I heard about neuromuscular therapy (NMT) at this place: http://hadleyclinic.com/?page_id=34. I am happy to say that I feel a difference after just a few weeks of therapy! I have dropped out of the spring runs I was training for but I am confident that with a short break from running, shuffling, high-impact cardio, etc. I will be able to pick back up this summer. I am careful to not stress the pubic joint much and am regularly rolling in four specific places. I am doing a lot of spinning, upper body strength training and elliptical workouts instead of my usual. I know, it sucks, but I keep telling myself it will be worth it in the end! Good luck with your injury and your running!

Oh man, so sorry you’re dealing with that. Ugh. I’m checking out your therapy link you sent over. Where are you rolling (if you don’t mind sharing)? Thank goodness though for spinning and the elliptical, right? Maybe we can help each other mentally. You have a lot of great races ahead. :)

• Laurie says:

I am rolling my calves, hip/butt area (a triangular muscle whose name I cannot remember), adductors (inner thigh, all the way up to groin), and lower back. I use a rolling pin for the calves and thighs, a softball for the hip/butt, and two softballs in a sock with a know between for the back. The adductors are the hardest to really dig deep into. I find that using a larger foam roller for the upper thigh is more effective, albeit an awkward position :) I hope you can find someone in your area that does NMT. It is making a big difference for me! Good luck!

I am dealing with the same thing – and I have a marathon on april 14th. AKA major freak out mode. I’ve already taken 2 weeks off from running and I am finally getting some pain relief. I did go to the doctor to get xrays to see if it is a stress fracture because if it is, welp I’m out for 6 months to a year :[ The bike really helps me though – I feel like it loosens that area. When I “ran” with that pain it felt like someone was kicking me in the vagina. Not cool.

Did you go to the doctor?????? Yeah, I get that kicked in the V feeling too. Not fun at all. Hope things go well at the doctor and it’s not a stress fracture.

I have never heard of that, I hope you feel better soon! I know with your crazy schedule and upcoming races resting will be hard.

Christy Diller says:

To preface this, I am PT: lots of times with endurance runners you get glute weakness and you end up with pressure from your femoral head pushing anteriorly…causing groin pain….hit the glutes hard (bridges, etc), slow down on abs, and try sidelying clamshells and hip abduction (side leg lifts)..you can do those things in standing too and hit them a LOT…that said, taking a short break from running can help too….you can google “anterior femoral glide” for more info to see if that is anything close to what you are experiencing…good luck, that really stinks especially with so much coming up right now!

Hey Christy- Hmmm….. not sure if that’s what I’m experiencing, but heck I’m going to step up my glutes and those exercises. So, slow down on abs????? That intrigues me. I had leg perthes as a kid. Would that have anything to do with this?

A lot to comment on here but I am short of item so just got to say UGH on that supposed injury thing… glad you even wrote about it – never heard of it but never had it either in all my years of exercising… Hope it all gets better or you find a solution!!!

On the “creamer”, I saw Lindsay Cotter suggest the Designer Whey Vanilla protein drink for creamer. I don’t use creamer but what a great idea & especially if you want some extra protein & adding it to coffee – delish!!!!!

Amy C. says:

I hope you feel better soon! I had a rough race this morning at Hot Chocolate, so maybe I was having sympathy pains for you. My knee started acting up…..has never done that before. I am hoping a good foam rolling on the IT band will help it out. But I have a hard time making myself rest as well. Want to stay active…..especially since I am about to start my 4th week of Insanity!!!! Ugh! Take care of yourself though so you can kick some ass in your upcoming races!!!! <3

Hope your knee is feeling better Amy. Is it? Yes, resting is so darn hard. Wish it wasn’t and we could just enjoy it. Why can’t we? :)

• Amy C. says:

Thanks Kristin! It seems to be doing better, but not ready to run on it again. “Trying” to take it easy! Hahaha! So hard to do! Hope your “groin” is feeling better!!!!

Samantha says:

While I haven’t done that particularly injury I have done a couple of ones in past few years that were brutal to rest for (one calf and one ankle – it is never like your damn pinky or wrist you know?). You have to do it. You have to. It sucks bad but I have always come back strong when I have done it right. Hang in there.

Susan says:

You know, I am with ya – different injuries, but just the whole injury thing. I have hamstrings that like to rear their ugly head from time to time, and as I have gotten older (I am a lot older than you -52), it takes longer and longer to recover. I find myself in a pool rehabbing the hamstrings more often than I would like, but I found that if I do what my sports ortho. Doctor says, it works – not as fast as I would like! Hang in there and be a good patient!

Wendy says:

Hi Kristen!

I’m sorry to hear about your injury. I was actually misdiagnosed with Osteitis Pubis. Not to scare you, but mine was very painful could not run and icing helped with only temporary. If your pain persists or gets really unbearable get an MRI. I was running for 5 months with 2 pelvic stress fractures. It took months to figure this out and I still tried to run. Take really good care of yourself and rest up. Hopefull.y you heal quickly!

Thanks Wendy. What did your turn out to be? The pelvic stress fracture? Yikes. How are you now?

• Wendy says:

Hi Kristen- It was two stress fractures from overuse injury(i.e. from running way too much). I was told i had to stop running on it for up to 6 months to allow it to heal. I was misdiagnosed several times until i had the MRI which showed both fractures. That was 2 years ago, now I run some but cut it in half and stick to only short races if I do any. Funny thing is I don’t miss all of the long distance stuff- I focus now more on weight training. How are you feeling? If its not better, definitely get looked at?

Elena says:

Ugh – so sorry to hear about that. I don’t stretch or roll either and i KNOW I have to start doing that. Two years ago I fell off my bike on a training ride and broke my leg – that put me out for months. It really stinks and it actually pushed me into a mild depression I think. Take care – the better you are about resting the quicker you will heal and get back to doing what you love. I know it’s SO HARD but take it easy!

I think it’s really hard to not get down or depressed when we’re injured. It’s out of our control. Ugh. So sorry about your bike incident. Hope all is good now Elena!

Julia says:

I’m a division 1 lightweight rower and our coach is always stressing the importance of rest and recovery. He constantly reminds us to take off on Sundays and not all in any additional workouts to the training regiment. Because of the nature of the sport and our small(ish) size, our team is prone to rib injuries (muscle sprains and rib fractures), but we are always told to let our bodies heal rather than trying to push through the pain and resulting in a long term more serious injury. Take care of your body and let it recover! Then get right back into training!!

Chels R. says:

Seriously take care of yourself now and you will be so much happier in the long run! I suffered a hip flexor pull about a year ago that sounds kind of similar to your issue and I had to scale way back on the running, and just cross train/yoga etc. It took a few months to heal. Injuries are so frustrating but it’s your body’s way of telling you to take it easy. Very humbling too! Be nice to your body and try to stay positive, I know it’s hard but you will be so thankful later and definitely more sensitive in helping others in the future when it comes to injuries and things like that :-)

Kim Perry says:

Thinking positive thoughts for you!! Can’t wait to see you in Boston!

Mari says:

Love your blog everyday!

Forced rest makes me crazy but I have been a lifelong runner and I know about injuries lingering because I didn’t rest! Rest works but it’s maddening. I was forced to swim, which made me just decide not to do anything :) Because of injuries I ignored, I can only exercise in moderation now so glad ur listening to your body!

Anyhow, I made that muffin this AM. I didnt have eggs so used flax seed meal. WOW! Thanks. Keep em coming!

Oh…. good to know it worked with flax. I’ll have to try that. Mari- thanks for the pep talk too! :) Hope all is well with your previous injuries. :)

Making yourself rest is one of the hardest things in the world to do when running and being active is as big of a part of our lives as it is.

I hope you start to feel better soon, relax you are on the home stretch to Boston.

I make Greek yogurt sundaes allll the time. Like seriously.

guisella Tesoro says:

Please check this:

Have you made for sure your two legs have the same length?

Perhaps you should take some vacation..and let the inflammation go away. Cats claw extract is very VERY good for any inflammation. Hope you get better soon.

1. [...] keep thinking about what happened a year ago. This was the weekend that this happened. I couldn’t run, I was in serious pain and things were not good. So [...]